Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rennes, France

Have any DLers ever lived in Rennes, France or the surrounding Brittany areas? What is it like to live there? Do most people speak some English? It seems like a nice city and very affordable.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 7:19 PM

No, never even heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2019 11:53 PM

You want to settle in France in a town you've never even been to?

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2019 11:55 PM

Maybe he's looking for places to check out. I've done the same here.

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2019 12:12 AM

In Rennes all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2019 12:24 AM

It’s the “I want to move to ——- but I’ve never been there” Troll.

Just picks towns at random. There was a south of France thread recently, so I guess that’s what set him off on the track for France.

by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2019 5:02 AM

R3 is correct. I am looking for places to check out. I thought perhaps DL would have some first-hand knowledge about Rennes.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2019 3:14 AM

My husband was born and grew up in Rennes. We go visit once a year to see his parents. I'd say Rennes is just nice, but boring. Nothing really happens there. The weather sucks, because it's Brittany (it rains a lot). Food is great (but then again, it's France... So all food is great in all regions). But I found that there's not much to do or see. The rest of Brittany can be nice, but for me south France (Bordeaux and below, or Cote d'Azur) is so much better.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2019 4:25 AM

Thank you, R7. Are there other parts of Brittany that you think are nicer than Rennes? Do you know much about Brest or Nantes?

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2019 4:40 AM

Well it depends on what you like. If you're going to be in Brittany, why not aim for the coast and get a house by the sea. For instance St Malo is pretty, but really only has a life in Summer. I know many who like Brest, but I've never been. I don't know much about Nantes. Brittany is full of history, it's just south or Normandy, and is, I believe, the birthplace of crepes. Yeah I tend to over index on food 😋

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2019 4:51 AM

If you're seeking fellow Anglophones, the British expats seem to congregate around the coastal communities of Saint Malo, Roscoff, Morlaix, where ferry services to and fro Portsmouth and Plymouth are pretty frequent. But I think the department of Morbihan is where most of the Brits in Brittany reside.

I think the Dordogne down in Nouvelle-Aquitaine is still popular among the Brits, though.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2019 5:17 AM

I was there 25 years ago. I think it's the place with the ramparts.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2019 5:29 AM

How much French do you speak, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2019 6:09 AM

I spent only five days in Rennes several years ago and it was just as R7 said. It was pouring with rain all the time, while the rest of France was bathing in sunshine. Sunrise was after 8 AM in October IARC since the place is west from Greenwich. I liked it nevertheless, much more than Nantes. Visited St-Malo and Quimper from there. Le Mont-Saint-Michel is not far, though I went there from Caen. Buckwheat crepes in Rennes is a must.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2019 7:28 AM

Maybe you don't know about it but there are strong links between Rennes and the USA. The US embassy has an instituteurs there (link below). You could ask them about the everyday life there. Rennes is linked with Rochester in the US. The Bretons are stubborn, open minded and talented in music. They speak a very pure French. I think Nantes is far more expensive than Rennes because it's home of a lot of executives from Paris who have been relocated here since the Tgv. Butter is a basis in their cooking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2019 9:09 AM

⏫institut. (******autocorrect !!!!!)

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2019 9:14 AM

I have spent a lot of time in Brittany in the summer and always visit Rennes. It is a lovely city with the most beautiful park in France. It was recently voted the most livable city in France. It is quite affordable. The climate is a big drawback, it rains a lot outside of the summer months. Brittany has the most places chosen as the most beautiful villages in France, and deservedly so. The beaches are wonderful. I don't think people speak much English apart from some tourist areas like St Malo and Dinan, but the people are very friendly.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2019 9:35 AM

On the other hand, I do not like the Cote d'Azur at all. You can see a very seedy underbelly without looking too hard. The beaches are all rocky except for where they have shipped in sand. You need to rent (expensively) loungers that are all jammed together. Everything costs a fortune. Traffic is horrendous even out of season. Lots of creepy people sitting around, homeless, etc. Nice is actually very nice, but some dodgy aspects you want to stay away from. I did not love the Languedoc much, but it's better than the Cote d'Azur. For a beach holiday, in France Brittany and Biarritz cannot be beat. I have spent a lot of time in France, know whereof I speak.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2019 9:48 AM

[quote]Food is great (but then again, it's France... So all food is great in all regions).

It's no longer 1987.

You can no longer say this and expect this of food in general in France.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2019 10:01 AM

If I were OP I'd look somewhere like Evian.

So lovely and easy access to Geneva and Switzerland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2019 10:04 AM

Gurl, why choose such a mundane photo of Evian? I hear you ask.

I don't know. There's just something so typically French about that photo.

Here's a more postcard image.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2019 10:08 AM

[quote]I think the Dordogne down in Nouvelle-Aquitaine is still popular among the Brits, though.

I think you're right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2019 10:11 AM

Contrexeville is a happenin' place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2019 10:13 AM

Such a hassle to have to learn French later in life.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2019 10:16 AM

[quote]On the other hand, I do not like the Cote d'Azur at all. You can see a very seedy underbelly without looking too hard.

The thing to do is to live in the hills above the big cities - where the air is fresh.

I like the Cote d'Azur because you get real long hot summers. I'm from London and I'm sick of half-assed summers. Give me real heat, warm seas and palm trees. Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2019 10:20 AM

It's not 1987, R18, but it's really easy to find great, affordable, food in France. Yes they have McDonald's, but go to any average patisserie or boulangerie, try out what they have. On average, I've found that people care about what what they eat, both dish and ingredients. In Europe, I'd say Italy is the other country where food is truly great to me.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2019 2:36 AM

One surprising and charming thing about France is that you can go to a tiny remote village and in the window of the local patisserie you may see really complicated, sophisticated pastries, beautifully displayed. That is because the owner has had the same training in the same polytech as his counterparts in Paris. It takes three years to become a chocolatier.

The French take such pride in their work even if it is quite humble. I was in an open market with a female friend and she was looking at inexpensive brassières. The stallholder handed her the correct size without her telling him. When she expressed surprise, he said, 'A chacon son métier' - loosely translated as 'Everyone knows his own business'.

The mechanics who have worked on my car have been very dedicated, often do not charge me for all the time they spend, and appreciate my gratitude.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2019 6:52 AM

I took the train from Paris to Rennes where I rented a car to drive up to the coast. It was a perfectly fine city to rent a car in.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2019 7:38 AM

Rennes is hosting some Women's World Cup soccer matches.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2019 6:28 PM

Dreams come true in Rennes.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2019 6:46 PM

My dream village is Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges. Peaceful, picturesque and historic, but not too far from Toulouse.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!