Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Broadway's Gypsy Robe: Ugly as Sin

In the novel THE ORIGINAL CAST (1986), a backstage drama about a Broadway musical, there's mention of the Gypsy Robe. It's a robe sewn with momentos from past shows that's passed from chorus member to chorus member as an honor. Each new recipient sews on some little doodad to commemorate their show.

It sounded sweet. But then I [italic]saw[/italic] it.

All they do is sew some big logo from their show on it! Yuck. I mean, it would be cool if they each added some tiny piece of a costume, with interesting embroidery or something creative ... but it just looks like a mish-mash billboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 3:53 AM

You boring cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2019 4:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2019 4:21 PM

How dare you call it the Gypsy robe, it's not PC anymore. It's the Legacy robe.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2019 4:29 PM

Whatever it's called, I am officially underwhelmed.

I'm hoping they were more creative in the 1950s, when it all started. The item sewn on the first one was apparently a feathered flower from an Ethel Meman costume. That sounds a lot more personal and unique.

by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2019 4:37 PM

Most of the time, there are big empty white areas with the show name written because they haven't finished the swatch yet.

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2019 4:39 PM

Obviously OP has been living under a rock as it is no longer called the Gypsy Robe.

The robe is featured in a dance sequence in Tootsie which gave me a chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2019 4:41 PM

The character who gets it in the novel I read (whose author danced in the original BRIGADOON and a bunch of other shows) mentions the momento has to represent something that flies. (Maybe that goes back to the original feathered rose?)

[quote]Will lifted out a faded, graying, pink satin dressing gown. Bejeweled, trimmed with feathers, lace and tassels, it was garish and sparkling with a life of its own. Known in the business as the gypsy robe, it was passed from show to show to the male dancer selected by the special dancers designated 'gypsies' by their peers.

For years it just went to guys? Well, that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote]a faded, graying, pink satin dressing gown. Bejeweled, trimmed with feathers, lace and tassels, it was garish and sparkling with a life of its own.

I'm wearing mine now.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 3:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!