Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Act on Hulu

Patricia Arquette is unrecognizable. Based on the incredibly creepy true story. Anyone watching?

by Anonymousreply 225July 9, 2019 3:05 AM

Oops forgot the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 20, 2019 4:52 PM

Looks and sounds a bit too intense for me, OP. Is it about Munchausen by proxy?

by Anonymousreply 2March 20, 2019 4:57 PM

Yes, you should Google it and read the story. One of the craziest Munchausen stories ever.

by Anonymousreply 3March 20, 2019 4:58 PM

I haven’t watched, but plan to. I’m still fascinated by that case.

DeeDee Blancharde got what was coming to her.

by Anonymousreply 4March 20, 2019 5:00 PM

If she'sh doing "The Act," doesh she shing "Shitty Lightsh"?

Shitty Lightsh... thoshe wonderful shitty lightsh...

by Anonymousreply 5March 20, 2019 5:01 PM

I'm excited. This story has fascinated me since I first heard about it and Arquette looks so unrecognizable that she seems like she'll easily get an Emmy nom.

by Anonymousreply 6March 20, 2019 5:13 PM

I was thinking that too R6.

by Anonymousreply 7March 20, 2019 5:20 PM

Liked the first two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 8March 20, 2019 5:59 PM

Doesh the Arquette girl shing “Arthur In The Afternoon” with a colored fella like I ushed to? Wash he Schpanish or mulatto? I can’t quite remember. Anyway, I wish her luck. It’s a helluva show! They’ll love it!

by Anonymousreply 9March 20, 2019 6:22 PM

Shing out, Patricha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 20, 2019 6:54 PM

Shunschweet prune!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 20, 2019 7:45 PM

I'm watching the first episode right now.

The Act is going to be an anthology true crime series. I think the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos story would work for a season.

by Anonymousreply 12March 20, 2019 9:10 PM

The white trash roles were all well cast.

by Anonymousreply 13March 20, 2019 9:15 PM

Patricia Arquette is already predicted to get an Emmy nomination for the Showtime mini-series Escape at Dannemora.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2019 9:26 PM

The voice and accent Patricia uses on this show reminds me of someone else. But, I can't pinpoint who it is.

by Anonymousreply 15March 21, 2019 2:49 AM

Watch "mommy dead and dearest", HBO doc about them.

by Anonymousreply 16March 21, 2019 3:20 AM

R15, Piper Laurie in Carrie?

by Anonymousreply 17March 21, 2019 6:15 AM

I’ve never gotten the hype around Patricia Arquette. She’s okay in this, but her acting is still very amateurish for someone so highly acclaimed. I honestly think she won the Oscar for Boyhood because she showed herself getting fat on camera and that wowed superficial Hollywood voters.

by Anonymousreply 18March 21, 2019 6:16 AM

[quote] I’ve never gotten the hype around Patricia Arquette.

Quite big tits.

by Anonymousreply 19March 21, 2019 6:20 AM

What in the world is the Liza loon babbling on about?

by Anonymousreply 20March 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Actually, this looks incredible. And horrible!

by Anonymousreply 21March 21, 2019 4:57 PM

Joey King is incredibly good as Munchausen by proxy victim Gypsy Rose Blanchard.

So far I'm loving this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Wish they’d release all the episodes at once.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2019 3:56 AM

And now I want to write "sleepy Baby" on all the prescriptions in my medicine cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2019 4:06 AM

This is horrifying. I was hoping they'd skip over the teeth pulling.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2019 8:31 AM

Guess she’s doing okay with no salivary glands, except for the teeth?

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2019 8:34 AM

r26 isn't she in prison? If I was in prison, I think saliva would be low on my list of problems.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2019 8:37 AM

Dry mouth is no picnic.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2019 8:40 AM

[quote] Dry mouth is no picnic.

That's what they should have named the series.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2019 8:50 AM

Gold Derby experts and editors are predicting Arquette will get a nomination in supporting actress in limited series/movie category for The Act. She is predicted to get nomination for lead actress in limited series/movie for Escape at Dannemora. I think she'll get nominated for both mini-series shows, but she'll lose in both categories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2019 1:40 PM

Arquette's accent is weak in this. I thought her work in Dannemora was way more solid. The actress playing Gypsy is wonderful, as is the supporting cast so far.

But this thing is seriously way more disturbing than any genre horror movie. That it's a true story makes all the body horror and psychological torture almost unbearable. I was mad at myself for watching it late at night so it would still be rattling around in my head as I tried to fall asleep.

I remember seeing some true crime thing about their story, several years ago. The details of their lives leading up to The Act were unfurled and laid out really well and there was a very disturbing interview with Gypsy and footage of her 'bonding' with her father during 'quality time' in a court room. But what stood out most to me was that Dee Dee's father said he was forced to take her cremains and when he got home he flushed them down the toilet. And he and his wife laughed about it in their talking head interview.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2019 4:50 PM

The performances are great, but the trend of turning a true crime into a multipart series shouldn't apply here.

Most of us know how this well-publicized story ends, and if you didn't, the murder in the opening scene gives it away.

Unlike "The Staircase," with its myriad legal twists and turns, which was a true whodunit, this case is too straightforward and the killer too obvious to warrant an entire season. The viewer is left simply having to live with the insane mother and daughter, and that's not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2019 5:01 PM

I like it.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2019 9:55 AM

Patricia is predicted to WIN the Emmy (by me) for The Escape miniseries. So far she has won every award she has been nominated for including the SAG beating Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson. Anyone one who thinks the Emmy/Oscar winner is bad is .... how do I put this delicately ? Is probably a Trump voter. You must have brain damage if you saw the Showtime series and still think that.

Since The Act has 6 episodes they could put in the the regular Best Drama Emmy category like True Detective did the first season.

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2019 10:13 AM

I've been traveling and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, although I'll check out the first episode eventually. I'm just not sure if this story needed a dramatic presentation. The longform Buzzfeed article and Mommy Dead and Dearest really told you most of what you need to know.

I also felt MDaD was way too pro-Gypsy, and I'm sure this will be more of the same. Like, I intellectually get why she did it, and in a certain sense, I guess I can see how she thought this was her only way of escaping. But I also saw her being fairly manipulative--there's one scene in MDaD where she appears to sob when she's talking about the actual murder, but there are no tears in her eyes. She also had the habit of turning the baby voice up to 11 when she wanted extra sympathy. There's no way she wasn't a lot more involved than everyone wants to think. I don't think she deserved the death penalty (I don't think anyone does), and I don't really think she deserves life in prison, but I still feel like she should have gotten a longer sentence.

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2019 10:38 AM

Cunts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2019 10:46 AM

R35 I agree with you on Gypsy. I understand how she became what she is but many of her ardent supporters portray her as essentially what her mother presented her as :a helpless disabled little girl with the mind of a child. Gypsy is a victim but I think she is also incredibly cunning . The gist of Gypsys story, that she was callously abused by her sick mother, is accurate . But I think Gypsy is an unreliable narrator and has not told the entire truth. When she is released, I think authorities should keep a close eye on her, particularly around vulnerable people.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2019 10:59 AM

Why didn’t little Gypsy Rose simply say “Turn it off, Mother!”? It worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2019 11:08 AM

[quote]But I think Gypsy is an unreliable narrator and has not told the entire truth.

There are plenty of things that don't quite make sense in Gypsy's story. Dee Dee wouldn't let go of her hand in public because if Gypsy was starting to say too much about what her life really was, she would squeeze her hand to remind her not to go there. But somehow she went to the movies--without her wheelchair--and had an opportunity to sneak off and have sex in a bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2019 11:24 AM

R39 Yes, exactly. She was far more proactive and capable than many seem to realize. I think by the time she had reached young adulthood she was less a straightforward victim than a co dependent to her sicko mother. Which is not to say there weren't mitigating factors, however the dynamics were probably more complicated than they might appear. The line that Deedee supposedly told Gypsy before she went to bed, "Don't hurt me " is very telling. If true, it suggests that Deedee realized towards the end that she had created another sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2019 11:35 AM

The biggest mystery of all is how Dee Dee landed, even temporarily, someone as hot as Gypsy's father.

I mean, I know she trapped him by getting pregnant, but she managed to get him in the sack in the first pace.

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2019 11:48 AM

[quote]When she is released, I think authorities should keep a close eye on her, particularly around vulnerable people.

I agree. I do have sympathy for her because all those medical procedures and other things DeeDee did fucked her up. But, she really learned how to manipulate people quite well and I can see her continuing to play on people after she gets released.

I have noticed that many people don't really call her out on the manipulation of the boyfriend. Her story reminds me quite a bit of that case in the 80s or 90s where a young woman had her boyfriend kill her wealthy abusive mother and she avoided prison time. There was a TV movie about the case and Victoria Principal played the abusive mother and Henry Thomas played the girl's boyfriend. The names were changed around for the TV movie, but I can't think the real people's names. From what I recall in the real life case, the boyfriend's family and friends were pissed off at the legal system because the young woman got off scott free.

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2019 12:31 PM

There are pictures of DeeDee when she was young and skinny she was pretty somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 43March 23, 2019 12:47 PM

Lol the whole thing is gross. And Chloe as a white trash neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2019 12:50 PM

Chloe was well cast as the white trash neighbor. I loved the scene of her seeing them stealing from the jewelry rack at the mall. I also like the black neighbor who hangs out with Chloe's character. There are the perfect trashy neighborhood Greek chorus for this story.

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2019 1:07 PM

[quote]I loved the scene of her seeing them stealing from the jewelry rack at the mall.

That was literally the least believable scene in the show so far. So far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2019 1:13 PM

Did that happen in real life, R46?

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2019 1:25 PM

R47 The scene may have been made up for the show. But, DeeDee Blanchard had a history shoplifting and writing bad checks on her record.

by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2019 1:31 PM

Yeah, I think Gypsy is a sociopath too, sadly :( The violent act she planned all on her own basically and her *coldly* dumping of the mentally challenged bf she got to do it for her (and her talking about him sooo coldly in documentary interviews) creeps me out.

I hate that she was abused so much and the system *did* completely fail her (government, medical, family, etc.) but I did think that Gypsy was one of those people who “turned evil” as a result of long term abuse, rather than like a damaged PTSD victim that just needs help only.

It also bothered me that she doesn’t seem to be getting any therapy in prison.

Her entire life was bizarre and abusive almost from birth; it’s a disservice to both her and society to not be getting Gypsy *serious* mental/emotional and therapeutic help while she’s on the inside.

She seems both damaged *and* dangerous to me...

by Anonymousreply 49March 23, 2019 1:32 PM

This story outcome reminds me of some of the themes explored in that HBO limited series with Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson, “Sharp Objects”

*****MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW*****

Turns out the mother of the story has Munchausen by Proxy but was never found out because she’s extremely manipulative and very wealthy. She has 3 daughters that she poisons throughout their lives. The girls don’t know they’re being poisoned (at first).

One sister dies very young from the poisoning, one (Amy Adams) is traumatizes by it all, rebels against the mother, and ends up turning the violence on herself with cutting (self-harm) and alcoholism—though she does move away and become a reporter, but the youngest daughter, (who is a teenager) at some point realizes she is being poisoned by her mother and somehow her body adapts to the poison and she survives, but she takes out all the internal rage out on society and violently kills multiple girls (former “friends”) in her town that she has conflict with or becomes jealous of.

She lets her mom go to jail in the end for her murders and kills another girl in her new town after going to live with the other older sister (Amy Adams).

The youngest daughter basically became a murderous sociopath like the mother, but just expresses it all in the different way.

*******END OF SPOILERS********

I’m genuinely concerned that Gypsy is like the youngest daughter in that story at this point. Like the mother, but just in a different way. I don’t know if she can change or if she actually has empathy for others....

I *do* hope she is at least analyzed and treated by top psych doctors in some way.

by Anonymousreply 50March 23, 2019 1:49 PM

I read the story and have seen a doc. I really would NOT enjoy watching several hours more about this horrible story filled with cruelty and insanity and society just turning a blind ignorant eye to child abuse. Is there anything at all ENTERTAINING about the series' treatment of this shit storm?

by Anonymousreply 51March 23, 2019 1:49 PM

I wonder if Hulu (and HBO) paid Gypsy Rose for her story? Is she getting rich off of this?

by Anonymousreply 52March 23, 2019 2:07 PM

r31 you are talking about the HBO movie of it 'Mommy Dead and Dearest'

by Anonymousreply 53March 23, 2019 11:08 PM

How did Gypsy get online to meet men if DeeDee was closely monitoring her?

by Anonymousreply 54March 23, 2019 11:12 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what Liza has to do with this...

by Anonymousreply 55March 23, 2019 11:21 PM

R55

Here ya go, Georgia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 24, 2019 12:51 AM

Shucha a fantashtic idea to include Gypshy songs in thish too. Shounds jusht shenshational! You go, girlsh!

by Anonymousreply 57March 24, 2019 1:02 AM

Whenever she left or slept is when Gypsy used the computer.

Gypsy gave an Oscar worthy performance when she acts shocked her mother is dead after she had posted on the internet the bitch was dead.

by Anonymousreply 58March 24, 2019 1:24 AM

I meant to say in the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 59March 24, 2019 1:24 AM

R42 Yeah,often times a young woman with sociopathic traits will get a man to do her dirty work for her. I think people sometimes overlook female involvement in certain cases. I think Dede was a monster and Gypsy was a horny young psychopath. While the male libido is usually stronger I think people underestimate what young women will do if they are sexually hooked. Americans stereotype every teenage girl as chaste little angels , particularly if they have daughters themselves. There was a case in Virginia a couple years back where some neo Nazi freak killed his teenage girlfriends parents because they didn't want them dating. The parents became concerned when their daughter started spouting off lines like "the Jews were to blame for the Holocaust ". The official story was the young woman had no involvement but I still wonder if that was the truth. I'm not fully convinced the girlfriend had no knowledge. The girl and her two brothers survived in that case, I bet the brothers must hate the little skank.

by Anonymousreply 60March 24, 2019 2:29 AM

R54 I think she exaggerated how much her crazy mother was monitoring her. She had enough freedom to post BDSM pictures of herself and fuck men in movie theater bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 61March 24, 2019 5:51 AM

Gypsy got dat D!

by Anonymousreply 62March 24, 2019 6:44 AM

Are they only releasing 2 episodes a week ?

by Anonymousreply 63March 24, 2019 8:50 AM

R63 It's one episode per week after this.

by Anonymousreply 64March 24, 2019 12:20 PM

Which is usually Hulu's MO.

by Anonymousreply 65March 24, 2019 12:23 PM

Hulu dropped all eight episodes of PEN15 at once. What a cockblock!

by Anonymousreply 66March 24, 2019 12:36 PM

Lifetime released a movie based on this case a couple of months back. The names were changed and Marcia Gay Harden played the mother. It was an ok TV movie. But, The Act is already a lot better than the Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 67March 24, 2019 12:36 PM

Did they make this while getting permission/paying Gypsy? Because that makes me less likely to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 68March 24, 2019 12:43 PM

I mean, you name your daughter Gypsy Rose and we'll immediately know you're a self-absorbed, smothering, evil bitch just like Mama Rose Hovick.

by Anonymousreply 69March 24, 2019 11:27 PM

I saw most of the documentary and I think there is something wrong with Dedees parents as well. The laughter about flushing the remains down the toilet felt off. They seem like 3 generations of sociopaths. Gypsy is a sly woman, she probably picked up some of her psycho mothers tricks. I wouldn't turn my back on her.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2019 4:20 AM

OK, who the fuck did Marcia Gay Harden piss off? She nosedived from the shortlist & prestige pix & Oscar nominations to Hallmark movies shot on a tracphone. What happened there?

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2019 10:05 PM

I'm not loving Patricia as Dee Dee, but Joey King is phenomenal as Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2019 10:29 PM

The actor playing Wolverine was pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2019 10:31 PM

I wonder if Joey King went nuts having to do that voice.

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2019 11:33 PM

The guy who played the Hot Wolverine is dating that fug singer Sara Bareillis .

by Anonymousreply 75March 28, 2019 1:01 AM

Episode 3 is pathetic, bathetic, harrowing, campy, sad and hilarious all in one hour. And Joey King is indeed great.

by Anonymousreply 76March 28, 2019 1:03 AM

Wolverine ish in thish too?! I love Hugh Jackman! He musht be senshational in dear Gower’s role. Ya gotta shay, Patrisha better clear her mantle for the Tony! The role of a lifetime. Jusht schpectaxular. Go girl!

by Anonymousreply 77March 28, 2019 1:08 AM

I thought the guy who became Gypsy's boyfriend was closer to her in age?

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2019 1:28 AM

Gypsy had two "boyfriends" (that we know of). Before meeting the guy who killed Mama (close to her in age), she hooked up with some creepy 35 year old guy she met at a comic-con (as seen in ep 3). This was no torrid affair but once Gypsy was able to sneak out her house to visit the sad sack. Then Mama got wind of it and immediately put the kibosh on things.

Really enjoy this show. Joey King is great and it's well directed (great use of music too).

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2019 2:33 AM

R60 said :”Yeah,often times a young woman with sociopathic traits will get a man to do her dirty work for her. I think people sometimes overlook female involvement in certain cases.”

Like Chris Watts’s mistress.

Gypsy scares the shit out of me. Her ability to manipulate has been her survival skill. It’s pretty well-honed.

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2019 2:55 AM

Oh ffs frau at r80, Watt's mistress did not help him plan or slaughter his family. I know you think he's hot, though he's short and fattish, but he did it all by himself. And if given the choice I am sure Gypsy would have much preferred to grow up with a normal mom. Jesus, she did what she had to do to escape that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2019 3:12 AM

I didn't know that Joey King was such a great actress. Patricia is amazing too, although the real Dee Dee was a " great big fat person" and Arquette not so much.

by Anonymousreply 82March 31, 2019 4:46 PM

In the documentary visiting Gypsy in jail her father acts like he is scared of her.

by Anonymousreply 83March 31, 2019 6:57 PM

R83 He should be. She's a damaged abuse victim, but also very diabolical.

by Anonymousreply 84March 31, 2019 7:07 PM

r81 Totally agree.. it was an insane reaction in her insane world

by Anonymousreply 85March 31, 2019 7:14 PM

Gypsy isn't completely innocent, which is why she was found guilty and sent to prison.

Of course she was a victim of abuse and was raised to be manipulative but obviously the court found her not to be innocent of crime. It's almost unimaginable what she went through growing up but her mother's death wasn't some crime of passion.

by Anonymousreply 86March 31, 2019 7:16 PM

Which is such bullshit r86, that fucking preacher's wife who murdered him cause he made her wear wigs and hooker shoes got off completely.

by Anonymousreply 87March 31, 2019 7:35 PM

What are you talking about r87 ? Preacher’s Wife ? Who is this ‘him’ you are referring to ? This thread is about murdered DeeDee.

by Anonymousreply 88March 31, 2019 10:18 PM

Darling, the character’sh name is Michelle Craig. I should know shince they wrote the role for me!

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2019 10:58 PM

No shit r88, try reading for context. I'm saying it's bullshit Gypsy got prison time after being raised by a fucking pyscho when this bitch got no time and her biggest reason for killing her hubby is that he made her wear wigs and hooker shoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2019 1:31 AM

Joey will always be Ramona for me, want to see this but don't feel like paying for Hulu

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2019 4:52 AM

The second and third episodes are on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 92April 1, 2019 5:32 AM

Thanks r92

by Anonymousreply 93April 1, 2019 7:07 AM

[quote]Joey will always be Ramona for me, want to see this but don't feel like paying for Hulu'

If you have a Spotify premium account they are including Hulu in package deal for 9.99 a month. The offer ends in June.

by Anonymousreply 94April 2, 2019 2:30 PM

I think the Tall Hot Blonde murder case could be good subject matter for season 2. A Lifetime movie was made about that case several years ago and documentary was made before that. The case is sort of similar to Dee Dee and Gypsy in that a couple of people used each other and harmed family members as a result.

by Anonymousreply 95April 2, 2019 2:35 PM

I was surprised at how much Joey King looks like the real Gypsy. In the first scene of MDAD when they're at the child of the year ceremony, it was a really striking resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 96April 2, 2019 3:33 PM

Someone said the eps are on youtube too r94.

by Anonymousreply 97April 2, 2019 4:55 PM

Gypsy's family is threatening legal action against Hulu and the producers. The article mentions that a screenwriter is working with the Blanchards to develop a show about the case and the screenwriter is also in contact with the family of the guy who killed Dee Dee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 3, 2019 1:45 PM

I watched the HBO documentary and I want Gypsy’s daddy to fuck me hard, he is pretty hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 99April 3, 2019 11:17 PM

I don’t get the hate for Pat in this, she is great as usual.

by Anonymousreply 100April 3, 2019 11:31 PM

I’m a big fan of Patricia but I feel like her performance isn’t quite working.

by Anonymousreply 101April 5, 2019 10:53 AM

I think Pat is great in this. Has she always been good? I only know her work from BOYHOOD and ED WOOD.

by Anonymousreply 102April 5, 2019 12:18 PM

I thought Patricia gave a better performance in Escape at Dannemora. She won the SAG, Critic's Choice and Golden Globes for that part. I think she'll win the Emmy.

She's submitting in supporting actress for mini-series/movie for The Act. I think she'll lose to Patricia Clarkson in that category.

by Anonymousreply 103April 5, 2019 2:13 PM

Is Gypsy the lead ? If so she may give Patricia serious competition. I hope The Act will be in the regular Best Drama category. If Big Little Lies 2 is any point Amy Adams might not even be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 104April 5, 2019 4:35 PM

That's ridiculous. Arquette is 100% the lead in The Act

by Anonymousreply 105April 5, 2019 7:37 PM

8 episodes is probably considered too many to be limited.

I’m watching latest episode. Joey continues to amaze while Patricia who I always like doesn’t. She plays DeeDee as an over protective motherwhile she was in fact an evil monster. Her southern accent doesn’t work while King looks like Gypsy Patricia doesn’t. Did DeeDee at least comb her hair ?

by Anonymousreply 106April 6, 2019 1:11 AM

[quote]8 episodes is probably considered too many to be limited.

ACS: People vs OJ had 10 episodes and ACS: Versace had 9 episodes and both shows were placed in the limited series categories.

by Anonymousreply 107April 6, 2019 1:15 AM

[quote]Is Gypsy the lead ? If so she may give Patricia serious competition. I hope The Act will be in the regular Best Drama category. If Big Little Lies 2 is any point Amy Adams might not even be nominated.

Gold Derby is the site that has Patricia predicted in the supporting category for The Act. I guess that's what category she's planning to submit in. It's possible Joey King is submitting in lead. I think Patricia knows she has the lead actress nomination locked for Escape at Dannemora.

by Anonymousreply 108April 6, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]If Big Little Lies 2 is any point Amy Adams might not even be nominated.

When does does it premiere?

by Anonymousreply 109April 6, 2019 1:34 AM

I think Patricia is going to die soon. At least 2 episodes will be about Gypsy’s legal problems. I’m very curious how they will handle DeeDee’s murder. I think it is up to zproducers what category the show will be in.

Wow! Recent episode blew me away. Gypsy in bondage ! Gypsy masturbating ! The found laptop was right out of Mommie Dearest and was a turning point for. Now I love the show and can’t wait til the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 110April 6, 2019 1:37 AM

Big Little Lies new season ia on in June I wonder if it will be directly after GOT is over.

by Anonymousreply 111April 6, 2019 1:42 AM

BLL isn't eligible for the 2019 Emmys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 6, 2019 1:47 AM

BLL will have to wait for next year’s Emmys. May 31 is cut off date. Looks like Nicole’s wig is even worse.

by Anonymousreply 113April 6, 2019 1:49 AM

I have the feeling BLL season 2 will be a flop like True Detective season 2 was.

by Anonymousreply 114April 6, 2019 1:54 AM

Patricia is ok in this, but I do with there was someone more in the Piper Laurie vein playing the character. Someone who's a bit more intimidating and scary. I'm feeling more sad for Dede than anything else. She's clearly very misguided and a monster, but she's not truly threatening. I think this could use a little more threat.

Then again, I don't think we really have many actors like that anymore who aren't scared to go full on evil. Everyone always waxes on about how "no one is ever really evil. They're just misunderstood" and all that jazz.

by Anonymousreply 115April 6, 2019 5:07 AM

# of episodes doesn't matter for limited series, just that it doesn't continue into another season (unless you're BLL and you defraud the Academy).

Things like AHS and Fargo like to play fast and loose with the rules because they do totally different stories and new casts/characters so they think they're limited but they aren't.

by Anonymousreply 116April 6, 2019 5:10 AM

[quote]R15 The voice and accent Patricia uses on this show reminds me of someone else. But, I can't pinpoint who it is.

Her voice sounds exactly like Jessica Lange’s when she did STREETCAR...

by Anonymousreply 117April 6, 2019 11:39 AM

She actually sounds like the villain on the Simpsons spin-off show where Principal Skinner and Chief Wiggum teamed up to fight crime.

by Anonymousreply 118April 6, 2019 6:13 PM

R106 Joey is much cuter than Gypsy. But...that's Hollywood

by Anonymousreply 119April 6, 2019 6:52 PM

Gypsy saved a lot of money but her long wig looked very real and very expensive.

by Anonymousreply 120April 6, 2019 6:57 PM

Did DeeDee ever collect SSI for Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 121April 6, 2019 11:01 PM

You are missing the most important piece of information about this show; Who is playing Gypsy's dad?

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2019 12:34 AM

I couldn’t find a credit on IMDb I don’t remember him being on the show. Maybe he is planning his own version.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2019 1:03 AM

None of you bitches mentioned that Katherine from "Silence of the Lambs" played the mall lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2019 1:38 AM

R124, don't you make me hurt yer dog!

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2019 1:39 AM

Ha, every time I see her in anything I burst out 'She's an American girl'.

I was really hoping that the show would go into the background quite a bit. I am really interested in how it started, when she was a child (Gypsy).

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2019 1:49 AM

Is this worth seeing if you've seen the HBO documentary and know the full story? I mean, I obviously knew the OJ story, but The People Vs. OJ Simpson was still fascinating because of HOW they told the story. Just as OJ: Made In America was equally fascinating because that documentary series told the OJ story with a much deeper historical and societal context.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2019 1:58 AM

I think the documentary was better but the movie has little details like the feeding tube and what happens when Gypsy wants pizza. If HBO covered first boyfriend I forgot.

I loved the found laptop episode and I hope the rest will be more of the same. The background characters are better written than Gypsy and DeeDee.

Looks like ‘Katherine’ has lost weight and had some work done. I remember reading Michelle Pheiffer recommend her for the role. I love the scene after she is rescued she is clutching the poodle like they will never be separated.

by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2019 2:10 AM

My name is Precious r128!

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2019 2:57 AM

The last episode felt mostly like filler plus two important plot points.

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2019 11:27 PM

Gypsy, can you get me my sleepy baby pills? *kisses guinea pig*

by Anonymousreply 131April 11, 2019 12:43 AM

Not liking this week’s episode. Gypsy’s sex life is a little too sleazy and a drastic change in Patricia’s makeup and hair that makes her look like a harden 60 year old Little Orphan Annie. Good casting o. The boyfriend who truly looks like a killer.

by Anonymousreply 132April 11, 2019 12:37 PM

I find myself laughing at tonight’s episode still when DeeDee ties up Gypsy was kind of interesting. This makes me appreciate Faye in Mommie Dearest even more. The actor who plays the boyfriend is really good.

by Anonymousreply 133April 11, 2019 12:55 PM

Patricia Arquette must be the best actress on TV nowadays. She really is extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 134April 11, 2019 4:12 PM

This show has worn out its welcome. Arquette gets worse every week. If she's the best actress on TV, we're in a shit heap of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 135April 11, 2019 4:19 PM

I’m beginning to think it will not get any Emmy nominations.

by Anonymousreply 136April 11, 2019 4:34 PM

It's crazy that they are trying to shoehorn Arquette into supporting.

by Anonymousreply 137April 11, 2019 4:55 PM

Best Actress on television, you say? Well, that is about to change.

by Anonymousreply 138April 11, 2019 5:06 PM

If she doesn’t appear in couple of episodes supporting doesn’t seem so wrong. Last episode was terrible might only get Joey nominated.

by Anonymousreply 139April 11, 2019 11:32 PM

The mini-series that might edge The Act for Emmy nods is Chernobyl.

by Anonymousreply 140April 12, 2019 1:58 AM

AHS and Sinner will be in regular series category for some reason Why not The Act ?

by Anonymousreply 141April 12, 2019 2:40 AM

AHS has competed in limited series categories since it started.

by Anonymousreply 142April 12, 2019 4:36 AM

To me, this could benefit from a bit more sleaze or camp. It's all so tasteful and beige. Someone mentioned Faye Dunaway earlier. Could you imagine what she could have done with a role like Dede? Terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 143April 12, 2019 4:46 AM

[quote]R129 My name is Precious [R128]!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144April 12, 2019 5:47 AM

Dear, IMDb has reported next Emmys AHS will compete in the regular drama category.

by Anonymousreply 145April 12, 2019 7:10 AM

I suspect Patricia doesn’t have an evil bone in her body. To overcome miscasting this show needs great writing and direction.

by Anonymousreply 146April 12, 2019 7:12 AM

I think this might be the same reason why Julianne Moore came across as such a lightweight in that Carrie remake. There's this school of acting these days that says you have to make even the most awful villains semi-likable or at least relatable. I'm sorry, but I don't want my villains to be "understood." I want them to scare me. not depress me.

by Anonymousreply 147April 12, 2019 5:29 PM

Fay Dunaway, Piper Laurie , Precious ‘ mother and Sybil ‘s mother all brilliant performances. DeeDee had to be evil but Patricia plays her like she thought she best for her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 148April 13, 2019 3:05 AM

Patty Cakes ought to give back her Oscar for this piss poor performance.

by Anonymousreply 149April 13, 2019 3:07 AM

I think PA is always good so to me her Oscar winning performance wasn’t a big deal. They should have waited a while before they filmed The Act because her best work in Escape doesn’t compare to this show.

by Anonymousreply 150April 13, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]AHS and Sinner will be in regular series category for some reason Why not The Act ?

I'm guessing the reason The Act won't be in the regular series category is because Hulu is trying to make The Act into their version of American Crime Story with a true crime story every season. If The Act gets a second season, I wonder if Hulu will film it after the Elizabeth Holmes mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 151April 13, 2019 9:37 PM

[quote]I’m beginning to think it will not get any Emmy nominations.

I think Patricia will get a nomination in the supporting actress category. Hard to tell if Joey King would get nominated in the lead category. She's not too well known and several movie actresses who did limited series like Emma Stone, Michelle Williams, and Amy Adams will probably take up nomination spots. This article on indiewire has Joey listed as possible spoiler nominee in the lead category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152April 13, 2019 9:52 PM

Joey King is actually the one who's surprising me the most in this. She's pretty terrific. I'd just seen her in a few really bad teen horror movies, so I had no idea she could do this.

by Anonymousreply 153April 14, 2019 5:31 PM

I haven’t watched it all but I think the recent one is the best. Margo Martindale was great.

by Anonymousreply 154April 17, 2019 9:50 AM

So why did the mother who was on the surface religious and conservative name her daughter after a stripper?

by Anonymousreply 155April 17, 2019 8:38 PM

Gypsy Rose was a striptease and a first class one.

by Anonymousreply 156April 17, 2019 8:44 PM

Also weird how much Dede and Gypsy Rose's relationship mirrors Gypsy Rose Lee's relationship with her own mother who was incredibly overbearing, manipulative, and (if sources are to be believed) murderous. I'd like to see a good Hulu or Netflix series about that. Of course, it'd be nice to have an actual decent film version of the musical first, but...

by Anonymousreply 157April 17, 2019 9:23 PM

I’m just going to say it, the murdering boyfriend is hot!

by Anonymousreply 158April 18, 2019 4:05 AM

She's a great actress, but they were very generous to Gypsy by casting a cutie like Joey King

by Anonymousreply 159April 18, 2019 4:19 PM

Last episode wasn’t good. I’m losing interest will watch til end. Isn’t getting much interest here either.

by Anonymousreply 160April 18, 2019 8:52 PM

I know I keep saying this, but Arquette gets worse every fucking week. She's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 161April 19, 2019 2:45 AM

I’m watching it despite steady disappointment. Such a compelling story wasted.

by Anonymousreply 162April 19, 2019 3:00 AM

Kathy Bates circa Misery would have been perfect in the role of DeeDee

by Anonymousreply 163April 19, 2019 3:25 AM

The real Gyspy isn't ugly - the wonky eye there's things off though.

by Anonymousreply 164April 19, 2019 3:51 AM

All the Arquettes seem a bit mentally ill

by Anonymousreply 165April 19, 2019 4:33 AM

I do wish they'd cast someone other than Arquette as Dede. She seems too...sweet? I don't know. How was Marcia Gay Harden in the TV movie version that came out a little while back on Lifetime? She seems like she'd give Dede a little more bite.

by Anonymousreply 166April 19, 2019 7:50 PM

Arquette is great, you're out of your mind.

by Anonymousreply 167April 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Patricia plays warm wonderful mothers even the not very nice person she played so well in Escape was a concerned mother . Hell she won an Oscar for playing one. Her DeeDee is playied like she is doing what she thinks is best instead of the monster she probably was and doing it with a not convincing accent. Joey King is probably giving a star making performance but the storyline with the lovers on the run isn’t very interesting.

I wonder if this will be Patricia’s Norbit People Will think maybe she is not that good and hurt her Emmy chances for Escape.

by Anonymousreply 168April 19, 2019 9:10 PM

Dede Lynn was an abusive hole

by Anonymousreply 169April 23, 2019 6:45 AM

Juliette Lewis was great and I loved the obligatory scene of fraus leaving candles and teddy bears at the murder site.

by Anonymousreply 170April 24, 2019 3:36 PM

Should I be watching this? I love crime dramas, mysteries, horror, etc.

by Anonymousreply 171April 24, 2019 3:38 PM

The only horror is how fucking awful Arquette is.

by Anonymousreply 172April 24, 2019 4:13 PM

I'm really not buying Arquette in this role at all. She's too calm and sedate for someone like Dede. This needed a Misery-era Kathy Bates. It could have been a great, surprising role for someone like Melissa McCarthy. I'm not sure if she'd be capable of it, but she'd probably bring a bit more life to Dede.

by Anonymousreply 173April 24, 2019 8:54 PM

She was only in this episode for a few seconds. It was her best work on the show.

by Anonymousreply 174April 25, 2019 2:33 AM

Next week is the last episode? This week was just plain awful. Even Joey King, who has done excellent work thus far, was shrill and annoying and I could barely make it through the hour.

by Anonymousreply 175April 25, 2019 2:16 PM

I haven’t even watched it but it is not even close as being as good as ACS.

by Anonymousreply 176April 25, 2019 6:35 PM

It's been stretched out too long. There isn't enough material for eight episodes.

They could easily have ended it at five or six episodes and it'd have been a much more effective and tighter storyline. I mean, we just had half an episode of two people hiding in a wardrobe. We all already know what happens to them so there was no tension to it.

Another odd decision was calling this episode Bonnie & Clyde but last week's episode featured the song Bonnie & Clyde prominently when they were actually on the run (like Bonnie & Clyde).

by Anonymousreply 177April 25, 2019 6:52 PM

R173 Melissa McCarthy is more than capable of this. She was fantastic in the recent “Can you ever forgive me?” with Richard E. Grant. In fact, this is beneath her seeing her in that.

by Anonymousreply 178April 25, 2019 10:02 PM

The last episode shouldn't have existed. It was just boring filler from start to finish.

The actor who played the crazy bf did a great job. And he has a NOICE arse.

AnnaSophia Robb was the weakest of the bunch.

by Anonymousreply 179May 3, 2019 12:19 PM

Dee Dee & Gyp-seh Roooooose's joint Facebook account (the frau comments under the infamous last post are a hoot!):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 3, 2019 12:43 PM

r180 great find, reading now

by Anonymousreply 181May 3, 2019 1:00 PM

Guess that DeeDee & Gypsy Rose prayer FB group didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 182May 3, 2019 2:27 PM

I turned it off 15 minutes into the final episode. Dreck.

by Anonymousreply 183May 3, 2019 3:04 PM

It is a struggle to watch. It needed much better writers.

by Anonymousreply 184May 3, 2019 3:19 PM

Not liking Gypsy`s scene with father. She should be happy anyone is visiting her at prison.

by Anonymousreply 185May 3, 2019 3:39 PM

I do like the scene between Joey and Chloe ( who is good )

by Anonymousreply 186May 3, 2019 3:46 PM

Looks like they are going to show murder in last episode. I thought they were being classy to not show murder instead just the opposite. The Walk , Welcome To Mureen and now The Act all failed at making movies out of great documentaries. Is Welcome to my Neighborhood next ?

by Anonymousreply 187May 3, 2019 3:55 PM

Gypsy bought the killer the knife , opened the door and gave directions to her mother's bedroom. She is just as bad as the killer.

by Anonymousreply 188May 3, 2019 3:58 PM

Creepy killer actually is good.

by Anonymousreply 189May 3, 2019 4:07 PM

Lotta fat typers in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 190May 3, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote]So why did the mother who was on the surface religious and conservative name her daughter after a stripper?

She wasn't named after Gypsy Rose Lee. The mother liked the name "Gypsy" and the father liked Guns n Roses.

by Anonymousreply 191May 3, 2019 5:27 PM

So she could have been called Gypsy Guns!

by Anonymousreply 192May 3, 2019 6:43 PM

Lol R180 so much frau-ness. And naturally several comments of "grab your guns and check the house"

by Anonymousreply 193May 3, 2019 6:47 PM

I felt bad for the boyfriend getting life in jail, Gypsy learned how to manipulate from Mama. It took me a bit to realize that Nick was played by the same actor who played Dez in Austin and Ally on Disney Channel, used to watch that with my nieces.

by Anonymousreply 194May 4, 2019 12:04 AM

Just discovered this series. I really enjoyed it, some great performances. Joey King and Calum Worthy really killed it. I can see the first half was stronger the second half though.

The series took a much more sympathetic look on Nick than they needed to, in real life he suggested raping Dee Dee before killing her. It was interesting they left that detail out.

[Quote]I felt bad for the boyfriend getting life in jail

Nick went to trial instead of taking a plea deal, you get tougher sentences when you don't plea Mike the justice system wants.

by Anonymousreply 195May 12, 2019 3:03 AM

I guess it’s not even worth finishing? i gave up after the sex in the movie theatee bathroom episode. joey King’s acting is really overated , the baby talk got annoying.

by Anonymousreply 196May 12, 2019 3:09 AM

[Quote]joey King’s acting is really overated , the baby talk got annoying.

...that's how Gypsy Rose talked.

by Anonymousreply 197May 12, 2019 3:12 AM

She does it so well I thought really talked that way.

by Anonymousreply 198May 12, 2019 11:30 AM

Years ago, worked with Joey on a horror movie, and there was a scene where she sees something in a dark corner- when the take was finished, the whole crew had goosebumps. She's such a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 199May 12, 2019 2:49 PM

[quote]I’m just going to say it, the murdering boyfriend is hot!

Yeah, Calum has a cute ass.

[quote]There's this school of acting these days that says you have to make even the most awful villains semi-likable or at least relatable. I'm sorry, but I don't want my villains to be "understood." I want them to scare me. not depress me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't get this at all. Really you are expressing this same desire that the world should be some Disney movie. Even people who do monstrous things are still real people that are going to have something about them anyone can relate to, not black and white caricatures of a human being.

by Anonymousreply 200May 12, 2019 2:55 PM

Hulu has said they gained subscribers because of this show. It's likely a season 2 will happen and they are exploring other true crime stories for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 201May 12, 2019 9:17 PM

R191, here is a sign that the Illuminati are involved.

Tammy Blanchard played Gypsy Rose Lee in the Bette Midler "Gypsy," which is the story of an overbearing mother.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard killed her overbearing mother.

That cannot be just a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 202May 12, 2019 9:25 PM

Assuming Arquette and King get some awards nominations r201, that will bring even more attention to it.

by Anonymousreply 203May 12, 2019 9:33 PM

Interesting Arquette interview on Fresh Air. Absolutely no mention of Alexis though when talking about siblings, and like River Phoenix’s family they lived in a cult for some time, and not Scientology!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 12, 2019 10:54 PM

I remember reading Patricia was upset that Alexis wasn’t included in the Oscars deaths.

by Anonymousreply 205May 13, 2019 5:07 AM

I thought Joey King was amazing, but the usually fantastic Patricia Arquette...shrug

by Anonymousreply 206May 13, 2019 4:15 PM

Arquette did well, but I agree the stand out performance was King, not her.

by Anonymousreply 207May 13, 2019 4:22 PM

R202, Tammy Blanchard played Gypsy Rose Lee in Bernadette Peters’ GYPSY on Broadway. Cynthia Gibb played Gypsy in Bette Midler’s GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 208May 31, 2019 10:40 AM

I watched it recently; found Arquette to be okay in some scenes, but pretty single-note to be honest. Chloë Sevigny was also blah in it. Joey King was the clear standout here.

by Anonymousreply 209May 31, 2019 10:51 AM

I had no clue Calum Worthy (the murdering boyfriend) was a natural redhead. He's actually kind of hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210May 31, 2019 10:53 AM

R206 she was also blah this was blah overall terrible writing

by Anonymousreply 211May 31, 2019 11:29 AM

Joey King was excellent. Arquette was weirdly bland. This is the kind of role most actresses would kill for and she seemed to scared to let go and really be an intimidating presence. I felt like the character needed someone a little larger than life in the role. If it had been played more like the mom in the original Carrie, it would have been brilliant and terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 212May 31, 2019 5:20 PM

I’m a big Patricia Arquette fan but unlike Escape Escape her DeeDee wasn’t nailed. Maybe they were filmed too close together but the bad writing in The Act fails it. I thought she was a sure Emmy winner for Escape ( I still miss watching her Sunday night ) but suddenly she has tough completion with that cross dressing HBO show if considered limited and Emily Watson a much loved actress.

by Anonymousreply 213June 1, 2019 1:16 PM

Also Michelle Williams. I’m beginning to think there will be no more room for Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 214June 1, 2019 1:23 PM

I'm looking at the recent Gold Derby expert predictions and there are some weird ones in the miniseries categories like Connie Britton for Dirty John, Katherine Hahn for The Romanoffs, and Marisa Tomei for the live All in the Family reading. I thought Britton was average in Dirty John and Tomei was a bit annoying in that reading.

Joey King is starting to get on prediction lists for The Act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 1, 2019 1:34 PM

Yes Tomei is not worthy but wasn’t the show aired past the deadline ?

by Anonymousreply 216June 1, 2019 8:22 PM

It doesn't matter who is nominated in this category--Michelle Williams will win.

by Anonymousreply 217June 2, 2019 10:46 AM

Have you seen Escape ? I haven't seen ME in her limited series. Or are you a member of The Patrica Arquette is a horrible Oscar/ Emmy winning actress Club ?

by Anonymousreply 218June 4, 2019 6:09 PM

Michelle Williams will be winning the Emmy for Best Actress. The Academy has already decided.

by Anonymousreply 219June 4, 2019 6:32 PM

Hmm. Didn’t answer my question did you ?

by Anonymousreply 220June 4, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote]Yes Tomei is not worthy but wasn’t the show aired past the deadline ?

No it aired before the deadline. I doubt Tomei will be nominated and same with Connie Britton.

by Anonymousreply 221June 5, 2019 1:53 AM

Loved Arquette in Escape at Dannemora. She definitely toned it down for this role. But maybe DeeDee was low key, if she was full out crazy she wouldn't have gotten away with it that long.

by Anonymousreply 222June 5, 2019 2:14 AM

Chloe Sevigny was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 223June 18, 2019 1:33 PM

This was the best show of the year, for my money.

by Anonymousreply 224July 8, 2019 12:58 PM

[quote]r155 So why did the mother who was on the surface religious and conservative name her daughter after a stripper?

She probably liked the song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 9, 2019 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!