Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you know about West Palm Beach FL?

I think it would be a nice place to retire to? What do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2019 11:04 PM

West Palm Beach just has alot of retired New Yorkers. Who wants to live among their bitchiness?

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 4:09 PM

There are people who live there but mainly it's full of government offices, parking lots and large court complex. Not a particularly attractive residential destination.

by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 4:11 PM

Fort Lauderdale has potential but has too many trashy parts

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 4:16 PM

I liked this place when I visited, about 17 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 4:17 PM

Seems like so much of Florida has potential. But the people are a major turn off. I feel like it has the brashness of NY/NJ with the blandness of the South. There is no denying a certain trashiness - even in places with million dollar condos. The real estate is strangely expensive - especially given quality of construction, insurance costs and risk of hurricanes. I can never quite put my finger on it but it just seems like someplace I wouldn’t be happy.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 4:21 PM

Property seems very affordable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 4:21 PM

It's nice because it's an actual city of all different types. You can be poor and work in Palm Beach and live in West Palm Beach. It's also old so it didn't develop the new suburban way most FL cities did, that came after 1960.

West Palm Beach to Fort Myers forms the "frost line" meaning if you draw a line between those two cities it usually doesn't go below freezing.

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 4:22 PM

This place looks OK. Needs decoration. It has a pool!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 4:26 PM

[quote]It's nice because it's an actual city of all different types.

That's what I was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 4:27 PM

It's a bunch of old people

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 4:30 PM

I'd rent to start off. This place has a pool too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 4:30 PM

Don Burns land. Sean Cody boys galore.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 4:31 PM

[quote]It's a bunch of old people

I'm 56 in a few weeks. Before I know it, I'll be 70.

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 4:32 PM

[quote]Sean Cody boys galore.

Hawt!

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 4:32 PM

My Gparents live there and its beautiful. I live in NY-but I love to visit and would consider moving there after college.

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 4:45 PM

R15 lucky you to still have your grandparents. My grandma died this day in 1996 RIP. I still miss her.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 4:48 PM

R16, I am so sorry. That is really awful.

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 4:51 PM

Absolutely not! My sister and her family live there and hate it. It’s the rehab capital of the US abs there are hundreds of half-way houses everywhere, as a result a ton of drug addicts relapsing and causing all kinds of trouble. The downtown is depressing - no charm at all. There are some great old neighborhoods along the intercoastal looking across to the island of Palm Beach but just going to the grocery store or any shopping is a bad experience. Seriously look elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 4:57 PM

Curious how people would compare West Palm Beach to Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale. West Palm Beach seems cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 5:05 PM

I parked my car in the WPB court center then walked (yes, walked) the half mile to the social security office. This teenager on a bicycle stopped me to beg for money. I was rather alarmed but calmly said I had no change. He said, "What about a dollar bill?" There is begging in that area and also at I-95 exit ramps (WPB and elsewhere) which can be rather intimidating and unpleasant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 5:19 PM

"Palm Beach" is nice, very rich, and VERY expensive. "West" Palm Beach is poor and black, that's why it's so cheap.

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 5:20 PM

"black". Thanks, R21, please be sure to apply for our special membership.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 5:26 PM

Downtown West Palm Beach has a clean walkable downtown and a revitalized 'urban town center" called CityPlace with lots of shows, restaurants and street life. I could definitely retire there.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 5:27 PM

lots of cranky Jews

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2019 5:27 PM

[quote]I parked my car in the WPB court center then walked (yes, walked) the half mile to the social security office. This teenager on a bicycle stopped me to beg for money. I was rather alarmed but calmly said I had no change. He said, "What about a dollar bill?" There is begging in that area and also at I-95 exit ramps (WPB and elsewhere) which can be rather intimidating and unpleasant.

You'll get over it. Better than a lot of cities.

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2019 5:28 PM

The nightlife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2019 5:30 PM

"Palm Beach" has the Everglades Club. They have blacks there, but only on the outdoor staff. They also have Roman Catholics and Irish there but only on the staff (old Joe Kennedy was enough). No Jews, despite the rumour that the 'ban' is imaginary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2019 5:32 PM

The harbor is so small there. What will you do with your yacht?

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2019 5:49 PM

R28 There appears to be ample mooring [bitch].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2019 5:57 PM

Traffic, impossibly hot and humid summers, traffic, poor social possibilities for gay men, traffic...

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2019 6:35 PM

WPB is the fastest growing urban area in the country, FTL can be manageable , however it is as well overcrowded, traffic mess, and losers from everywhere who flock there. Drug addicts, alcoholics , murderers just to name a few are plentiful .

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2019 6:42 PM

Not really r16 like any other place the gays discover and gentrify and pretty up , like Wilton Manors everything becomes expensive, 15 years ago you could buy a home in Wilton Manors for 40-50k , smart queens scooped them up. WPB is old and the gays there a soooo tacky, and yes overpriced as well. and yes full of bitchy , obnoxious , Jews and Italians who have that horrid LI accent and look all the same , eyes close together and big noses! UGH...

by Anonymousreply 32March 16, 2019 4:57 PM

It looks hideous and it's full of rude old NY jews.

by Anonymousreply 33March 16, 2019 5:01 PM

Overated.An i never understand why anybody gay wants to live in states that are heavily religious or homophobic.SMH

by Anonymousreply 34March 16, 2019 5:02 PM

It’s like watching paint dry to live in Florida The people have no education there. There is NO culture in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 35March 16, 2019 5:35 PM

It's going to be underwater in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 36March 16, 2019 5:38 PM

OP you should know better than to ask for opinions about Florida on DL. With a few exceptions all you'll get is the usual band of toxic queens who sit at their computers 16 hours a day just waiting for a thread about some place, something, or somebody they very likely know absolutely nothing about first hand, they can trash talk about.

by Anonymousreply 37March 16, 2019 5:48 PM

R33 = DJT

by Anonymousreply 38March 16, 2019 5:54 PM

On the positive side, WPB is better than Belle Glade.

by Anonymousreply 39March 16, 2019 5:58 PM

R38 = Michael Bloomberg

by Anonymousreply 40March 16, 2019 5:59 PM

I'll take the good ol' boys and rednecks on the NW Gulf coast any day over the crazy old northeast coots in south Florida. Everything south of Vero Beach should be walled off and treated as a foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 41March 16, 2019 6:04 PM

My sister and brother in law live there. They relocated from Connecticut about 15 years ago and love it.

They’re retired and live in a golf community - beautiful house with a pool. I love to visit but I’m not ready to leave New York just yet.

by Anonymousreply 42March 16, 2019 9:01 PM

You pretty much described every DL "tell me about" thread, either in the US or abroad.

So many posts based on a scene from a TV show they saw 25 years ago, or Perillo tour with mom and grandma back in the 90s.

I'm guessing that many of these posters are extrapolating out from Seinfeld episodes.

And to that point, yes there are lots of retired Northeast Jews and Italians in Palm Beach COUNTY--they live in Boca, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach and Jupiter. Not in the city of WPB.

by Anonymousreply 43March 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Sometimes I worry for people who have a job transfer and they're just about to move to some new city and they post here for encouragement.

by Anonymousreply 44March 16, 2019 10:06 PM

True r43 but those places are IN Palm Beach County, and the nasty spillover from WPB is evident.

by Anonymousreply 45March 16, 2019 10:26 PM

It's full of jews.

by Anonymousreply 46March 16, 2019 10:29 PM

R46 = Ivanka

by Anonymousreply 47March 16, 2019 10:32 PM

Bring a firearm!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 16, 2019 10:51 PM

yes r23 just be careful not to be mowed down by a drunk or addict on Clematis, or attacked by a crazy homeless person having lunch outside at a cafe, Then there is the nasty bat welding motorists on I95 ready for a road rage fight anytime, then consider retiring there. No Thanks!!!

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2019 12:52 AM

Humidity, insects, hurricanes, tornadoes, Republicans, snow birds, what's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2019 1:31 AM

WPB has a really bad problem with halfway houses and homeless drug addicts as an earlier poster stated upthread. The west coast of FL is far more tolerable than the trashy east coast. St Pete is cool and has a really good gay scene. The weather is perfect and the housing is cheap.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2019 1:49 AM

And the water on the west coast of Florida is crystal clear, unlike the brown murky water on most of the Atlantic side.

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2019 1:52 AM

PB county is a democratic stronghold in the state. (One of four.) If you move here and want to be involved with democratic politics, you'll have a grand time.

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2019 1:54 AM

Too close to Mar-A-Lago.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2019 5:15 AM

R54, ever been there? Look up right after you go through the main entrance. What do you see? How about the tiles around the bathroom mirrors. What do they say? Didn’t think so.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2019 5:54 AM

R55 What the hell are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2019 5:34 PM

I've heard Palm Beach itself is gated because it's so rich. So doesn't that mean WPB people wanting to go to the beach have to take a long way around it to the north or south? Seems like that would be kind of a pain.

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2019 5:38 PM

God's toilet. All of FL is.

by Anonymousreply 58March 17, 2019 5:41 PM

It's great. It will also be underwater in 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 59March 17, 2019 5:53 PM

There is almost zero gay public social life in all of Palm Beach County.

by Anonymousreply 60March 17, 2019 5:56 PM

What's public social life?

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2019 7:06 PM

East coaster here. Anticipating early retirement, we bought a second home in WPB a few years ago. Beautiful apartment with Intercostal and Atlantic views. Biked to the beach. Hung out at City Place. But that’s it.

Eventually realized, unless you want to drive to sinking Miami, most everything is geared to up and coming druggies or (really) old, people. The “better” restaurants water down food for the elderly clientele (“al dente” pasta, what’s that?).

by Anonymousreply 62March 17, 2019 7:27 PM

It’s no Boca.

by Anonymousreply 63March 17, 2019 7:52 PM

its where the palm beach day maids and landscapers live if they are not live-in.

by Anonymousreply 64March 17, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]Affordable housing for residents with mental illnesses coming to West Palm Beach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 17, 2019 11:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!