Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's the second night since I quit drinking, and I feel awful

My stomach hurts, I feel dizzy, I'm exhausted but can't sleep.

How can I get through this, former DL drunks?

by Anonymousreply 107April 28, 2019 5:46 AM

Just bull through it. The pain is worth the gain.

When the pain goes away (and it will), you’ll feel so good.

by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2019 2:41 AM

Now that you've quit drinking, you need to work on your diet.

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2019 2:42 AM

Diphenhydramine, magnesium citrate powder dissolved in water, and melatonin.

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2019 2:44 AM

Bleeding gums yet?

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2019 2:46 AM

It takes a week for the worst and two weeks to feel more or less human. If you have a lot of body fat (and/or a woman) it may take even longer. All you can do is tough it out. Good for you. Hang in there.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2019 2:50 AM

Smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2019 2:51 AM

You will never have to go through this again. Get over this and you’ll have a fascinating life

by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2019 2:58 AM

Pot and daily yoga. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2019 3:00 AM

Get used to it Op. This is your everyday life in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2019 3:02 AM

Propofol.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2019 3:02 AM

For the brief period you're in now I got into audiobooks. You can lay down, close your eyes and relax but it's also something to occupy your thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2019 3:04 AM

It does feel kind of amazing. Seriously. Try it. It's a totally different feeling and it's amazing. Not preaching. If you can't do it, no judgments. But if you can, kind of cool.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2019 3:04 AM

If you're a heavy drinker you shouldn't stop cold turkey without medical supervision. You could have seizures.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2019 3:06 AM

Op, tomorrow morning, after you've slept it off, whip out your Costco card and pick up a rack (or three) of Gator2.

This replaces the habit of the need to 'drink' because it contains the electrolytes, potassium, and needed hydration you've missed from 'drinking' every night.

(My partner is now one-year free of nightly wine binges because of this. Thank Gawd. It's saved our marriage.)

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2019 3:06 AM

Drink lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Detoxing can even take 12 months but you won’t feel like this the entire time. It becomes more subtle.

You’ll feel such a sense of accomplishment when through it. It will be the biggest accomplishment in your life.

Get a journal and write how you feel. In two weeks, you’ll feel much better and have forgotten how crappy you felt. The journal will serve to remind you. It will also serve to show that you are making progress.

Good luck, Bub!

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2019 3:20 AM

Call your sponsor.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2019 3:21 AM

After a month, I lost 10 lbs. without changing another thing. I t's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2019 3:24 AM

Shtop shobering up! Remember Amy Winehoushe!

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2019 3:26 AM

Replace the drinking and probably smoking with almost everyday with workouts/classes. It will change your life.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2019 3:27 AM

^ r20 speaks the truth, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2019 3:28 AM

You could have a heart attack, you should never try to quit on your own.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2019 3:30 AM

OP the sleeplessness is normal for the first few nights - for me it was three - so you are almost through the toughest part of the beginning - after tomorrow night (or maybe even by tomorrow night) you will sleep.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2019 3:35 AM

OP, this is one thing to remember after a few weeks go by, maybe sooner is this thing I have heard called "the pink cloud". You feel SO much better, and life is FABULOUS and you feel that you have a handle on this whole thing...so...maybe you'll think "oh, just a glass of wine with dinner" No. Beware the pink cloud. Embrace how good it feels, but don't let it lull you into a false sense of security when it comes to the booze.

Eventually, you really might be that person who can have just one or two, but for a good long while, you need to stay away completely no matter how pink-cloudy things seem. Seriously, best of luck, and check in for support anytime!

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2019 3:46 AM

Lots and lots of water. Alcohol dehydrates you while it puts a ton of sugar into your blood. So your headaches are from your blood sugar levels being completely whack and being dehydrated.

Don't add to your chemical mix with anything; it just makes it worse. I got through with a lot of ice tea.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2019 3:56 AM

So, I'm not an alcoholic, but I quit sugar three months ago and that includes any alcohol with sugar. The first week I felt like total hell. Everything in my body hurt. Little by little I started feeling better. I lost a little weight but overall I feel a bit different, I guess. I do still crave sugar (but not alcohol). I am smoking a bit of pot. I'm lucky because I have yet to experience "the Munchies." I think drinking water is a good plan, but also do some mild stretching before bed. Also, schedule a massage for yourself every few weeks with the money you will save from not drinking.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2019 4:06 AM

Hair of the dog?

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2019 4:20 AM

OP you can do this. Give yourself a year at least. I'm rooting for you.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2019 4:23 AM

I miss Judy Pills.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2019 4:30 AM

I went out to get some Gatorade G2 and diphenhydramine, and now I feel a little more human. Thank you for all these suggestions.

Now I wonder if I'll wake up four times during the night again, and face another day feeling like a worse crack whore than when I was hung over...

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2019 4:35 AM

You're no fun anymore..

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2019 4:40 AM

Try some cbd oil.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2019 4:47 AM

It’ll get worse before it gets better, hang in there buddy.

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2019 4:48 AM

Go to a detox center or find a Dr that will prescribe you Librium.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2019 4:52 AM

yes my dear, benzo's are the answer

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2019 4:58 AM

Don't switch to smoking pot, it will only make you a spaced out bore, numb and paranoid stumbling through life in the same haze. Many will try to convince you it won't....but of course it will.

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2019 5:05 AM

Prairie oysters - not everyone's thing, but they really seem to help. Carrot juice. Bloody Mary mix minus the alcohol. Iced tea. lots of water. Hot showers for circulation. give yourself an early night and binge-watch some television or read a book you've been putting off after a hot bath.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2019 5:07 AM

Also, OP, if you have a bathtub, get some epsom salts (through a grocery delivery service if you're really feeling terrible) and use a lot in the warmest water you can stand, just before bed. It will relax your muscles more than you think, and will do a lot to help you sleep. You're in recovery mode right now, not entirely dissimilar to as if you've had a physical shock or injury. The magnesium salts will really help.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2019 5:11 AM

B12 and try to get sunlight for at least 15 minutes for vitamin D . There is something very rejuvenating about the sun. I would eat a lot of protein. You want some candy or juice to satisfy the cravings for alcohol.. Good luck 🍀👍🏻!! You will be so much happier.

by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2019 5:32 AM

Riffing on the themes of electrolytes, potassium, and other stuff that will help you mend and feel better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 13, 2019 5:45 AM

Good luck OP, we're all behind you!

by Anonymousreply 41April 13, 2019 6:04 AM

Agree with r2,r39 and r40: focus on changing to a healthier diet. That's obviously going to be good for you plus it provides a bit of a distraction as thought needs to go into planning, buying, cooking etc. Do this in hand with the above recommended exercise - find what works for you and you'll be golden.

by Anonymousreply 42April 13, 2019 6:26 AM

Home detoxing is dangerous OP....

by Anonymousreply 43April 13, 2019 6:34 AM

Keeping it light for the OP.

While I agree that really heavy drinkers should taper the fuck down. I'm getting the vibe that OP might not be that heavy. That said, "heavy" is relative. OP, if you are reading this, and you are downing 1.50 liters a night (as in only a few hours or so) of hard alcohol , yes, you must taper! And taper with booze NOT of choice. (Beer, Red Wine, Champagne whatever, but NOT hard alcohol, just enough that will keep you from having seizures. If by heavy you mean a couple of bottles of wine each night, well, cut it out, but you are likely going to be seizure free.

All of the other advice is equally important. Report back, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 13, 2019 7:30 AM

If OP has a serious problem (as would anyone who's been pouring 1.5 liters of hard alcohol into themselves every day), he*can't* taper down. He would need to be medically detoxed.

Hopefully that isn't the case here.

by Anonymousreply 45April 13, 2019 9:46 AM

Now WHY would you do that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 13, 2019 10:31 AM

If OP were at risk of seizures he'd have had one by now. It can take a while for sleeping patterns to sort themselves out if alcohol was regularly being used to induce sleep. I'd recommend OP takes Vitamin B compound strong and also a high dose of thiamin for a few weeks or even months until you regain your appetite and implement a healthy diet. Benzodiazepines would have helped in the first 48 hours but if you've managed without them so far, you're past the worst and potentially dangerous stage and it's all better from here. Well done and good luck.

by Anonymousreply 47April 13, 2019 10:48 AM

Drink hot water with lemon or Different herbal Tea flavors mixed with honey. This will help cleanse your body and help your mood feel better while detoxing.

by Anonymousreply 48April 13, 2019 10:51 AM

Day three: I woke up at 11 and thought the worst was over. Felt pretty good. Then within an hour, I felt like every organ in my body was toxic, I couldn't keep my eyes open and fell back into bed.

G2 (the low-sugar Gatorade) really helps with feeling dehydrated and weak. It's 60 calories a bottle, but I guess I can afford that now. Doing B12 and other vitamins too.

I was up to about half a fifth (or 40% of a liter) of whiskey or vodka a night. Sometimes it was a bottle of wine instead, which then became two. Definitely not heading to a good place. So I decided that was it.

This is not torture, but I still feel so bad.

by Anonymousreply 49April 13, 2019 10:22 PM

Well props to you, it sounds like it was getting a bit much. Though not Ernest Hemingway level panic.

by Anonymousreply 50April 13, 2019 10:28 PM

the 1st 72 hours are the most critical to get thru

by Anonymousreply 51April 13, 2019 10:31 PM

OP, consider taking ascorbic acid powder (Vitamin C) with your B-vitamins.

During alcohol withdrawal, your immune system health is compromised due to added stress, which hinders normal nervous system functions. The University of Michigan Health System suggests supplementing vitamin C to rid the body of excess alcohol during the initial withdrawal. The upper limit for daily vitamin C is 2,000 mg, however, medically supervised dose increase is advised before taking vitamin C exceeding the daily recommendation of 90 mg. Vitamin A, or beta-carotene supplements help to correct deficiencies during withdrawal, but due to potential liver damage from alcoholism, should only be taken under physician supervision.

by Anonymousreply 52April 13, 2019 11:11 PM

Lay off the sugar. NO sugar - it fuels booze cravings. Lots of fruit and veg. Take a ton of B supplements. I was really deficient in B vitamins when I got sober. Start working out hard when you feel better + add in green juices. I went vegan the day I stopped drinking & have been vegan and sober for ten years. Sending you the best OP. Sobriety is amazing (truly)

by Anonymousreply 53April 13, 2019 11:14 PM

And read Dr. Gabor Mate!!!!

by Anonymousreply 54April 13, 2019 11:15 PM

r53 _In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts_, I am guessing.

by Anonymousreply 55April 13, 2019 11:21 PM

You got it R55 & he has some talks about addiction on YouTube that are brilliant

by Anonymousreply 56April 13, 2019 11:25 PM

there seems to be an awful lot of people on this site that have experienced alcohol withdrawal.............seems like I read 40% or so of gays were alcoholics or ex.......sad.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2019 2:03 AM

OP, hydrate. Get a lot of fluids into your system like Water, chicken broth, green tea or herbal teas, but do not drink soda or coffee with caffeine in it. Seriously. You'll feel sleepy but your body is going through withdrawal and adjustment. I'd avoid sweets too unless fresh fruit. You can check with a doctor or a nutritionist, but that's my preliminary advice. Tomato juice is good.

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2019 2:24 AM

Never give up!!

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2019 3:13 AM

OP. it's very difficult. You can do it.

by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2019 3:26 AM

As r58 said, tomato juice, specifically V8 juice is your friend. That shit is amazing for how it will get you feeling better so soon. Buy it in the small tin cans and drink one every hour or so. Something about the stuff in the tins work better. Unless it is the ONLY way you can take in fluids, stay away from that Gatorade crap if you can. Far too much sugar/HFCS and shit chemicals.

Right now the worse you feel, strangely the better it is because it means the body is revolting (not in that way, you look fabulous! (gentle lie) and trying to get all of the toxic shit out of the system.

When you feel like eating, order out and get Hot and Sour soup, extra spicy, no cornstarch (that is sugar) or, preferably, if you like Thai, Order a big container of Tom Yum Gai (the one without coconut milk) ask for "Thai hot" this will help greatly.

Please keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2019 6:15 AM

I noticed after stopping drinking I crave orange juice and pineapple. I second or third the tomato juice too. I think quitting alcohol is very hard but the best thing one can do.

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2019 3:52 AM

Naltrexone helps a lot too

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2019 5:10 AM

Get Powerade Zero. It has no sugar. The grape and Punch flavors are the best

by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2019 5:26 AM

If you have a deli near you get some Marx’s ball soup . It really helps

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2019 3:07 PM

A drink will make you feel better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2019 3:28 PM

Matzah ball soup

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2019 4:33 PM

OP! We love you! Get up!

by Anonymousreply 68April 16, 2019 11:36 PM

Take up pills instead.

by Anonymousreply 69April 16, 2019 11:40 PM

weed and lots of water, take your multiple vitamin too plan a nice vacation/excursion to keep occupied

by Anonymousreply 70April 16, 2019 11:44 PM

and make some homemade soup :)

by Anonymousreply 71April 16, 2019 11:45 PM

Are you still sober, OP?

by Anonymousreply 72April 16, 2019 11:46 PM

Alcohol withdrawals can be deadly if you go cold turkey. Please read up on tapering.

HAMS: Harm Reduction for Alcohol How To Taper Off Alcohol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 17, 2019 12:00 AM

Enema

by Anonymousreply 74April 17, 2019 12:10 AM

Still sober. Terrible insomnia. My head has been splitting all day.

I got a giant bottle of V8, and that stuff really does help.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had Thai food and hot-and-sour soup the other night. Soups and grease have been essential.

by Anonymousreply 75April 17, 2019 4:50 AM

We are all rooting for you R75.

by Anonymousreply 76April 17, 2019 5:00 AM

Hang in there, OP!

by Anonymousreply 77April 17, 2019 5:29 AM

I like a good story. Yay for OP! Keep at it.

by Anonymousreply 78April 17, 2019 5:36 AM

A greasy hamburger 🍔 does wonders

by Anonymousreply 79April 17, 2019 5:38 AM

good job!

by Anonymousreply 80April 17, 2019 7:47 AM

I was thinking about you this evening- glad you're still sober! Keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 81April 17, 2019 7:58 AM

How's it going today?

by Anonymousreply 82April 18, 2019 5:50 AM

My gawd is DL full of drunks?

by Anonymousreply 83April 18, 2019 7:35 PM

Rooting for you, OP

by Anonymousreply 84April 18, 2019 7:50 PM

It's natural to crave sweet foods when you've stopped drinking. Nothing wrong with eating some sweets or whatever in the early days.

To be completely honest your description of your drinking habits sounds pretty mild so you were unlikely to go into actual withdrawal. While it's obviously not much fun giving up alcohol, you're not going through real physical withdrawal. Your symptoms are psychological rather than physical so you're in a better place than you could be. Stick with it and you'll soon feel better than you ever have before.

by Anonymousreply 85April 18, 2019 7:59 PM

OP a bunch of strangers here are rooting for you. The soup, maybe Pedialyte instead of Gatorade, exercise, lowering sugar. You got this. You've gone through the worst part. Give yourself credit for taking care of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Check in with a doctor as soon as you can. You shouldn't be doing this on your own.

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2019 9:42 PM

If you're lucky, you'll get to a point where the thought of alcohol will make you ill. I fortunately am that way about cigs since quitting long ago. I believe there's a drug of some dirt that makes you sick when you do in fact drink alcohol, but I don't know the adverse affects it may have.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2019 9:58 PM

You guys are the best! I wish I had discovered DL when I was quitting. So supportive. Keep up the good work!

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2019 10:16 PM

Curious what age people quit? Have stopped and started many times. Have always been ambivalent. Good luck OP - and keep up the good work.

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2019 11:35 PM

You’ll be so proud when you’re done, OP.

by Anonymousreply 91April 21, 2019 12:37 AM

How are you doing today, OP?

by Anonymousreply 92April 22, 2019 4:02 PM

[quote]Curious what age people quit?

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2019 4:04 PM

I needed detox. I was in the hospital for about 4 days. Thereafter, it was hard but I'm almost 10 years in now and wish I would have done it sooner. II quit when I was 48, didn't do the AA route - basically did everything on my own and was okay.

I wish you luck. But, if you are having pain, you should consult a doctor because detoxing can be dangerous on your own.

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2019 4:25 PM

Your youthful good looks will last longer if you quit drinking. Let vanity motivate you if health and wellbeing won't.

by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2019 4:35 PM

Thanks for your support and advice, everyone. There's a lot of wisdom on this thread. It really has helped.

by Anonymousreply 96April 22, 2019 4:52 PM

Was 32 when I quit too. It was so terrible that every time I am tempted passing a bar now, I get this rush of bad memories. Quitting was by far my best personal achievement.

by Anonymousreply 97April 22, 2019 6:58 PM

This Naked Mind is a good book by Annie Grace that is helpful reading as you go through the process. And Allan Carr’s Stop Drinking book. Stop blaming yourself and appreciate that alcohol is a horrible drug that society condones more than smoking, cocaine or heroin but is also addictive and controlling.

by Anonymousreply 98April 22, 2019 8:59 PM

We are rooting for you, Aqua Boy!

by Anonymousreply 99April 22, 2019 10:06 PM

Just wanted to offer like support. I was 28 when I stopped. yes it is hard, yes it will be the single thing you might be the most proudest of in your life, it is for me. Gazillion of us know how hard it is, and that's ok. I am so proud of you. You rock!

by Anonymousreply 100April 23, 2019 1:21 AM

It's probably the D.T.'s or delirium tremens. I recommend the hair of the dog that bit you.

by Anonymousreply 101April 23, 2019 1:26 AM

Have some vodka and oj. You will feel better.

by Anonymousreply 102April 23, 2019 1:33 AM

I was 44.

by Anonymousreply 103April 23, 2019 1:34 AM

You will look much younger and more vibrant in a month or two. Keep it up

by Anonymousreply 104April 28, 2019 12:39 AM

Yes, keep it up. You will feel happier, too.

by Anonymousreply 105April 28, 2019 12:45 AM

How long does it take for the ED to go away when you stop drinking?

by Anonymousreply 106April 28, 2019 1:00 AM

Lots of water and rest. Your sex drive will come back with intense orgasms .

by Anonymousreply 107April 28, 2019 5:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!