Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay disco - SF - late 70s

This is what people looked like then.

The video say 70s/80s, but I'd date it late 70s - when was the cowboy look? Lots of cowboys. The fag hags look funny in such a gay scenario.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 25, 2019 12:54 AM

You'll need to open it out full screen.

Love the guy with the fans.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2019 2:19 AM

They need to dub over some Donna Summer.

(enough from me)

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2019 2:21 AM

Definitely the late 70s. This is either The End Up, The Stud, or the I-Beam. I'm going with the I-Beam.

by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2019 2:21 AM

See the guy sniffing poppers @ 1:24?

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2019 2:23 AM

I thought the cowboy look was 1980, when "Urban Cowboy" was a hit movie.

Love the guy with the fans!

by Anonymousreply 5April 12, 2019 2:24 AM

79 to 81. Must have been early in the evening since it wasn’t crowded.

by Anonymousreply 6April 12, 2019 2:24 AM

I worked at Cabaret, I-Beam and the End-Up . A wonderful time to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 7April 12, 2019 2:26 AM

R6 is right - 79 to 81 - I was guessing 1980. Extremely well lit for a disco. Maybe it was a tea dance? Urban Cowboy came out in 1980, so I'm going with 1980. Although the cowboy hat had been around with Village People before then.

by Anonymousreply 8April 12, 2019 2:26 AM

This is really nice. Everyone having fun, not a care in the world, new found sexuality and enjoying it. Also sad though too you know because...

by Anonymousreply 9April 12, 2019 2:29 AM

Wonder how many died of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 10April 12, 2019 2:30 AM

Can anyone read lips? The woman in the purple leotard is singing to something at the 00:50 mark ...

by Anonymousreply 11April 12, 2019 2:37 AM

Definitely 1980. Had the same hair cut in college that the dancing gal in the burgundy Danskin has.

by Anonymousreply 12April 12, 2019 2:41 AM

The hairstyle is how I can tell

by Anonymousreply 13April 12, 2019 3:00 AM

I thought I saw people doing coke, not poppers.

I've never seen a disco so brightly lit.

I wondered if half the dance floor was closeted then and would object to a movie camera.

by Anonymousreply 14April 12, 2019 3:03 AM

Poppers and coke. We used to freebase back then and go to those clubs. It was the beginning of the big warehouse disco era. Disco inferno. Donna, Patrice Russian, Dee Dee Bridgewater. Tower of Power.

by Anonymousreply 15April 12, 2019 3:11 AM

This was filmed early in the evening with the lights up. They were turned up specifically for the filming. Do we know what the purpose of the footage was for?

by Anonymousreply 16April 12, 2019 3:11 AM

R16 - probably some film, news clip or TV show that never saw the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 17April 12, 2019 3:23 AM

I think probably a news thing.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2019 3:02 AM

yasssss queeeen

by Anonymousreply 19April 13, 2019 3:03 AM

Most of those guys don't look too good.

by Anonymousreply 20April 13, 2019 3:07 AM

White people there hadn't learned to dance yet. It got better, fast. Maybe that's just because it's SF? I started clubbing in NYC in 1980 and then quite a bit from 1984 on and white guys could be very sexy dancers. I used to go to SF around 85 and people danced well.

by Anonymousreply 21April 13, 2019 3:09 AM

Where are the clones?

I guess the clones didn't go dancin'.

by Anonymousreply 22April 13, 2019 3:10 AM

[quote]White people there hadn't learned to dance yet. It got better, fast. Maybe that's just because it's SF?

It was very provincial then.

Don't know about now.

by Anonymousreply 23April 13, 2019 3:11 AM

Do people REALLY miss this kidney stone of a decade? Shitty, badly dated music by the Bee Jays; DL Fave/ Scieno Travolta, vomit; nearly talentless, one-hit wonders like Alicia Bridges, Sylvester, TSOP, and Anita Ward; stoopid dances like the Hustle and the Bus Stop; cocaine and other drugs guaranteed to shave decades off of your life expectancy; Mean Mr. AIDS; and - worst of all - shallow, vapid losers who just wanted to fuck their eyeballs out every night with someone new?

Soul Sister No. 1 (Aretha) and Soul Sister No. 2 (Etta) never had to stoop to climbing aboard the Disco Gravy Train. Which was more than good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 24April 13, 2019 3:25 AM

Anyone who wants to feel those disco days again should read Andrew Holleran's Dancer from the Dance.

by Anonymousreply 25April 13, 2019 3:26 AM

No fat people! No tattoos! No one looks like trash.

The cameraman was, I think, very straight. He focused on 3 women very closely in the middle of the clip... boobies, boobies, boobies. One set definitely not contained in a bra... bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.

by Anonymousreply 26April 13, 2019 3:26 AM

Dancing with Sutherland and Malone to The Law of the Land.

by Anonymousreply 27April 13, 2019 3:26 AM

[quote]The cameraman was, I think, very straight.

Definitely has a looking in from the outside vibe.

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2019 3:28 AM

Any chance some of the women were lesbians? One is wearing very minimal make-up and seems uncomfortable when the camera pans over her. We don't see her partner (not that she necessarily would be dancing with another woman if she was with a male friend). Was there much mixing on the gay/lesbian scene?

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2019 3:33 AM

Strange perspective without the music.

by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2019 3:35 AM

I was listening to George Michael's "Fastlove" when I clicked on the video. It seemed to fit perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2019 3:38 AM

R24=sad, bitter, angry little queen who has never been laid.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2019 3:55 AM

R24 I miss the wonderful dance clubs. I miss how much fun we had meeting up with friends, dancing all night - often until am or later and then going out for breakfast together. I was in the military, so no drugs and I wasn't much of a drinker. But I loved to dance. Sunday Tea Dances were the best, it was casual and fun.

Now, what do we have? No dance clubs. We just have boards where we get to reminisce that some things were definitely better. At least when the Horror started, people knew who you were and would check on you. Now who knows who you are? Do you think your Facebook and Twitter friends will organize a care group?

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2019 4:05 AM

[quote][R24]=sad, bitter, angry little queen who has never been laid.

He definitely doesn't "get" America in the '70s. That's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2019 4:07 AM

It's interesting because over time we have a very different perspective of this era - through movies, TV shows, photos on the cover of music albums etc...everyone made up and well presented.

In reality, regular folk looked pretty shabby and unstylish then. Tons and tons of crappy denim.

I'm not knocking the era, there was so much that was fun and creative about it - but it looks better from afar.

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2019 4:14 AM

My goodness, R32! I really got to your soul, didn't I?

Oh, wait - that presumes that you HAVE one in the first place . . .

by Anonymousreply 36April 13, 2019 4:14 AM

You poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 37April 13, 2019 4:18 AM

I think I saw Brett Kavanaugh.

by Anonymousreply 38April 13, 2019 5:08 AM

My era was late 90s early 00's plenty of great music, Alice DJ, ATB etc... That, GHB and ecstasy and foam pits with random cocks, what a time to be alive. I could say the same if I were born earlier and got to experience the 80s and 70; great fucking music as well... Music (IMO) has gone to shit the last decade, electronica is just horrible. I guess I'm showing my age, all good, get off my lawn blah blah blah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 13, 2019 5:21 AM

There are still plenty of clubs where you can dance shirtless and take drugs. Places like Heaven in London never went away.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2019 1:47 AM

The queen twirling the fans around is on DL i'm sure....

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2019 1:54 AM

When the clubs closed, off to the baths. Exiting out into the sunrise, worker bees hustling off to work while we headed to Pam Pam or a Polk Street breakfast dive. Feeling kinda naughty with a gaggle of friends..... new or old. We felt underground and special. The party just never stopped in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2019 2:00 AM

R42, hello Andrew Holleran.

by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2019 12:13 AM

I don't ever recall the gays wearing cowboy hats in San Francisco except at the C and W bars. The place looked to big for the Stud. The End Up was partially outside and that leaves the I Beam. I was struck how the dancers had no idea of the storm about to come.

by Anonymousreply 44April 24, 2019 12:38 AM

Not being snotty, but why would we be aware of the “storm”/plague that was coming. A quick trip to the free clinic provided a fix to any health issue we might have. No worries.

by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2019 12:47 AM

[quote]The queen twirling the fans around is on DL i'm sure....

I hate being a downer but he has AIDS written all over his storyline.

I saw a film a few days ago, a documentary from 1981 and there was a gay guy on there, very handsome, singing and I was SURE if I googled him that he'd have died of AIDS and I was right, died in 1983.

Weird, having been around then, I sort of learned to see this. Hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2019 2:26 AM

R46 Thats no special gift,dear. Odds are in your favor the cute ones are dead. Ive always maintained the statistics were way off. I knew so many men and quite a few women that died,we all did.I think it was millions more than the powers admit to.

by Anonymousreply 47April 24, 2019 2:48 AM

It’s like the ball scene from “The Masque of the Red Death”

by Anonymousreply 48April 24, 2019 3:02 AM

NYC in the late 70s, orgies in the meat trucks and on the piers. Such nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 49April 25, 2019 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!