Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where can you buy regular thermometers?

All I see are these newfangled electronic ones. I miss the normal kind, but the drug store doesn’t carry them because of some bizarre “safety” issue. Can people no longer handle glass without breaking it?

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 10:44 PM

You can find 2nd hand and NOS (new old stock) on eBay. Search fever thermometer.

by Anonymousreply 1April 12, 2019 8:29 AM

Oral or anal?

by Anonymousreply 2April 12, 2019 8:32 AM

Darling, if you want to stick a thin glass tube in one of your orifices, why not try a swizzle stick?

These festive beauties should be used year round, and not just through the Holiday season.

Impress your friend (or friends, I don't judge) with a little whistling while you insert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 12, 2019 8:40 AM

The glass ones break so easily. Just shaking one to get the mercury back down into the bulb was enough to send the bulb part flying off so I still haven't found it. And now there's a tiny amount of liquid metal somewhere in my house. It's only extremely toxic. So that's nice. Find plastic if you can, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4April 12, 2019 8:41 AM

What nonsense! I’ve never had one break, although as a child, we kids would break them deliberately and play with the mercury. You could roll it around between your fingers.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2019 8:56 PM

The digital ones are good.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2019 9:10 PM

r5 It's absorbed through your pores and it causes all sorts of damage to your entire body even in small amounts.

[quote]And now there's a tiny amount of liquid metal somewhere in my house.

Doubt it as it evaporates pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2019 9:16 PM

R5 I bet you were the top scholar in your class.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2019 9:17 PM

All the classic chemistry sets came with mercury and asbestos. Unless you licked the metal or chewed the fabric it didn't hurt anyone.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Just say it, OP – – "I want the kind with thermometer you can insert up your butt!"

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2019 9:26 PM

We broke the glass ones to empty the mercury onto our boiling hot Creepy Crawlies plastic for a sci-fi effect.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2019 9:28 PM

Loved making creepy crawlers!

by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2019 9:31 PM

I had a chemistry teacher at school who went around the class pouring each child a fair sized blob of mercury to play with.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2019 9:34 PM

I don’t know what you mean about “normal kind” but I’ll try to answer, because I just bought a hybrid at CVS. It has an old fashioned kind of piece for the mouth, and an electronic answering score board, whatever. (As opposed to the kind that rubs your forehead and magically has an instant electronic result, used in doctor’s offices.)

It is well into the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2019 9:41 PM

It's possible you live in one of the 20 states that have banned their sale, but if you can't find one you want on eBay, then look at medical supply type places.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2019 9:55 PM

This brings me back to playing doctor. Yes, rectal thermometers were used.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote]it causes all sorts of damage to your entire body even in small amounts.

It didn’t do me any harm.

by Anonymousreply 17April 15, 2019 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!