Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Organ Donation

For over 30 years I have enrolled in my state's organ donor program.

There is a little indicia on my driver's license to alert emergency room personnel of this fact should I die in a an accident.

But I realize I am no longer a young, ideal organ donor.

My question: when do you age out of being a desirable organ donor?

Does any DLer have the facts?

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2019 2:03 AM

There is no age limit.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 10:05 PM

My parents at 75 were not available as kidney donors for me......

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 10:06 PM

I'm also a donor and I'm not even a citizen yet. If I die, helping someone else live will be such a great legacy.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 10:06 PM

Who wants an 75-year-old kidney?!

Think of all the piss that ol' thang has passed already!

Probably worn out.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 10:08 PM

The medical examiner's office makes the determination if the organs in question are viable, at least in California. My father died of a heart attack at 64. They popped his eyeballs right out and stuffed them in some kid.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 10:20 PM

As has been said OP, the medical professionals will make the call on what is viable. I do know when a good friend’s father passed recently, the donated his skin to a burn unit for use in grafts. They only took what amount they needed as I don’t think there’s much of a shelf life, and the family was still able to have an open casket with no indication of any skin missing or anything.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Good for you, OP. You're an inspiring person. I think the other posters have answered your questions.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 10:33 PM

So DLers think I should keep checking the box on my license renewal form indicating I consent to be an organ donor.

Will do.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 10:34 PM

A friend of mine needed a partial liver transplant. He asked his sister if she could donate part of her liver. She said it was unlikely she could donate part of her liver because she was taking medication for mental health issues that had side effects on her liver.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 10:44 PM

I only want a Hammond organ, but thank you OP

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2019 1:22 AM

R5 - you should work for Hallmark.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2019 2:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!