Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you remember the Barry Goldwater campaign?

My parents were ardent supporters. They were never so excited about a candidate, before or after. His loss in 1964 absolutely devastated them. It was the closest Daddy ever came to crying, at least in my presence. Mother never took a heavy interest in politics after that. Daddy tepidly supported Nixon in ‘68.

What are your memories?

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2019 8:52 PM

I remember a bumper sticker: AuH20

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 10:41 PM

My daddy was crying too.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 10:41 PM

They gave me a can of “Goldwater” but it was just ginger ale. I was very disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 10:51 PM

I was a preteen when my mom took us kids to a Goldwater rally in Wichita Kansas. We were 5 of the total of 14 people there. We went because my mom wanted us to see a political rally and nobody of any party ever came to Wichita. My parents were Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey Democrat’s, as am I and siblings. Goldwater was a good speaker but mom said he was a wackadoodle. I got the morning off school so I still like the old(dead) gas bag! DJT is an even bigger nut and even gassier. I wouldn’t cross the street to see the old crap pants.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 10:58 PM

I admired Goldwater (still do) and probably would have voted for him if I'd been old enough (had to be 21 then and I was 16). My previous political hero (when I was 9) had been Adlai Stevenson, so LBJ's politics were closer to mine but he was a conniving liar -- I objected to Goldwater being a hawk but at least he was honest about that, whereas LBJ pretended to be anti-war but "escalated" all over SE Asia as soon as he was elected. A guy like Goldwater would be so welcome now and, after what we've all (in both parties) been through lately, I doubt that many would disagree with me.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 11:05 PM

Goldwater was mean...but now I know what mean really is.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 11:05 PM

[quote] My parents were Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey Democrat’s, as am I and siblings

You still are?

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 11:15 PM

I don’t understand how he was a “whackadoodle.” Seemed to have good common sense policies. What’s mean or crazy about that?

My father may have been a man of his generation in some ways, but he was very intelligent and would not have given his support to a “whackadoodle.”

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 11:17 PM

LBJ campaign ad. Goldwater was toast after this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 11:22 PM

If my parents told me he was mean, it was because he never supported workers and he was a racist.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 11:22 PM

That infamous ad only aired once, but once was enough.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote] My father may have been a man of his generation in some ways, but he was very intelligent and would not have given his support to a “whackadoodle.”

Did your father in his heart know Goldwater was right?

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 11:26 PM

R10, Goldwater was against Communists, if that’s what you mean by “workers.” I don’t believe he was a racist, he just wasn’t for extremists, which were very prevalent in the ‘60s. I don’t remember much about it, as I was a VERY young child.

R12, of course he did.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 11:45 PM

Among Goldwater's other attributes, he despised Richard Nixon and accurately described him as a "lying SOB" who couldn't be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 11:55 PM

Legendary pussy hound

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2019 12:03 AM

Goldwater was mos def a whackadoodle. He’s the reason for the Goldwater rule. Whacko and racist.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2019 12:09 AM

Barry Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Goldwater was mostly a nutty ultra conservative and would be a Libertarian. He was a best friend of Koch Bros. Years ago.

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2019 12:14 AM

Was about to ask that r16. Wasn’t the Goldwater rule instated because he was such a lunatic?

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2019 12:20 AM

I was just about the only student at my high school who supported Goldwater. I knew nothing of politics; I only knew that LBJ was ugly and Goldwater looked and sounded better by comparison. I proudly wore a large Goldwater pin to school every day until the election and was one of only two students who volunteered to take the Goldwater side in a civics class debate. I was crushed when my hero lost in a landslide. The day after the election, classmates rubbed salt in my wounds by teasing me unmercifully That was the last time I ever supported a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2019 12:34 AM

My dad referred to Goldwater as something you see in the toilet bowl. As a 7 year old, I was was shocked.

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2019 12:37 AM

R17 Goldwater, didn't oppose the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because he was racist, but because he saw it as federal overreach, he supported both the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts, and he supported the original Senate version of the 1964 act, his problem with the act was that he felt that Articles II and VII of the final act was an illegal encroachment on the rights of individuals to not do business with whomever they chose.

Many people forget that in retirement he was one of the first politicians of either party to endorse homosexuals to be allowed to serve openly in the military saying "Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since at least the time of Julius Caesar" and "You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight." He was also a supporter of Medical Marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2019 12:38 AM

He wasn’t any bigger a lunatic than LBJ or Nixon

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2019 12:40 AM

If you were five years old in 1964, you're 60 this year.

And you refer to your father as "Daddy"?

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2019 12:43 AM

Hilary Clinton was a Goldwater Girl!

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2019 12:44 AM

R24, are you also R5?

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2019 12:46 AM

What exactly is a ‘Goldwater girl’?

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2019 12:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2019 12:49 AM

A square dancing outfit?

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2019 12:52 AM

“Who all” as in “Who all is going to the barn dance?”

by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2019 12:52 AM

R23 My mama and her siblings are in their 70's and they say mama and daddy, because they could never imagine calling their parents by their name, as that is disrespectful. I could never call my parents anything other than mama and daddy, either, because no matter how old I am, I will always be their child never their equal.

by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2019 12:54 AM

His campaign slogan was "In your heart, you know he's right." And Democratic billboards went up with the response: "Yes...extremely right."

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2019 12:54 AM

Bless your heart

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2019 12:54 AM

R30 Do you find "Mom" and "Dad" disrespectful?

And you called her "Mother" in your original post, OP

And if Mama is in her 70's now, so she was a teenager in 1964? I mean, Hilary was in high school then.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2019 1:00 AM

R33 I will say mom or dad, or even mother or father, when talking about them to third parties, but when talking to them I say Mama and Daddy, because that is who they have been my entire life, and I'm not going to change just because I've aged, and because others have decided to make daddy sexual. I am bisexual and I abhor the use of daddy in a sexual context, I've hooked up with guys and gals that want to use it during sex and it does nothing but ruins the mood, for me.

Also, I'm R21 and R30, not OP, I was just replying to R23, who was saying that it is weird to call your father daddy.

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2019 1:10 AM

[quote] His campaign slogan was "In your heart, you know he's right." And Democratic billboards went up with the response: "Yes...extremely right."

Yes...far right.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2019 1:12 AM

No, the phrase was "extreme right."

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2019 1:16 AM

When did DL turn into GOP central?

What the fuck is this conservative shit doing on DL? Is some old queen really here reminiscing about his conservative parents’ politics from over half a century ago?

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2019 1:19 AM

R30, you sound ridiculous. Your parents fucked and you’re their spawn, get over it. You sound fucking infantile.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2019 1:21 AM

Wasn't there another anti-Goldwater slogan that went something like "In your gut, you know he's nuts"

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2019 1:26 AM

His distant relatives are still leeching off his name all over Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2019 1:27 AM

R38 You sound insufferable. I believe in respecting my elders, who did more than just fuck and spit me out. They provided me with love, food, clothing, and a home. They have supported me in all ways. They didn't mind that I was a boy who would prefer to cook or act in plays rather than play sports. They took me to museums, even though they find them boring. They bought me books whenever I asked. They were willing to deny themselves pleasures, to provide me with the best of opportunities. No matter what, I could never repay them for all they have done. So I repay them by showing them the respect that they have earned.

by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2019 1:30 AM

[quote]You sound insufferable.

Said by the person writing their third post about how wonderful and special their “mama and daddy” are.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]Is some old queen really here reminiscing about his conservative parents’ politics from over half a century ago?

My mother and father have been gone for a long time and I like remembering them. Daddy died relatively young of a heart attack, and Mother followed a few years later. They said she had cancer, but she really just lost the will to live after Daddy was gone.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 3:16 AM

My sister only speaks of our parents to trash them to my niece, who never knew them. I like to remember the good things.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2019 3:18 AM

His running mate was the father of liberal (and lesbian) radio talk show host Stephanie Miller.

by Anonymousreply 45April 16, 2019 3:27 AM

Any relation to the GoldDust Twins?

by Anonymousreply 46April 16, 2019 4:19 AM

Based on R21's post, Goldwater would likely support so-called religious freedom laws to ensure fundies could discriminate against gays.

No thanks, OP

by Anonymousreply 47April 16, 2019 8:20 AM

Well, in my day we kept all our hairpins in place, so we usually didn’t have that problem. However, today I think we should just open our own bakeries, etc. No need to go where you aren’t wanted.

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2019 8:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!