Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jordan Peele is this generation’s Rod Sterling, for sure

For sure, for sure, from the mind of Jordan Peele comes a successful revival that no one else could have pulled off. The Twilight Zone is hitting your screen for the fourth time (the most recent attempt to revive the popular series was in 2002), and the CBS All Access adaptation tackles the weird, wild, and impossible from the perspectives of people who were cloaked in allegory by the original show. In the first few episodes, The Twilight Zone tackles police brutality and what happens when people of color assimilate whiteness. If those are any indication, the rest of the empathetic mini-movies will be well worth your time. Step — if you dare — into the Twilight Zone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2020 2:51 AM

I haven't watch the first two episodes yet, 'tho I'm interested. Have you seen them?

by Anonymousreply 1April 5, 2019 2:24 AM

We already have “Black Mirror”

by Anonymousreply 2April 5, 2019 4:47 AM

Serling

by Anonymousreply 3April 5, 2019 5:14 AM

Bwaahahahahaa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 5, 2019 8:25 AM

Politicized garbage belongs in the pyre...more fun, more sex please.

by Anonymousreply 5April 5, 2019 8:28 AM

o plz mary, she aint good enuf to kiss the velvet shoe of mister sterling (serling??)

peele is a fly by nite horror buff

by Anonymousreply 6April 5, 2019 9:54 AM

The article at OP makes the new show sound like its themes will be overtly SJW and political rather than “universal” and metaphorical like the original. That surprises me and does not sound compelling...

by Anonymousreply 7April 5, 2019 12:29 PM

I’ve actually seen the first two episodes and I think it’s quite good.

by Anonymousreply 8April 5, 2019 1:30 PM

The first episode was so slow, I couldn't finish it. This should be 40 minutes or less.

I'll give it another go soon.

by Anonymousreply 9April 5, 2019 1:44 PM

The innocence and fun of the original can't be duplicated in today's social climate.

by Anonymousreply 10April 5, 2019 1:50 PM

I haven't had many people talk about the new Twilight Zone. They should have either put it on Netflix or on regular TV. Nobody has CBS All Access.

by Anonymousreply 11April 5, 2019 1:56 PM

How much easier it is to navigate a course as a chosen representative of a repressed minority. And to repurpose white-created art as black art. You will be free from a certain rigor of criticism. Like to critique Peele might even be viewed as racist. I hate the SJW era. It is artless.

by Anonymousreply 12April 5, 2019 2:18 PM

Well, someone sounds triggered.

by Anonymousreply 13April 5, 2019 2:23 PM

That guy is awfully homely, kinda sloby looking. Rod Serling was Mad Men era swanky.

by Anonymousreply 14April 5, 2019 2:29 PM

Peeler is fat and gross.

by Anonymousreply 15April 5, 2019 2:32 PM

^^^Peele

by Anonymousreply 16April 5, 2019 2:33 PM

Black Mirror is excellent, as the Brits are unflinching.....I mean pig fucking in the pilot episode- you're not going to see anything remotely similar in The Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 17April 5, 2019 2:50 PM

This is the 3rd attempt to bring back The Twilight Zone. I think they should probably just leave it alone. You just can't replicate the original show. It came at exactly the right time and is still loved and watched today. There is a reason the SyFy Channel still has marathons of it every year. It is, and always will be, legendary.

by Anonymousreply 18April 5, 2019 3:11 PM

It was meh. Done well but crappy endings. As said upthread, we already have Black Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 19April 5, 2019 3:14 PM

And Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams on Amazon, which itself feels like a Black Mirror ripoff, even though the source material predates it.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2019 3:38 PM

I’d rather Peele be funny again.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2019 3:48 PM

Dickheads CBS put this on their paid streaming service I’m not paying for that anywhere else I can watch this?

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2019 3:52 PM

^^ Kodi or any Torrent site.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2019 4:15 PM

The poster with his nose up Jordan Peele's ass cheeks all the time should be spayed and neutered.

You need to wait until Peele has 100 episodes at least and 3 dozen movie hits, and be as important to white people as blacks, before you go around calling him "Rod Sterling" or "Alfred Hitchcock."

ENOUGH. Are you his agent or something? His paid publicist? If not, you are truly and pathetically wasting your time.

Let's just be grateful that Jordan Peele is no longer making "comedy" or describing himself as a "comedian," because his Comedy Central show was miserably unfunny, like horror shows where he belongs.

P.S. I DON'T BUY JORDAN PEELE'S HETEROSEXUAL ACT FOR A SECOND!

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2019 4:57 PM

Key and Peele was hilarious, and often subtly erudite. It showed the great love of cinema and pop culture those two had. I liked, "Get Out" and am waiting to see, "Us", but have no interest in paying to see, "Twilight Zone".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2019 8:45 PM

she is this generations b grade movie maker yes fer shure

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2019 3:37 AM

Ed Wood meets Spike Lee by way of M.Night Shamylon

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2019 3:41 AM

his humor on tv was so amateurish, and rude

by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2019 3:56 AM

HIs movies are so terribly ethnic huh?

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2019 4:05 AM

If Peele were white he would be seen for what he is - A competent B horror movie director. But instead he's the new Hitchcock. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2019 5:05 AM

Is anyone shocked that Us didn't do as well as Get Out?

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2019 5:07 AM

Each of his successive movies will do worse.

word is out.

he is fake.

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2019 7:19 AM

how he has changed in interviews. now she is 'miss film auteur'....da bigga dey is, da bigger day falls?

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2019 11:23 AM

The new Twilight Zone is lacking.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2019 10:00 PM

He/it is this generation's ida lupino...

by Anonymousreply 35April 7, 2019 12:28 AM

She is this generations ….whoever directed that scientology movie with john fukin travolta

by Anonymousreply 36April 7, 2019 5:13 AM

The first episode was good. The second episode was pointless and made no sense and had a bad ending. I kept waiting for the gremlin to pop out.

by Anonymousreply 37April 9, 2019 11:58 AM

This generation's real Rod Serling has better things to do than copy the real Rod Serling.

This generation's real Alfred Hitchcock isn't trying to be Alfred Hitchcock either.

by Anonymousreply 38April 9, 2019 12:35 PM

The first episode felt so long and essentially held no surprises; it also had none of the darkly humorous undertones of the original series.

I don’t get the point of this reboot or why they would want to call it “The Twilight Zone”. It didn’t feel similar to the original at all.

And the Peele as Serling into and outro lacked the “gravitas” of either Serling or Hitchcock on their respective shows.

I went in hoping to like this too; I was open to it being good and did not want to feel like I wasted an hour...

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2019 3:51 PM

GET OUT was one of the most exciting and unique films I've seen in years. I still love it. US was really good I thought, but had many modern horror cliches in it (which GET OUT did not) but was still very interesting. I'm excited to see what film Peele does next!

I haven't seen this Twilight Zone re-re-re-reboot yet but will probably check it out. He seems like the perfect modern, buzz-y figurehead to be at the center of it, to give it a current edge. But it feels like yet another Twilight Zone remake is destined to basic and middle-of-the-road. (does Peele direct and create the episodes, or just host?)

Especially since the mind-blowing BLACK MIRROR came out years ago and blew everyone away and raised the bar on this kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2019 4:03 PM

This is why I have ZERO respect for black directors. They can't make a movie that isn't about race. Where are the black versions of Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg or Robert Zemeckis? Why can't a black director make a movie like E.T. or Edward Scissorhands, something that has nothing to do with blackness, whiteness or racism?

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2019 4:54 PM

Is he really being called the next Hitchcock? lmao! M. Night Shyamalan was called the next Spielberg after The Sixth Sense came out. He became arrogant, made some crappy movies and now, nobody cares about him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2019 5:17 PM

R12, the SJW era is artless because it is religious in nature. SJWs are infiltrators trying to destroy true liberalism.

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2019 5:37 PM

[Quote] He became arrogant, made some crappy movies and now, nobody cares about him anymore.

Did you miss his comeback with The Visit?

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2019 5:52 PM

Get Out was an accidental success. There was nothing original or great about it. A narrative formed around it that made it talked about So much of it was ridiculous. The blind doctor and the hypnotizing tea was absurd and laughable. An experiment turned viable by dumb people.

by Anonymousreply 45April 15, 2019 2:14 AM

R45 by dumb guilt ridden people. It was a stupid ass movie. If you liked it so much you read too much into it to the filmmakers advantage.

by Anonymousreply 46April 15, 2019 3:21 AM

Peele is a pretty good B horror movie director. That's it. If he were white there would be no trying to make him something he's not.

by Anonymousreply 47April 15, 2019 3:43 AM

US was boring as a horror film and not really arful in the slightest, maybe there was something I missed but I though it looked awful. Give me an aesthete over this man anyday. He makes preachy, B-movies that are trying too hard to appeal to a sense of guilt that americans have (Get Out regarding race and US regarding social class).

by Anonymousreply 48April 16, 2019 11:52 AM

im astonished at the polish the masses are putting on his rosey cheeks.

I find him tiresome and compared to the fab rod serling, weak. at best.

get real sportsfans, don't drink da kools aid.

by Anonymousreply 49April 16, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote]The Twilight Zone tackles police brutality and what happens when people of color assimilate whiteness.

Sounds exhausting. More scolding. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 50April 16, 2019 1:20 PM

She has an M Samahang Pilipino vibe

by Anonymousreply 51April 16, 2019 2:15 PM

It's hard to pull off Twilight Zone-style irony to an audience who accept Hillary Clinton's assertion that the message of the novel 1984 is that we are supposed to trust the government.

by Anonymousreply 52April 16, 2019 2:24 PM

The first two episodes absolutely stunk. Peele’s imitation of Serling is cringeworthy, to say the least. Peele is hugely overrated. I wonder why. Get Out was abysmal yet it got rave reviews. One cannot help but see “lower expectations” are at work.

by Anonymousreply 53April 16, 2019 2:27 PM

Agree r53. If Peele were white, he would be seen as a decent horror film director, but that's it. Not as the new genius that he's being portrayed as.

by Anonymousreply 54April 16, 2019 2:32 PM

The new Twilight Zone is DREADFUL. I gave up on season 1 but I thought Season 2 might be better but it was just as bad. It has none of the brilliance of the original.

by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2020 2:19 AM

Tedious tripe. PASS!

by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2020 2:41 AM

R55 That's too bad. I generally enjoy Peles work but was deeply dissapointed in the 1st season. I had been thinking of giving season Two a chance .

by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2020 2:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!