Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

25 things about America that confuse Europeans

"Why do americans say “mhm” when you thank them instead of “you’re welcome”

"Why do Americans call it a 'restroom?' I've never done anything remotely restful in a toilet."

"why do americans call trousers 'pants'? pants in england means underwear......."

by Anonymousreply 2568 hours ago

"Why do Americans have only 25 things that confuse Europeans?"

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2019

Why do Americans call the ground floor first floor ?

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2019

Why is it called the World Series when no other countries participate ?

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2019

R3, you may be surprised to find out that Canada is, in fact, not the United States.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2019

Why don't Americans use washing lines?

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2019

I'm an American. I got razzed pretty soundly by two London cops after I'd politely asked them: "Excuse me, do you know the way to the [italic]Churchill Cabinet War Rooms[/italic]?" The museum was actually very near, but the double-act those two went into just to mock me was embarrassing and unnecessary. I think they thought I was rude because I didn't end my query with a fawning [italic]please[/italic], like a Brit. I still thanked them, since they'd finally been of some help, but I wasn't about to go all Oliver Twist, either.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2019

[quote] Why don't Americans use washing lines?

Some do. Some don't because they live in places where clothes would freeze.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2019

Most Americans don't use washing lines for a few reasons. A huge percentage of Americans live in HOA neighborhoods that would go apoplectic if someone hung their unmentionables on the line like hillbillies. Most Americans either have their own washer/dryer or in the case of people in cities like NYC they take their laundry to a laundromat. In most cases it's only the poorest of the poor in very rural areas who hang their laundry out on lines.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2019

O.K., on second thoughts, maybe a [italic]please[/italic] wouldn't have hurt. But, honestly, I don't think two American cops would have ganged up on a polite tourist asking directions. O.K., I'm done. Carry on. [italic]Please[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2019

R6/R9, why did you italicize Churchill Cabinet War Rooms?

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2019

My grandmother and mother used clotheslines. I don’t because I am lazy and the pollen, etc. gets on the clothes and sheets and messes up my sinuses.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2019

Carbon friendly

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2019

We call it a hamburger because it was invented in Hamburg,Germany. Which is in Europe you fucking nit.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2019

Why do the local goyim circumcise their youngs?

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2019

We used clothes lines when I was a kid and we lived in a rural area, but no one in the city does it and no one in the US calls them "wash lines;" it's always "clothes line."

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2019

I don't use clothes lines, since I live in an area with lots of mulberry trees. I'd prefer not to have my freshly laundered sheets and towels speckled with purple bird poop.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2019

I have never quite gotten why the British call the trunk of a car "the boot"

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2019

I live in the ‘burbs and there are clotheslines here.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2019

R4, you may be very surprised to learn it was called "World Series" long before any Canadian teams were in MLB. And you may also be very surprised to learn that prior to the mid 1950's, all the major league baseball teams were located in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, so it really couldn't even be called an American Series since it involved only a small segment of the country.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2019

[quote] I've never done anything remotely restful in a toilet.

Sit down?

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2019

[quote] "[R6]/[R9], why did you italicize Churchill Cabinet War Rooms?—Anonymous"

R10, I italicized the name of the place because that's the venue's proper name. Like [italics]The Sherlock Holmes[/italics] pub, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2019

^^^ That would work if you didn’t pluralize “italic.”

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2019

I think it's called the "world series" because of all the people who watch it from around the world, not whose playing.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2019

R17 Or call the hood of a car "the bonnet"

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2019

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2019

Why don't Americans let their cats outside?

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2019

R23 You mean like the World Cup ?

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2019

[quote]not whose playing.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2019

R21, proper names of places get capitalized, not italicization.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2019

If Americans piss and take a dump in the bathroom, where do they take a bath or have a shower?

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2019

Is this New York clothesline for real, or part of a creative project?

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2019

Americans park on a driveway and drive on a Parkway.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2019

That looks like Tribeca, R31. I have never seen clotheslines in Tribeca, ever. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2019

Why did Americans elect a big orange weather balloon President?

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2019

Thanks, R21.

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2019

Why is my vote worth more in some States than others?

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2019

Depending on where you live, it’s impossible to use clothes lines due to the humidity. We’ve had a few warmer days now and it’s already too humid and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2019

[quote] [R10], I italicized the name of the place because that's the venue's proper name. Like [italics]The Sherlock Holmes[/italics] pub, e

That is why you fail.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2019

Why do Americans use so many euphemisms for words relating to sex, death and bodily functions?

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2019

"I think it's called the "world series" because of all the people who watch it from around the world, not whose playing."

Once again, it was called the "World Series" long before television. If you wanted to SEE the World Series or any regular season game, you actually had to go to the game (or listen to it on the radio, or read about it in the newspaper, or watched highlights on the news reel at the movie theater between feature films, long after it was over.

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2019

R2, because it’s the first floor you encounter in the building....

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2019

After the Super Bowl, the commentators always say the winner is a world champion. But again, it's only US teams.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2019

Americans use clothes lines less than Europeans do because we have clothes dryers, which are faster and work regardless of the weather. We have clothes dyers because they're cheap here; also, American houses (and sometimes apartments) are usually larger and newer and are typically designed with a laundry space for two machines. Canadians also use dryers, by the way, for the same reasons Americans do.

In big cities, where apartments are often not equipped with washers and dryers, we sometimes have laundry rooms (like private laundromats) in the basement of the building. Otherwise, we use laundry, aka "wash and fold", services unless we're poor. Then we takes clothes to the laundromat and wash and dry them ourselves.

Also, washers and dryers go together in America. If your home has one, it will almost certainly have the other. The idea of having only a washing machine would seem bizarre to most North Americans; it's usually both or neither.

Don't British laundromats ("laundrettes", I think?) have dryers?

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2019

Why do Americans drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2019

If Europeans are confused by these things, then I wonder how European civilization managed to conquer the world.

We do these things because that's how we do them in America. What's so hard to figure out about that?

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2019

I lived in Europe for ten years and this list is fucking stupid as hell

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2019

Why are Europeans so backward and insular that they can’t understand North Americans do things differently?

by Anonymousreply 4704/10/2019

“Backward and insular”, R47? You’re being ironic, aren’t you? And pretty funny if so!

by Anonymousreply 4804/10/2019

[quote] I think it's called the "world series" because of all the people who watch it from around the world, not whose playing.

The World Series used to be called the World’s or Worlds Series. It had nothing to do with who watched it around the world, because as an earlier posted noted, one had to attend the game in person to watch it. It had nothing to do with which countries were participating as teams from the United States were the only participants. It was probably because the United States was the only country in the world at the time to have professional baseball at that level, and thus the embryonic series of games to determine the champion team could be marketed as the national or “world” championships. Although not entirely accurate, the concept of “champion of the baseball world” better fits as the champion team was the winner at the highest level of professional baseball. According to Wikipedia:

[quote] The series was promoted and referred to as "The Championship of the United States", "World's Championship Series", or "World's Series" for short. In his book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883, Simon Winchester mentions in passing that the World Series was named for the New York World newspaper, but this view is disputed.

by Anonymousreply 4904/10/2019

You're boring R49.

by Anonymousreply 5004/10/2019

R50, Don't be rude!

by Anonymousreply 5104/10/2019

Closets instead of wardrobes.

by Anonymousreply 5204/10/2019

Stop using dryer and save our world

by Anonymousreply 5304/10/2019

Yeah we have dryers in pretty much every house in Europe but most people still dry outside if they can.

by Anonymousreply 5404/10/2019

R41 No it’s the ground floor, first floor is the one above.

by Anonymousreply 5504/10/2019

Hey, r19, fuck off because all the crap you posted in no way connects to what I was responding to, which was

[quote] Why is it called the World Series when no other countries participate ?

So the original post was demonstrably false in the assertion that "no other countries participate."

by Anonymousreply 5604/10/2019

R26, because there are packs of bloodthirsty coyotes that will disembowel and eat their cats and small dogs while still alive.

This is actually a problem in my neighborhood. One night recently I opened the sliding glass door. There’s a screen door covering the opening. My cat and I were standing by the door, when we heard one coyote howl, then another coyote take up the howl and the next and the next. My cat backed away from the door and I shut it.

I found out on a neighborhood website that several neighbors’ pets had been killed by coyotes. One man heard his neighbor’s small dog barking. He went out to find a coyote had the dog by a leg and was dragging him away. He was able to scare the coyote off and the dog lived.

There are no natural predators of coyotes and until recently, there were tons of jackrabbits everywhere but they’re all eaten now.

by Anonymousreply 5704/10/2019

[quote] there were tons of jackrabbits everywhere but they’re all eaten now.

Why didn’t the just breed like rabbits?

by Anonymousreply 5804/10/2019

[quote] there were tons of jackrabbits everywhere but they’re all eaten now.

Why didn’t they just breed like rabbits?

by Anonymousreply 5904/10/2019

On the plus side, I haven’t seen any cockroaches this year, because there are at least two big fat lizards living under the bushes by my door.

And this is in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 6004/10/2019

R59, they did. They were everywhere. You would drive your car through the streets at night and they would come running back and forth across the streets, which rabbits will do.

But then, munch munch. The coyotes must be getting really desperate. Someone said there was a stray cat that lived near the eighteenth hole (I live very near the golf course), and that cat was eaten. Coyotes hunt in packs and they can take even fairly large dogs.

by Anonymousreply 6104/10/2019

Can you tame coyotes and keep them as pets? How doggy are they?

by Anonymousreply 6204/10/2019

They’re not tame. I think people sometimes will get coyote/dog mixed breeds, but they are wild animals and very hard to handle. You have to know what you’re doing.

by Anonymousreply 6304/10/2019

R56: stupider than a box of hair. Do get some bed rest once you come down off the meth high.

by Anonymousreply 6404/10/2019

R62 Not at all, they're afraid of humans mostly and to my knowledge can't be domesticated. I grew up in a rural area and there were a couple people who had wolf-hybrid dogs that were vicious (and illegal.)

by Anonymousreply 6504/10/2019

[quote] How doggy are they?

Tehe.

by Anonymousreply 6604/10/2019

R65, that’s my understanding. Only people who live out in the country can somewhat interact with them and they’re bigger and wilder than regular dogs. That can’t really be trained or anything like that. Anybody who would do that is pretty reckless.

by Anonymousreply 6704/10/2019

Good comeback, r64. I look forward to your next response with great anticipation. And next time it might even have something to do with the actual topic.

by Anonymousreply 6804/10/2019

I think my cat wonder outside every night to have sex. Like a sex club for cats.

by Anonymousreply 6904/10/2019

Scooter the coyote

by Anonymousreply 7004/10/2019

The men and women shower every day in The US but their assholes are so dirty. Especially the straights......

by Anonymousreply 7104/10/2019

R56, you were trying to be a major cunt in your original post at R4, then somebody came along and out cunted you. Deal with it, as well as your inherent stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 7204/10/2019

I love you r68.

by Anonymousreply 7304/10/2019

[quote]Why don't Americans use washing lines?

Washing lines (clotheslines) are considered trashy and lower-class in upscale neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 7404/10/2019

^^^they get eaten by coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 7504/10/2019

[bold]PRESIDENT DONALD FUCKING TRUMP.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 7604/10/2019

R76 It shouldn't be that big of a mystery, there are several current and recent EU leaders he strongly resembles...

by Anonymousreply 7704/10/2019

Why do Brits call a radio a wireless?

by Anonymousreply 7804/10/2019

HIS HOLINESS VLADIMIR PUTIN

by Anonymousreply 7904/10/2019

This one’s good:

[quote]why do Americans always say “tuna fish”? Have they got fucking tuna dogs over there or something?

I’ve often wondered about this myself and I’m American.

by Anonymousreply 8004/10/2019

What's with the fixation Europeans have with never wearing shoes in the house? Americans will take our shoes off if there's a reason to need to, or the host prefers it (some do,) but there's no set cultural practice.

by Anonymousreply 8104/10/2019

OP, I avoid "you're welcome" in a lot of situations because it can come off sounding rude. It implies you did someone a favor, or they burdened you in some way. Similar vein to saying "de nada" in spanish.

by Anonymousreply 8204/10/2019

[quote] "why do americans call trousers 'pants'? pants in england means underwear......."

why do brits assume they're necessarily right and we're necessarily wrong? they always do, you know.

by Anonymousreply 8304/10/2019

Without clotheslines how are naked time travelers supposed to find clothes to wear?

by Anonymousreply 8404/10/2019

How can coffee be so popular yet so disgusting?

by Anonymousreply 8504/10/2019

If Americans piss and take a dump in the bathroom, where do they take a bath or have a shower?

What are the alternatives? Many Europeans say "w.c.," but that's short for "water closet," which is itself a euphemism and akin to "wash room." (And why should "wash room" be any better as a euphemism than restroom?)

Brits say lavatories, or "loos" for short; "lavatory" translates as "washroom."

Even "toilets" come from a polite euphemisms, as wikipedia shows:

[quote] Toilet was originally a French loanword (first attested in 1540) that referred to the toilette ("little cloth") draped over one's shoulders during hairdressing. During the late 17th century,the term came to be used by metonymy in both languages for the whole complex of grooming and body care that centered at a dressing table (also covered by a cloth) and for the equipment composing a toilet service, including a mirror, hairbrushes, and containers for powder and makeup. The time spent at such a table also came to be known as one's "toilet"; it came to be a period during which close friends or tradesmen were received as "toilet-calls".

[quote] The use of "toilet" to describe a special room for grooming came much later (first attested in 1819), following the French cabinet de toilet. Similar to "powder room", [bold]"toilet" then came to be used as a euphemism for rooms dedicated to urination and defecation,[/bold] particularly in the context of signs for public toilets, as on trains.

Basically, unless you actually call it "the room dedicated to urination and defecation" (or else "the shitter") you're using a polite euphemism. "Rest room" is no less accurate nor is it daintier than any of the others.

by Anonymousreply 8604/10/2019

r85 = 7 year old boy

by Anonymousreply 8704/10/2019

[quote]Why do Americans use so many euphemisms for words relating to sex, death and bodily functions?

Because England dumped all of its Puritans on us several centuries ago.

by Anonymousreply 8804/10/2019

Why do Americans use so many euphemisms for words relating to sex, death and bodily functions?

Because we are extremely creative and like word play, finding new variations to say the same things, it keeps our minds alert and seeking new ways of expression.

by Anonymousreply 8904/10/2019

R89 We also invented spin!

by Anonymousreply 9004/10/2019

pip pip cheerio

by Anonymousreply 9104/10/2019

R81 keeps the carpets clean.

by Anonymousreply 9204/10/2019

We don’t have clotheslines because we live in apartment buildings and drop off our dirty clothes at a laundromat, where we then pick them up the following day, all clean and folded in a neat little stack.

by Anonymousreply 9304/10/2019

We put eggs in the refrigerator because we're all totally fucking paranoid about getting food poisoning or some horrible disease from tainted food.

by Anonymousreply 9404/10/2019

R94 Righty so, it's a problem here. I never knew you could leave eggs out until recently.

by Anonymousreply 9504/10/2019

[quote]We do these things because that's how we do them in America. What's so hard to figure out about that?

I used to find articles like this one interesting, until I figured out that Europeans aren't 'confused' about these things at all. They just can't wrap their minds around us not doing everything like they do it. It's like they're flabbergasted that our culture is - gasp! - different than their own.

It's an oddly provincial attitude, which is ironic, since the implication of their confusion is that our ways are backward and should be more like theirs in order to be 'correct'.

by Anonymousreply 9604/10/2019

Is "Why do Americans resist adopting the metric system"

or "Why do Americans who look at their watch waiting for the next mass shooting so they can tweet #PrayforGunNutVille or otherwise shrug and do nothing about it freak out when someone online uses the word 'retarded'?"

or "Why do Americans demand 50x more purity from Democratic candidates but okay gibbering, gigantic, lecherous grifting Republican candidates?"

among those 25 things? Those confuse me, and I don't have citizenship in a European country.

by Anonymousreply 9704/10/2019

Why do Europeans hand over their rights and sovereignty to a bunch of asshole bureaucrats in Brussels who never have their best interests in mind?

by Anonymousreply 9804/10/2019

Europeans are so precious with their stubborn adherence to their quaint insular folkways.

by Anonymousreply 9904/10/2019

One thing you can give Americans is they work harder..

by Anonymousreply 10004/10/2019

25 Americans actually care what Europeans think of them.

by Anonymousreply 10104/10/2019

One thing southern Europeans definitely do not understand is how Americans and northern Europeans do not use a bidet every time they use the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 10204/11/2019

R54 That‘s simply not true. If you have a house you might, but most apartments have no space for more than a washing machine. I live in a big European and I can assure you, having a dryer is rare.

by Anonymousreply 10304/11/2019

^^ a big European CITY.

by Anonymousreply 10404/11/2019

Bird shit magnet.

by Anonymousreply 10504/11/2019

Do you have to wear a ball gown and tiara if you're on a grand jury or normal clothes like you would do on a normal jury?

by Anonymousreply 10604/11/2019

R103 what are you talking about? I live in a big European city too and everyone has a dryer in their house/apartment. It's usually stacked on top of the washing machine. Saves space that way.

by Anonymousreply 10704/11/2019

Why do you have elections for administrative offices like sheriff, judge or chief executive, who are there to enact political or legal decisions not make them?

by Anonymousreply 10804/11/2019

Different cities, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 10904/11/2019

R103 everyone I know has a dryer.

by Anonymousreply 11004/11/2019

Let‘s move this from who one knows. I googled. 42% of private households in my country have a dryer as of 2018. in the US the only number I could find was from 2009 and it was 80%.

by Anonymousreply 11104/11/2019

[quote]I got razzed pretty soundly by two London cops after I'd politely asked them: "Excuse me, do you know the way to the Churchill Cabinet War Rooms?"

I guess I don't understand why. It's the Churchhill Museum and the Cabinet War Rooms Museum, both in the same building. What were they so upset about?

I swear, people get their panties in a twist over nothing nowadays, as if we don't have REAL things to get all snarky about.

by Anonymousreply 11204/11/2019

[quote]Americans use clothes lines less than Europeans do because we have clothes dryers, which are faster and work regardless of the weather.

I used clotheslines until I had purple bird poop stains on a white tee that wouldn't come out, and also someone stole some of my boxer shorts. Then I put a line up on the inside of my screened-in porch which I could keep locked, and I caught someone trying to break in after hearing them say to a friend, "Hold on, I want those towels." By the time I got to the porch they were trying to force open the door. To get my wet towels.

Someone from Europe in that thread about debit cards getting hacked asked if hacking is really that bad in the US, and yes, theft of all kinds is just off the charts here.

by Anonymousreply 11304/11/2019

How did you guys survive before dryers ?

by Anonymousreply 11404/11/2019

We didn't. We died, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 11504/11/2019

For people afraid pollen will get on their clothes... What do you think happens the second you step outside?

by Anonymousreply 11604/11/2019

Nothing r116, because I have an attached garage, and my job has an indoor one.

by Anonymousreply 11704/11/2019

[quote]For people afraid pollen will get on their clothes... What do you think happens the second you step outside?

Oh sweet Jesus, it's THIS asshole again.

Look -- there's a big difference to allergy sufferers between the brief exposures moving the clothes on their bodies from building to car or bus, then back inside again.....and letting the laundry they're supposed to wear marinate in wind-driven pollen for hours.

by Anonymousreply 11804/11/2019

[quote] It's like they're flabbergasted that our culture is - gasp! - different than their own.

[quote] It's an oddly provincial attitude, which is ironic, since the implication of their confusion is that our ways are backward and should be more like theirs in order to be 'correct'.

Exactly, that was very surprising to me as was the attitude of the Northeast to the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 11904/11/2019

[quote]OP, I avoid "you're welcome" in a lot of situations because it can come off sounding rude. It implies you did someone a favor, or they burdened you in some way. Similar vein to saying "de nada" in spanish

But if they’re saying “thank you” to you, you did do them a favor, no matter how minute.

by Anonymousreply 12004/11/2019

[quote]How can coffee be so popular yet so disgusting?

What about their horrible tea? (and why's it always Lipton?)

And why do they sometimes laugh in your face if you ask for milk in your tea?

by Anonymousreply 12104/11/2019

If everyone had clothes dryers in Europe, they'd have big fluffy bath towels like in the US, not horrible thin waffle towels which dry faster. Sadly, much of Europe is dryer free. Utilities are very expensive. We have collapsible drying racks to put on a balcony if we have one. Some of us even dry our socks and underwear on the radiator.

by Anonymousreply 12204/11/2019

R121 please explain the hate for Lipton tea.

And what's wrong with milk in one's tea?

by Anonymousreply 12304/11/2019

[quote]And what's wrong with milk in one's tea?

I don't know. They (the Americans, especially black gurls) seem to think it's funny

by Anonymousreply 12404/11/2019

[quote]Why do americans say “mhm” when you thank them instead of “you’re welcome”

Because the person responding to your "thank you" is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 12504/11/2019

" No problem," R 125.

by Anonymousreply 12604/11/2019

I had never heard if the idea that " you're welcome" is offensive. What a bizarre notion. I have that filed under "basic manners". If you think someone doing their job isn't doing you a favor then why thank them in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 12704/11/2019

R121 Adding cold milk to hot tea seems strange and unnecessary to me. I was in college the first time I saw someone do it. Yes, I add milk to coffee.... we just don't ever mix milk and hot tea here.

by Anonymousreply 12804/11/2019

R127 You're supposed to play off whatever you did as having been nothing, no problem, a matter of course. You don't want to come off as condescending or put-upon.

by Anonymousreply 12904/11/2019

When I first visited the USA I was really freaked out by the fact that no one seemed to walk anywhere. There were far fewer pedestrian crossings and everything is geared toward cars. Like, drive through post boxes and ATMs aren't a thing where I'm from. In the states one can conceivably never leave ones car except maybe to refuel. Then I saw a drive through Dunkin Donuts and the obesity epidemic suddenly made sense.

by Anonymousreply 13004/11/2019

[quote]Adding cold milk to hot tea seems strange and unnecessary to me. Yes, I add milk to coffee.... we just don't ever mix milk and hot tea here.

So where do you draw the distinction between coffee and tea?

Why is pouring cold milk in hot coffee any different?

by Anonymousreply 13104/11/2019

R131 Don't know. Cultural difference I guess.

by Anonymousreply 13204/11/2019

R127 why though? I'd never expect someone to pretend like that. I mean if you're in the service industry we both know you're working hard and probably hate your job. That's why you get thanked for doing it. I just don't get that mindset at all.

by Anonymousreply 13304/11/2019

The "roommate" thing always confused me. In the UK we say "flatmate" or "housemate". A "roommate" would suggest you're both sleeping in the same room.

by Anonymousreply 13404/11/2019

R133 I think it establishes equality between us? Idk. I do know you always thank someone who does something for you, regardless of how small, and they usually barely acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 13504/11/2019

[quote]So where do you draw the distinction between coffee and tea?

What? You think they're the same drink?

by Anonymousreply 13604/11/2019

How is coffee disgusting? Are you saying American coffee is bad or coffe in general?

I have memories of my grandmas house and waking up to bacon frying and coffee percolating on the stove. Those old fashioned percolators made the best smelling and tasting coffee ever.

by Anonymousreply 13704/11/2019

[quote] No problem," R 125.

That isn't rude. That's someone reassuring you that it isn't a problem for them to complete a task because they are sympathetic to the feelings of others and would personally feel like they're putting someone out by making a request for their assistance.

They don't just "expect" everything like some people. "MM HHMMMM".

by Anonymousreply 13804/11/2019

[quote]we just don't ever mix milk and hot tea here.

He doesn't mean green tea, he's talking about black tea. And yes, everyone basically everywhere adds milk to this kind of tea.

by Anonymousreply 13904/11/2019

Drinking black tea without milk is gag inducing. It's like drinking green tea with milk. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 14004/11/2019

Dates as written in the U.S. e.g. 9/11/2001. It seems to me that 11/9/2001 makes more sense - day month year.

by Anonymousreply 14104/11/2019

R141 We write it the way we say it. "September 11th," not "the 11th of September."

by Anonymousreply 14204/11/2019

Tons of ignorant and selfish hicks and suburban dummies let their cats outside, R26. A billion birds are killed each year due to it. Countless road deaths, too.

by Anonymousreply 14304/11/2019

It's called the World Series b/c a NYC paper called The World was the original sponsor.

by Anonymousreply 14404/11/2019

I use a drying rack in my apt. Very rarely use a dryer, mainly to get out cat hair.

by Anonymousreply 14504/11/2019

Year, month, day makes the most sense. We already use hours : minutes : seconds.

by Anonymousreply 14604/11/2019

Until the formation of the American Association in 1882 as a second major league, the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players (1871–1875) and then the National League (founded 1876) represented the top level of organized baseball in the United States. All championships were awarded to the team with the best record at the end of the season, without a postseason series being played. From 1884 to 1890, the National League and the American Association faced each other in a series of games at the end of the season to determine an overall champion....

The series was promoted and referred to as "The Championship of the United States", "World's Championship Series", or "World's Series" for short. In his book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883, Simon Winchester mentions in passing that the World Series was named for the New York World newspaper, but this view is disputed.

by Anonymousreply 14704/11/2019

I'm confused as to why Europeans are seemingly too stupid to use the internet to clear up any of these ridiculous confusions they might have.

by Anonymousreply 14804/11/2019

[quote]What? You think they're the same drink?

Who said that? The poster tried to say it was silly to pour “cold milk in hot tea,” yet admitted he poured “milk in [hot] coffee.”

by Anonymousreply 14904/11/2019

Like the British, of all people, are in any position to snark about the dietary habits of others.

by Anonymousreply 15004/11/2019

But it doesn't make sense to say it's the same thing, R149. They're different drinks. Milk tastes differently in each drink.

That's like saying "what's the difference between putting chocolate syrup on ice cream or apple pie?"

by Anonymousreply 15104/11/2019

Ooh I have one!

Why do Americans think putting vinegar on French fries (or "chips" as the UK calls them) is weird, but think nothing's odd about salt and vinegar potato chips?

by Anonymousreply 15204/11/2019

'Cause we're thinking of white vinegar which tastes like, and can be used as a substitute for, bleach.

Plus, y'all do that and we don't so y'all are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 15304/11/2019

What don’t you get r151?

The poster said it was silly to pour [bold]cold[/bold] milk in [bold]hot[/bold] tea but then admitted he poured [bold]cold[/bold] milk in [bold]hot[/bold] coffee.

by Anonymousreply 15404/11/2019

[quote]"Why do Americans call it a 'restroom?' I've never done anything remotely restful in a toilet."

You're right. It should be referred to as "the crapper".

by Anonymousreply 15504/11/2019

Why do Brits refer to all desserts as "pudding"? Dumbest thing ever.

by Anonymousreply 15604/11/2019

Lower class people in England call it dessert.

It's considered a French word - all use of French words in England are considered low class - serviette (napkin), toilet (lavatory).

by Anonymousreply 15704/11/2019

Americans walk on sidewalks (and drive on the pavement). In the UK they walk on the pavement.

America has the roadside. Europe as the verge.

America has multi lane roads. The UK has dual carriageways.

America has medians. The UK has central reservations.

by Anonymousreply 15804/11/2019

Is the word "restaurant" considered lower class, R157?

by Anonymousreply 15904/11/2019

R157 Seriously? Shouldn't that be the opposite? I thought french things were inherently fancy.

by Anonymousreply 16004/11/2019

^^oui oui

by Anonymousreply 16104/11/2019

English is riddled with words of French origin. So hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 16204/11/2019

[quote]Seriously? Shouldn't that be the opposite? I thought french things were inherently fancy.

I agree. It's odd, isn't it?

A few more:

ALWAYS - America (never "The States" or "The US")

ALWAYS - England (never The UK or Britain, unless of course that's what you mean)

ALWAYS - Sofa NEVER Settee or couch

ALWAYS - Living Room or Drawing Room

by Anonymousreply 16304/11/2019

In America, French is used on products to present an "upscale" image. Cosmetics and such.

Spanish is considered a very low-class language in America. Is that the same in Britain?

by Anonymousreply 16404/11/2019

Most Europeans consider Americans (USA) very small minded and provincial when in fact most Europeans are the most small minded and provincial people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 16504/11/2019

R163 Heh? What now?

by Anonymousreply 16604/11/2019

[quote]ALWAYS - Sofa NEVER Settee or couch

I prefer "chesterfield".

by Anonymousreply 16704/11/2019

Not all Europeans are the same, here is a book by an englishman Stephen Clarke, about french people, it's short, but it gives you an idea of cultural differences between the countries.

Also by the same author, "A 1000 years of annoying the French" might also give you an idea of the historical context between the two.

In France we dry our clothes on lines, inside or outside depending of the weather, but dryers are getting more and more popular. My washing machine is a combo dryer, the dryer part is shit, the clothes end up damp and pipping hot, full of steam, I couldn't be considered it dry.

by Anonymousreply 16804/11/2019

[quote]Not all Europeans are the same

WOW! Just WOW!

(I never say WOW! Just WOW! - but, really....)

by Anonymousreply 16904/11/2019

Faucet. Posh name for a tap.

by Anonymousreply 17004/11/2019

As an Irish person I have a question for the French...

What's with the UHT milk?

by Anonymousreply 17104/11/2019

R171 It's fantastique! You buy them by 6 or 8 liters, they're preserved for a couple of months and you don't have milk turning bad in your fridge (just don't let it sit for ever once open) It represent 97% of the consumption of milk in France.

by Anonymousreply 17204/11/2019

R172 Hmph, Americans would never get away with drinking shelf-stable milk uncritiqued.

Our milk is usually fresh.

by Anonymousreply 17304/11/2019

The thread was things that confuse Europeans about Americans. People comment as asked and very quickly Americans start sniping back. There are many people out here in the big, wide world who aren’t as impressed by America as some Americans think we should be. Particularly these days. Get over it.

And you know what, we know how shitty our own countries are as well. I live in England. There is no one who can say anything disparaging about my country of birth that I won’t have said myself. Or worse. I don’t base my self esteem around an accident of birth.

Fire away.

by Anonymousreply 17404/11/2019

Who asked you to be impressed with the US?

by Anonymousreply 17504/11/2019

R172 but the taste *shudder*

by Anonymousreply 17604/11/2019

25 Things about UK that confuse Americans-One of which is- Why do you keep driving on the wrong side of the road? Even Sweden switched over in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 17704/11/2019

R152. In my region of the US, lots of people put vinegar of fries

by Anonymousreply 17804/11/2019

R177 Start a different thread.

by Anonymousreply 17904/11/2019

R98 I forgot to answer to you, I also love our Bruxelles' bureaucrats, we elect them, so we can change them (the next european députés election is in a few weeks), we are sometime more protected by european laws than by national ones, last year they stopped the telecom co to charge us roaming service for using our mobile phone in another european coutry, that shit was expensive! I don't think tel company did much publicity to say they were forced to drop the roaming fee, but presented it like it was a gift from them.

R176 I have no idea what fresh milk taste like...

Anybody remember Rick Mayall's New Statesman? That was funny!

by Anonymousreply 18004/11/2019

Two things that really surprised me, a European, when I visited the US was how AMAZING the architecture was , specifically the Victorian and Neo-Tudor houses, and how pristine were many of the towns. I can only imagine the cost and the commitment involved.

by Anonymousreply 18104/11/2019

R178, where are you from? You’ve got me thinking of trying that.

by Anonymousreply 18204/11/2019

FYI, milk in tea is not a European thing, it's a British post-colonial thing. I'm from Central Europe and no one does that here. And if you asked for it people would probably laugh you off.

by Anonymousreply 18304/11/2019

It's funny that most Brits pronounce the world "restaurant" with a decided French accent. They always say "restraw".

by Anonymousreply 18404/11/2019

Why do the Brits say "whilst" instead of "while"? It's not 1600. Methinks thou dost make a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 18504/11/2019

Why can't the Brits and the French kiss and make up? Just because you've been fighting wars with each other since the beginning of time doesn't mean the animosity has to continue.

by Anonymousreply 18604/11/2019

[quote]Two things that really surprised me, a European, when I visited the US ... [first thing deleted] ... and how pristine were many of the towns.

Really? I'm not an American (I'm Canadian), but I always marvel at the cleanliness when I see pictures taken in Germany, for example. I always envision people scrubbing the cracks in the sidewalks with toothbrushes every morning before they leave for work.

Of course, Germany isn't all of Europe, but still ...

by Anonymousreply 18704/11/2019

R186 not all the Brits, just the English, we're fine with the Scottish and the Irish... and the other one who also voted to leave.

by Anonymousreply 18804/11/2019

R187 well, Germany is pristine in small, affluent towns and the ones that were done up for tourists and Munich. The rest, not so much. Berlin is a wonderful city but really dirty.

by Anonymousreply 18904/11/2019

Why do Brits call cookies “biscuits”

by Anonymousreply 19004/11/2019

Wow "some"Brits still can't except that their ways are not standard for everybody else in the world. Colonization is not everybody's thing,might as well face it now slags.

by Anonymousreply 19104/11/2019

I guess using „except“ instead of „accept“ is some form of anti-English rebellion?

by Anonymousreply 19204/11/2019

R178

Maryland

by Anonymousreply 19304/11/2019

Why do Europeans eat horses and dogs? Why are Europeans such whiny asses?

by Anonymousreply 19404/11/2019

I'm European (not Brit) and I find the idea of putting milk in tea revolting. Those two just don't go together. I sometimes put milk or condensed milk in coffee to take away the bitterness, since black coffee is gross. I only put a slice of lemon in my tea, nothing else. Green tea is obviously perfect as is.

by Anonymousreply 19504/11/2019

r195 Obviously, you're not buying good coffee, since black coffee is not gross.

Or else...there's this thing called taste, whereby you put condensed milk in coffee, and I drink it black.

I'm American, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 19604/11/2019

I'm from northeastern Ohio and some of us put apple cider vinegar on our fries. If you buy fries from an outdoor vendor, there will always be a shaker of salt, a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of vinegar provided for you to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 19704/11/2019

Cut dicks.

by Anonymousreply 19804/11/2019

Why are Europeans allergic to bathing and washing their hair more than once a month?

Why do British teeth make people’s blood run cold?

Why do backwards ass, small minded dull as dishwater Europeans think North Americans give one ounce of a shit what they think of them?

by Anonymousreply 19904/11/2019

[quote]It's considered a French word - all use of French words in England are considered low class - serviette (napkin), toilet (lavatory).

How about courgette and aubergine? Aren't those the British default words for the vegetables we call zucchini and eggplant?

by Anonymousreply 20004/11/2019

One thing that would really surprise Americans and maybe other Europeans is how obsessively clean Italians are. The stores are filled with cleaning products unknown anywhere else. You could eat off the floor in their homes. A straight male will bring as many lotions and products to the gym as women use. On public transport they seldom if ever stink in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 20104/11/2019

R190 It's down to William the Conqueror.

The French brought over the cooking names, left the Saxon names for the animals.

Cow = bourf = beef Pig = porc = pork Sheep = agneux = lamb

You get cookies I presume from dutch, we get biscuits from the french.

by Anonymousreply 20204/12/2019

[quote]People comment as asked and very quickly Americans start sniping back.

Because Americans have to put up with this kind of shit ALL THE TIME, and it gets old. Most of these 'confusing' questions aren't really confusing to those asking. The whole exercise is really just an excuse for people from other countries to trash on the way Americans do things/talk/eat/live, and proclaim their own superiority instead of just accepting cultural differences. Every single time, that's what these sorts of discussions devolve into.

by Anonymousreply 20304/12/2019

They're just angling for our attention.

Most Americans could not care less what Europeans think of them

by Anonymousreply 20404/12/2019

Why is the US so committed to harshly punishing law breakers?

by Anonymousreply 20504/12/2019

Why wouldn't they be? Have you seen the crime statistics?

by Anonymousreply 20604/12/2019

Agree with r196.

I have one of those Kuerig pod machines so have tried all different coffees. Some I like, some I don’t, but I can say there are definite differences in flavors of plain old black coffee.

by Anonymousreply 20704/12/2019

I'm Irish and most if us got milky tea in our baby bottles... Just to recap: Tea for babies=fine, Breast feeding babies= against god and nature.

by Anonymousreply 20804/12/2019

Is there a suitable retort when someone replies “mhm” when you thank?

by Anonymousreply 20904/12/2019

Herschey bars.

WTF are they about? Why don't you make proper chocolate in America?

by Anonymousreply 21004/12/2019

[quote]Herschey bars.

None of us have any idea what these are.

by Anonymousreply 21104/12/2019

As for proper chocolate: Cadbury's solidified chocolate-flavored paste is just as bad as Hershey's.

by Anonymousreply 21204/12/2019

I find it bizarre that Americans use pencils for writing. In my country, pencils are for sketching and drawing. Kids in school use pens. Is ink expensive in America or something? I just find it so strange.

by Anonymousreply 21304/12/2019

Lindt is the business

by Anonymousreply 21404/12/2019

R210 is under the impression that a nation of over 300 million people only manufactures ONE brand of chocolate candy.

And yes, Cadbury's is shit.

by Anonymousreply 21504/12/2019

I was shocked to learn some Brits still drink powdered instant coffee. Vile shit.

by Anonymousreply 21604/12/2019

Well, is there?

by Anonymousreply 21704/12/2019

R217, something simple:

“Excuse me, I don’t think you heard me. I said ‘thank you.’”

by Anonymousreply 21804/12/2019

[quote] “Excuse me, I don’t think you heard me. I said ‘thank you.’”

Guaranteed to provoke another "mhm" at the very least, if not a fistfight.

by Anonymousreply 21904/12/2019

People bitching about American terms like bathroom or restroom need to think about the English and their infantilization of their language. “Brekkie” and “lippie” sound ridiculous and borderline retarded to me. It’s breakfast and lipstick or gloss if you prefer.

by Anonymousreply 22004/12/2019

R220 I think that's Aussies.

by Anonymousreply 22104/12/2019

America isn’t perfect, but I don’t think that I could live anywhere else. And I wouldn’t want to either.

by Anonymousreply 22204/12/2019

Don't forget "sunnies," r220, now that the weathie is nicie.

by Anonymousreply 22304/12/2019

Tipping. We tip way too much and way too often

by Anonymousreply 22404/12/2019

UGH. R223. Sunnies makes my blood pressure skyrocket.

Oh, and why do Europeans rag on Americans but IMMEDIATELY start adopting American slang (bro is now everywhere) and music.

by Anonymousreply 22504/12/2019

Lecky

by Anonymousreply 22604/12/2019

I fucking hate it when Brits call something nice "Lush" makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 22704/12/2019

Second to tipping. This is not the Middle Ages when travelers paid the ostler to stable and water the horses at an inn. I am not the server's employer and I do not expect to pay him or her any more than I expect to pay the light bill or rent.

by Anonymousreply 22804/12/2019

Well, R228, then you'd better be prepared to pay considerably higher prices at restaurants, because these service people are deliberately underpaid with the expectation that they'll make up for it in tips. Is it right or fair or even efficient - no. But refusing to tip out of pique at the system is a dick move, and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 22904/12/2019

R209 By our standards they're being polite, so no.

by Anonymousreply 23004/12/2019

[quote]I find it bizarre that Americans use pencils for writing.

and on those awful yellow legal pads they're so keen on!

by Anonymousreply 23104/12/2019

[quote]I fucking hate it when Brits call something nice "Lush" makes my skin crawl.

I've never heard anyone say that.

I hate "I was SAT next to this guy".

by Anonymousreply 23204/12/2019

R231 Y'all don't use legal pads?

by Anonymousreply 23304/12/2019

[quote]Keen on legal pads

Why?

by Anonymousreply 23404/12/2019

R234 They're useful.

by Anonymousreply 23504/12/2019

Cossies, pressies, mozzies, prossies, Chrissie.. (swimsuits, presents, mosquitoes, prostitutes, Christmas).

Bazza, Hazza, Muzza, Shazza...(Barry, Harry, Murray, Sharon).

by Anonymousreply 23604/12/2019

why are people mad when others don't respond in the exact manner they want them to?

by Anonymousreply 23704/12/2019

[quote]Cossies, pressies, mozzies, prossies, Chrissie..

I've never heard of any of those?

I think a lot of people learn about England from watching Eastenders (& AbFab).

by Anonymousreply 23804/12/2019

I like legal pads, too. They have lines, and they're held together at the top. I always hated pads or notebooks where the binding was on the side. I used to buy them in white or blue instead of yellow.

by Anonymousreply 23904/12/2019

[quote]I always hated pads or notebooks where the binding was on the side.

I've always hated them because I'm left-handed.

by Anonymousreply 24004/12/2019

R194 we eat horses because we were invited to during the 19th century when cars replaced horses on the road, it taste good so we continued. The USA has a problem with too many mustangs living in the wild, we don't have wild horses in europe, they have to belong to somebody and have an ID, be vaccined etc...

We don't eat dogs

We complain because we can, that's our version of "the freedom of speech", it's a proof we're not in a totalitarian country. But hate speech is illegal.

by Anonymousreply 24104/12/2019

Who the fuck in Europe eats horse? I've never eaten horse???

by Anonymousreply 24204/12/2019

Barbarism. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 243Last Saturday at 12:54 AM

Yeah but seriously I'm Irish and never heard of this?

by Anonymousreply 244Last Saturday at 1:16 AM

That "mhm!" thing is horrible. Even as an American I do not understand it.

by Anonymousreply 245Last Saturday at 1:41 AM

∆ except that one time when the tesco beef pies were revealed to have horsemeat in them and everyone lost their minds. It was a huge scandal. Who eats horsemeat in Europe? Let me guess....the French? No one eats dog I know that much.

by Anonymousreply 246Last Saturday at 1:41 AM

Horse meat is still popular in France, and also in Belgium, Italy, Spain, Swiss, and in Germany as well. It's getting more and more difficult to find a boucherie chevaline, but we still get one at the market, twice a week. It has a very good level of iron compare to the beef, and you cook it exactly like beef. We also had a scandal in 2013 with frozen product with horse meat from Romania (they just had a law forbidding horse carriage in open road, therefore a huge number of horses became useless and were send all at once for the meat market) the problem was more about not knowing what you were eating, and not being able to track the origin and the animals (with their health background checks etc...).

Apparently in the USA the export of horse meat became illegal a few years ago, and a lot of horses ended up being abandoned. Do you really burry in a cemetery your horses? With all their meat on it?

by Anonymousreply 247Last Saturday at 2:03 AM

[quote]We used clothes lines when I was a kid and we lived in a rural area, but no one in the city does it and no one in the US calls them "wash lines;" it's always "clothes line."

Of course people in cities used clothes lines! That was many years ago, but it happened. The advent of dryers changed that and also the proliferation of public laundromats. Years ago, renters were actually allowed to have washers and dryers.

Here's some clothes lines from NYC.

by Anonymousreply 248Last Saturday at 2:13 AM

I have one:

SNL... What's the deal? Do people actually find it funny? If so what demographic?

by Anonymousreply 249Last Sunday at 5:38 PM

[quote]I think it's called the "world series" because of all the people who watch it from around the world, not whose playing.

Like who? The Japanese and some minor Asian countries? Baseball is not only the most boring sport in the world, after golf, it's also the least appealing, unlike football (the one we play with the feet) which in fact is a worldwide phenomenon everyone watches and yet only the World Cup dares call itself that way as it really involves countries from all over the planet.

Calling local baseball events World Series is just American Exceptionalism at its most delusional self.

by Anonymousreply 250Last Sunday at 6:08 PM

Just an observation, but Europeans are a far more diverse group than Americans. Our geography is diverse, but the people are more united by identity, even with all the division Trump has caused, than Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 251Last Sunday at 6:12 PM

All of the different European ethnic groups hate each other and always have.

by Anonymousreply 252Last Sunday at 6:31 PM

The extreme polarisation of US political parties and the hatred and fear partisans all seem to have for the opposing party.

by Anonymousreply 2539 hours ago

R249 I fucking 100% agree. I don’t get it at all. Its so so bad.

by Anonymousreply 2549 hours ago

Why is everything so "bloody ______" in England? Do you lack other adjectives?

by Anonymousreply 2559 hours ago

The U.S. is the most diverse country in existence. There is no ethnicity or corner of the world that does not have representatives here.

by Anonymousreply 2568 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!