Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does joint pain ever get better?

My friend is 32 and already has arthritis in his knees. He says some days just walking is painful. How does this happen to someone so young? Also is there any way to prevent it from getting much worse? It sucks because he can never do anything active.

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2019 4:27 PM

That happened to me in my 30s. No It never gets better. Vitamin d3 does help a lot though.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2019 7:01 AM

It seems as if all arthritis drugs have potential awful side effects - especially liver damage. Any advice about joint pain killers that won't kill you?

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2019 7:09 AM

Good shoes/shock absorbent insoles are cheap and will make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2019 7:28 AM

Did your friend use to jog ?

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2019 7:30 AM

Turmeric....the actual root or dried version, not some nasty useless pill with yellow powder in it.

Must be eaten in food.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 7:56 AM

I took tumeric in capsule form for tennis elbow and it worked like a charm, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 7:59 AM

Ceylon cinnamon. I couldn't even lift my arm in the over my head-within days of taking it my arm was a good 85% better.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 8:01 AM

Physical therapy can help. I'm only a fraction as active as I was a few years ago prior to my accident, but PT and moderate exercise specifically for my foot, leg and shoulder problems has given me enough improvement that I'm back to being able to do most necessary things, even on bad flare-up days.

No luck with supplements so far but alternating ice and heat plus an occasional TENS unit session is also helpful.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 8:58 AM

Ginger Root 550 mg. Walmart sells it under the Spring Valley label. It works like a charm and is super cheap. The only problem is that it flies off the shelf, so I alway scoop it up whenever I see it and grab two bottles if they are there.

OP: Tell your friend to buy this Ginger Root and take two tablets once a day.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:02 AM

I have fairly severe arthritis and the only thing that has truly made a difference is Bone Broth Collagen powder. For the past six months or so I've been having a pumpkin smoothie every morning with bone broth collagen powder (part of a gut healing regime). In the beginning, I was making it twice a day but now I'm having just one smoothie per day for breakfast. It took a week or two to really feel the effects but I noticed the difference very quickly. My arthritis and joint pain is so much better now, like a 70-80% improvement. It's changed my life. I have prescriptions for various meds for chronic pain, including oxycodone, but the daily bone broth powder smoothie is really the only thing that has made a significant difference. I swear by it.

For the first few months I made gut healing Pumpkin Spice smoothies (1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop bone broth collagen powder (vanilla flavor), 3 large spoonfuls of pumpkin puree (canned; puree of 100% pure pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling - usually found in the baking aisle), pumpkin spice (a mix of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and clove), a small handful of raw spinach (sounds horrible but you can't really taste it and it gives it a pleasing freshness), and a dash of raw, local honey or agave nectar (raw, local honey is best because it benefits digestion and helps boost the immune system).

For the past couple of months I've been making Chocolate Banana smoothies (1 cup hot chocolate, 1 scoop bone broth collagen powder (vanilla flavor), 3 large spoonfuls of pumpkin puree, and 1 banana). I got a little tired of the Pumkin Spice flavor after a few months, so have switched to this one.

You can make any kind of smoothie you like but I recommend adding pumpkin puree to whatever smoothie you make. Mixed with other ingredients, you can't really taste it but it gives a smoothie a nice milkshake-y texture and it's very good for you. Pumpkin is really good for digestion and healing the gut, getting important vitamins and nutrients, and it has a lot of other health benefits. The bone broth collagen powder is good for joint pain, healing the gut, and it will improve your skin, hair, and nails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 9:06 AM

Does he have psoriasis? Apparently, it also causes arthritis at an early age. I'm early-stage myself (early 40s, psoriasis) & debating whether I should start taking meds to slow its progression. Now, it's not "pain" (yet) as much as "dull achy stiffness", but I don't *ever* want it to get as bad as my grandmother had it. And while it hasn't been officially diagnosed yet, my family history and fact that I have plaque psoriasis makes it pretty easy to connect the dots behind my mild-yet-definitely-noticeable joint pain (esp. elbows & knees, which also happen to be where I have visible scaly skin).

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 9:22 AM

it is caused by chronic inflammation. tumeric, ginger cinnamon are anti-inflammatories. your friend should change his diet to avoid sugar, dairy, gluten and take omega 3, polyphenols ie blueberry, pomagrante, acai. dr perricone sells it. i recommend dr perricones books.

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 9:26 AM

Losing weight can help with arthritic knees.

I realize that this is not easy, particular if the arthritis is bad enough to prevent you from doing weight bearing exercise. But it usually does help.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 9:28 AM

Ginger capsule for the win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 9:31 AM

OP your friend needs to buy a pair of knee compression sleeves. They definitely help in the early stages. But eventually he'll have to switch to full knee braces unless he has replacement surgery. The sleeves can hold off the full braces for a few years if he's lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 9:33 AM

What about chondroitin? I've heard of that before.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 9:58 AM

There are honestly some great suggestions here, OP. I'd like to add that turmeric works better when used with black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 10:04 AM

Why Ceylon cinnamon only? Does Indonesian/Korintje cinnamon not work equally well?

by Anonymousreply 18April 15, 2019 10:16 AM

Eventually, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 15, 2019 10:26 AM

R12 has good advice. Anti-inflammatory diet can help a lot. And if a person is overweight, that doesn’t help. Sadly, the three people I know with it are obese. And one is a diet soda addict. I can’t help wondering if the diet soda doesn’t aggravate things.

by Anonymousreply 20April 15, 2019 10:34 AM

Arthritis has a lot of causes. You should see a good rheumatologist to make sure you don’t have inflammatory arthritis as was mentioned by a previous poster. Psoriatic arthritis is one example, there are many others. If you have wear and tear arthritis aka osteoarthritis or from an injury in the past, see a good orthopedic surgeon. Steroid injections help and can be done a few times a year.

by Anonymousreply 21April 15, 2019 10:37 AM

All the herbal remedies and drug therapies in the world will not rebuild the lost cartilage in someone's knees. It may dull the pain (for a while), but as the knees continue to deteriorate the pain will eventually get worse. You can either live with it using some sort of bracing, or have surgery. There are no other alternatives in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 22April 15, 2019 10:52 AM

R22 You are assuming the pain is due to lost cartilage. Sometimes, it is due to inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 23April 15, 2019 10:57 AM

AIP diet

Turmeric capsules/in food

Being at and maintaining a healthy weight

No alcohol

by Anonymousreply 24April 15, 2019 11:33 AM

Eliminate wheat from your diet. Main cause of many health problems, particularly inflammation.

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2019 11:56 AM

My knees used to hurt all day , every day for five years until I saw a video on youtube that showed three exercises for the knee that I started doing everyday. After only one week I started to notice an improvement. I do these exercises every day it's made a dramatic difference to my knees.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2019 12:26 PM

If I listened to all of your specific "don't eat" instructions, I'd be living on seltzer water.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2019 12:39 PM

R18, while botanically related they are different species and the Ceylon cinnamon is considered the ‘true’ cinnamon and has lower levels of the chemical Coumarin which gives the cinnamon flavor and can be harmful to the liver in large quantities.

I don’t know exactly why but all of the advice I’ve read about using cinnamon as a health supplement specifies the Ceylon variety. It may be that it’s the type that was used in studies and thus is the one proven to have some effect.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2019 1:03 PM

Thanks, Tony.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2019 1:05 PM

With rheumatoid & psoriatic arthritis, does joint replacement work if it gets bad enough to merit it? Or is it kind of like trying to cut away a herpes lesion, where it just manifests itself at the cut line, instead?

THAT would really suck... the joint itself becoming ok, but the inflammation then moving out from ONE joint to engulf the TWO attachment points for the new joint instead. I've gotten the impression that PsA and RA are kind of like a localized version of fibromyalgia (symptom-wise)... centered on specific joints (as opposed to, "the whole body"), but really more of a local inflammation that affects everything in the area from skin down to muscle to bone marrow.

I know in my case, the elbow, knee, and finger aching seems to feel like it's at least as much in the surrounding tissue as the actual joint itself.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 4:36 PM

Do you have a link to that youtube video, r26?

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2019 6:36 AM

My mother was told to avoid "nightshade" vegetables and it seemed to help. Nightshades are things like potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2019 7:15 AM

Sometimes you just need to use the joint more.

by Anonymousreply 33April 16, 2019 9:54 AM

Anyone have advice on sciatica pain? I usually run 30 min 3x/week, and now I'm in so much pain I can barely move. I'm a overpronator (corrected with running shoes), which may have contributed. I'm 35, and if I can't run I'll probably gain back lots of weight. :-(

by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2019 11:47 AM

STOP RUNNING NOW.

See a sports doctor. Get 3 opinions before undergoing surgery.

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2019 12:12 PM

I've had knee arthritis since childhood, I'm down to bone on bone in both knees now...so I've pretty much done the lot. (to be honest once the damage is way beyond repair you actually stop registering the pain). Best advice...keep moving, whatever you can do, just do it. Pool walking and cycling work best for me combined with physio excercises for strengthening the knee muscles. Acupuncture and cortisone injections for acute pain. Compression sleeves for cold weather. Proper orthotics and good shoes to keep you walking correctly. Anti inflamatories to keep the pain down and stop further damage. Weight loss is great if you can manage it. A hot bath before bed. For some reason a down quilt is great for me, I can really feel the difference in the mornings. Using a roller on my lower back and legs keeps the muscular stiffness at bay. The occasional massage is a big help as well. I've tried a lot of suppliments and they don't seem to do much for me, but every body is different.

So just keep moving and try everything. If it doesn't work, that's OK, just move on to the next thing and find the combinations that work for you.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]Using a roller on my lower back and legs keeps the muscular stiffness at bay.

Show us your roller, please.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2019 12:22 PM

[quote]Eliminate wheat from your diet. Main cause of many health problems, particularly inflammation.

A classic case of internet advice often being dodgy advice. For a vast majority of the population, wheat causes zero problems. Only a great way to do yourself out of a lot of pleasure in life. No more crusty bagettes? Fuck off!

Virgin olive oil — a talblespoon every day wil help with the inflammation. A basel and garlic-infused one is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2019 12:32 PM

Prednisone will get rid of the pain but with taking prednisone is a long list of awful side effects. Bad for the bones & skin. Can lead to diabetes, heart problems - the list is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 39April 16, 2019 12:34 PM

Prednisone makes me crazy. I took it once. It made it make sense to kill other drivers on the road. I hope I never need it again.

If I give up wheat, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, sugar, dairy, coffee, tea, and meat (chicken and fish, mainly), there'll be little left I like to eat.

by Anonymousreply 40April 16, 2019 12:51 PM

R37 - This is a back roller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 16, 2019 12:56 PM

psoriatic arthritis permanently damages joints if left untreated. you better get yourself to a doctor and get on biologic agent to slow the progression.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2019 1:40 PM

Both of my shoulders are messed up with bursitis or something, would bone broth powder help?

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 2:15 PM

My 17 year old dog has arthritis really badly (as do I). I put her on CBD oil and it really seems to help. I want to start taking it myself but am transitioning jobs and am afraid that I might have to take a drug test and don't want the CBD to show up as positive for the Ganga. I know that the THC is supposed to be removed and thus would show as positive but don't trust some of the manufacturers as the industry is highly unregulated.

by Anonymousreply 44April 16, 2019 2:46 PM

I've heard about eliminating tomatoes and other vegetables in the nightshade family like peppers, potatoes, and eggplant to reduce inflammation.

Is that backed up by any research?

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2019 5:03 PM

R45 I know my dad was advised to eliminate them for gout, so I suppose it could also affect arthritis

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2019 5:11 PM

Why don't you stop eating them for two weeks, r45, and get back to us with your results.

by Anonymousreply 47April 18, 2019 5:12 PM

I'm not R26, but I think this might be the video he referenced. It's been posted on other threads before and is very useful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 18, 2019 5:15 PM

Good site to look up herbs and botanicals, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 18, 2019 5:16 PM

Ignore posters like R12, armchair doctors who know nothing about actual medicine. The fact is, unfortunately, that your friend's pain could be caused by any number of factors, and even a thorough examination might not actually reveal what the underlying issue is. And certainly no one on a board like this can diagnose and cure your friend, although its true that anecdotal experience can sometimes help, in the hit-and-miss way that an off-the -cuff recommendation may really work.

To directly answer your question, yes, joint pain can get better. But it takes either knowing exactly what the problem is, luck, or, quite often, time. I've had numerous patents who had back pain or joint pain that simply went away after a while.

by Anonymousreply 50April 18, 2019 5:23 PM

Fish oil seems to help me.

by Anonymousreply 51April 18, 2019 6:51 PM

turmeric

by Anonymousreply 52April 18, 2019 7:17 PM

you fucking need a biologic medicine like Humira!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 53April 18, 2019 8:02 PM

Thanks, r48.

by Anonymousreply 54April 18, 2019 10:19 PM

R47, I have tried giving up the veggies in the nightshade family, and I'm not sure if it made a difference. Maybe if I did the same activities every day (like they might in a research study) it would be more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2019 4:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!