Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Studio 54 on Netflix

Just watched this documentary. I have questions. Does Ian Schrager have lung cancer? his voice is a hoarse whisper. Anyone met Steve Rubell? what was he like? He seemed desperate to kiss up yet also endearing. How did his brother morph into a super wealthy art collector? He came from a humble background. Did he just get lucky? Were Ian and Steve lovers? tell all!

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2020 5:27 AM

I have always thought Ian and Steve were lovers. Yes I am aware Ian is presented as straight but I don't buy it.

by Anonymousreply 1March 15, 2019 1:04 AM

When he said they bought that Hamptons house together I thought they were lovers but he was also married a few times (and during that period) so I was confused too.

by Anonymousreply 2March 15, 2019 1:34 AM

I have met both of them, and no I don't think they were ever lovers. They sure had a lot of money once they got out of prison, I know they had sold Studio 54 and the building, but once they got out of prison they pretty quickly opened the two hotels, The Royalton & Morgans and opened the big and impressive Palladium club.

by Anonymousreply 3March 15, 2019 1:55 AM

Very Good! I watched 2 Youtube documentaries also (Behind the Music and E Hollywood Story)! Fascinating - bummed because I missed it (little 7/8 yo kid in South Philly at the time). The Youtube documentary says Steve was in love with Ian, but Ian was straight - so nothing sexual happened, but they were best friends. Ian even said they were like a platonic married couple.

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2020 5:16 AM

Studio was the reason I fell in love with NYC. Unfortunately it was over by the time I moved there in the 90s. It reopened briefly as a club in 90s. It made no sense to me as a club - seemed to be all seating for a theater. They really didn’t change much. But maybe was spoiled by Roxy.

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2020 5:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!