Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just downloaded ublock origin

It blocks all ads from your browser. So nice to have NO fucking ads.

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 4:15 AM

Yes, Ublock is awesome

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2019 10:15 PM

Time for Youtube to build that paywall.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2019 10:16 PM

Thanks for the tip -- just downloaded.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2019 10:40 PM

Get the Brave browser on your phone and don't worry about ads or trackers again.

I also use duckduckgo or startpage instead of Google.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2019 10:47 PM

I have AdBlock (not AdBlock Plus) -- should I replace it with uBlock Origin for some reason? Why? I don't see the 2 compared on Wikipedia -- haven't looked on CNet because the info there tends to be too technical for me to follow.

My primary browser is Chrome, though I do use Internet Explorer for one site that doesn't work well on Chrome -- it looks like neither AdBlock nor uBlock works on IE.

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2019 11:40 PM

r5 Yes, uBlock uses less memory and is considered the better alternative.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2019 11:46 PM

R5 if I remember correctly there was some controversy about Ad block allowing ads for companies that had paid them a fee, so it wasn't in the best interest of the users.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2019 3:00 PM

Don't laugh, but I'd feel ungrateful to leave Adblock after it's helped me for years without charging -- they ask for donations at their website, but those are voluntary (and I've never made one). I'm a wimp.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2019 3:20 PM

I've used uBlock Origin for quite some time and wouldn't use anything else at this point. Two other add-ons I like are Hoxx VPN which helps block your IP location by connecting to other locations around the world (it also helps you view content when its geolocked) and WebRTC Leak Shield which prevents malicious outsiders from seeing your IP address.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2019 3:28 PM

You're a thief. It's like watching PBS without donating.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2019 3:29 PM

After reading this thread yesterday, I downloaded uBlock for free and most ads have now disappeared. Everything works as before and pages seem to load faster. Thanks for mentioning uBlock!

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2019 4:29 PM

I do that too, R10! And I also listen to NPR on the car radio (though not as often as I did when "Car Talk" was still on). In my defense, before I retired, I did donate money to lots of Good Causes -- but then I got sick and now I have to live frugally, so I only donate time to volunteer work. Am I going to Hell?

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2019 6:32 PM

You know what else I do, R10? I borrow books from the library for free instead of buying them! No wonder my neighborhood's independent bookstore went out of business.

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2019 9:29 PM

You girls are late as hell on this, but better late than never I spose.

by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2019 9:31 PM

If you use Ublock make sure you are using Ublock ORIGIN, not Ublock. They are not the same thing

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2019 7:49 PM

OP is obviously on Windows 10.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2019 8:27 PM

What R15 wrote. Saw a few people online complaining about UBlock, saying it was really not good and also not updating.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2019 1:11 AM

It looks like Ublock Origin is available as an extension on Chrome (which is my primary browser) and also from the Microsoft Store. Is one method of getting it better than the other for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 11:04 PM

Anyway to block ads on streaming devices like Roku? I can't stand the goddamn ads on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 11:07 PM

r18, the one through the Microsoft store would wind up on Microsoft edge browser i am pretty sure. tge one offered through chrome extensions is specific to chrome and the way to download it for Chrome.

r19, no, there isn't (i am assuming that you mean the ones for unpaid /lower tier paid aps like hulu, roku channel, tubi etc).

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 11:13 PM

R20 I meant like if you're streaming Youtube on your TV and you're hit with those ads. Apparently there is a way to block all ads from coming through your internet service but it requires setting some kind of filter up on your modem with a one of those raspberry pi's.

I was just wondering if there was some easier way to do it.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 11:18 PM

Thanks, R18. I'll download the Chrome extension.

by Anonymousreply 22November 20, 2019 2:08 AM

Another fan of Brave and Duck Duck Go. When I had Ublock on my phone, it was slow and buggy, ads still popped up, and sites crashed frequently, but I have none of those problems with Brave. I keep Duck Duck Go mostly for its darkscreen mode.

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2019 2:42 AM

I’m amazed that people still use devices other than phones for internet browsing tbh.

by Anonymousreply 24November 20, 2019 3:09 AM

Maybe stupid question - but is this for a PC? I assume you don’t need it for an IPad?

by Anonymousreply 25November 20, 2019 4:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!