Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The last time a popular TV show or movie featured an abortion?

The last one I remember is Maude, decades ago.

We really do sweep abortion under the rug yet one out of three American women will have one in her lifetime

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2019 11:42 PM

If you count "should have been aborted" then The Apprentice with Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2019 11:30 AM

Claire had one on Six Feet Under.

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2019 11:32 AM

Amy on VEEP may get one.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2019 11:34 AM

Pretty sure Cristina had one on Grey's.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2019 12:00 PM

I recall shows where a character considered and talked about getting an abortion, but was always eventually talked out of it. When Vicky found out she was knocked up with Grant Harrison's child on "Another World" in the mid-90s, for example.

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2019 12:03 PM

Obvious Child was a cute movie considering the circumstances Jenny Slate was in.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2019 12:25 PM

Is it true that more black babies are aborted than not each year?

I think a lot more people are reluctantly pro-choice these days than just mindlessly going along with it.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2019 12:42 PM

Mommie Dearest, of course. How can we ever forget Joan Crawford's pronouncement:. "No wire hangers!"

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2019 12:50 PM

I think there’s also an issue with self reporting abortion - a white married mother who goes to a private physician for a discreet set of pills is less likely to be counted in stats than a planned parenthood scraping.

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2019 12:59 PM

As mentioned Christina on Grey's Anatomy had an abortion, Olivia on Scandal had an abortion, the female lead on that Netflix show Sex Education had an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2019 1:03 PM

R3 beat me to it (and that scene with her on the phone after talking with Dan was pretty funny)

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2019 1:04 PM

Scandal. When Olivia aborted Fitzgerald Grant's baby while Silent Night played in the background.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2019 1:09 PM

One of the girls on The Real World had one. I don't remember the season.

Also I think the Fame TV show had one.

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2019 1:19 PM

Not a bad movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote]Is it true that more black babies are aborted than not each year?

How long before some liberal starts claiming that abortion is “racist” and must be outlawed?

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2019 1:55 PM

Happens quite a lot in UK drama's and soaps, but their isn't any real political/moral objection to abortion here.

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2019 2:11 PM

Gaspar Noe's films - I Stand Alone, Irreversible, and Climax. Not specifically abortions on the mothers part, but due to trauma inflicted on them.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2019 2:11 PM

This is a gay board...right?...or did I fall into a coma and it is now what Frauen are using in favor of their own Frau-centric boards?

I'm pro choice, all for equal pay, and I do see how badly women are treated in this culture, and it pisses me off. THAT SAID. I really don't fucking see why these topics are germane here. Why? WHY? WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18April 12, 2019 2:12 PM

Degrassi Junior High....."is this your baby"?

by Anonymousreply 19April 12, 2019 2:24 PM

Calm your tits, R18. OP was asking about it being featured (in presumably American) shows and movies nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 20April 12, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]one out of three American women will have one in her lifetime

I'm [italic]very[/italic] skeptical of that claim.

And no, I'm not saying this out of outrage, or denial, or whatever (since I couldn't care less about what breeders do).

by Anonymousreply 21April 12, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote]I think a lot more people are reluctantly pro-choice these days than just mindlessly going along with it.

Unless one has a uterus, one's reluctance is largely irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 22April 12, 2019 3:08 PM

R15, Actually it’s your favorites , idiot conservatives who claim this .

by Anonymousreply 23April 12, 2019 3:32 PM

Paula had one on Crazy Ex-Girlfiend.

by Anonymousreply 24April 12, 2019 3:33 PM

Maude. Probably All in the Family.

Those Norman Lear TV shows had guts

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2019 12:03 AM

Didn't Lucy Ewing have one on DALLAS after Roger the chubby/dumpy photographer raped her.

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2019 12:05 AM

I feel that television's lack of courage in telling stories about abortion is why we're in the likely post Roe v Wade world we're entering today. While liberals are fighting the argument on abortion from a legalistic and rights based perspective, the reich is fighting this from a moral "women who have abortions are baby killers" angle and they are able to brainwash gullible, unintelligent people into supporting them and their positions as a result. If we are to see abortion protected (regardless of what happens at the supreme court), pro choice women and the media have to start taking the issue on again in fictional settings. There need to be pieces explaining both the consequences of having children that women are unprepared for and the consequences of pregnancies that kill the mother. Doing so will help swing the tide back to a pro choice majority. It worked in Ireland and it'll work in Argentina in due time as well.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2019 12:10 AM

R26, I don’t remember if she had an abortion or if she miscarried, or found out she wasn’t actually pregnant. But she definitely considered having one. Pam tried talking her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote]It worked in Ireland and it'll work in Argentina in due time as well.

Ireland was able to legalize abortion because the Catholic Church has absolutely no power there anymore.

In the US, Evangelicals have a stranglehold on public policy.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2019 12:14 AM

The Verger sister had a forced abortion on Hannibal and then her brother took the fetus and stuck it inside a pig.

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 12:15 AM

Erica Kane had the first abortion in 1973.

However they rewrote it like 30 years claiming the doctor implanted the fetus in his wife. Pretty fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2019 12:18 AM

One out of 3 women had an abortion? That’s a lot!

by Anonymousreply 32April 15, 2019 12:24 AM

Back in 1989, NBC made a TV movie about 'Jane Roe' and the Roe v. Wade case starring Holly Hunter and Amy Madigan, for which both actresses won Emmys. It had a brief release on VHS, never hit DVD and was never shown in reruns anywhere. Somebody should have had the balls to air it again in recent weeks to counteract that bullshit evangelical anti-abortion movie Unplanned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 15, 2019 12:25 AM

The white rich bitch dancer in the movie Fame aborted gay Leroy's baby.

by Anonymousreply 34April 15, 2019 12:25 AM

Who had the legal TV abortion first - Maude or Erica Kane?

by Anonymousreply 35April 15, 2019 1:19 AM

Maude

by Anonymousreply 36April 15, 2019 1:41 AM

Do people still have abortions?

by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2019 1:51 AM

[Quote] The Verger sister had a forced abortion on Hannibal and then her brother took the fetus and stuck it inside a pig.

I'm kind of glad I haven't bothered to catch up on this show lol

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2019 8:27 AM

Ruth on GLOW had an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 39April 15, 2019 8:56 AM

The episode of Bojack Horseman (Netflix) where Sextina Aquafina makes a music video for "Get dat fetus, Kill dat fetus" is absolutely HILARIOUS.

---

Plot: Diane (Bojack's biographer, Mr. Peanutbutter's wife, and Social Media Coordinator for hip-hop star Sextina Aquafina) gets pregnant & decides to have an abortion. While agonizing over the decision, she has a brain fart & accidentally tweets, "I'm having an abortion" to Aquafina's account. Aquafina embraces her subsequent unexpected surge in social-media popularity by making a music video & getting pregnant so she can have an abortion for real... live, streaming, for her fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 15, 2019 8:59 AM

And... si tu prefieres escuchar la cancion en espanol...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 15, 2019 10:48 AM

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Also, more than half of women who do have abortions are already moms. Not promiscuous baby-killers as the right likes to say,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 15, 2019 11:16 AM

Amy had an abortion on VEEP last night, 4/14/19.

by Anonymousreply 43April 15, 2019 11:51 AM

I think originally Neve Campbell's character in Party Of Five was supposed to get an abortion. But it was deemed [italic] too controversial[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 44April 15, 2019 12:25 PM

A number of women had abortions on ER over its 15 year run.

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2019 1:58 PM

Back around 2012 on DOOL when gay Will had denial sex with Gabi and she got pregnant they were planning to borrow money under a false pretense and get her to a clinic. In the end she had the kid, tho.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2019 2:01 PM

Claire Underwood has had three abortions in House of Cards.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2019 2:17 PM

Aidy Bryant’s character had one in the 1st or 2nd episode of her new show, Shrill.

by Anonymousreply 48April 15, 2019 2:20 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 49April 15, 2019 2:40 PM

Jane Roe became a pro life advocate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 15, 2019 2:52 PM

Everyone's situation is different. They ought to have options.

Yeah, you may regret it later. But we have to make decisions in life- and live with them.

by Anonymousreply 51April 15, 2019 3:33 PM

I'm glad I never got into that show Veep It seems like a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 52April 15, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]When Vicky found out she was knocked up with Grant Harrison's child on "Another World" in the mid-90s, for example.

Contra another poster, Another World told the first abortion story in television history -- in 1964, Pat Matthews traveled to New York with her boyfriend to have an illegal abortion.

by Anonymousreply 53April 15, 2019 3:37 PM

Veep is absolutely hysterical and anyone who thinks otherwise is a mincing prisspot.

by Anonymousreply 54April 15, 2019 4:11 PM

Maude may not have had an abortion. In the episode, she just says, "We won't have it." She didn't actually use the A word. She could have meant that she would have Florida push her down the stairs and have a miscarriage.

by Anonymousreply 55April 15, 2019 8:20 PM

[quote]Veep is absolutely hysterical and anyone who thinks otherwise is a mincing prisspot.

Veep was absolutely hysterical, like many comedies it loses its charm as it goes on too long and becomes an over the top parody of itself.

by Anonymousreply 56April 15, 2019 10:12 PM

Veep was absolutely hysterical-Bitch PLEASE. You're probably the same type of queen who says some guy is FUGLY or DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. Everything is FANTASTIC or CATASTROPHICALLY bad.

You sound BIPOLAR. You need to take your MEDS PRONTO!

by Anonymousreply 57April 15, 2019 10:38 PM

[quote]I recall shows where a character considered and talked about getting an abortion, but was always eventually talked out of it. When Vicky found out she was knocked up with Grant Harrison's child on "Another World" in the mid-90s, for example.

Also see Miranda in Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 58April 15, 2019 10:42 PM

Ashley Abbott aborted Victor’s baby around 1985.

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2019 10:45 PM

On General Hospital in 2006 or 2007, Luke Spencer’s teenage daughter Lulu aborted her boyfriend Dillon Quatermain’s baby. Lots of discussion beforehand but she did go through with it.

by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2019 10:45 PM

IIRC, Christine on Grey's Anatomy had two abortions during her time on the show.

by Anonymousreply 61April 15, 2019 10:48 PM

R61 two? I know one was Owen's, who was the other? I think with Burke she miscarried.

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2019 10:54 PM

The backwards episode of China Beach where Ricki Lake's character had an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2019 10:55 PM

R62 The first one was earlier in the series. I don't remember who the father was but she definitely had another one besides Owen's.

by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2019 11:07 PM

Sophia from Golden Girls had one! Sicialian style ! With knitting needles and lots of brandy on the kitchen table!

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2019 11:20 PM

GG should have explored the subject by flashing back to young Blanche. I'm sure she had a few illegal scrapes back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2019 11:21 PM

R13 that was Tami Akbar on the LA season. She was desperate to be a STAR (reality TV show, dating show, abortion, mouth wired shut to.lose like 5 pounds, girl group member..., I'm a slave, I'm a slave, I'm a slave to your lovin' she married basketball player Kenny Anderson but they are now divorced.

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2019 11:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!