Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #347: "Sondheim Disses BE MORE CHILL, Seen Wearing Yellow Shoes" Edition

Is BE MORE CHILL critic proof?

Will Sondheim's leaving-at-intermission slight hurt it with the over-80 set?

Who, exactly, is crying out for a new production of THE MUSIC MAN?

This and more, inside...

by Anonymousreply 607March 19, 2019 3:40 AM

Be More Chill should diss Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 1March 14, 2019 2:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 14, 2019 2:43 PM

Saw “Kiss Me, Kate” last night. Kelli O’Hara was lovely. The show itself was fine. Great dancing. Typical Cole Porter...about a half hour too long with nonsequitor numbers filling act two.

by Anonymousreply 3March 14, 2019 2:44 PM

Saw the Temptations musical the other day. It gave me vertigo. All those chairs and tables swirling on the turntable and all those words and raindrops flying by on the digital walls. It didn't stop moving.

The lead actor who plays Otis scowled throughout, without a single smile.

The cast is talented. But there are too many characters. All the songs are truncated or interrupted by dialogue. Only two of the songs are used as character numbers (by the wife Florence, and then by Paul in an easy chair). And this story has been told better in DREAMGIRLS and JERSEY BOYS. It wasn't as good as Gloria Estafan, but it was better than SUMMER.

I suppose there's an audience for this show, which will keep it running. But it left me exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 4March 14, 2019 2:59 PM

[quote] It wasn't as good as Gloria Estafan, but it was better than SUMMER.

High praise indeed. I'm holding out for the Britney Spears musical.

by Anonymousreply 5March 14, 2019 3:07 PM

NANTUCKET SLEIGH RIDE is a mess. A burnt-out playwright buys a house in Nantucket and deals with the repercussions of not visiting a local revival of his one play whom every character either acted in or can quote lines from. Will Swenson plays a 'touched' screechy eleven-year old.

Christopher Durang did this kind of stuff a lot better. I'm also tired of self-referential plays about plays (and musicals about musicals).

by Anonymousreply 6March 14, 2019 3:25 PM

Wait, Swenson plays a kid?

by Anonymousreply 7March 14, 2019 4:18 PM

Sorry - He plays a scruffy hipster. Adam Chandler-Berat plays the kid.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 4:27 PM

John Guare is a bit of a mess, always has been. Occasionally very entertaining. I always took him to be a closeted arriviste who was obsessed with rich people. He’s basically a smart but uppity guy from Queens.

Anybody have any firsthand knowledge of Mr Guare?

by Anonymousreply 9March 14, 2019 4:36 PM

If Nikkie Renee Daniels ends up in The Music Man I will VOMIT.

by Anonymousreply 10March 14, 2019 5:12 PM

R9 He once sold me his house seats to SIX DEGREES when I was in the cancellation line at Lincoln Center. Seemed very affable--he said, "It should be good, as Stockard is back in it." That's all I got.

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]If Nikkie Renee Daniels ends up in The Music Man I will VOMIT.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 12March 14, 2019 5:31 PM

He was selling house seats to his own play? Is this a racket playwrights have on the side?

by Anonymousreply 13March 14, 2019 5:42 PM

Adam CB is also way too old to be an 11-year-olf.

by Anonymousreply 14March 14, 2019 5:43 PM

R9 I've met him a couple of times over the years. He's always very nice. A little nutty (not in a bad way) and very nice.

by Anonymousreply 15March 14, 2019 5:56 PM

After all is said and done, I guess House of Blue Leaves is Guare's only great play. 6 Degrees has dated horribly, as the last Broadway revival showed.

by Anonymousreply 16March 14, 2019 6:04 PM

Why can't Marcellus be a POC

by Anonymousreply 17March 14, 2019 6:05 PM

R16 I didn't see that revival, but was it the production or the play itself?

I also love Landscape of the Body, a wonderful play with an unfortunate first NY production (despite the great Shirley Knight and Peg Murray.)

by Anonymousreply 18March 14, 2019 6:32 PM

No Gary buzz?

by Anonymousreply 19March 14, 2019 6:33 PM

There are some reports on ATC that people have been walking out on it, though others say they rather like it because while it's all over the place, there are lots of dick jokes and fart jokes. Someone else is calling others out for referring to Taylor Mac as "he" instead of "judy" as a pronoun. Are people supposed to keep two names in mind for folks' personal pronouns now?

by Anonymousreply 20March 14, 2019 6:42 PM

Did Mandy Patinkin require judy to call him Deanna when they worked together?

by Anonymousreply 21March 14, 2019 6:43 PM

R18, the late Alexa Kenin was also in it. She was hilarious describing someone’s hairdo with insects (?) in it. She died tragically a few years later at a very young age.

by Anonymousreply 22March 14, 2019 6:52 PM

[quote]No Gary buzz?

Someone in the previous thread said it's a hot mess and predicted it would close in previews.

by Anonymousreply 23March 14, 2019 7:07 PM

I love Landscape of the Body but it's a play that really works best, if at all, only on the written page.

I didn't see the original production with Shirley Knight but I did see a revival at 2nd Stage in the 1980s with Christine Lahti (and Christian Slater as her young son) and another one at Yale Rep in the 1990s with Laura Linney (and Reg Rogers as the detective). The big problem with the play in performance is the 2nd Act has to be carried by the 4 young teenagers who, inevitably are not up to the theatricality it requires. And part of that is carting around a very visible severed head.

by Anonymousreply 24March 14, 2019 7:29 PM

I'm not usually a fan of S.R. Scott nor Michael Greif, but that Landscape... production around 2005 acquitted the play very well.

by Anonymousreply 25March 14, 2019 9:08 PM

One of the leads in Music Man better damn well be diverse or I absolutely will NOT see it!

by Anonymousreply 26March 14, 2019 9:31 PM

[quote]One of the leads in Music Man better damn well be diverse or I absolutely will NOT see it!

Take your ongoing effort at race-baiting and shove it up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2019 9:34 PM

I don't care if an actor is "right" for the role or if they are the best actor of those up for the role. It is time for more representation and visibility.

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2019 9:35 PM

Uh, r27 you are WAYYYY off-base here.

by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2019 9:35 PM

RuPaul for Eulalie McKechny Shinn and Billy Porter as one of the Pickalittle Girls.

by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2019 9:37 PM

Oh r27 shove it up your ass. You are so panicked by anyone questioning the official stance on token casting. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2019 9:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2019 9:42 PM

I don't give a crap if there is a consensus about an actor's "talent" (subjective). What is most important right now is visibility and representation.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2019 9:42 PM

When did these theatre boards get so angry? Just going by the last few, you can barely go ten posts without someone being called an asshole or having two erudite posters snapping at each other to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2019 9:42 PM

Looniness will do that to a thread.

by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2019 9:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2019 9:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote]Why can't Marcellus be a POC

Cedric the Entertainer is Marcellus

Tyler Perry (as Madea) is Ethel Toffelmier.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2019 10:08 PM

The "anger" is the Loon trying to sidetrack with boring trolling, probably because he wasn't around to start the thread. He is suggesting "visibility and representation" from one device and yelling at himself from another. Best to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2019 10:20 PM

How dreary are the Tony Awards going to be this year? Maybe as a tribute to touring shows Scott Rudin will haul in the Dolly! tour and have the Harmonia Garden waiters and Betty Buckley do the title number, which he was too hateful to give us when Bette was doing it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2019 10:23 PM

Julie White for Featured ... that was really her lucky day

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2019 10:38 PM

R39 i'm doing nothing of the sort, not sure why you would suggest that

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2019 10:51 PM

Brooks Ashmanskas seems sweet and his coming out story was charming. You all made him sound like a maniacal common hussy over the years, what gives?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2019 10:54 PM

It’s a fine time in theater when so called representation is more important than talent.

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2019 10:55 PM

I think everyone in this thread should be more chill.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2019 10:56 PM

Fine, r45!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2019 11:17 PM

[quote]She died tragically a few years later at a very young age.

I vaguely recall about Alexa Kenin, but all I could find on Wiki was that her body was discovered in her apartment and the cause of death is unknown.

Does anyone know anything more?

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2019 11:40 PM

[quote] i'm doing nothing of the sort, not sure why you would suggest that

I'm not the one who suggested it, but you've been doing shit like that for over two years. Or have you forgotten shutting down the threads you didn't start, or threads that mentioned Mary Poppins or Julie Andrews, with posting the same thing over and over? You've acted like a little Aspie thug on DL, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2019 11:42 PM

R47, I thought I read somewhere that she was a diabetic. But I might be confusing her with British actress Charlotte Coleman, who was also found dead in her apartment at a very young age

by Anonymousreply 49March 15, 2019 12:14 AM

ok r48 you are out of your freakin mind. I never did any of those things. Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 50March 15, 2019 12:24 AM

Best to just ignore the Aspie thug, R48.

by Anonymousreply 51March 15, 2019 12:24 AM

If you're Matt the Loon, yes, yes you did.

by Anonymousreply 52March 15, 2019 12:25 AM

Charlotte Coleman died from a bronchial infection, not diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 53March 15, 2019 12:25 AM

R52 I have absolutely no idea who that is or what you are talking about

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2019 12:27 AM

Well, it didn't take long for this thread to devolve into pissy name-calling, did it?

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2019 12:28 AM

R39 made a comment about the Loon ruining the thread, and then you responded "I've been doing nothing of the sort." Since the comment was specifically about the Loon, why did you respond that way if you weren't him?

by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2019 12:30 AM

Because he called me a "loon" for my post about visibility and representation . I'm not here enough to know there is some person called The Loon. Jeez

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2019 12:31 AM

A young actor FB friend of mine announced on FB that he'd been cast in Taylor Mac's Gary a couple of months ago, but now that I'm reading chat room reports on the show, I see that Nathan , Julie White and Kristine Neilsen are the only 3 actors in it.

Does anyone know if there was originally a larger cast intended for the show?

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2019 12:33 AM

And he also said I am arguing with myself. All of this is untrue and strange to assume as fact.

by Anonymousreply 59March 15, 2019 12:32 AM

He didn't call you a loon. He called out THE Loon, and he didn't single any particular poster out, or a particular post, either. So your response was telling.

It was on the discussion of racists comments though, Are you the one who's been making those?

by Anonymousreply 60March 15, 2019 12:37 AM

He quoted my post about visibility and representation and called me a loon. I think what is "telling" is that you spend too much time here and are becoming paranoid.

by Anonymousreply 61March 15, 2019 12:39 AM

Baz Bamigboye has tweeted that Petula Clark will play The Bird Woman in the West End revival of Mary Poppins this fall. She told Baz she’ll be singing “Feed the Birds” and “will be doing something extra.”

by Anonymousreply 62March 15, 2019 12:38 AM

I posted at r33 and r39 quoted me and called me a loon. Get some sleep or something.

by Anonymousreply 63March 15, 2019 12:39 AM

If you are not THE Loon, you are certainly Loon-adjacent, r63.

by Anonymousreply 64March 15, 2019 12:43 AM

It's loony to call for visibility and representation? Ok then...

by Anonymousreply 65March 15, 2019 12:45 AM

Jessica Christ, ladies, stop squabbling

by Anonymousreply 66March 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Back on topic....

Who's got more stories about Sondheim being cunty, per OP?

He's not really cunty that often. But when he is, publicly, it's DELICIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 67March 15, 2019 12:48 AM

[R58] There is a surprise chorus of buff guys playing soldiers. So, must have meant that he is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 68March 15, 2019 12:47 AM

Do we have a Marian yet?

by Anonymousreply 69March 15, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]Baz Bamigboye has tweeted that Petula Clark will play The Bird Woman in the West End revival of Mary Poppins this fall. She told Baz she’ll be singing “Feed the Birds” and “will be doing something extra.”

Cameron Mackintosh doesn’t do much stunt casting, but when he does, Jesus Christ, it’s just awful. What’s the something extra? When the kids visit their dad at the bank, will they join Petula in a chorus of "Downtown"?

by Anonymousreply 70March 15, 2019 12:57 AM

Hottie Joseph Millson is playing Mr. Banks in that production of Mary Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 71March 15, 2019 12:58 AM

R71 He is delicious indeed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 15, 2019 1:01 AM

[quote]Can you imagine sitting in your seat waiting for the show to start and the person who's suddenly filing into the row from the opposite side is Stephen Sondheim? How could you ever concentrate on the show knowing he's sitting RIGHT THERE next to you? Talk about a theater experience to remember.

R560 in the last thread- that happened to me. It was West Side Story. I had the dumbest grin on my face the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 73March 15, 2019 1:03 AM

"One of the leads in Music Man better damn well be diverse or I absolutely will NOT see it!"

If they can sing, act, dance and play an instrument, will that be diverse enough for you?

"I don't care if an actor is "right" for the role or if they are the best actor of those up for the role. It is time for more representation and visibility."

Sez you. If I'm the author of the piece and went through the agony of getting it down on the page, you better DAMN well cast according to my specifications.

"It’s a fine time in theater when so called representation is more important than talent."

Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 74March 15, 2019 1:49 AM

There have been a few rumors about the death of Alexa Kenin, one being that it was a heroin overdose, another that she had been beaten to death by a boyfriend (like Dominique Dunne). The diabetes rumor is the oldest one, but nothing official has ever surfaced.

by Anonymousreply 75March 15, 2019 2:34 AM

The mystery deepens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2019 2:41 AM

Jussie Smollett IS Tommy Djilas!

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2019 2:54 AM

That's right, it was asthma not diabetes. I may have been thinking of Dana Hill.

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2019 2:54 AM

[quote] She told Baz she’ll be singing “Feed the Birds” and “will be doing something extra.”

Perhaps something akin to what Andrea Martin did in "Pippin?"

by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2019 2:56 AM

Gary is terrific but it is BEYOND non commercial. It draws from historic greek tragedies in that phalluses literally abound. There are more dicks and dick jokes on stage than in Naked Boys Singing, and more blood than sexy Oklahoma. And at the same time, the entire show is basically a 90 minute debate on the meaning of theater, comedy and tragedy. It's like a Satyr play meets Euripides. I can't imagine there are enough people who could understand the philosophical arguments let alone stomach the geisers of blood.

The poster before is correct, it will close early. It's also occasionally unweildy (but does have the prerequisite coup de theatre). But he was wrong to say its a hot mess. It's positively brilliant. Kristine Nielsen is best in show, but all three leads are doing good work. Nathan is surprisingly... subdued? I expected there to be more Catskills or at least more of his Pseudolus, but it's a very measured performance.

by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2019 3:31 AM

I don't think they'll go with a POC Tommy Djilas. It would it feel too much like the Shinn's don't like him because he's black. I wonder if in addition to Telly as Marcellus they'll be looking for a POC mayor Shinn or a black Jacey Squires.

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2019 3:35 AM

Small town Iowa in those days would not have elected a POC mayor.

by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2019 3:41 AM

That doesn't matter, r82. It's all fantasy anyway, not a strict history book.

by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2019 3:43 AM

R10, what do you have against Nikki?

by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2019 3:57 AM

"It's all fantasy anyway, not a strict history book."

But it does matter, r83, it matters deeply. In any dramatic story, you have to start from a foundation of truth, no matter how fantastic the premise. And TMM is a slice of historical Americana. The attitudes of the populace ARE real and not only reflect the times but give the actors something to play. Otherwise it's a mish-mash of nothing and, worst of all, doesn't honor the intention of the writer.

by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2019 4:31 AM

r85 SO TRUE. The people of Iowa back then were easily duped into believing that pool tables were Satanic and that every movement of a mayor's wife could bespeak Del Sarte.

You are an idiot. Or should I say loon-y loon loon loon.

by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2019 4:35 AM

"The people of Iowa back then were easily duped into believing that pool tables were Satanic and that every movement of a mayor's wife could bespeak Del Sarte."

Thank you. It's precisely those absurd and provincial attitudes of small-town life that are affectionately satirized in THE MUSIC MAN and must be played for their truth. Because the underside of that truth is the reason the town flips on Harold and wants to tar and feather him once they've found him out: they turn into a mob.

by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2019 5:59 AM

Ben talks with Ellen:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2019 6:29 AM

I think R80's post makes "Gary" sound very intriguing. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it this Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2019 6:37 AM

The rehearsal clips posted from I Married an Angel aren’t too good. Sounds screechy and dull.

by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2019 6:42 AM

I love The Music Man. I saw the terrific Briadway revival in early 2000's with Craig Bierko.

by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2019 6:46 AM

The diversity and representation guy on here is really looney. Judge people on their talent, not their color. Have looney tunes forgotten MLK's teachings or just ignorant of them?

by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2019 6:48 AM

R92 I did love it when that joker cast a white man as MLK in 'The Mountaintop', hilarious

by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2019 6:50 AM

[quote]He was selling house seats to his own play? Is this a racket playwrights have on the side?

House seats aren't comps. if he had house seats to sell, it was because he paid for them.

by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2019 6:58 AM

I've heard BE MORE CHILL is ghastly.

From an adult, of course. "Just horrible" was the report back.

by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2019 7:01 AM

And what do you know? Rave in the NYT for "Kiss Me Kate."

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2019 7:25 AM

R32 thanks for the treat. More freshness and inventiveness in that than in the combined current shows with their tuneless caterwauling and bombast.

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2019 7:27 AM

To whomever was asking in the previous thread, yes, Richard Fleeshman is very much straight and shares a home with the insanely talented and beautiful Celinde Schoenmaker who is going to be in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA in London this summer with Dove Cameron and "Dame" Renee Fleming.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2019 8:42 AM

Does this mean it's not Jessie or Megan for Marion?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 15, 2019 10:15 AM

Not necessarily, r99. Remember, The Music Man doesn't even start rehearsing till August, 2020.

by Anonymousreply 100March 15, 2019 10:32 AM

Megaaaaaaaaaan! You broke my heart!!

by Anonymousreply 101March 15, 2019 10:37 AM

Julie White plays the same character no matter what show she’s in-histrionic, nutty, absent minded

by Anonymousreply 102March 15, 2019 10:46 AM

Can someone start a new Broadway Sex thread? Thennnks.

by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2019 10:52 AM

BE MORE CHILL The cast is too old to be playing teens. The sound is loud and poor quality The teens love it They will make all of their money on merch.

by Anonymousreply 104March 15, 2019 10:52 AM

Rave is a strong word - it was a positive review with some clear qualifications

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2019 11:39 AM

Julie White IS Marian.

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2019 11:44 AM

I did a play with John Guare several years ago. He is comes across as very nice. The play was during Passover and one of the crew offered him some Charoset, which he politely declined because he was a recovering alcoholic. He was very gracious.

However, as a playwright, he is the sort that does not know what is best for his own play. He killed every joke and every funny bit of business. He really did not like it when actors came up with their own business. Why hire two great comic actors if you won't allow them to be funny?

He also drove the props people crazy. There was a baby carriage on stage, but he didn't want it too big; so, it was a doll carriage. However, he wanted the baby to be the size of a real baby. He just did not understand that the doll could not be the size of a real baby in the actors arms, but magically shrink to the scale of a doll carriage. There was also so problem with a gramophone. We must have gone through a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote]Brooks Ashmanskas seems sweet and his coming out story was charming. You all made him sound like a maniacal common hussy over the years, what gives?

He is an actor, darl'n, and knows how to give an interview. I find it interesting that he never mentions Nicholas Martin, who was his teacher at Bennington and his mentor in NYC. The two were very close until Nicholas Martin died.

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2019 12:41 PM

Oh they stopped being close after one of them died? Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2019 1:00 PM

I Married an Angel is a wonderful score and Balanchine's choreography stopped the show. 80 will be the average age of the audience. And they'll like it no matter how bad it will be. Which it won't be but it just won't be very good. And they'll say it's better than the original which they thought they saw but couldn't have. At least the music will be great.

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2019 1:15 PM

r68, thanks for the info about the extra actors in GARY. I had searched IBDB to look for my friend's name in the cast and didn't see it. Only the 3 leads.

I'm sad for my friend. He's a great actor but I guess.....work is work.

I'm totally intrigued to see the show, even the criticism makes it sound interesting. And bravo to Rudin for producing something like this commercially....he can afford the loss.

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2019 1:28 PM

Speaking of Our Miss Brooks, is he morphing into James Lapine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2019 2:09 PM

Why is a young playwright being allowed to direct the movie version of his own play, and with Scott Rudin producing, of all people? And why is most of the original cast going to star in "The Humans" without the participation of TONY winner Reed Birney? I've heard Stephen Karam is a nasty piece of work, but what exactly did he have to do to get this gig?

Birds of a feather......

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2019 2:48 PM

Amy Schumer is going to make Karam sorry he ever took the job.

by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2019 2:54 PM

Not understanding why r113 is so indignant about Karam directing The Humans. He's no longer a wunderkind; he's an established top-drawer playwight. Is there a backstory I've missed?

by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2019 2:54 PM

Betty a year later, still with the frosted look

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2019 3:15 PM

Rudin is shutting down all productions of To Kill A Mockingbird all over the US claiming he’s the only one with the rights to the stage version

by Anonymousreply 117March 15, 2019 3:52 PM

r102, the same could be said for Andrea Martin. And Kristine Nielsen.

by Anonymousreply 118March 15, 2019 3:56 PM

Rudin is such a miserable fat pig. So is his fat pig boyfriend John Barlow. Can you imagine those two slobs having sex? How repulsive!

by Anonymousreply 119March 15, 2019 4:02 PM

Careful, R119-Insulting Fatboy is a good way to get the thread shut down.

by Anonymousreply 120March 15, 2019 4:11 PM

R115-Exactly. Karam is a playwright. Not a director.

by Anonymousreply 121March 15, 2019 4:13 PM

At least there are zero Me Too stories circulating about Rudin although he definitely has had a “type” when hiring male assistants.

by Anonymousreply 122March 15, 2019 4:13 PM

QUILTERS!

by Anonymousreply 123March 15, 2019 4:31 PM

FAT MEN IN SKIRTS!

by Anonymousreply 124March 15, 2019 4:35 PM

I think Rudin reversed his decision on Mockingbird, and the local companies are being permitted to go ahead with their productions.

So wait, a playwright who is given an opportunity to direct his own work is vilified? Why?

by Anonymousreply 125March 15, 2019 4:41 PM

Karam's not the first to do this, and he won't be the last. Lapine has directed his own stuff (including pre-Sondheim).

by Anonymousreply 126March 15, 2019 4:42 PM

And John Patrick Shanley directed the film of Doubt, also produced by Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 127March 15, 2019 5:01 PM

I think somebody's just hating on Karam.

by Anonymousreply 128March 15, 2019 5:06 PM

Look out world....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 15, 2019 5:21 PM

You asked for it, r123!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 15, 2019 6:14 PM

Quilters will be an excellent show to demonstrate women's empowerment ( which is the new rage with the PCSJW crowd); kind of like King Kong, but without the monkey.

by Anonymousreply 131March 15, 2019 6:22 PM

LATE NIGHT COMIC!

by Anonymousreply 132March 15, 2019 6:23 PM

R132, I raise you a "Mimi Le Duck"

by Anonymousreply 133March 15, 2019 6:25 PM

Little Charlie Stemp *IS* Marian in The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 134March 15, 2019 6:27 PM

Tommy Djilas, R 134?

by Anonymousreply 135March 15, 2019 6:31 PM

[quote]And John Patrick Shanley directed the film of Doubt, also produced by Rudin.

The movie version of Doubt was shit. Shanley lost all perspective about the story. It didn't even make sense. The story was supposed to be about DOUBT.

Philip Seymour Hoffman looked like the stereotpycial pedophile. So we're already led to believe he did it.

In the first few minutes, you see the priests living high while Streep literally chews the scenery (that bit with her gnawing on the meat was ridiculous). So we're led to believe that priests get treated better than nuns, therefore a more favorable outcome should the do anything wrong.

When Streep goes outdoors, the wind blows up and all the leaves blow towards her as if God was saying, "Gurl, you in danger."

The movie was a mess! Which is unfortunate because the stage play was very good. You're *supposed* to leave the theater with doubt.

by Anonymousreply 136March 15, 2019 6:36 PM

So did Sondheim walk out on Be More Chill or not? This the fabled DL, we cannot rely on sites like BWW as grist for our mill. We need a direct eye-witness report, with receipts..... or it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 137March 15, 2019 6:55 PM

WORKING!

by Anonymousreply 138March 15, 2019 6:56 PM

BWW had a couple of direct eye-witness reports of the Sondheim walkout, on the Be More Chill thread at pp 6-7, I think.

by Anonymousreply 139March 15, 2019 7:01 PM

I am, r138!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140March 15, 2019 7:07 PM

I don't know Rudin, and yes, I've heard he can be tough, but I can't think of a better, more adventurous producer around.

by Anonymousreply 141March 15, 2019 7:08 PM

March 12 from Jen Tepper's Facebook. No mention of Sondheim walking out.

"I’ve been keeping this inside but... last week, I watched Stephen Sondheim belly-laugh through a performance of Be More Chill.

I could tell you 30 specific things Sondheim laughed at or reacted to in our show. My jaw was dropped the whole time, my heart on the floor. One cast member accidentally left a prop on stage at this performance causing some bloopers and I was making everyone feel better about it backstage later BUT I NEVER ACTUALLY SAW ANY OF IT BECAUSE I WAS ONLY WATCHING STEPHEN SONDHEIM AT BE MORE CHILL"

by Anonymousreply 142March 15, 2019 7:09 PM

Someone showed me Stephen Karam's Grindr photo years ago and he was ripped. I was really amazed. It wasn't attractive, he looked like He-Man.

by Anonymousreply 143March 15, 2019 7:11 PM

I am r138

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 15, 2019 7:11 PM

I am r138

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2019 7:13 PM

r112, I don't get your James Lapine reference re Brooks Ashmanskas. Can you please elaborate?

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 146March 15, 2019 7:22 PM

Perhaps Karam and Shanley would only sell the film rights to Rudin if they were allowed to direct?

And FWIW, I much preferred the film of Doubt to the stage play, even with Cherry Jones (who I found quite unbelievable).

by Anonymousreply 147March 15, 2019 7:23 PM

I didn't get that either, r146.

I can't imagine that Jen Tepper would lie on a public forum about seeing Sondheim, whereas a couple of anonymous teenyboppers........

by Anonymousreply 148March 15, 2019 7:23 PM

I can't imagine The Humans will add up to much on film. It didn't as play for me either.

by Anonymousreply 149March 15, 2019 7:27 PM

Is there a difference between Jen Tepper and a teenybopper?

by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2019 7:31 PM

I also preferred the ambiguity of the stage version of "Doubt." And I also preferred Cherry Jones to Ms. Streep.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2019 7:34 PM

R138, I didn’t leave the theatre with doubt; I was sure he did it.

There’s one line that only a guilty man would say

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2019 7:48 PM

Can there be any doubt that Rudin has people on here putting a positive spin on his productions?

by Anonymousreply 153March 15, 2019 8:03 PM

I worked on the film of Doubt. Most of us were baffled by the “opening up” of the play. We knew the subplot with the caucasian student and his parents (mom was played by Carrie Preston) didn’t work. We knew there was trouble when the DP Allen Davieu (who did ET) was fired a few weeks before shooting. Yes, I agree totally that PSH looked like an obvious pedophile. I heard that Patrick Wilson was considered for it-and he would have been great casting-but Rudin pushed hard for PSH. We found out at the wrap party from the script supervisor that PSH was playing it that yes, he was guilty of the previous child molesting allegations but he didn’t molest Donald, he was genuinely trying to help him in a way to atone for his crimes. The script supervisor turned out to be Kevin Spacey’s “fiancee” which is sort of ironic.

by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote]I heard that Patrick Wilson was considered for it

I think his casting would have gone too much in the other direction, too angelic. Why would such a beautiful boy be a pedophile? My choice was Liam Neeson.

by Anonymousreply 155March 15, 2019 8:29 PM

[quote]Why would such a beautiful boy be a pedophile?

Amazingly stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 156March 15, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote]Why would such a beautiful boy be a pedophile? Amazingly stupid question.

You may think it's a stupid question, but that's the way many people think.

by Anonymousreply 157March 15, 2019 8:49 PM

Betty Hutton isn't nearly as good in that second Burke's Law clip as she is in the first one. She must have been out of her speed that day.

by Anonymousreply 158March 15, 2019 9:23 PM

Brooks didn't mention Nicky Martin, R108 because... he wasn't asked about anything associated with him? The interview focused on his Broadway career. Most of the work Brooks did with Martin was at Williamstown etc.

Yeah Brooks is an actor but he's been noticeably more subdued and less thirsty in his Prom-related press than he used to be even just a few years ago. Just an observation, not a complaint. I wonder if he's still with his longtime partner?

by Anonymousreply 159March 15, 2019 9:26 PM

Saw the pics of the Title of show reunion concert. Wow, has Hunter Bell become a fatty. Heidi Blickenstaff's thighs have never been fuller. Who would think that Jeff Bowen would wind up winning first in show for his looks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 15, 2019 9:26 PM

Didn't even recognize Hunter Bell.

Personally think Heidi B. is one of those women who looks her prettiest with a little bit of weight on her.

by Anonymousreply 161March 15, 2019 9:32 PM

I can't think of anything the universe needs less than a "Title of Show" reunion concert. If everyone who saw it on Broadway came, they'd still have a half empty house. That crowd is so deluded about that show and its "impact and meaning." It's essentially artistic masturbation. Let's have a new rule: No more musicals about writing musicals! They BORE us.

by Anonymousreply 162March 15, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]It's essentially artistic masturbation.

I would like to see Michael Berresse artistically masturbate.

by Anonymousreply 163March 15, 2019 9:52 PM

So will KMK be Kelli O's second Tony Award? Her only really competition would be Stephanie J. Block (overdue?) for the awful The Cher Show, or maybe Beth Leavel for The Prom, but she's already got one just like Kelli does.

by Anonymousreply 164March 15, 2019 10:08 PM

[quote]I've heard BE MORE CHILL is ghastly. From an adult, of course. "Just horrible" was the report back.

Was the adult named Upson by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 165March 15, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote]I saw the terrific Briadway revival in early 2000's with Craig Bierko.

Take it to the Briadway thread.

by Anonymousreply 166March 15, 2019 10:26 PM

Is there any gossip in the Briadway thread?

by Anonymousreply 167March 15, 2019 10:28 PM

[quote]So will KMK be Kelli O's second Tony Award? Her only really competition would be Stephanie J. Block (overdue?) for the awful The Cher Show, or maybe Beth Leavel for The Prom, but she's already got one just like Kelli does.

Is there a female lead in Hadestown? Is the girl in Bettlejuice a lead role? She’s supposedly very good.

by Anonymousreply 168March 15, 2019 10:28 PM

Can someone start a new Briadway sex thread? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 169March 15, 2019 10:32 PM

Actress cast as Celie in UK production of The Color Purple has said on FB that “homosexuality is wrong.” Did I mention she’s playing Celie? What would Cynthia have to say about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 15, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote] Brooks didn't mention Nicky Martin, [R108] because... he wasn't asked about anything associated with him?

Hmm... Bennington, where Nicholas Martin was his teacher, Williamstown where Nicholas Martin was the artistic director, Present Laughter and She Stoops to Conquer-both directed by Nicholas Martin. Brooks talks about moving to NYC omitting the fact that he already had done the workshop production of Flaubert's Latest at Playwrights Horizons while still at school thanks to Nicholas Martin and had a ton of connections, thanks to Nicholas Martin.

Nicholas Martin was a huge part of his life. Yes, it is odd to have omitted him.

by Anonymousreply 171March 15, 2019 10:35 PM

Why start a Broadway sex thread? No one seems to know anything about anyone on Broadway having sex. It’s just post after post stating with, “Anyone know anything about... “

Boring!

by Anonymousreply 172March 15, 2019 10:36 PM

Didn't Brooks do the lead in SHE LOVES ME for Nicky?

by Anonymousreply 173March 15, 2019 11:03 PM

And why doesn’t the person who keeps asking for one just start one?

by Anonymousreply 174March 15, 2019 11:03 PM

R173, yes. And, Gods of Carnage. Soooooo believable as a parent.

by Anonymousreply 175March 15, 2019 11:07 PM

Sorry, for R173.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 15, 2019 11:07 PM

I expect Kelli will win a second Tony for "Kiss Me, Kate." Even the reviews that were slightly mixed praised her to the hilt. Both the Times and the Washington Post reviews were glowing when talking about her.

by Anonymousreply 177March 15, 2019 11:12 PM

Besides being fat, Brooks doesn't read even remotely straight in that "She Loves Me" clip.

by Anonymousreply 178March 15, 2019 11:23 PM

He's huffing and puffing as hard as Sheridan Smith did in her clip from FUNNY GIRL

by Anonymousreply 179March 15, 2019 11:27 PM

Does the Kong puppet identify as female? She could take the Tony!

by Anonymousreply 180March 15, 2019 11:32 PM

Theater folks, I need some advice. I’m going to see Lion King in Toronto in July. There is an Orchestra seat 6 rows back center, or a Dress Circle seat front row center. Which should I purchase? Thanks for your expertise.

by Anonymousreply 181March 15, 2019 11:32 PM

The one that would be least likely to be surrounded by children R181.

by Anonymousreply 182March 15, 2019 11:40 PM

I normally like sitting up front, but sat about half way or 2/3 back in orchestra for Lion King. The opening number is the best part and you're probably better off in Dress Circle to be able to see the parade through the aisles better.

by Anonymousreply 183March 15, 2019 11:39 PM

I don't think it's weird that Brooks didn't bring up Nicolas Martin. He gets emotional when he talks about him. Even in that Show People video, you can see him start to well up a little while talking about his parents. Besides, when you're talking about your life and career in a 20-minute interview you can't squeeze in every single detail. He's mentioned Martin dozens of times over the year. Give the guy a break.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 16, 2019 12:20 AM

I would imagine that the producers of "Gary" aren't doing this to turn a profit. Taylor Mac ain't exactly writing for the tourists.

Seeing it on Tuesday, will report back.

by Anonymousreply 185March 16, 2019 12:35 AM

Speaking of snarky Sondheim, I seem to recall he dissed Title of Show.

by Anonymousreply 186March 16, 2019 12:37 AM

I'll bet he didn't. He almost never does that unless the creators are dead.

But I'll bet he thought it.

by Anonymousreply 187March 16, 2019 12:40 AM

Tracie Bennett dried on a line tonight in the NT revival of FOLLIES in London. On the other hand the acting in that show gets better and better -- Joanna Riding truly a Sally for the ages. And Peter Forbes must be a near-definitive Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 188March 16, 2019 12:43 AM

Has Sondheim turned into one of those people who love everything?

by Anonymousreply 189March 16, 2019 12:55 AM

I don't think so, although god knows he's mellowed over the years. I think he just doesn't want to be discouraging to anyone.

Or maybe he actually liked the show?

by Anonymousreply 190March 16, 2019 1:02 AM

When Liza Minelli took over for Gwen Verdon in "Chicago" was Chita Rivera pissed that Liza took "My Own Best Friend" as a solo or was she glad she could go back to her dressing room, put her feet up and smoke a cigarette?

by Anonymousreply 191March 16, 2019 1:11 AM

[quote]Actress cast as Celie in UK production of The Color Purple has said on FB that “homosexuality is wrong.”

She's playing it in Birmingham, which is 90% Muslim. She's probably just trying to protect herself.

by Anonymousreply 192March 16, 2019 1:14 AM

How many of the kids in "Shakespeare High" did Kevin Spacey diddle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 16, 2019 1:22 AM

Is that as in "hey diddle diddle"??

by Anonymousreply 194March 16, 2019 1:25 AM

Spacey probably messed around with the kid that says, "I like to gang bang."

by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2019 1:27 AM

Kevin Spacey could make his dramatic return back to Broadway as Mayor Shinn. August 2020 sounds like the right time for him to do his apology and reinvention tour.

by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2019 1:41 AM

r125, what I heard is that as a good faith gesture, Rudin is allowing local productions of [italic]Mockingbird[/italic] to move forward, *but* they have to use the script to his version.

by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2019 1:42 AM

R148 Jen Tepper is one of the producers, and Joe Iconis's BFF, so she has plenty of reasons to purposefully omit Sondheim leaving halfway through the show. I'd trust anonymous BWW posters over her any day.

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2019 2:35 AM

Jen Teper sure likes blue eyeshadow!

by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2019 3:09 AM

The Humans is only retaining one member of the theater cast- Jane Houdyshell. I thought she was the weakest link and did not understand her casting, let alone her Tony award. The performance was nothing to write home about, and she was about 15 years too old for the role. She could have played the girls' grandmother. Also did not buy her and Reed Birney as a couple. Hell, she could have played his mother.

Amy Schumer is terrible casting for the older daughter, and Beanie Fieldstein simply cannot act. The only thing that makes sense is I'd believe she came out of Jane Houdyshell. They have matching sideburns. And they've changed the boyfriend from middle eastern to Asian. Steven Yeun was cast.

by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2019 3:16 AM

Sex thread

by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2019 3:18 AM

This is a gossip thread , you can technically post about chorus boys boning each other here.

by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2019 3:20 AM

About Rudin/Mockingbird - apparently it's a contract thing:

[quote]At issue is a dispute between the Harper Lee Estate and the company – Dramatic Publishing – that sells rights to stage Sergel’s play. According to The Times, a 1969 contract between Harper Lee and Dramatic Publishing prevents productions of Sergel’s play “within 25 miles of cities that had a population of 150,000 or more in 1960 (the last census year before the agreement was signed) while a ‘first-class dramatic play’ based on the novel is playing in New York or on tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2019 4:12 AM

I'm fairly certain Chita was the one who wanted to give Liza "My Own Best Friend." She felt like Liza didn't really have a number to showcase her voice (Roxie really isn't a tough sing and is basically in Carol Channing keys) so this song seemed like the best bet. Plus, maybe she was tired and was happy to have a little extra break.

by Anonymousreply 204March 16, 2019 4:28 AM

Beanie Feldstein is wonderful, you are an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 205March 16, 2019 6:39 AM

[quote]I'm fairly certain Chita was the one who wanted to give Liza "My Own Best Friend."

That contradicts every story I’ve ever read.

by Anonymousreply 206March 16, 2019 9:33 AM

You're becoming a pest, r201. If you want a sex thread, start one.

by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2019 11:35 AM

Going back to Our Miss Brooks, why was he nominated for a Tony for Fame Becomes Me? I seems weird to be nominated for what was basically a comedy sketch review. It wasn't a particularly weak year either.

by Anonymousreply 208March 16, 2019 11:40 AM

[quote]Beanie Feldstein is wonderful, you are an idiot

Not in Hello Dolly, she wasn't. She was fat, loud, and unfunny. It was so much better when Mollie Grigsby took over.

by Anonymousreply 209March 16, 2019 12:37 PM

Hey, theater queens. Have nothing to masturbate to this evening? How about Follies?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Were Nicholas Martin and Our Miss Brooks fuck buddies? Is that's what's being implied here?

by Anonymousreply 211March 16, 2019 12:41 PM

I can't believe you bitches are sleeping on 4 Girls 4!

Maureen McGovern!

Lillias White!

Donna McKechnie!

And originally announced with Faith Prince, only to have her replaced by....none other than LINDA LAVIN.

I mean, this is made for the DL......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 16, 2019 12:55 PM

R211, yes, but I think there is more than that. After Nicholas Martin had his stroke, Brooks was often seen pushing NM in his wheelchair around the theater district. That seems to indicate something closer than mere fuck buddies.

by Anonymousreply 213March 16, 2019 12:55 PM

R212, why no Faith?

by Anonymousreply 214March 16, 2019 12:57 PM

R214 I wondered the same.

Maybe she realized she was playing a D+ list theater in Irvine, CA and said, "Oh, fuck this shit."

It's interesting they got Lavin in her place. I guess hiring a person who could actually sing was too far of a stretch?

by Anonymousreply 215March 16, 2019 1:01 PM

Please rise....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 16, 2019 1:21 PM

Two DL favorites ; James Corden and Andrew Lloyd Webber - together at last.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 16, 2019 1:23 PM

As I recall, Brooks got great reviews for SHE LOVES ME, but that clip was horrendous. Was it from the show itself, or as part of a concert.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brooks and Nicky were fuck buddies. Nicky had many of them over the years; we were friends for a long time in the 80s. And isn't BA supposed to be super-hung? Nicky would have liked that. (Well, who wouldn't?)

by Anonymousreply 218March 16, 2019 1:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 16, 2019 1:26 PM

Title of Show was fun but only belonged off Bway. It was only because of the constant pushing of it’s fans didn’t it make it to Bway, where it was, of course, a resounding flop.

I loved when Hunter Bell took off his shirt on stage and revealed a hot, hairy chest. Sad that he’s become a middle aged fatty.

Bell had a few tiny, tiny hollywood roles. Who knows what he (and the other three) are up to nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 220March 16, 2019 1:37 PM

I want to take my two nieces (aged 7 and 9) to a bway show. They’ve seen The Lion King and Wicked and loved them.

Would King Kong be too scary?

by Anonymousreply 221March 16, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]One might not automatically think of the extravagantly comedic Brooks Ashmanskas (“Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me”) in the role of Georg, the mild-mannered, middle-manager hero of the story. But the thesp strikes the right tone of a less-than-dashing, doughy, buttoned-down man. Stunned at the prospects of what could be his last chance at love, he’s both thrilled at the possibility and guarded against disappointment.

[quote]Ashmanskas tamps down his natural flair for comic eruption, replacing it with a measured, sympathetic and charming perf that doesn’t overwhelm the ensemble chamber work. But when love finally comes for sure, Ashmanskas lets loose in the title song that allows his character — and the audience — to simply and grandly celebrate the joys of love, and of musical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 222March 16, 2019 1:41 PM

Heidi just did Freaky Friday.

by Anonymousreply 223March 16, 2019 1:41 PM

[quote]Maybe she realized she was playing a D+ list theater in Irvine, CA and said, "Oh, fuck this shit."

I'd kill for a D+ list theater in Irvine, CA

by Anonymousreply 224March 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Where was this production of She Loves Me with Brooks A? Who else was in it?

by Anonymousreply 225March 16, 2019 2:08 PM

Nicky Martin was mentored by Jack O'Brien who was mentored by Ellis Rabb.

by Anonymousreply 226March 16, 2019 2:10 PM

[quote] Beanie Fieldstein is wonderful, you are an idiot.

And you are blind and deaf. That braying cow was a monstrosity in Hello, Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 227March 16, 2019 2:10 PM

Thanks, r216! What a treat. And what a treasure trove of legends. And no thanking Jesus or their agents. Page, Booth, Newman, Tandy, Lillie, Burton, etc. etc. Who do we have now to compare?

Interesting that CAMELOT and MOLLY BROWN were dissed in the Best Musical category. Neither are great shows, but they can sure stand up to IRMA LA DOUCE for overall quality.

by Anonymousreply 228March 16, 2019 2:11 PM

R221, if you want to teach the girls about female empowerment at any cost and the idea that a woman's betrayal is fine as long as it benefits her, then go ahead. Otherwise stick to the female empowerment of the Disney shows.

by Anonymousreply 229March 16, 2019 2:15 PM

And Nicky and Ellis were the closest of friends.

by Anonymousreply 230March 16, 2019 2:20 PM

That production of She Loves Me was at Huntington, R225. Kate Baldwin and Dick Latessa were also in it. It was quite good and I thought Brooks actually worked well as a non-traditional Georg.

R208, I think Brooks was as surprised as anyone else about his Tony nom that year. But he was the best part about that awful show.

Nicky Martin was a surrogate father to Brooks. I don't think sex was a factor in that relationship, a phrase I imagine one rarely gets to say about Brooks... although he does seem to have mellowed out in the past decade.

by Anonymousreply 231March 16, 2019 3:00 PM

Here's an audience video of excerpts from Dolly in SF. Shit, Buckley is TERRIBLE. Her voice is gone. Although the video was taken in the balcony, it's interesting that so few people are standing for her after her bow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232March 16, 2019 3:32 PM

R221

King Kong is a flop. It will be too scary for you. Lion King and Wicked are both hits as well as spectacles appropriate for kids with an adequate attention span and good manners.

You should definitely take them to Frozen or Aladdin next. Frozen is especially close to being age appropriate for such young girls.

by Anonymousreply 233March 16, 2019 3:32 PM

I blame Beatlemania for all of these juke box musicals on Broadway.

It's better than A Chorus Line!

And the poor matinee lady in pearls, "Huh, It's really great" she said, as she tried to get her ears to stop ringing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234March 16, 2019 3:38 PM

Nah. Beatlemania was a one-off phenomenon. The juke box musicals didn't really start in earnest until Smokey Joe's Cafe. Not that there hadn't been any before that but by 1995, the double whammy of the Brits taking over Broadway and the AIDS crisis wiping out a good number of composers and other artists who should have been the next wave of talent are what helped usher in the jukebox musical craze.

by Anonymousreply 235March 16, 2019 3:51 PM

[quote]The juke box musicals didn't really start in earnest until Smokey Joe's Cafe.

I beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 236March 16, 2019 4:19 PM

Sheena Easton is a babe. (And if you want to watch the whole clip, things get awkward with her and Dave.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 16, 2019 4:30 PM

BEATLEMANIA didn't start the trend, but LENNON certainly should have ended it.

by Anonymousreply 238March 16, 2019 4:30 PM

Oops, start at 12:00 for the Broadway portion.

by Anonymousreply 239March 16, 2019 4:31 PM

Kelli will get a nomination but no win.

by Anonymousreply 240March 16, 2019 4:38 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think there have been some good jukebox musicals. Jersey Boys for example.

by Anonymousreply 241March 16, 2019 5:48 PM

It could be debated, but I think Ain't Misbehaving was the first successful one.

by Anonymousreply 242March 16, 2019 5:54 PM

It doesn't matter which one started the pox; all that matters is that we reach the end of the infestation. Soon.

by Anonymousreply 243March 16, 2019 5:57 PM

Wow I'm a BB fan and that clip is painful ... I still don't get why she even did this. It's not like she needs money - she's got enough TV and movie work. Plus she has her horses and her mom ain't getting any younger. Rudin must be awfully persuasive (and equally desperate).

by Anonymousreply 244March 16, 2019 7:36 PM

The issue isn't jukebox musicals, they've been around forever. They used to be called "revues." The issue is uninspired ones. Summer was atrocious. Cher is only slightly better. Lennon had nice parts. Moving Out was effective. Baby It's You was also awful.

by Anonymousreply 245March 16, 2019 7:39 PM

I liked title of show. I saw it Off Broadway and a few times on Broadway. It was definitely representative of it's time. Social media was sort of new and they were very effective at bringing everyone along for the ride. I don't however know why they thought they could fill the Broadhurst for an Actors Fund reunion. Many title of show fans like me were priced out and not really interested. They kept slashing the donation amount on a papering website, tickets just didn't move. To their credit though for a bunch of nobodies in NY they all parlayed title of show into future work.

by Anonymousreply 246March 16, 2019 7:43 PM

To me personally, it felt like JERSEY BOYS was the one that inspired this recent trend of jukebox musicals. It was an international smash and won the Tony for Best Musical. Of course, producers wanted to emulate that success.

by Anonymousreply 247March 16, 2019 8:13 PM

^Jukebox musical *bios* I mean to add.

by Anonymousreply 248March 16, 2019 8:15 PM

Revues are not the same thing as jukebox "musicals." Revues like Side By Side By Sondheim and Closer Than Ever, etc., at least contain material written for the stage so there is inherent drama/story built in. Jukebox shows have music written for teenagers to listen to in their cars.

by Anonymousreply 249March 16, 2019 8:17 PM

Maybe Buckley wanted one more shot to do classic musical comedy on stage. Let's face it - there aren't many other roles she can take in the next decade or so. Maybe Madame Armfeldt in A Little Night Music? I'm sure she'd manage to make that a laugh free evening as well. There was someone on another thread who summed her up quite well. She can be charming and quite funny as herself and seems to be better on TV/film than she is on stage. I think the only reason she was ever a hit on stage was because of her huge Merman-esque voice. Now that her voice is all but gone completely, it really allows you to see what a non-entity she is on stage. She's never had much stage presence, which is odd since she's known as such a Broadway diva. Go see Bernadette, Patti, Chita, Liza, etc. on stage and they could literally just stand there all night and not speak and you'd still find them captivating. Betty never really had that.

by Anonymousreply 250March 16, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote]The Humans is only retaining one member of the theater cast- Jane Houdyshell. I thought she was the weakest link and did not understand her casting, let alone her Tony award. The performance was nothing to write home about, and she was about 15 years too old for the role. She could have played the girls' grandmother. Also did not buy her and Reed Birney as a couple. Hell, she could have played his mother.

Are you nearsighted or on drugs? Jane Houdyshell does NOT look old enough to be Reed Birney's mother. They look like they are roughly the same age, and in reality, she is almost exactly one year older than him. And they were both of appropriate age to play the young women's parents.

[quote]I'm fairly certain Chita was the one who wanted to give Liza "My Own Best Friend." She felt like Liza didn't really have a number to showcase her voice (Roxie really isn't a tough sing and is basically in Carol Channing keys) so this song seemed like the best bet. Plus, maybe she was tired and was happy to have a little extra break.

It's always been my understanding that "My Own Best Friend" was originally intended as a solo for Roxie but Verdon couldn't handle it alone, not with the shape her voice was in at that point.

[quote]I want to take my two nieces (aged 7 and 9) to a bway show. They’ve seen The Lion King and Wicked and loved them. Would King Kong be too scary?

Only if they'd be horrified by the godawful book, music and lyrics.

{quote]To me personally, it felt like JERSEY BOYS was the one that inspired this recent trend of jukebox musicals. It was an international smash and won the Tony for Best Musical. Of course, producers wanted to emulate that success.

I think the worldwide smash-hit piece of crap MAMMA MIA! can be credited (debited?) with inspiring the general trend of jukebox musicals, although JB may certainly have spurred the increased number of the more specific genre of bio musicals.

by Anonymousreply 251March 16, 2019 8:26 PM

"I think Ain't Misbehaving was the first successful one."

But that's because AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' had an idea in its head and was actually about something, unlike most silly jukebox shows that have come down the pike since then--they are the sum of their parts, no more, no less. Which, come to think of it, holds true for just about every new musical since then as well. Which is fine if all you want is a "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" kind of theatre and not a jot more. But if you're looking for metaphor...? Forget it.

by Anonymousreply 252March 16, 2019 8:36 PM

Of the Title of Show 4, Heidi has stayed busy with stage work. She was an excellent in the Encores Most Happy Fella. Susan has popped up in small roles on TV and in movies. Hunter has been busy eating. And Jeff is being fucked by Michael Berresse.

Jeff wins.

by Anonymousreply 253March 16, 2019 8:49 PM

Buckley's voice has always been rather steeley, even way back to the recordings of "1776" and "Promises, Promises". It has power, but it doesn't have warmth. Merman had warmth to her big voice and in her personality, plus a lot of New York street smarts and moxie, which was prized back then. I actually liked Buckley in the films "Carrie" and "Tender Mercies". I think she real pushes her voice too much on stage and comes off as a bit too much, even though its a fine instrument basically.

by Anonymousreply 254March 16, 2019 9:00 PM

Buckley does tend to fare better on film and TV. There's a warmth to her that's not present on stage. It's quite strange. She really isn't cut out for those big, brassy musical comedy dame roles. She was a lousy, charm-free Desiree in that BBC radio version of A Little Night Music; a cold and unfunny Mama Rose in Gypsy; and a slightly warmer, but still unfunny Dolly in Hello Dolly.

It's not unusual for big film and TV stars to star in a Broadway show and turn out to have zero stage presence, but for someone to be known as mostly a big Broadway performer and have zero stage presence, that's pretty odd. I guess you could say Buckley is mostly known for Eight is Enough or the original Carrie, though.

by Anonymousreply 255March 16, 2019 9:26 PM

I feel like I am not allowed to say this out loud (I am SO brave right now, I know) but I don’t get Hamilton. I love Broadway so I’ve actually worked hard at understanding it but I don’t get its success. I mean, it’s ok. I just do t understand why it is special.

by Anonymousreply 256March 16, 2019 9:30 PM

You're not the only one --but we don't pay for PR to get our viewpoint across.

by Anonymousreply 257March 16, 2019 9:43 PM

I actually loved Summer.

It was only then that I understood the appeal of jukebox musicals—they’re great only of you’re were a fan of the singer or group portrayed.

I saw Jersey Boys too but just didn’t care

by Anonymousreply 258March 16, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]Who knows what he (and the other three) are up to nowadays?

Uh ... well, the TOS reunion concert last week, for one. There were several comments, and a picture, upthread.

by Anonymousreply 259March 16, 2019 9:58 PM

R256 CONGRATULATIONS. You have a brain. Be proud. It's very rare these days.

by Anonymousreply 260March 16, 2019 9:59 PM

Betty Grable really holds her own with Gwen Verdon as far as dancing goes in that clip. Was she otherwise known as a dancer? I was surprised at how adept she was, even in middle age like that.

by Anonymousreply 261March 16, 2019 10:08 PM

Betty was always a song and dance girl, r261. She was also very fond of Gwen. Gwen was Jack Cole's assistant and would teach Betty the routines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 16, 2019 10:50 PM

Grable was basically a hoofer from the time she was a 14 year old Goldwyn Girl in 1930. There is a 1935 clip on YouTube of her tapping on her tip toes (one of the most brutally painful things a dancer can do). But her dance numbers at Fox are mostly uninspired (even those choreographed by Hermes Pan) and it was only when Jack Cole and his assistant Gwen Verdon came to the studio in 1950 did Grable have something interesting to do. Cole was a brutal taskmaster and Grable pointedly told him to 'Forget I'm the star. Be as tough on me as you would any gypsy." Cole and Verdon drove her hard in rehearsals and Grable loved it. Both Cole and Verdon adored her, and Grable was responsible for Verdon getting billing in the number in r219's post.

Fox being Fox, they reunited Grable, Cole and Verdon in the godawful THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE which as takes place in the 1850s-60s gives none of them any opportunity to really cut loose - the only bright spot (aside from some nice Arlen-Fields songs) is Grable and Verdon in pork-pie hats and jeans dancing on a riverboat with pie-plates on their feet and voguing in pseudo-'Indian' moves. Inexplicably the number has never turned up on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 263March 16, 2019 11:04 PM

Hamilton is truly a work of genius—the fact that the script and the music came out of the head of one person is pretty amazing.

Can you imagine—the story of Hamilton told in hip hop rhymes?? Incredibly original idea

by Anonymousreply 264March 16, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote] And you are blind and deaf. That braying cow was a monstrosity in Hello, Dolly.

Excuse me, I'm offended.

by Anonymousreply 265March 16, 2019 11:19 PM

Moooo

by Anonymousreply 266March 16, 2019 11:19 PM

r246: very astute observation about [title of show]. Hunter is a doll. From what I can tell he he has pretty much stopped performing to concentrate on writing, so he's gone full bear. I love Heidi - she deserves to be a full-fledged Broadway star. It was great to see her in the Disney channel FREAKY FRIDAY.

by Anonymousreply 267March 16, 2019 11:21 PM

".....dancing with pie-plates on their feet....."

That gives me an idea!

by Anonymousreply 268March 16, 2019 11:26 PM

Jersey Boys is still running off-Broadway, in a national tour, a UK tour and in Australia.

$$$$$$$

by Anonymousreply 269March 16, 2019 11:27 PM

Mary Birdsong, Capathia Jenkins and Nicole Parker were all fabulous, as good if not better than Brooks Ashmanskas in Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me.

The weak link was Martin Short.

by Anonymousreply 270March 16, 2019 11:30 PM

Trash can lids!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271March 16, 2019 11:30 PM

I guess I just don’t find hip hop rhymes especially interesting. I think it is juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 272March 16, 2019 11:41 PM

it is juvenile

by Anonymousreply 273March 16, 2019 11:46 PM

How can Jersey Boys make any money off-Broadway? It’s not a big show, by Broadway standards, but by off-Broadway metrics, its breakeven must be massive, if not unreachable.

by Anonymousreply 274March 16, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote]r11 Guare once sold me his house seats to SIX DEGREES when I was in the cancellation line at Lincoln Center. Seemed very affable--he said, "It should be good, as Stockard is back in it." That's all I got.

A friend of mine when a young actress approached him reverently at a party, and said sincerely, "I am a HUGE fan of yours."

He smiled and said, "Well, you seem to be rather petite, to me!"

by Anonymousreply 275March 16, 2019 11:53 PM

[quote]r34 When did these theatre boards get so angry?

It's really just one troll. No one in their right mind really has objections to diversified casting.

Diane Weist had a black costar in her HEDDA GABLER. And that was all the way back in the 80s or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276March 17, 2019 12:05 AM

I had the biggest crush on Hunter Bell after Title I’d Show. I totally would have dated him. Is he single now?

by Anonymousreply 277March 17, 2019 12:09 AM

I’d say he’s double.

by Anonymousreply 278March 17, 2019 12:12 AM

R276 Oh jog on Mr Loon

by Anonymousreply 279March 17, 2019 12:12 AM

Just not getting all the Hunter Bell love but then I've never seen him perform.

by Anonymousreply 280March 17, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote]I want to take my two nieces (aged 7 and 9) to a bway show. They’ve seen The Lion King and Wicked and loved them.

Would King Kong be too scary?

Only to their developing sense of aesthetics.

by Anonymousreply 281March 17, 2019 12:27 AM

Bell was an otter when I saw him in that show. He was just so cute. When he ripped in his shirt to show off that beary chest, wow!

by Anonymousreply 282March 17, 2019 12:33 AM

I honestly don't think most people have any issues with colorblind casting. It's been done for a long time. I think people are sick of the idiots who'll post an announcement about a white actor getting cast in a role and Tweeting something like "Really? An actor of color couldn't have been cast in this role?" I mean, what's that going to accomplish? It seems like gross race baiting for no reason. And it's usually white people complaining about this the most to make them appear more woke. It's just plain tacky.

I understand if it's a role that's been historically played by actors of color, but when it's just like a random Marvel movie or a revival of Sweet Charity or something, who gives a fuck? Calm down. I'm not a big fan of this "we want change right this second and if we don't get it, we're going to make you look like a monster on Twitter" society we're living in. Not everything is racist or homophobic or transphobic or bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 283March 17, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote]It's really just one troll. No one in their right mind really has objections to diversified casting.

R276 you're oversimplifying the argument. It's not just one person. I'm one, too. I'm sure there are several here. There certainly are in my real life. We do not object to non-traditional casting, but we resent being forced to diversify every show for the sake of inclusion, regardless of talent. Why is traditional casting of a classic show such a bad thing?

Also, we see it as hypocritical when shows like HAMILTON and THE LION KING can have all/mostly black cast, especially the former, but God forbid someone wants to cast the MUSIC MAN or MY FAIR LADY as the creators intended.

by Anonymousreply 284March 17, 2019 12:51 AM

What say you, DL? Could Sally Kellerman been a good Phyllis in her day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285March 17, 2019 1:03 AM

Kellerman was too flaky for Phyll.

by Anonymousreply 286March 17, 2019 1:05 AM

Doesn't Heidi H make a nice penny from Book of Mormon despite never appearing in it on Broadway? (There's also a rumor that Bebe makes some % of grosses of Wicked, but I think that was a joke that spiraled out of control).

by Anonymousreply 287March 17, 2019 1:06 AM

That Sally Kellerman clip was better than I expected. She actually got some laughs out of the number. That's more than I've seen from a lot of other people who have sung the song or played the role.

by Anonymousreply 288March 17, 2019 1:08 AM

I think that blind casting is great but agree it needs to make sense for the piece. Just slapping a whole lot of people on a play for diversity's sake makes no sense.

It would never in a billion years happen, but years ago I saw a production of West Side Story where Maria was played by an actress that only a small number of people knew was an MTF trans woman. She was very, very good, and it got me thinking about how making Maria trans in the text could make the dramatic stakes bigger - but only if it were done very subtly, without changing much of the text.

by Anonymousreply 289March 17, 2019 1:10 AM

I'm tired of the productions that are turning roles into non-white just because of color blind casting. From now on, Stella in Follies will always be played by a black woman. For no other reason than they need a black woman in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 290March 17, 2019 1:21 AM

FFS no to a trans Maria. The piece is about a young girl from Puerto Rico falling in love with a young American man. Nothing else. Period.

by Anonymousreply 291March 17, 2019 1:34 AM

r291 And Moby Dick is just about a whale.

r291 is Matt the Loon and is just trying to derail this board. Shouldn't you go back to praying to Marilyn Monroe or watching Disney Movies or whatever other Loon-y things you do? Just leave this board alone.

by Anonymousreply 292March 17, 2019 1:39 AM

Sally wasn't terrible at R285.

But she's no ME.

by Anonymousreply 293March 17, 2019 1:48 AM

The Michael in the bathroom scene is Tony worthy

by Anonymousreply 294March 17, 2019 1:48 AM

Ok. Which one of you bitches is tormenting Broadway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 17, 2019 2:22 AM

r274 it's scaled back pretty punily off Bway

by Anonymousreply 296March 17, 2019 2:22 AM

I saw "Gary" today and all I will say is thank God it's only 95 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 297March 17, 2019 2:42 AM

All I want to do is poop in an audition room.

by Anonymousreply 298March 17, 2019 2:43 AM

[quote]Doesn't Heidi H make a nice penny from Book of Mormon despite never appearing in it on Broadway?

I realize this may seem silly to some but I have always refused to see "Book of Mormon" because I've always felt that its creators, the two "South Park" guys, are really Rethug douchebags and I have no interest in giving my money to them. I admit the clips I've seen over the years have always looked interesting but not enough to make me change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 299March 17, 2019 2:47 AM

You're missing out for no good reason, R299. It's a super show from note one.

by Anonymousreply 300March 17, 2019 2:52 AM

Technically, they're "libertarians," R299. Or at least they were. And yes, huge douchebags, even if they claim to be super gay-friendly.

But insanely rich douchebags, thanks to South Park. Your ticket is like spit in the ocean.

What is this Heidi H story? Can someone provide details?

by Anonymousreply 301March 17, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote]r284 It's not just one person. I'm one, too. I'm sure there are several here. There certainly are in my real life. We do not object to non-traditional casting, but we resent being forced to diversify every show for the sake of inclusion.

You REALLY sit around with your friends offline and devote conversations to the "extremism" of minority performers being cast more?

That's simply pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 302March 17, 2019 3:13 AM

When literally 80 percent of breakdowns call for "diverse only" then yes, it is extremism.

by Anonymousreply 303March 17, 2019 3:16 AM

And by "your friends offline," I suspect we really mean all the screaming voices inside the racist poster's head.

Please go away, tiresome, racist loon(s). You make everyone and everything.... sad.

by Anonymousreply 304March 17, 2019 3:16 AM

Who is Heidi H? Do you mean Heidi Blickenstaff?

by Anonymousreply 305March 17, 2019 3:22 AM

Heidi Heidi Ho

by Anonymousreply 306March 17, 2019 3:33 AM

No, he means Heidi Ho

by Anonymousreply 307March 17, 2019 3:33 AM

Has anyone else watched the Tony ceremony in R216? I'm struck by the cryptolesbian intertextuality of it all. We have Mary Martin fake-pouting flirtily with Ms. Cyril Ritchard because the erstwhile Caption Hook didn't express his delight at discovering that Our Mary was really a "lady," not a little boy (Peter Pan)--he seems distinctly uncomfortable with the banter. Then, Best Costumes in a Musical is given to gay, dead Adrian for Cumalot and soft butch Julie Andrews accepts for him, remarking TST she wishes that night she were Janet Gaynor. "That could be arranged," Mrs. Halliday no doubt thought to herself. Imagine THAt after party!

by Anonymousreply 308March 17, 2019 3:40 AM

[quote]We see it as hypocritical when shows like HAMILTON and THE LION KING can have all/mostly black cast, especially the former, but God forbid someone wants to cast the MUSIC MAN or MY FAIR LADY as the creators intended.

It's overtly hypocritical when some people claim -- as some people do -- that color-blind casting is casting based on talent alone, regardless of race, yet they only accept color-blind casting in one direction and would (rightfully) never accept white performers in A RAISIN IN THE SUN or PORGY AND BESS or August Wilson's plays. Because the real reason for color-blind or diverse casting or whatever you want to call it is to give roles to people of color who for decades were denied work because roles were not written for people of their races and ethnicities, because those races and ethnicities were not part of the mainstream. Many people would say that's an excellent reason for casting people of color cast in roles that would only be played by whites if you're going to be historically realistic about it, others would say it's not a good reason at all. But whether it's a good reason or a bad reason, we all should at least be honest about it, because it IS the true reason.

by Anonymousreply 309March 17, 2019 4:04 AM

I'm going to shit in the Lion King lobby.....bahahahahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 310March 17, 2019 4:19 AM

Does any person here really believe that Taylor Mac 'N Cheese (heavy on the cheese) does the whole "judy is my pronoun" thing to make a serious point? I always thought he was being a smartass and poking fun at those who would write something like "Taylor is simply shifting the tables, so that people who are used to being in the norm have to experience their own fragility."

by Anonymousreply 311March 17, 2019 4:18 AM

I like to refer to myself as "Judy" at home in the company of some dear friends from the theatre.

What of it?

by Anonymousreply 312March 17, 2019 4:32 AM

I prefer to call myself Mary.

by Anonymousreply 313March 17, 2019 4:54 AM

r311 That's indeed exactly why he does it, and he has explained it in interviews. Taylor (has said) [judy] actually doesn't care what pronoun people call Taylor, but thinks its weird that people get so worked up over being asked to change a simple pronoun and these angered people always react by rolling their eyes. Taylors response was, well if they are going to roll their eyes anyway I might as well make them roll their eyes while saying JUDY! just so they look queer while doing it.

And it was me that typed Heidi H when I meant to type Heidi B. Heidi Blickenstaff gets royalties from Book of Mormon even though she never appeared in the show on Broadway. She was originally going to be the mom, but the part was reduced from a 2 song part to a no song part, and then she got injured right before the show opened so she dropped out entirely. Since she had a workshop contract she gets a %! I wouldn't be surprised if she never has to work again if she didn't want to.

by Anonymousreply 314March 17, 2019 5:06 AM

Thanks for the explanation, R314.

Heidi is old enough to play the Mom? Good lord.

Well, good for her for getting a piece of that fat pie.

by Anonymousreply 315March 17, 2019 5:09 AM

Just had a nightmare that the film version of Cats would actually be good. Even with JHud shrieking her way through “Memory” with those bug eyes of hers.

by Anonymousreply 316March 17, 2019 5:18 AM

Aaron Tveit's possible Tony win next season will not happen now that Hugh Michael Jackman has been announced to star in The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 317March 17, 2019 5:27 AM

R317, hugh’s electric affability and long dedication and devotion to Broadway and its community will make it near-impossible for dour, scowling less-politically-connected Tveit to win the Tony away from him, especially when the entire audience will be comparing him and his co-star to Kidman and MacGregor. It’s the same thing that happened to him in Carch Me if You Can. It’s incredibly difficult and very undesirable to play the stage sloppy-second to a major movie star. You can never really measure up. You’re second, no matter how you look at it. Jackman’s predecessor has been deceased for more than a generation. DiCaprio and MacGregor are still alive and well and frankly, much more captivating.

by Anonymousreply 318March 17, 2019 5:41 AM

R318, add to that Tveit’s inevitable and already present chip on the shoulder, expecting to win and Hugh’s breezy nonchalance (he’s got two already) and people are just going to want to give Hugh a third. And in this troubling era of Trump the candy optimism of Music Man vs the depressing starkness of moulin rouge will make Hugh a welcome breath of joy and fresh air which he could handily ride to a big win. TV audiences will tune in to watch. Broadway should thank God for Hugh. And voters will thank Hugh for coming back to Broadway. He’s the most likable, bankable male star to grace Broadway in a generation.

by Anonymousreply 319March 17, 2019 5:47 AM

It's not racist to question out of control implicit exclusion of white actors for most casting done these days.

by Anonymousreply 320March 17, 2019 6:05 AM

R320, if that’s true, it’s Broadway’s loss. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 321March 17, 2019 6:13 AM

[quote] Aaron Tveit's possible Tony win next season will not happen now that Hugh Michael Jackman has been announced to star in The Music Man.

Hugh Jackman's Music Man opens in the 2020-2021 season. Aaron Tveit in Moulin Rouge! is the 2019-2020 season. They won't be competing against each other.

[quote] And it was me that typed Heidi H when I meant to type Heidi B. Heidi Blickenstaff gets royalties from Book of Mormon even though she never appeared in the show on Broadway. She was originally going to be the mom, but the part was reduced from a 2 song part to a no song part, and then she got injured right before the show opened so she dropped out entirely.

She wasn't injured. The part was eliminated during the final workshop prior to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 322March 17, 2019 7:49 AM

I can’t remember Sondheim’s exact comment, but when Title of Show first appeared, he said something like he didn’t think too much of shows that were so self-referential. Not sure if that was the word he used, but I guess he meant a show that is basically about itself.

by Anonymousreply 323March 17, 2019 8:37 AM

If the part was eliminated during the final workshop, why do they still have to pay her every week? That doesn't seem right.

by Anonymousreply 324March 17, 2019 10:40 AM

[quote]people are just going to want to give Hugh a third.

Now hold on just a minute. Let's not go overboard.

by Anonymousreply 325March 17, 2019 10:41 AM

I'm into the close analyses of BB, but what's interesting is none of them mention Sunset, where she did actually give a really layered, psychologically rich performance that combined with her power belting of the songs ... that doesn't change the argument about her lack of humor or warmth but it does complicate the thesis that she has never been effective on stage

by Anonymousreply 326March 17, 2019 10:45 AM

Actually, it was Smokey Joe's Cafe which is responsible for the jukebox musical craze.

by Anonymousreply 327March 17, 2019 12:57 PM

r310 don't worry they'll think it was the elephant

by Anonymousreply 328March 17, 2019 12:58 PM

Tveit has a great voice and a lot of charisma but he and Olivo (who is wonderful in the role) have no chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 329March 17, 2019 1:21 PM

R329, She's also 7 years older than him and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 330March 17, 2019 1:43 PM

r314: Yes, thank you for that. That's great dish and I'm delighted for Heidi.

by Anonymousreply 331March 17, 2019 1:50 PM

What did Hugh get a Tony for besides "The Boy From Oz"?

by Anonymousreply 332March 17, 2019 2:06 PM

He won a Special Award in 2012 for reasons I can't remember. Probably for his one-man show.

by Anonymousreply 333March 17, 2019 2:23 PM

For those advocating for a white Harold Hill and an African American Marion, please give the following some thought. The Music Man is set in River City, Iowa, in 1912. That would be the same year that the following African Americans were lynched for the alleged rape of white women: 1/13/1912 Albert Hamilton 2/4/1912 Charlie Powell 4/24/1912 Henry Etheridge 10/5/1912 Babe Yarborough Tell me again why "representation" matters more than historical context? Don't you do the memories of those who were persecuted and murdered for inter-racial "crimes" an injustice by erasing the hate that existed and pretending that this was a perfect world where everyone just got along and didn't see skin color as an issue. Hopefully, in 2019, we have evolved from where we were at in 1912 but changing history to suit the social justice needs of theatrical casting may actually do more harm than good.

by Anonymousreply 334March 17, 2019 2:25 PM

I didn't realize that The Music Man doesn't open this coming October, but the following one. Is that right?

Wow! That's a long time away. Who knows what'll happen by then? No wonder they're not announcing a Marian or supporting cast now.

How stupid were the producers of King Kong to wait to open their Moulin Rouge next season so as not to compete with KK? As if KK was ever going to be Tony-worthy? Moulin Rouge would have swept every category this season except Best Score.

by Anonymousreply 335March 17, 2019 2:30 PM

Although perhaps Moulin Rouge would have lost Best Costume Design to Cher and Best Set Design to Beetlejuice.

by Anonymousreply 336March 17, 2019 2:31 PM

I can't believe people on here are saying white people are being excluded from casting when ONE role in a show is going to a POC (mostly a black person) and white people have and continue to prevent any kind of diversity in ANYTHING. Now THAT is fucking LOONEY. Haha. Wypipo got some deep, dark rooted issues man. Let me tell you. They want it ALL. R321 is really lamenting the loss of white people on Broadway. lmao. You can't make this stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 337March 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Has anyone seen Gary yet? I hear it's one big fart joke and has some dancing penises.

by Anonymousreply 338March 17, 2019 2:31 PM

And Aaron Tveit has no charisma. That's why he's not a star. How do you play Danny Zuko in Grease:Live and still only have 290k followers. haha. And that was three years ago! LAUGHABLE. He is a medicore talent at best. Not good looking either.

by Anonymousreply 339March 17, 2019 2:35 PM

They didn't put Kristin Neilson's name up in lights like they did for Andrea Martin before she left the show because of her accident.

by Anonymousreply 340March 17, 2019 2:36 PM

R340 If they did, let's hope they would have spelled it correctly (unlike you).

by Anonymousreply 341March 17, 2019 2:44 PM

Oops :)

by Anonymousreply 342March 17, 2019 2:55 PM

[quote]r318 It’s incredibly difficult and very undesirable to play sloppy-second to a major movie star.

Tell me about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343March 17, 2019 2:56 PM

Betty Buckley was also good in Triumph Of Love: a sort of serious role with singing opportunities, perfect for her.

by Anonymousreply 344March 17, 2019 3:00 PM

Anyone discussing race casting or loon or whatever are blocked. You are all incredibly tiresome and annoying. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 345March 17, 2019 3:01 PM

Good point that Moulin Rouge probably would win Best Musical if it had opened this season. This year is very weak. The nominees will be The Prom, Hadestown, Tootsie, and one other. I would have said Ain’t Too Proud but it’s gotten lukewarm comments so the reviews maybe the same. Maybe Beetlejuice, possibly The Cher Show.

I think any of the first three could win.

by Anonymousreply 346March 17, 2019 3:10 PM

Just a month and a half until the nominations come out.

by Anonymousreply 347March 17, 2019 3:16 PM

Yeah, Aaron Tveit is definitely NOT good looking. Great point.

by Anonymousreply 348March 17, 2019 3:41 PM

R345 = The Tiresome Troll. It has been announced that she is blocking people! Everyone take heed. How about, if you can't take the heat then get out of the damn kitchen. This is grown folks conversation. R345 is the kinda person that runs away from a debate covering their ears. haha. Like a child. Grow up baby or maybe stay off social media. You're obviously too sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 349March 17, 2019 3:49 PM

[quote] Even with JHud shrieking her way through “Memory” with those bug eyes of hers.

Haven't you heard? Bug eyes are "in" this season!

by Anonymousreply 350March 17, 2019 4:02 PM

What happened to the shit after the guy (?) defecated at the audition? Is it being kept somewhere as evidence? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 351March 17, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote]For those advocating for a white Harold Hill and an African American Marion, please give the following some thought.

Please STFU. You are beyond tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 352March 17, 2019 4:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353March 17, 2019 4:31 PM

Thanks, 353. I have never heard a note of 'starlight Express' before - now I know why. What a stinkeroo!

Hard to believe anyone took it seriously, even back in the empty-headed '80s.

by Anonymousreply 354March 17, 2019 5:08 PM

GARY will run because of Nathan Lane. I haven't seen it but whatever Lane does, there is an audience to watch it. Nathan Lane is one of the few bankable Broadway names. Also, I understand why Kristine would want to stay below the title and slide into that supporting Tony she has deserved for years.

I have a hunch the non tradiional casting troll is Leen Dweik

Btw, are there any really solid smaller to mid sized ny agencies anymore? Who are the really good small to mid size ones? Any insight? Some of the usual suspects seem to have fallen off in the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 355March 17, 2019 5:42 PM

Is the poop in the audition story from another thread? can't seem to find it. TIA

How is it GARY is allowed to have a chorus of men unbilled? They must be equity.

What is the followup on the Jeff L story from Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 356March 17, 2019 5:44 PM

[quote]. I haven't seen it but whatever Lane does, there is an audience to watch it.

There's simply no accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 357March 17, 2019 5:46 PM

Please don't engage the racist troll(s).

If you ignore her, she'll be forced to argue with herself, and the grownups can carry on in peace.

by Anonymousreply 358March 17, 2019 5:53 PM

Reading a bio of Gower Champion, and I was surprised to learn that Kaye Ballard had been offered the role of Rose in the first national tour of Gypsy. She turned it down to do Carnival. She would have been an interesting Rose.

by Anonymousreply 359March 17, 2019 6:00 PM

Kaye did play Rose later in Texas with Jack Cassidy and in California with Gavin MacLeod.

by Anonymousreply 360March 17, 2019 6:07 PM

[quote] How do you play Danny Zuko in Grease:Live and still only have 290k followers. haha. And that was three years ago! LAUGHABLE. He is a medicore talent at best.

r339 are followers a measure of talent? Is the number of McDonald's burgers sold a measure of quality? We're so fucked as a culture.

by Anonymousreply 361March 17, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote]I have a hunch the non tradiional casting troll is Leen Dweik

Leen Dweik IS Marian Paroo!

by Anonymousreply 362March 17, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote] Leen Dweik IS Marian Paroo!

Hilarious. A SJW production of "The Music PERSON"

by Anonymousreply 363March 17, 2019 6:19 PM

Or we could invited Glenda Jackson when she is finished with King Lear to do a mashup of 'The Music Man" with "The Music Lovers", but I don't think it'll be a pretty sight, as it was quite a bit too much back then. But she is in NY right now.

by Anonymousreply 364March 17, 2019 6:27 PM

Well Bobbi Adler already played Professor Carol Hill.

by Anonymousreply 365March 17, 2019 6:31 PM

Betty Buckley's best Broadway performance was definitely as either Norma in Sunset or Margaret in Carrie. Those tapped into her natural cold and humorless style and fit her voice like a glove. Even as great as she was in Sunset, there was an element of fun missing. For example, after "With One Luck", just about every other Norma I've seen would get a huge laugh with "Now, go!" Betty never did. She really doesn't have a funny bone in her body.

I know she goes to see a shrink and discusses all her roles with them and gets a psychological analysis of all the characters. I think this might take the fun out and make the performances so cold and clinical.

Some actors just can't do comedy. There are really wonderful dramatic actors who can't pull it off. It's one of those gifts you're just born with. I don't think you can learn how to be funny. I remember hearing some interview with her about Dolly and how she was so excited about how she'd be learning to be funny now that she's going to be surrounded by masters of comedy and I thought "oy! If only it were possible for it to rub off on you, Betty. If only."

by Anonymousreply 366March 17, 2019 6:44 PM

I hate social media for making it seem like there's some huge liberal conspiracy to make sure white actors never work again. There were - what - two casting calls that wanted a diverse cast and, all of a sudden, that means the evil ol' SJWs are taking over the great white way.

Yes, there are always going to be the idiots who'll Tweet shit like "Hugh Jackman as Harold Hill? Why couldn't it have gone to an actor of color? Broadway is racist!" Here's the thing - 5 people pay attention to them. No one gives a shit what their opinion is. Half of the time, they're people would wouldn't even go see the show or movie they're bitching about. They're doing it simply for attention and we need to stop giving them power or fearing that their wrath has the power to close a show or make a film bomb at the box office. They don't have that power. They're like the Westboro Baptist Church of the left and everyone knows they're nutty and should just be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 367March 17, 2019 6:48 PM

Hopefully Hugh doesn't try to sustain those long "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ri-an" in "Marian the Librian" with a vibrato, or the "Now in moonlight" etc. section of that song.. Or try to over-sing when he comes in on "Tiill There was You., and the few lines of "Goodnight, My Someone". Those are the main lyrical parts of Harold Hill's role. He'll be fine in the role, but he really thinks he's a much better singer than he is. It's more of an acting and dynamic presence kind of role with dance, so in those it should play to his strengths.

by Anonymousreply 368March 17, 2019 7:00 PM

"Now in the moonlight, a man could sing it", etc.

by Anonymousreply 369March 17, 2019 7:00 PM

r322 That's incorrect, at least according to both Blickenstaff and the production team. They had cut the second song before the last workshop, so it had been reduced to a non-singing role, but it was still a speaking part. Then, Heidi injured her calf and decided not to participate in the last workshop but the part had not been eliminated yet. It was in large part because she was absent that they decided to cut the role altogether based on mutual discussions (i.e. they weren't moving forward with her but they respectfully gave her an out).

The Bebe/Wicked rumor was that when they did the mock-ups for the Wicked poster art, the marketing team used Bebe Neuwirth's head shot to model the Wicked Witch's smile. I can actually believe this because if you look at Bebe's old head shots from the late nineties into the 2000's they do look amazingly like the wicked poster. When they decided to move forward with the whispering Glinda design, the marketing firm never went and changed the faces to try to match Kristin and Idina (they were finalized as the cast after the promo materials were already in development) and that's how they ended up with a Bebe Neuwirth smirk on the poster. There had been a rumor for years that Bebe got 0.01% of grosses or some silly random number. I think Bebe was only asked about the poster once in an interview and she gave a cryptic laugh as a response, but I can't imagine she's actually getting royalties for it.

by Anonymousreply 370March 17, 2019 7:08 PM

Do you think Rex Harrison, Julie Andrews and GB Shaw (or their estates) got royalties for their likenesses on the MFL Hirschfeld caricature that even now still appears on many graphic representations of the OBC? Do you think even Al Hirschfeld did?

Of course, Bebe got nothing for Wicked. That's absolutely ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 371March 17, 2019 7:21 PM

From the second I saw the poster I knew the smile was Bebe’s. And the one in the West End poster seemed modeled on Lucy Lawless.

by Anonymousreply 372March 17, 2019 7:21 PM

Who is Jeff L from Chicago (upthread)?

by Anonymousreply 373March 17, 2019 7:22 PM

One other interesting piece of news from the Gower Champion book. In 1970 he was all set to direct a movie of I Do, I Do with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. United Artists, the studio, pulled the plug at the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 374March 17, 2019 7:25 PM

People always complain about the fact that American audiences give standing ovations so often. But there is one good benefit of that. When they don’t stand, you know they’re very unhappy. Gary is the first show I’ve seen in quite a while that got no standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 375March 17, 2019 7:27 PM

Champion did only one movie and it was a flop. I wonder how he would have been doing a major musical movie.

by Anonymousreply 376March 17, 2019 7:32 PM

Gower Champion directed MY SIX LOVES and BANK SHOT.

by Anonymousreply 377March 17, 2019 7:41 PM

That's odd about Ballard being offered the first national of Gypsy because Ethel was from the beginning signed to tour Gypsy after it closed on Broadway. And she toured it for for 9 or 10 months, playing all the big cities through most of 1961. Maybe Kaye was offered one of the strippers?

According to OVRTUR, the second national opened while Ethel's company was still playing. Mitzi Green played Rose and it played smaller venues. And there was a regional tour in 1962 starring Betty Hutton.

by Anonymousreply 378March 17, 2019 7:49 PM

R378, I thought Mary McCarty also did that first tour.

by Anonymousreply 379March 17, 2019 7:52 PM

Champion was a major stock player during MGM's late Golden Age of musicals so there's no reason to think he wasn't paying attention back then and couldn't have directed successful musical films if the world and tastes hadn't changed so much in the 1960s.

His Broadway stagings of Carnival and The Happy Time were actually praised for their "cinematic" quality (whatever that was).

by Anonymousreply 380March 17, 2019 7:53 PM

Who the fuck was Mitzi Green?

by Anonymousreply 381March 17, 2019 8:03 PM

I did a little more checking, and according to her Times obit, McCarty did a road company of Gypsy. So I started checking OVRTUR in more detail, and she's listed as replacing Green in the second company. Nobody's listed as replacing Merman in the first.

And Ballard played Rose in the summer of 1962 in Dallas with Jack Cassidy as Herbie!

by Anonymousreply 382March 17, 2019 8:07 PM

Ballard did Gypsy in '62? Wow! She'd have been one of the younger Roses.

by Anonymousreply 383March 17, 2019 8:17 PM

r375 Gary got a standing ovation when I saw it (but Lifespan of a Fact did not). That being said, I imagine most of the people who bought tickets for previews or before any reviews came out are in for a nasty shock for how deliberately... queer and inspired by satyr plays the show is. I imagine audience reception will warm and ticket sales will cool after the reviews come out.

I thought it was terrific, but don't see how anyone could have thought premiering this show on broadway was a good idea. They should have taken it to Edinburgh or a Shakespeare fest where it would have gotten raves and developed a cult following before trying to mount a commercial production.

by Anonymousreply 384March 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Thanks, r216 for posting the 1961 Tonys. What a treat!! And all done in less than an hour but then the acceptance speeches were insanely abrupt and perfunctory. Most everyone simply said "thank you" without even mentioning a producer, writer, director or co-star.

Amazing how many winners were not present to accept, even those with shows currently running, like Dick Van Dyke in Bye Bye Birdie. What was up with that?? And yet there were so many huge theater stars among the presenters and sub-accepters.

by Anonymousreply 385March 17, 2019 8:31 PM

r371 No, but there's a huge difference, the producers of the OBC recording likely just purchased the rights to that cartoon. The issue as it was raised with Neuwirth was that it wasn't "inspired" by Bebe, they actually used a photograph they didn't have the rights to and used it for the artwork, in which case they WOULD have to pay a legal fee. If you are confused about how image copyright works, you should look at the AP vs Shepard Fairey lawsuit.

The implication with Wicked was that somebody threatened to sue for use of a copyrighted image (Bebe's headshot) and instead of dealing with the lawsuit, the producers promised a percentage of grosses to Bebe and the photographer. I agree this likely NEVER HAPPENED. But your post is needlessly hostile given that you don't seem to really understand the story.

by Anonymousreply 386March 17, 2019 8:32 PM

r345, I really doubt anyone cares about being blocked by you--or anyone, for that matter. Stop being such a child.

by Anonymousreply 387March 17, 2019 8:52 PM

r373, since you didn't link to the post it's difficult to know what you're talking about, but "Jeff L from Chicago" might be Jeff Loeffelholz, the standby Mary Sunshine who allegedly committed suicide last year because Walter Bobbie and the MD were mean to him.

by Anonymousreply 388March 17, 2019 8:59 PM

That whole Jeff situation never really made an impact on Chicago's profits, did it?

by Anonymousreply 389March 17, 2019 9:03 PM

I don't think he sold a lot of tickets, no.

by Anonymousreply 390March 17, 2019 9:06 PM

I don't think it had much impact at all outside his group of friends (although I guess the MD left). And that blog was just stirring shit.

by Anonymousreply 391March 17, 2019 9:37 PM

Betty is the only one who seems to look matronly in all the Dolly costumes, way more than Bette or Bernie (Donna is younger and slimmer so she doesn't count), is it her posture or something?

by Anonymousreply 392March 17, 2019 9:51 PM

R361 No, it's not a measure of talent but he's still only mediocre at it. Very bland. But he still has yet to gain a solid following. He can't even do that based on looks or personality. The only ones still giving him an opportunity are the white sissy gays of the theatre. After playing Danny Zuko he should have been trending and his followers shot through the roof. He's skin and bones with thick nasio labial folds and he's getting older everyday. Put a fork in him, he's DONE. Forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 393March 17, 2019 10:09 PM

And the Loonacy continues. Now it’s on an anti-Tveit tear. Mental illness on this level is really appalling.

by Anonymousreply 394March 17, 2019 10:16 PM

r386, I'm sorry if my post came off as hostile. I was simply trying to make sense of the story which, it seems, even you agree was questionable.

In the case of AP vs Shepard Fairey (if I'm understanding it correctly), the artist of the Obama image was successfully sued by the original photographer. Not by Obama. So I'm not getting the correlation of how Bebe could have thought she was due any money. Perhaps if I saw an image of the original Wicked poster that was supposedly based on Bebe's photo, I'd get it.

But my initial point, using the MFL art work, was to show how actors' images are often used in the selling of theatrical productions without the actors getting any compensation just for the use of their image (and often even without their approval).

by Anonymousreply 395March 17, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote] I thought Mary McCarty also did that first tour.

I knew someone who was one of the girls on that tour. Mitzi Green was diagnosed with cancer fairly early on the tour, and had to leave it for treatment. That’s when Mary McCarty took over. Green live for seven more years, but Gypsy was her last major job.

by Anonymousreply 396March 17, 2019 10:23 PM

R394 yeah yeah yeah. Anyone who disagrees with your beliefs is *LUNACY. Is this kindergarten? Not liking Aaron Tveit = Mental illness. Riiiiight. Do you hear yourself?

by Anonymousreply 397March 17, 2019 10:24 PM

I thought r394 said

[quote]Now its on an anti-Teyve tear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 17, 2019 10:26 PM

R395, I think the detail that you seem to miss is that Bebe Neuwirth was not involved with Wicked. Yes, producers can use and actors image to promote a play. I think they can even do it if the actor is no longer in the play (Ute Lemper was used in Chicago advertising long after she had left.) However, the issue with Wicked was the use of an actresses face, or a portion of it, when she was in no way connected to the show.

by Anonymousreply 399March 17, 2019 10:33 PM

Tveit is indeed the bland leading the bland ... nevertheless, r393, he's had more of a career than a zillion other chorusbois and standbys

by Anonymousreply 400March 17, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote]Not liking Aaron Tveit = Mental illness.

No, of course not. But carrying on about it over several posts, and trying to beat others into submission who don’t agree = classic Loon. Very reminiscent of the anti-Poppins, anti-Andrews garbage (inability to accept alternate opinions), which morphed into anti-Emily Blunt insanity when she took over as Poppins.

by Anonymousreply 401March 17, 2019 10:39 PM

Who's trying to beat others into submission? I was responding to someone. You just don't like it. Just stay out of it and/or add something of substance, other than name calling. And it was TWO posts. Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 402March 17, 2019 10:49 PM

I was right. You ARE the Loon.

by Anonymousreply 403March 17, 2019 10:51 PM

Here's the official Bway campaign art.

Do we see Bebe? Or not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404March 17, 2019 10:58 PM

OCR cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405March 17, 2019 10:59 PM

It isn't like Bebe is the only woman in the world with lips.

by Anonymousreply 406March 17, 2019 11:01 PM

I posted both images.

R405 says "Bebe" more clearly to me.

I find this story fascinating as I've never heard it before. Was Bebe ever seriously considered for Elphaba? Wouldn't she have been a bit old for the part? Or did she just inspire the illustrator?

I might have based the witch on a younger Patti, but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 407March 17, 2019 11:02 PM

R403 oh gosh. haha. Once again, you aren't saying anything but name calling. Use your brain. Use your words. You're like Amber Von Tussle. "Look everyone it's the loon! I was RIGHT". YUCK. I feel sorry for anyone who has to interact with you. Assuming you have friends, but I have strong feeling you don't. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 408March 17, 2019 11:06 PM

Recently saw The Ferryman— Wow! Such wonderful writing and acting. It will win Best Play

by Anonymousreply 409March 17, 2019 11:17 PM

BEBE'S A WHORE!

LOCK 'ER UP!

by Anonymousreply 410March 17, 2019 11:22 PM

12 year old Mitzi Green.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411March 17, 2019 11:26 PM

This link has the best comparison:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412March 17, 2019 11:25 PM

Mitzi Green does a nice job with Mitzi Gaynor and cute Richard Allan in BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413March 17, 2019 11:33 PM

Mitzi Green also introduced "The Lady Is A Tramp" and "My Funny Valentine" in BABES IN ARMS (1937).

by Anonymousreply 414March 17, 2019 11:40 PM

"Where Or When," too.

by Anonymousreply 415March 17, 2019 11:45 PM

In this short-lived TV series from 1955, Mitzi Green and Virginia Gibson play Hollywood stunt women.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416March 17, 2019 11:48 PM

R382, I should think Jack Cassidy would be an odd choice to play Herbie. Too good looking and too good a singer, especially compared to Jack Klugman.

The following year, he would be on Broadway ideally cast in She Loves Me and winning a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 417March 17, 2019 11:52 PM

....also too slick for Herbie. Klugman had that lovable schlub thing going on ("Aw, Rose").

by Anonymousreply 418March 17, 2019 11:55 PM

Maybe Jack played Tulsa?

by Anonymousreply 419March 18, 2019 12:05 AM

Richard Allan was a hottie! He was a Fox contract player and appeared opposite Marilyn Monroe in Niagara as her illicit lover and also partnered Susan Hayward in the big title tune dance from With a Song in My Heart. You know, the dance where her bodice slipped down to reveal her left tit but they left it in anyway, thinking generations of gay men wouldn't catch it.

by Anonymousreply 420March 18, 2019 12:09 AM

The Elphaba in R405’s post looks like Lucy Lawless to me. Which seems like good subliminal advertising.

by Anonymousreply 421March 18, 2019 12:18 AM

I'm sorry. I'm still laughing at the suggestion that Bebe was ever attached as Elphaba in Wicked. Have you heard that bitch sing? Her Defying Gravity would have been a laugh riot. She's got a tiny range and even that can be unpleasant at times. Not that Menzel has the most beautiful voice in the world...

by Anonymousreply 422March 18, 2019 12:23 AM

Better than Mitzi Green, Mitzi Gaynor and Richard Allan's Got a Feelin' You're Foolin" is the original version in MGM's Broadway Melody of 1936 with handsome Robert Taylor, who acquits himself quite admirably.

I don't know who that blonde is but she's spectacular!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423March 18, 2019 12:39 AM

I can't imagine how a legal case could ever be made for Bebe and her lips on the Wicked poster when only half of the face is seen, even if her lips are an exact match.

by Anonymousreply 424March 18, 2019 12:43 AM

r422 I'm sorry your reading comprehension is so poor that you don't understand that NOBODY has once claimed Bebe was attached to Wicked. You also probably think The original title for Anything Goes was Anyth Goes, but they changed in previews.

by Anonymousreply 425March 18, 2019 12:54 AM

June Knight, r423......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426March 18, 2019 12:58 AM

[quote][R382], I should think Jack Cassidy would be an odd choice to play Herbie.

Exactly, that's why I put an exclamation mark at the end of that sentence.

by Anonymousreply 427March 18, 2019 1:14 AM

[quote]r420 ...also partnered Susan Hayward in the big title tune dance from With a Song in My Heart.

Wasn't there an all male version, [italic]With a Cock in My Ass[/italic]

??

by Anonymousreply 428March 18, 2019 1:23 AM

R424, Andrew Rannells has said he never received a dime for being the figure on the Mormon poster.

by Anonymousreply 429March 18, 2019 1:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430March 18, 2019 1:26 AM

I love that number r423 . It's unusual that Fox would pick as fairly obscure MGM song to showcase in one of their much later musicals (though its it's much less weird than Fox using an instrumental version of "Over The Rainbow" in I WAKE UP SCREAMING (1942). The distinctive orchestration for the MGM number was done by Alfred Newman, who established the sound of Fox musicals from the 1930s on.

Thanks for bringing up June Knight, who I looked up on IMDB. She did only a few more films for MGM and retired in 1940.

by Anonymousreply 431March 18, 2019 1:28 AM

They eventually removed Rannells from the BOM artwork and commercials after a lot of unflattering discussion about the situation. It's a recurring conversation when original stars leave and they are still featured in promotions. And the famous MFL Hirschfeld poster was eventually modified to replace the faces of Harrison and Andrews with more generic faces for the replacement casts and national tour. I still have my souvenir program from the first national with the modified poster as its cover.

by Anonymousreply 432March 18, 2019 1:33 AM

You see, there can actually be some fairly interesting discussion on this thread (if not gossip) when posters behave and contribute smart thoughts. Please keep them coming and just ignore posts you don't find worthy.

by Anonymousreply 433March 18, 2019 1:39 AM

I find it interesting that Beautiful features Chilina Kennedy's face in its ad campaign now. How would that appeal to ticket buyers who don't know anything about the show? Wouldn't it be wiser to feature a 1970s photo of Carole King?

by Anonymousreply 434March 18, 2019 1:43 AM

[quote]r433 You see, there can actually be some fairly interesting discussion on this thread (if not gossip) when posters behave and contribute smart thoughts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435March 18, 2019 1:44 AM

I've often wondered about original cast members pictures after they leave the show. The picture of the original Rent cast was up for years after they had all left.

by Anonymousreply 436March 18, 2019 1:57 AM

Expect Hugh's Marian to be announced soon, because the word seems to be getting around already (and has been mentioned here already, either in this thread or the previous one).

When you know who it is, you realize that the clue they gave (beloved musical theatre actress, missing from the Broadway stage in recent years) pretty much gives it away. Just remember, missing from the Broadway stage does not mean missing from New York altogether.

by Anonymousreply 437March 18, 2019 2:00 AM

[quote]beloved musical theatre actress, missing from the Broadway stage in recent years

Oh, God! It's not Audra McDonald, is it?

by Anonymousreply 438March 18, 2019 2:05 AM

Oh no. It's definitely Liza. That's going to be a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 439March 18, 2019 2:11 AM

R427 He'd be a much better Dainty June.

by Anonymousreply 440March 18, 2019 2:10 AM

June Knight's biggest stage credit was Cole Porter's "Jubilee," where she introduced "Begin the Beguine" and "Just One of Those Things."

She was supposed to do Mary Martin's part in "Leave it to Me," but didn't care for "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" and preferred "Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love," which had already been assigned to Sophie Tucker. By that point, she had a rich fiancé, so she moved on and left it to Mary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441March 18, 2019 2:11 AM

The poster is kind of weird as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442March 18, 2019 2:11 AM

R438 and 439, no. The person hasn't been on BROADWAY per se for just over five years, but that does not mean she hasn't been seen on an NY stage.

by Anonymousreply 443March 18, 2019 2:13 AM

Laura Bell Bundy?

by Anonymousreply 444March 18, 2019 2:16 AM

Sutton. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 445March 18, 2019 2:17 AM

Oh right, Audra's doing that stupid "Frankie & Johnny" revival, which she is completely miscast in.

by Anonymousreply 446March 18, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]The person hasn't been on BROADWAY per se for just over five years, but that does not mean she hasn't been seen on an NY stage.

Lily Tomlin?

Christine Andreas?

Lea DeLaria?

Mario Cantone

by Anonymousreply 447March 18, 2019 2:39 AM

[quote]Sutton. Gross.

Sutton is not a soprano. Will they be using Carol Channing keys for her to sing My White Knight?

by Anonymousreply 448March 18, 2019 2:42 AM

It WILL be Rebecca Ferguson lip synching to Lorin Alred like in The Greatest Showman. Hugh is shooting another film with her this fall after his tour concludes.

by Anonymousreply 449March 18, 2019 2:44 AM

Kristen Bell would be interesting but she hasn't been on Broadway for over 15 years not just 5.

by Anonymousreply 450March 18, 2019 2:44 AM

Yes, it's true. It's Lea DeLaria. She's promised to lose twenty pounds.

by Anonymousreply 451March 18, 2019 2:45 AM

Kristine Chenoweth in the right keys this time?

by Anonymousreply 452March 18, 2019 2:47 AM

Kristin

by Anonymousreply 453March 18, 2019 2:47 AM

If it is five years, the only one who fits is Sutton. Chenoweth was on in 2015 and 2016. Audra was in 2017. Anything Goes was 2014. God help us.

by Anonymousreply 454March 18, 2019 2:51 AM

Chenoweth did a concert, in a Broadway house, for a limited run, so not necessarily fitting the definition given.

by Anonymousreply 455March 18, 2019 2:53 AM

20th Century was less than 4 years ago. The maths are not that difficult.

by Anonymousreply 456March 18, 2019 2:55 AM

Does Sutton have this secret soprano register we've never heard before? Although, these days, they'll change the keys for anything. See: Imelda Staunton in Follies.

by Anonymousreply 457March 18, 2019 3:01 AM

[quote]Don't you do the memories of those who were persecuted and murdered for inter-racial "crimes" an injustice by erasing the hate that existed and pretending that this was a perfect world where everyone just got along and didn't see skin color as an issue. Hopefully, in 2019, we have evolved from where we were at in 1912 but changing history to suit the social justice needs of theatrical casting may actually do more harm than good.

Oh dear. However will we come to terms with the fact that a. River City isn't a real city so this story couldn't possibly be real? b. people in 1912 Iowa weren't known to spontaneously burst out into song and dance?

[bold]WILLING SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF[/bold], you sad, pathetic twat. If an audience in 2019 NYC can go along with it, so can you.

by Anonymousreply 458March 18, 2019 3:03 AM

Long thread at BWW is convinced it is Sutton. Some but not a lot of enthusiasm for Osnes. Osnes is not a favorite for me, but she is very good and would be appropriate . I happen to love Sutton but she is simply not a Marian for me. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 459March 18, 2019 3:05 AM

The suspension of disbelief argument is always and only used in arguments supporting giving a (written) white role to an actor of color. Absolutely NEVER may you use it the other way around. That’s racist.

by Anonymousreply 460March 18, 2019 3:07 AM

I don't really have a problem with Sutton doing this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461March 18, 2019 3:09 AM

I'm so sorry about you not getting cast in that all-white "Raisin in the Sun", R460. Perhaps your therapist can help you work through your unchecked white privilege.

by Anonymousreply 462March 18, 2019 3:18 AM

R459, It's Angela Lansbury.

by Anonymousreply 463March 18, 2019 3:18 AM

r458 - You seem to have missed the point, so let me type it for you REALLY S-L-O-W-L-Y. The culmination of THE MUSIC MAN is a scene where the town folk, who realize they have been duped by a con man, fan out over the town with the intention of lynching him, by tarring and feathering him. IT'S IN THE SCRIPT. Don't you feel it's a little ingenuous, then, to apply the willing suspension of disbelief just because folks are singing and dancing, but absolutely ignore that the town is trying to lynch a man who, for half the show, has been violating miscegenation laws?

Are you truly arguing that it's better to allow one actor-of-color to be cast against type in 2019 if that means you erase the historic of racism of the era? If that's your point, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree ... you pathetic twat. Now go take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 464March 18, 2019 3:19 AM

In interviews about "My Heart Belongs to Daddy," Mary Martin often mentioned June Knight.

by Anonymousreply 465March 18, 2019 3:19 AM

It was a fucking concert, r464. You can relax, you have a white man coming in as HH soon.

by Anonymousreply 466March 18, 2019 3:24 AM

True, but what she mentioned was how much she enjoyed servicing her, r465.

by Anonymousreply 467March 18, 2019 3:26 AM

R467, That's my girl.

by Anonymousreply 468March 18, 2019 3:30 AM

[quote]Kristen Bell would be interesting but she hasn't been on Broadway for over 15 years not just 5.

Kristen Bell has a TV series. She can't commit to a long run on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 469March 18, 2019 3:35 AM

[quote]BEBE'S A WHORE!

Them's fightin' words!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470March 18, 2019 3:38 AM

Anyone who sees the breakdowns knows that the large majority of them, in all media, explicitly ask for all Ethnicities except Caucasian. Has been this way for a few years now. How is that okay? People are trying to survive but the SJWs would have white actors lie down and take it. It’s not even equitable.

by Anonymousreply 471March 18, 2019 3:47 AM

[quote]I'm so sorry about you not getting cast in that all-white "Raisin in the Sun", [R460]. Perhaps your therapist can help you work through your unchecked white privilege.

But I'm afraid there is no sort of doctor who could possibly help you work through your incredible stupidity and you complete inability to participate in an an intellectual argument, as you have no intellect. You racist idiot.

by Anonymousreply 472March 18, 2019 3:53 AM

But who will be Jacey Squires?

by Anonymousreply 473March 18, 2019 4:11 AM

BOMBSHELL!

THE HIT LIST!

by Anonymousreply 474March 18, 2019 4:15 AM

Lea DeLaria is indeed doing The Music Man, but she will be playing the Wells Fargo Wagon.

by Anonymousreply 475March 18, 2019 5:13 AM

Isn't it offensive that they do a commercial for the Wells Fargo company when they in modern times have screwed people by signing them up for all kinds of expensive and false accounts? It is a necessary number for the show for it shows Winthrop acting excited and gregarious, but shouldn't someone demand that the name of the company bringing goods to town be changed to something else that scans properly?

by Anonymousreply 476March 18, 2019 5:19 AM

That's said kind of jokingly, but hey, people do love to get offended by everything nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 477March 18, 2019 5:20 AM

Yes, as you keep reminding us, r477.

by Anonymousreply 478March 18, 2019 8:33 AM

[quote]Anything Goes was 2014

Anything Goes was 2011-2012. Sutton's gig in 2014 was Violet, first for Encores in the summer, then in the transfer to Broadway, which was her last appearance on a Broadway stage to date.

She did Sweet Charity two and a half years ago, but that was at the New Theatre, which is off-Broadway. So she completely fits the clues.

Well, and it's her, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 479March 18, 2019 8:49 AM

Should have been her last appearance on a broadway stage period. ugh.

by Anonymousreply 480March 18, 2019 8:51 AM

[quote]She was supposed to do Mary Martin's part in "Leave it to Me," but didn't care for "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" and preferred "Most Gentlemen Don't Like Love," which had already been assigned to Sophie Tucker.

Mary Martin claimed that Sophie Tucker had to explain to her why "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" is a raunchy song. Hard to believe that even (supposedly) wholesome Mary was that innocent. Then again, censors obviously didn't get it either, lol.

by Anonymousreply 481March 18, 2019 8:52 AM

You all can just dine on my fine finnan haddie.

by Anonymousreply 482March 18, 2019 9:07 AM

What about diddle on my skittle?

by Anonymousreply 483March 18, 2019 9:13 AM

R348, No, not good looking at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484March 18, 2019 9:48 AM

^^^girl bye. Bye girl.

by Anonymousreply 485March 18, 2019 9:54 AM

Interesting that our racist or loon or silent majority feels outrage over casting a black Marian but not a charmless belter. There is no indication that any of these roles that the writers supposedly defined as white were cast that way except for the norms of the time. Does the King of Siam have to be cast as a bald Russian?

I can’t believe anyone would prefer to see Sutton Foster play Marian over Audra McDonald, but I guess the inability to suspend white privilege prevents enjoyment of a lot of great theater.

by Anonymousreply 486March 18, 2019 10:04 AM

486 - the inability to suspend disbelief has less to do with buzz words like "white privilege" and more to do with context. IT MAKES NO SENSE. The (yes fictional) town in Iowa sings an entire song at the beginning of the show ("Iowa Stubborn") in which they describe themselves as "contrary" "stubborn" and "never seeing eye-to-eye". Do these people sound like the kind of folks who are color-blind to race issues? This is the same state that racist congressman Steve King is from. So, when it comes to color-blind casting, does it matter? I argue in this case it does. Especially since the culmination of the show is the townfolk trying to lynch the con man. Where doesn't it matter? Seussical, Wicked, Spongebob, Willy Wonka, Cats -- fantasy universes where there IS no such thing as race. Or shows like Billy Elliott, Matilda, Once, Come From Away, The Prom, and dozens of other shows where the race of the characters, given historical context, are not somehow an element that is important to the plot. Bottom line: if you can't cast coclor blind without affecting meaning. So, no African-American Fiddler on the Roof, No Asian Purlie, No Caucasian Ain't Misbehavin'. Given elements of the show, color-blind casting would be not only ridiculous, it would be offensive.

by Anonymousreply 487March 18, 2019 11:38 AM

I thought one of the reasons there were two theater threads a couple of iterations ago was that one was taken over by the topic of color-blind casting and somebody started another just to get away from the topic, which many thought ruined the thread. Maybe this topic needs its own separate thread, or we will always have multiple theater threads going simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 488March 18, 2019 11:54 AM

Thrilled about the news that Kevin James and our own Kristi Dawn will be heading out across the country in "The Band's Visit" national tour! A must see!

by Anonymousreply 489March 18, 2019 12:06 PM

Hugh Jackman IS Harold HIll! Lens Dunham IS Marian Paroo! Chelsea Handler IS Eulalie McKechnie Shinn! Reince Preibus IS Mayor Shinn!

by Anonymousreply 490March 18, 2019 12:18 PM

R488 No darl, the one poster who calls everyone a loon for not agreeing that every role should be black just needs to cool his jets and calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 491March 18, 2019 12:25 PM

Thread 491, post 491

by Anonymousreply 492March 18, 2019 1:34 PM

I love seeing all this info and the photos of June Knight. I'm the poster who gave you the film clip of her number with Robert Taylor and I didn't know anything about her and wondered why she didn't become a bigger film star.

She had a funny face, not quite leading lady looks, but she sure rocked that number. And the production design and costumes there are glorious MGM magic.

by Anonymousreply 493March 18, 2019 1:37 PM

R 491, thanks, sweetie, you're a dear person.

by Anonymousreply 494March 18, 2019 1:43 PM

R487 nailed it. I’d add that in Shakespeare plays like A Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Tempest color blind casting is fine but it isn’t in historical plays like Richard III and Henry V.

by Anonymousreply 495March 18, 2019 1:53 PM

Rosie would actually work as Sutton's mom ... it's just weird that this production is so far in the future

by Anonymousreply 496March 18, 2019 3:02 PM

I saw Merrily over the weekend. These guys are very inventive and work their asses off, and I didn't particularly mind that they weren't great singers. And there were some nice, high energy moments (Opening Doors was one) But they've taken far too many cuts, in both text and music. What's left is a kind of Cliff Notes version of the show. The score, which was all of a piece in earlier versions, now loses the common threads that formerly stitched all the music (and lyrics) together. I think that if Prince had used a Fiasco-style unit set with props all over the place, and had had the graduates come off the bleachers, find various props, and begin acting out Franklin's life beginning after "How did you get there from here.....?" the audience would have understood perfectly what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 497March 18, 2019 3:13 PM

Right, and Sutton was the sure bet for CALL ME MADAM, too. She can't sing it, and by 2020, she'll be too old for Marian. Scott Rudin is not a hack.

by Anonymousreply 498March 18, 2019 3:39 PM

Wut?? LuPone was doing CMM and then Company extended

by Anonymousreply 499March 18, 2019 3:44 PM

It was the children actors that ruined "Merrily". And the stupid t shirts and lack of set. I also have a vision of that show starting with the students "The Hills Of Tomorrow" on the bleachers going back in time and understood perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 500March 18, 2019 3:50 PM

Guys, Sutton Foster is not going to play Marion. Are you crazy? Why not cast her as Annie while we’re at it?

by Anonymousreply 501March 18, 2019 3:50 PM

Sutton would make a terrific Harold Hill in a gender-flipped Music Man. But nothing about her seems right for Marian.

by Anonymousreply 502March 18, 2019 4:02 PM

I doubt Scott Rudin is going to give Hugh Jackman a black Marian after the terrible pairing of Joshua Henry and Jessie Mueller in Carousel and Joshua Henry actually reads as someone who genuinely likes vagina whereas Hugh screams, well anyway... It'll probably be Sutton. I had also heard Laura Osnes. I'm sure Marcellus will be of color.

by Anonymousreply 503March 18, 2019 4:04 PM

An elder gay who saw the last Music Man told me that the issue with the Bierko revival was that the widow of Meredith Wilson wouldn't allow any changes to the script and that a lot of the interludes meant for when the set was being moved felt awkward. Thoughts? Also WHET Craig Bierko?

by Anonymousreply 504March 18, 2019 4:06 PM

Why did Bierko deliberately copy Robert Preston? He mimicked him so that heir recordings are virtually indistinguishable.

by Anonymousreply 505March 18, 2019 4:09 PM

R502 NO. No gender flipping. It's not historically accurate. No woman would have been in that position back then. But seriously, Sutton is just so bad and fraudulent in anything she does. I think she is unwatchable. I saw her in"Millie" and never again.

by Anonymousreply 506March 18, 2019 4:19 PM

I’d never actually advocate for a fully mounted gender-flipped production, but I think Sutton, with her mercenary show pony-quality, would be a hoot to watch do Hill’s numbers in concert. Broadway’s favorite All-American spinster Gavin Creel could sing Marian’s songs. I’d go!

by Anonymousreply 507March 18, 2019 4:29 PM

How is Gavin Creel a spinster? He’s my ideal! Begone!!

by Anonymousreply 508March 18, 2019 4:32 PM

Can't wait to hear Kristin C massacre "Omar Sharif".

by Anonymousreply 509March 18, 2019 4:36 PM

Bierko was supposed to play Trunchball in MATILDA after Bertie left. He did a couple of performances (and was reportedly awful) and then left the show citing some sort of injury. Chrises Hoch and Sieber took over and were both terrific. And Bierko just sort of disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 510March 18, 2019 4:39 PM

Craig Bierko was interviewed on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, and got into some dish about The Music Man. He didn't discuss script changes and such, but he said he did have to audition for Rosemary Willson, Meredith's widow. He described her as being formidable.

by Anonymousreply 511March 18, 2019 4:44 PM

Bierko also imitated Harry Connick Jr in THOU SHALT NOT. He wasn’t bad, but the show had major issues.

by Anonymousreply 512March 18, 2019 4:46 PM

R495 How about a person of short stature in the history plays? Peter Dinklage did Richard III (who was not a dwarf, though he was physically disabled) and Linda Hunt played Saint Joan (not Shakespeare but still a history play).

by Anonymousreply 513March 18, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote] An elder gay who saw the last Music Man told me that the issue with the Bierko revival was that the widow of Meredith Wilson wouldn't allow any changes to the script and that a lot of the interludes meant for when the set was being moved felt awkward. Thoughts? Also WHET Craig Bierko?

I remember the 2000 revival actually incorporating several things from the movie screenplay - a few lines of dialogue ("Don't believe I dropped it.." "Try the Palmer House in Chicago."), and the "Gary Indiana" duet between Harold Hill and Mrs. Paroo.

But the problems of that production ran deeper. Bierko indeed sounded like he was doing Robert Preston line readings throughout. Luker sang beautifully, but was a little too placid. Stroman's choreography was very hard sell, without the easy charm and ingenuity of the Onna White choreography.

But Ben Brantley really got at something else that I thought was a real problem with that production: "Dressed in William Ivey Long's too-pretty period costumes, townspeople in the ensemble are a genial, easy-going lot, which is not at all what the show asks for. You don't get the sense of diverse idiosyncratic figures chafing against one another, which still comes across in the 1962 film version." I can't say it better than that. The humor dried up, and the production just played like a pastel-colored postcard, without all of the quirkiness that makes the show fly.

by Anonymousreply 514March 18, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]but shouldn't someone demand that the name of the company bringing goods to town be changed to something else that scans properly?

Oh, the Uber Lyft cars are coming down the street....

by Anonymousreply 515March 18, 2019 5:19 PM

Why are so many doubting Laura Osnes' casting as Marian when she practically confirmed it on Twitter? Would she really be so foolish to put that out there if there was any doubt?

She's not my favorite but she's perfectly reasonable casting, was last seen on Broadway a couple of years ago in Bandstand (so there's been an absence of sorts) and could be described, I suppose, as a "beloved Broadway star." And she's sexy/pretty enough to make Hugh seem like he could be interested, unlike some I could name.

by Anonymousreply 516March 18, 2019 5:28 PM

Kristi Dawn

by Anonymousreply 517March 18, 2019 5:31 PM

Osnes is just as bad as Sutton but with a weaker voice. At least Sutton has energy. It's the Hugh jackman show anyway.

by Anonymousreply 518March 18, 2019 5:32 PM

Anne Hathaway would be a terrific name Marian.

by Anonymousreply 519March 18, 2019 5:33 PM

Laura Benanti

by Anonymousreply 520March 18, 2019 5:37 PM

Zaks is truly a great director for Music Man, and Warren C the right choreographer. Good on them.

by Anonymousreply 521March 18, 2019 5:38 PM

Whoever posted that info about Ovrtur, thank you so much. What a great research tool.

by Anonymousreply 522March 18, 2019 5:45 PM

[quote]Anne Hathaway would be a terrific name Marian.

She doesn't have the "yearning" that Marian needs. She's too brittle for Marian.

by Anonymousreply 523March 18, 2019 5:46 PM

Also not at all a singer...

by Anonymousreply 524March 18, 2019 5:45 PM

This song written for Tangled the Series and sung by Eden Espinosa is not even meta in how clearly it is about being Idina Menzel's standby replacement as Elphaba on broadway.

Just throwing it out there that the Disney Princess stuff has gotten THAT fixated on Wicked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525March 18, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote]There is no indication that any of these roles that the writers supposedly defined as white were cast that way except for the norms of the time.

When you refer to "the norms of the time," do you mean the casting norms of Broadway in the 1950s? Or are you referring to what the ethnic makeup of a 1912 Iowa town would have been? Either way, as someone else noted above, a major point of THE MUSIC MAN is that the town is supposed to be a rigid, closed society that doesn't take well to outsiders. The mayor and the townspeople even look down on Tommy Djilas, who although he wasn't originally intended to be African-American, does have an "ethnic" last name and is supposed to be from the "wrong side of the tracks." These are the reasons why casting Harold Hill with a person of color really doesn't work in terms of the story.

[quote]Zaks is truly a great director for Music Man.

Not sure about that. He tends to have a very heavy hand with comic business, as in several moments in HELLO, DOLLY!

by Anonymousreply 526March 18, 2019 5:53 PM

Eden Espinoza was referred to as Idina Lite.

by Anonymousreply 527March 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Barbara Cook adored Hugh and will be playing Marian in a stunning return to the role

by Anonymousreply 528March 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Anne Hathaway showed that she had a beautiful soprano voice in "Carnival" some years ago at Encores. I think the take chosen for her performance (though it won an Oscar) in "Les Miz" was done probably after multiple takes because the director probably wanted her voice to sound tired and not at her best, for character purposes. Me, I'd prefer a really well-sung Fantine. But anyway, Anne would make a fine Marian if she were available and wanted to do it. It's actually an easier sing than Lilli in "Carnival".

by Anonymousreply 529March 18, 2019 6:35 PM

Laura Osnes is playing Marian. I am not sure why this is continuing to be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 530March 18, 2019 6:37 PM

Laura Noses would probably be fine, but I think Hathaway would be even better.

by Anonymousreply 531March 18, 2019 7:15 PM

Osnes, but Noses would make a fun meme.

by Anonymousreply 532March 18, 2019 7:16 PM

Why did Michael Crawford pull out of the 'All Stars' tv show? Any clues? Would have enjoyed him more than the chippie heiress

by Anonymousreply 533March 18, 2019 7:17 PM

I think Crawford has had a lot of health issues in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 534March 18, 2019 7:52 PM

[quote]Dressed in William Ivey Long's too-pretty period costumes

I think he means Stewart Laing's too pretty costumes from Titanic that WIL recycled for The Music Man. (Might have been a bit of Teddy and Alice in there as well.)

by Anonymousreply 535March 18, 2019 7:54 PM

[quote]LuPone was doing CMM and then Company extended

LuPone was never doing CMM. The “extension” of Company was planned from the beginning. She knew from the start how long she would be in England.

by Anonymousreply 536March 18, 2019 8:04 PM

Mary’s finnan haddie was only fine right after she bathed.

by Anonymousreply 537March 18, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote] LuPone was never doing CMM.

What's CMM?

by Anonymousreply 538March 18, 2019 8:11 PM

Call Me Madam at Encores

by Anonymousreply 539March 18, 2019 8:16 PM

I do think Hathaway gets flack due to her I Dreamed A Dream in Les Mis. Lest they forget it was one of the few moments in that movie that actually worked and she won that Oscar fair and square. She's a much better singer than that (as seen in Carnival). I'd love for her to finally make her big official Broadway musical debut, but I don't think it'll be The Music Man. I think she might actually be a great Rose in Gypsy one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 540March 18, 2019 8:32 PM

I’d be ok with Laura Noses in the role.

by Anonymousreply 541March 18, 2019 8:39 PM

[quote]Mary Martin claimed that Sophie Tucker had to explain to her why "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" is a raunchy song.

Actually, Sophie Tucker told Mary the exact lines to roll her eyes on (such as finnan haddie), but she mever explained what they meant. Martin claimed that she still didn’t kniw when she wrote her book at 60.

by Anonymousreply 542March 18, 2019 8:41 PM

I think Hathaway would make a terrific Margaret in LITP in the fullness of time. She also the rare sort of actress who could do Sally or Phyllis in Follies.

by Anonymousreply 543March 18, 2019 8:41 PM

Anne Hathaway wasn’t all that in Carnival. Her singing couldn’t hold a candle to Anna Maria Alberghetti’s. The myth that she has a hreat voice is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 544March 18, 2019 8:45 PM

OK, I'll bite.

Other than: fine finn and haddie = vagina, are there other double entendres in the song i should be aware of??

by Anonymousreply 545March 18, 2019 8:54 PM

Hathaway is not just disliked—she is despised by the general public

No one wants to see her in anything which is why she’s having career troubles

by Anonymousreply 546March 18, 2019 9:06 PM

"Though other dames/At football games/May have a strong undergraddy/I never dream of making the team/'Cause my heart...."

"My heart belongs to Daddy/'Cause my Daddy, he treats me so well/He treats it and treats it/And then he repeats it/Yes, Daddy, he treats it so well."

"So I simply warn you, laddie,/Tho' I simply hate to be frank/That I can't be mean to Daddy/'Cause my Da-da-da-Daddy might spank."

by Anonymousreply 547March 18, 2019 9:16 PM

Agree that Hathaway has a pretty but very thin voice. She can just barely maneuver the songs in CARNIVAL.

by Anonymousreply 548March 18, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]fine finn and haddie

It’s not “Finn and haddie.” Finnan haddie is finnan haddock, a fish dish. Thus, “dine on my fine finnan haddie” = eat me out, munch my muff, chow down on my carpet.

by Anonymousreply 549March 18, 2019 9:28 PM

The lyric is actually “my daddy he treats it so well” not “treats me so well.”

by Anonymousreply 550March 18, 2019 9:30 PM

Everybody vote now.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551March 18, 2019 9:33 PM

r550, sorry to disappoint you, but the "it" in the lyric refers to her heart, not her fine finnan haddie.

"But my heart belongs to daddy, 'cause my daddy he treats it so well"

by Anonymousreply 552March 18, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]Peter Dinklage did Richard III (who was not a dwarf, though he was physically disabled) and Linda Hunt played Saint Joan (not Shakespeare but still a history play).

Could either of them handle Winthrop Paroo?

by Anonymousreply 553March 18, 2019 9:46 PM

So is the entire song about orally satisfying a young woman in a fur chubbie?

by Anonymousreply 554March 18, 2019 9:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555March 18, 2019 10:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556March 18, 2019 10:03 PM

Excuse me, r552, but I never said “treats it so well” refers to finnan haddie, I just pointed out that the lyric in the show, and which Martin sang on her three recordings of it, is “treats it so well” as opposed to “treats me so well” which is how it’s usually sung. Since the lyric occurs some time later,!of course it’s not referencing fish. “My heart belongs to daddy, cause my daddy he treats it so well.” Almost no one except Martin sang the tag “He treats it and treats it and then he repeats it ...”

by Anonymousreply 557March 18, 2019 10:06 PM

No, r554. It’s about a young woman who has a rich “daddy,” and she loves to flirt with other guys (or even put out), but her heart belongs to daddy.

by Anonymousreply 558March 18, 2019 10:07 PM

[quote]Deb Monk, post-stroke

Wait - are you saying that Deb Monk had a stroke??

by Anonymousreply 559March 18, 2019 10:12 PM

"Laura Osnes is playing Marian. I am not sure why this is continuing to be discussed."

BECAUSE DAMMIT THIS IS NOT THE PAPER MILL PLAYHOUSE AND WE DO NOT LIKE HER!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 560March 18, 2019 10:30 PM

BUT WE DO LIKE LAURA NOSES!!!

by Anonymousreply 561March 18, 2019 10:33 PM

Thanks for posting that clip, r556. She is pretty spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 562March 18, 2019 10:33 PM

Did somebody say eating out a gal in a fur coat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563March 18, 2019 10:34 PM

When did Monk have a stroke-after she appeared in a recent episode of "New Amsterdam"?

by Anonymousreply 564March 18, 2019 10:37 PM

Damn, I was really hoping Deb Monk would play Marian.

Whoever plays it, I hope we'll be getting a Dream Miser Madison.

by Anonymousreply 565March 18, 2019 10:40 PM

Charlie Williams for Dream Miser Madison!

by Anonymousreply 566March 18, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote]Laura Osnes is playing Marian. I am not sure why this is continuing to be discussed."

Because she isn’t. The real Marian is already signed but they’re waiting to announce. They wanted the first announcement to be just Hugh. The second was the team. The third is just Marian. Since it’s a year and a half away, the rest of the cast won’t be announced so soon.

by Anonymousreply 567March 18, 2019 10:46 PM

That far out, it could still be O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 568March 18, 2019 10:48 PM

Hugh will back out if "The Front Runner II" gets greenlighted.

by Anonymousreply 569March 18, 2019 10:51 PM

Has Hugh ever backed out of a Broadway show?

by Anonymousreply 570March 18, 2019 11:01 PM

No, but he's backed into chorus boys.

by Anonymousreply 571March 18, 2019 11:05 PM

Laura Noses for Marian! Laura Noses!!!!

by Anonymousreply 572March 18, 2019 11:05 PM

'Aura Noses!

She is the best!

I hope they get her for the Elphaba movie!

by Anonymousreply 573March 18, 2019 11:10 PM

R570, Yes, he backed out of Houdini.

by Anonymousreply 574March 18, 2019 11:39 PM

Hugh Jackman has stepped away from the upcoming Broadway musical “Houdini,” citing the scheduling demands of developing a new tuner as the cause of his departure from a project to which he’s been attached, both formally and informally, for several years now.

“I have greatly enjoyed the collaborative process on ‘Houdini,'” the actor said in a statement. “Ultimately, though, I wasn’t able to commit to the time this role will require. I have tremendous respect and admiration for the creative team and I wish everyone the best. I know they’re well on their way to making something extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 575March 18, 2019 11:41 PM

And that was the end of Houdini. Stephen Schwartz backed out when Hugh did, and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 576March 18, 2019 11:50 PM

"The lyric is actually “my daddy he treats it so well” not “treats me so well.”"

Tell that to Robert Kimball.

by Anonymousreply 577March 18, 2019 11:50 PM

If Laura Osnes married Tommy Gnosis from Hedwig and hyphened her name, she would be known as Laura Gnosis Osnes

by Anonymousreply 578March 18, 2019 11:50 PM

Laura Noses isn’t nearly as funny as the person who keeps repeating it thinks it is.

by Anonymousreply 579March 18, 2019 11:50 PM

Check the script (it was published) and Kimball’s own Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter, r577. That’s the point of the tag

My heart belongs to Daddy

Cause Daddy he treats it so well

He treats it, and treats it

And then he repeats it

Yes Daddy he treats it so well.

by Anonymousreply 580March 18, 2019 11:54 PM

Laura Noses is absolutely funny. She’s one of our premiere commedians.

by Anonymousreply 581March 19, 2019 12:05 AM

Okay, enough. Really.

by Anonymousreply 582March 19, 2019 12:06 AM

Keep your opinions to YOURSELF!

by Anonymousreply 583March 19, 2019 12:14 AM

So Jeremy Jordan is going into Waitress? When did he become replacement cast?

by Anonymousreply 584March 19, 2019 12:52 AM

Since there are no jobs for actors and people need to pay their rent?

by Anonymousreply 585March 19, 2019 12:53 AM

Jeremy Jordan's career is being horribly managed.

First he does that worthless non-singing supporting role of the dumb cop in that cliched Kerry Washington play and now he's the 5th replacement in Waitress after fucking Joey McIntyre?? Awful choices. And no one is watching him in Supergirl on TV. He should have been Danny Zuko in the TV Grease and starred in a couple of new Broadway musicals after Newsies.

by Anonymousreply 586March 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Sophie Tucker didn't tell Mary to roll her eyes on the hot lines in Daddy.

She told her to look up to heaven and fold her hands together demurely.

by Anonymousreply 587March 19, 2019 1:02 AM

Considering that sweet Texan girl Mary got herself knocked up as a teen, in the early 30s no less, not knowing what the lyrics of My Heart Belongs to Daddy meant is pretty rich.

by Anonymousreply 588March 19, 2019 1:07 AM

My God, please! This is the most anyone has ever talked about that non-entity Laura Osnes. People like her are what's wrong with Broadway right now - reasonably talented, but forgettable as can be. I once knew a guy who tried to persuade me that she was Broadway's Meryl Streep. WTF?

Jeremy Jordan at least has a little girt here and there and is a bit more interesting than Aaron Tviet.

by Anonymousreply 589March 19, 2019 1:22 AM

Sutton has lots of energy. No talent but lots of energy.

by Anonymousreply 590March 19, 2019 1:26 AM

If you're going to diss Aaron, do him the minor courtesy please of spelling his surname correctly.

by Anonymousreply 591March 19, 2019 1:29 AM

Deb Monk had a stroke in "Thou Shalt Not," hence the Bierko comment being attributed to her. Duh. You ladies are disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 592March 19, 2019 1:28 AM

R591, it's not the poster's fault. He probably got drowsy just thinking about him and mistyped.

by Anonymousreply 593March 19, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote] Jeremy Jordan's career is being horribly managed. First he does that worthless non-singing supporting role of the dumb cop in that cliched Kerry Washington play and now he's the 5th replacement in Waitress after fucking Joey McIntyre?? Awful choices. And no one is watching him in Supergirl on TV. He should have been Danny Zuko in the TV Grease and starred in a couple of new Broadway musicals after Newsies.

I agree completely. He had huge momentum for a while and they've squandered it.

by Anonymousreply 594March 19, 2019 1:32 AM

I just don't understand how they are going to make it seem like Hugh has better chemistry with Laura Noses than he does with Telly Leung. The Shipoopi will sure be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 595March 19, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]It’s not “Finn and haddie.” Finnan haddie is finnan haddock, a fish dish. Thus, “dine on my fine finnan haddie” = eat me out, munch my muff, chow down on my carpet.

Oh, yeah. Like Mom simply couldn't wrap her head around THAT lyric.

by Anonymousreply 596March 19, 2019 1:34 AM

Jeremy will probably bring some more biz to WAITRESS. All those little girls who adored him in NEWSIES have grown up and will flock to see him as the sensitive doctor.

by Anonymousreply 597March 19, 2019 1:36 AM

THIRD MIDNIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 598March 19, 2019 1:37 AM

"Check... Kimball’s own Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter, [R577]…"

Yup, got Kimball's tome right in front of me, r580, and right there on page 172, it says, "he treats ME so well/he treats it and treats it," etc

by Anonymousreply 599March 19, 2019 1:38 AM

Jeremy has a little some extra that a lot of these new Broadway bores don't have. I can actually see him sustaining a career after 40. A lot of the others ones - not so much. Then again, with the planes and busses filled with equally charisma-free wannabe musical theatre performers coming into town every day, who knows. This is just the new standard I suppose and, hopefully, it'll die out soon.

I'm sorry, but I'm not looking forward to the 2040 revival of Hello, Dolly starring that charismatic crackerjack Laura Osnes.

by Anonymousreply 600March 19, 2019 1:40 AM

Cole Porter always treated my vagina with respectful, almost pious distance.

by Anonymousreply 601March 19, 2019 1:42 AM

[quote]But I'm afraid there is no sort of doctor who could possibly help you work through your incredible stupidity and you complete inability to participate in an an intellectual argument, as you have no intellect. You racist idiot.

Thanks so much for confirming the "unchecked white privilege part", doll.

*smooches*

by Anonymousreply 602March 19, 2019 1:42 AM

Thanks for answering the question about Jackman and Houdini!

by Anonymousreply 603March 19, 2019 1:43 AM

Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch at the altar of the lady ham today.

by Anonymousreply 604March 19, 2019 1:43 AM

A dick a dick!

A dick a dick!

A dick a dick!

Get it?

by Anonymousreply 605March 19, 2019 1:44 AM

[quote]Actually, Sophie Tucker told Mary the exact lines to roll her eyes on (such as finnan haddie), but she mever explained what they meant. Martin claimed that she still didn’t kniw when she wrote her book at 60.

Incredible that anyone believes Martin didn't understand the true meaning of the song when she sang it originally. Obvious publicity hook, but total bullshit, I'm sure. I was about nine years old when I first heard Martin's recording of that song, because it was in my parents' record collection, and even at that age, although of course I didn't completely understand the song, I knew she wasn't singing about her father.

by Anonymousreply 606March 19, 2019 1:54 AM

Matt the Loon is the worst

by Anonymousreply 607March 19, 2019 3:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!