Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beto O’Rourke Expresses Concern That Rural America ‘Can’t Go on Tinder’ and ‘Find that Special Person’

“In Texas we have problem with broadband in rural communities,” he said. “You may have that in Iowa as well, where farmers and ranchers and producers literally cannot get online. Where people can not start businesses in their hometown or finish their education after high school because they can’t get on online.”

“They can’t go to Tinder and find a date tonight to find that special person who’s going to make the difference in their lives,” he continued. “I want to make sure every American has that opportunity.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 8:54 PM

I was too fixated on his "spazz hands" (and donald you'd best attribute me) to listen to his message this morning.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 4:24 PM

There, ladies and gentlemen, is a man with a plan.

Not necessarily one that will get him elected, but a plan nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 4:26 PM

Definitely need rural broadband. Get them integrated idea-wise.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 4:27 PM

Ugh! Hyperbolic and cartoonish. Pete gives me the calm and "love language"(as someone mentions in another thread) that I can listen to. I will NOT spend the upcoming election cycle listening to SHRILL from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 4:31 PM

Hughesnet, Viasat...

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 4:34 PM

He should have mentioned Grindr. DL's professional victims are offended.

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 4:40 PM

R4. You are a gay man so of course you like Pete.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 4:49 PM

R7 not so ..his message is not about "gay" . His breadth of knowledge of all things political is actually quite astounding and his voice of reason is rarefied. Tryin glistening sometime

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 4:52 PM

What is this bullshit that rural Americans "can't get online"? I've heard it for years from Urbanites who haven't left Manhattan in 20 years. Some people will fall for anything.

Transient, nomad herders in the most isolated regions of third world countries get "online'" with phones. This sounds like some nonsense "cause" campaign started because someone could be making mad $$$$ for getting 5G up and running across The US but they need government subsidies to make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 5:27 PM

OMG. What a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 5:40 PM

This was a good strategy - get noticed with the second part of the quote so that the rural business part of the quote can be the substance.

I think he'll really do well when he starts his cross country town halls. All he'll need is a few viral quotes like the one he did about the national anthem and he's got it made.

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 5:44 PM

He's a bit over-animated when he speaks (almost ripe for SNL parody) and he needs to slow down a bit when speaking.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 5:46 PM

It was a JOKE LINE — following several very legitimate examples of rural Americans who can't make a better living because they can't get online.

JESUS CHRIST, YOU TROLLS — BEGONE!

Bernie Bros, go jack off to your fan fiction of Bernie and Jane banging. Russians, go finger yourselves to fake nudes of Jill Stein.

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 5:47 PM

Is there an emoji for cringe? Seriously, Beto.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 5:47 PM

I like him, but I swipe left when I see him online

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 5:49 PM

R8.I have no interest in listening to pete. I like beto.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 5:50 PM

He's cute but if he's going to make his rounds across The US with the sincere belief that Wyomingites don't know what The Internet is, he'll probably come across as a little patronizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 5:51 PM

Beto may turn out to be as bad as Joe Kennedy III.... a boy Wonder of pure hype.

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 5:55 PM

Meanwhile, in the real world: until last year, my mother in Texas was using satellite internet. It was the only option for her and was slow as fuck. Too slow to stream anything, in fact. She had Verizon cell coverage but it was spotty and the unlimited use package for data was (still is) outrageously expensive. She was on a plan that offered 2 GB and that was over $100/month. With a data cap, you cannot stream much of anything unless you want to be gouged for going over. Verizon finally built a tower in her part of the county this past year. She can now get reliable cell coverage but only through Verizon or one of the prepaid services that uses Verizon network. Again, this was just within the last few months, years after those in more urban areas had the same ability. Verizon is the ONLY service provider, too, and they charge a premium for their services. To use my T-mobile phone, I have to stand on her back porch and even then it is hit or miss. It's only been during the last few visits that I had a chance of getting service.

The point being that continuous high speed internet is still in its build-out phase and is NOT widely available. She only lives 5 miles outside of a town of 15,000 that does offer broadband via cable. The cable company just doesn't run service beyond the city limits. Building out those connections is something that the government should be doing, just like we invested heavily in rural electrification during the last century. People in rural areas understand this problem. He is wise to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 6:17 PM

R18: You posted this in the other thread. No one believes you. STOP NOW!

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 6:22 PM

An Idiocracy wont have an actual Prez Camacho, it will be this guy, born on third base and throwing out signed baseballs to the idiots in the stands who don't know that he's never even learned to play.

And yeah, he will run. He's taken more AIPAC money than anyone at his age and standing in history. Yeah I said it, Zionists of DL. Suck it.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 6:26 PM

Beta's dog is depressed and humiliated by this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 8:05 PM

Thanks, Beto! Looking forward to my second term!

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 8:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!