Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Presidential Town Hall with Andrew Yang

Smart man. I want to vote for him.

But we must defeat Trump. After the past two years, Andrew Yang may be far too intelligent to win. Can the country listen and accept him? If not as president, he would be great in the White House cabinet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 12:40 PM

The younger candidates may not have the experience, but they sure have the intelligence and drive. Andrew Yang is good.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 7:44 AM

2020 candidate Andrew Yang defends $1,000 a month guaranteed income program, slams Dems for wanting to abolish Electoral College

On his freedom dividends proposal: "The goal is to make an economy that works for every one. A trickle up economy from people, families and community up."

On the support he has received online from white nationalists: “I disavowed any of that support. I don’t want anyone that has an agenda different than that of this campaign. We’re trying to solve the problem.”

On why he supports decriminalizing heroin: "There are countries, including Portugal, that have decriminalized for personal use. They say if you have more than a week supply, then we may treat you as a dealer or supplier or someone engaged in a criminal enterprise and then it’s illegal. If we catch you with a quantity that suggest you’re using it personally, we refer you to treatment. That’s what we need to do in the United States.”

On his freedom dividends proposal: "The goal is to make an economy that works for every one. A trickle up economy from people, families and community up."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 7:59 AM

Why is he wasting our time?

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 11:35 AM

[quote]slams Dems for wanting to abolish Electoral College

Erm, why? How bizarre, coming from him.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 12:06 PM

Can you link please where he defends the electoral college? Not finding it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 12:27 PM

From what I'm reading here I have some questions about his intelligence. He thinks that an extra $12,000 a year (taxed or untaxed?) is going to create a trickle-up economy? Maybe in combination with raising minimum wage, putting marginal tax rates back up, and strong safety nets—are those part of his plan? Otherwise it's just a government handout while wealth inequality continues to grow.

Here's a tweet of his about the Electoral College: "The problem with deciding Presidential elections via popular vote is that candidates would naturally campaign in urban areas with big media markets and their policies would follow suit. Better to have proportional electoral college votes in each state so you campaign everywhere." He has a point, although he doesn't explain there what "proportional" means (if Wyoming's and California's votes were really proportional to each other, no one would campaign in Wyoming—any more than they do now).

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 12:35 PM

It's a philosophical debate. I firmly believe the highest office should be elected through a pure popular vote in order to represent the people, not the states, which are already (dis)proportionally represented in the Congress.

In any case, we'll never get to the bottom of that and the EC is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 12:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!