Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

paid time off

I've heard that it is now pretty common for US companies to offer 3 weeks of vacation time your first year at a company. In the past 2 weeks was the usual scenario. Is that how it is at your company?

It can be hard to compare, since some companies also have sick days, and of course there are holidays.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2019 2:23 AM

I get 4 weeks vacation, 9 personal days, and 8 holidays. Other than the holidays, I only use about 2 weeks of time off per year, since it’s too painful to come back to so much work piled up and it’s too disruptive for everyone else for me to be gone too long.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 11:18 PM

You shouldn't do that. The the personal days and lord knows, take all 4 weeks scattered through the year. Your corporation will never do anything for you when push comes to shove.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 11:19 PM

It means you have almost 8 weeks off. You need to figure out how do all your work in 44 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 11:20 PM

I get paid a lot, relatively speaking, so it’s worth it to me not to appear irresponsible by taking too much of my vacation time.

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 11:22 PM

its irresponsible to take your rightful time off? Jeez - is this Capitalist Amurca?

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 11:24 PM

Protestant work ethic.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 11:37 PM

22 days of PTO (which includes sick time). I work from home and have "called in" sick maybe twice in the past 3 years (both times I was up all night sick and just couldn't work on 2 hours sleep).

We can roll over 40 hours year to year, and I still have trouble taking the time.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 11:41 PM

I should add that the 22 days is in addition to Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and .... think that is it?

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2019 11:44 PM

I think in France everyone still starts at 30 days (i.e., 6 weeks) by law. Germany is maybe similar? European DLers can tell us.

The French also have a billion holidays - many more than the US.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2019 11:48 PM

I worked at a university in NZ. We got 6 weeks annual leave, 150 paid sick days per year and two annual pay rises. Plus a 37.5 hour working week. I’ll never have it so good again.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2019 11:51 PM

4 weeks vacation, 8 sick days (which can't be rolled over to the next year if unused), paid jury duty (length of trial), 3 days bereavement leave for death of a close family member, 3 days of paid time for doing volunteer work in the community, 10 paid holidays.

by Anonymousreply 11March 14, 2019 12:16 AM

That poll should have other options. Teacher at CUNY - adjunct - since 2006. Zero paid holidays, zero paid vacation days, multiple long unpaid breaks. Yes, I do get paid sick time but it is only usable during the QUARTER in which it’s earned. It doesn’t accumulate at all. Plus we are discouraged from using it.

by Anonymousreply 12March 15, 2019 2:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!