Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Suits, bitches!!!

I need a new suit. I have an old Boss one thats over 10 years old- but I have some fancy events coming up so I want to purchase a new one.

What kind of suit do you have? Ralph Lauren? Brooks Brothers? Suit Supply? Paul Smith? A mother fucking Brioni?

Help!!

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2019

JC Penneys has a sale right now on suits. I found a nice black suit there.

by Anonymousreply 103/14/2019

Forty-two year old lawyer here, OP. I wear suits almost every day. To suggest something I'd like to know your age, occupation and body type. Is the suit solely for your events or do you wear suits to work?

by Anonymousreply 203/14/2019

Also, OP . . . what's your budget?

by Anonymousreply 303/14/2019

[quote]Ralph Lauren?

Ew.

[quote]Brooks Brothers?

[b][i]Ew.[/i][/b]

[quote]Suit Supply?

KILL IT!!!

by Anonymousreply 403/14/2019

Corneliani and Ermenegildo Zena are two of my favorites, OP, and they will last you for years and years. No offense to R1, but a suit from JC Penny's will last only a fraction of that. Nonetheless, if that's what's in your budget just be sure that you take the suit to a tailor--a real, honest to god tailor--so that it fits properly. A properly fitting suit from Penny's is better than an off the rack $2500.00 suit that one fails to get altered.

by Anonymousreply 503/14/2019

HAs anyone tried made-to-order suits like at Indochino or MYsuit?

by Anonymousreply 603/14/2019

Hugo Boss, Kenneth Cole, and Calvin Klein.

If you're fortunate enough like me to have a build where off the rack fits you perfectly, try Macy's for a great deal.

by Anonymousreply 703/14/2019

OP, how the fuck you could even mention garbage like Ralph Lauren in the same paragraph as Brioni?? If you want a piece-of-shit suit made in China, Vietnam or Bangladesh and quite literally glued together instead of properly stitched, either Lauren, Brooks Brothers or Suitsupply will suffice. The latter is marginally better if only because it's semi-bespoke, but will still be pretty crappy all around.

Your best bet is buying a top-notch suit at extreme discount on eBay: Brioni, Kiton or Isaia would be good bets. As long as it's relatively close to your size, you can get it properly refitted at a local tailor once it arrives. If you know what you're doing you can find a new or barely worn suit for up to 90% off retail. Since you're only buying one, I'd suggest a basic color and cut (e.g. navy or dark gray two-button) along with three-season wool. If you don't know your size, walk into a department store and start trying shit on - and btw note that most American and European off-the-shelf suits aren't properly sized, so you should check using one of the three above labels if you can find them locally.

by Anonymousreply 803/14/2019

Hi, r2 and everyone else! I'm 6'3, 210lbs--rugby player build. Looking to spend $1500 or less (I'm dropping money on shoes, too). Would need this suit for a variety of things: fancy dinners, weddings, etc.--so versatility is key.

Thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 903/14/2019

I am simply AGHAST. JcPenny's? I have to sit down for a moment....please, someone get me the smelling salts.

by Anonymousreply 1003/14/2019

Try Bonobos - they have nice suits in modern cuts at fair prices.

by Anonymousreply 1103/14/2019

Sorry R10, I am just entering the workforce, I'm 22, on my own. Hopefully I can work my way up to a Brioni or Zegna suit but they cost as much as the car I'm driving right now.

by Anonymousreply 1203/14/2019

Try J. Crew or Banana Republic. They have good starter suits for someone your age and budget. Shop Nordstrom, too. As mentioned, go with navy or dark gray, no pattern. White shirts. And if you're buying dress shoes, get a pair of nice black lace-ups. Those should be your first dressy pair, not brown.

by Anonymousreply 1303/14/2019

I agree with R13's suggestion about the black wingtips. Although people do pretty much whatever they want today and look great, the "rule" is that only lace ups are to be worn with a suit unless you're wearing a tuxedo and then a patent leather slip-on is fine.

Give your age and budget I'd shop all the better department stores; e.g., Nordstrom's, Saks, Macy's, etc., and try to find a sale. Stick to a dark color such as blue or black. For your first suit I wouldn't go with anything but a solid. You can always wear the pieces separately and change the look with different ties and pocket squares.

The key to looking great in a suit though is going to be TAILORING! No shade toward R7, but it's impossible for a suit to fit perfectly off the rack. It might fit okay but having it tailored by a good tailor who knows what he's doing is going to turn "okay" into "spectacular!" Budget $100 to $150 in tailoring.

by Anonymousreply 1403/14/2019

OP, here - I'm not r10. My price point is a little higher. Any suggestions?

And thanks r8 for the tough love! That's a brilliant idea - but admittedly more of a project. Will consider it though.

by Anonymousreply 1503/14/2019

The thing about ebay is that you don't know if what you're getting is authentic. There are so many fakes out there that unless you are well versed with these thing you could get ripped off. I have several colleagues who thought they were purchasing Brioni, only to receive obvious fakes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/14/2019

[quote] rugby player build.

It's not fucking Grindr, lol.

You're fat.

by Anonymousreply 1703/14/2019

And OP, now that we've got that out of the way, this is Datalounge.

Fashion threads will inevitably veer towards R1 and brands like JC Penney, Men's Wearhouse, Target and, for a really big splurge, Macy's

There are a bunch of decent fashion blogs and Reddit threads where you can find much better help if your budget allows.

How old are you OP? That will help a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2019

Don't buy your first suit on ebay. You're much better off going to a good men's store or department store in your area and looking at the top of the line suits to learn what quality is. The salesmen will be more experienced. Be honest with them. You don't have to buy anything on your first trip in. Once you have a better idea of what's available, zero in on some brands that seem appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2019

[quote] I have an old Boss one thats over 10 years old-

That would imply that this is not actually his first suit R19

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2019

OP said he was 22. So his previous suit was from when he was 12?

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2019

wear Mark Powell. Bespoke and ready to wear

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2019

Somehow I lost an ‘I’ there - R22.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2019

OP, again - that guy who said he's 22 aint me. I'm 36.

"You're fat."

Only where it counts!

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2019

R12 here I am NOT the OP. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!