Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do animals have souls?

If so, where do we draw the line? I'm sure we all think our dogs or cats have "souls" or a personality. But does that extend to fish? Insects? Birds?

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 5:15 PM

I think they do!

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2019 5:06 PM

Yes, they all have souls. And you're going to hell for your treatment of them.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2019 5:24 PM

I start from the premise that God, Jesus, the Devil all of it is made up and not real. Therefore none of us have a soul.

The reasons for the premise is as follows. First the monotheistic god - there have been NUMEROUS gods over time. Why is this one supposed to be so special? Secondly I know the Romans, Greeks, and even the Egyptians kept records of everything. Yet none of them mention Jesus of Nazareth - the only time he shows up is in a couple history stories from near a century later.

The other thing - Satan - he was borrowed from the Persians in the form of their religion Zoroastrianism. So yeah maybe not true.

Thirdly - recall much of the population back 2000 years ago was illiterate. So the tradition was an oral tradition until it was nailed down in the Greek language. Now if you've ever played the children's game Telephone you know when the message you started comes back the details change significantly.

So with those in mind - none of it is true. It fails every logic test too.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2019 5:27 PM

Your certainty is as misplaced as your boredom: we don't all think dogs or cats have "souls," nor do I think they have personalities. Nor do fish, insects, or birds. I don't think I (or rather, "we" as humans) have souls either. You may think otherwise, but the notion of "souls" and "personality" are creations of the human brain, not organs of the body.

If you want to believe in them, fine, but don't go telling us what we all agree on when, in fact, we don't.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2019 5:28 PM

Delicious animals don't have souls, so it is acceptable to eat them.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2019 5:30 PM

R4, if you don't realize that animals have their own personalities, you are stupid beyond belief. It's not a hard concept to grasp and it's not a difficult thing to observe.

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2019 5:33 PM

You think Trump has a soul?

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2019 5:34 PM

R4. Apologies. I did not mean to insinuate that. Sorry. I was just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2019 5:34 PM

no and neither do people, Its all part of the brain washing religious crap people are exposed to. Its all completely fabricated myth.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2019 5:44 PM

According to Christianity, no they don't.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2019 5:46 PM

Souls don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2019 5:49 PM

The Amish don't believe animals have souls. That's why they treat their animals like shit and are known for their puppy mills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2019 5:51 PM

you are vastly stupid beyond belief, R6, if that's the best response you can muster for someone you disagree with.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2019 6:03 PM

R5 that was funny

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2019 6:05 PM

I believe they do. If they didn’t they wouldn’t have emotions. I’ve seen sad dogs cry.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2019 6:05 PM

Since "souls" are fiction, there is no harm in claiming animals have them.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2019 6:09 PM

Elephants have what humans have chosen to call "wakes" for dead elephants. Why? Because humans mourn their dead and presume animals do the same.

Humans love to anthropomorphize (attribute human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object) as in "people's tendency to anthropomorphize their dogs"

Let dogs be dogs. Don't burden them with our behavior.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2019 6:11 PM

I have no idea, nor does anyone else. It is beyond our comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2019 6:13 PM

I don't know, OP. I'd like to think animals have souls, or some kind of energy that might constitute them. Who knows, though.

Having pets all my life, mainly dogs and cats, they do have personalities and quirks. They have feelings and feel pain and joy, so I don't really think of them as an animal, more like another sentient being that deserves love, kindness, and respect.

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2019 6:18 PM

I has soul for days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2019 6:21 PM

Every creature has a soul.

We're unique in that we sell ours if we think it gives us an advantage.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2019 6:27 PM

Personality and emotion does not equal an imaginary concept

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2019 6:34 PM

Sentience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2019 6:40 PM

Only dogs have souls.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2019 9:36 PM

Yes, they do have soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2019 9:42 PM

We all have souls, even plants. Just thank the lettuce or tomato when you harvest it, and your garden will be much more productive. Seriously. Be kind and thankful.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2019 10:01 PM

In that case R15, vegans and vegetarians are committing LITERAL VIOLENCE against innocent plants every single day, all because of their selfish, greedy desire to eat. VEGETABLES ARE MURDER.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2019 10:05 PM

Animals are worth reincarnating.

Humans, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2019 10:05 PM

I certainly think that plants have souls, they respond positively to classical music and they like people talking to them.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2019 10:15 PM

R29, your 6th grade science experiment was a LONG time ago. And there were, shall we say, a few flaws in your scientific method.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2019 10:18 PM

Please be kind to them. This world is horrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2019 5:59 AM

I'm completely forgotten now, aren't I?

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2019 7:10 AM

even process food has a soul...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2019 7:31 AM

If you want to look at Christian beliefs, check out Isaiah, Chapter 11. All of the animal groups will be part of the second coming. How else can the wolf lay with the lamb?

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2019 7:32 AM

My cat is an intelligent human trapped inside of a feline's body. She looks at me with contempt when I watch trashy television and hisses when I bring home a guy she does not approve of.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2019 7:36 AM

R32, I prefer St Francis of Assisi.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2019 7:44 AM

R35 Cats can hear you when you talk to them. It's just that they don't give a shit what you say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2019 4:51 PM

Honestly I’m not even sure if HUMANS have souls...

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Souls are a manmade concept. We do have an electrical charge that dies when we die. Even those who spoke for Jesus don't talk about anyone having a soul. Besides, the soul is an oral concept without a physical description. But if there is any group of critter possessing souls, I would expect it to be the wild animals, not humans. our four and no legged animals can only do that which they are designed to do. They are without sin and therefore accordingly, little saints.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote] We do have an electrical charge that dies when we die.

How would you explain my hypnic jerks then, tough guy? Is that ideation or is my body just asking for sweet release?

by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2019 4:25 PM

If they did the Catholic church would have gone after them a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2019 6:41 PM

The church has not gone after pets because the church knows they are without sin.

by Anonymousreply 42April 16, 2019 4:11 PM

Sorry "soul" is a made up belief.

Animals are sentient beings who should get to live without being harmed, tortured and killed by humans.

by Anonymousreply 43April 16, 2019 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!