Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I haven't paid taxes in the last 5 years

Posting this after I saw a thread about guys with low credit scores being undateable (and I wonder why I am lonesome on Grindr and OKCupid). To be fair, it is not entirely my fault since several things were out of my control. My credit score is abysmal, of course. I have already applied for a credit card to remedy the latter situation. Has anyone been in a similar situation re: unpaid taxes? If yes, where should I start? I tried getting my transcripts online from the IRS website but it kicks me out for "incorrect information". Phone calls to the agency don't work either. Does anyone know of a good (and not too expensive) tax consultant in NYC who might be able to help me out or, at least, figure out where to start? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2019 2:05 AM

Shouldn't you be at work in the White House, Mr. Trump?

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 11:02 PM

It’s executive time!

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 11:06 PM

It's about time to press the panic button OP.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 11:09 PM

When you say you haven't paid taxes in 5 years, do you mean that you think you owe taxes - and didn't even file?

I will say, I've been there (though I didn't go on a five year binge). I didn't file taxes for two years in a row. For reasons that were pretty much my own damn fault. In the end, I made an appointment at my local IRS office, and they helped me file my back returns. They have everything - W2, etc. I ended up owing (shocker) but it wasn't a fortune. You will be bit by the failure to file penalty, but do not let this go on. If you try to file the most recent year, they will (at least in my case) come back and ask, "WTF happened to the past two years?".

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 11:15 PM

Thanks! I will try and file for this year and see what happens. By the way, this is Jared.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 11:24 PM

OK, I will admit, I missed the humor.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 11:42 PM

Even if you do owe the IRS a lot of money, they will work with you to do a payment plan. However, if you agree to a payment plan and can't make the payments, you need to contact the IRS immediately. I've worked with the IRS for 30+ years and they are reasonable as LONG AS YOU REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH THEM AND COMMUNICATE WITH THEM. It is when the taxpayer refuses or won't communicate with the IRS that the shit hits the proverbial fan.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2019 11:51 PM

Sure. My income for the last five years has been pretty measly. Without going into specifics, I can say that it was less than $30,000 per annum on average. So I don't think I owe much to the IRS. It is the penalty that I am trying to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 8March 14, 2019 12:01 AM

If you were employed and had taxes withheld, you may be due a refund. But the statute of limitations on refunds is three years, so you might have lost out on some money.

Anyway, there are NO penalties of any kind for filing late UNLESS YOU OWE MONEY. Because the penalties (and interest) are computed on the amount you owe.

by Anonymousreply 9March 15, 2019 2:00 AM

It's not federal that fucks you if they catch up with you, it's State. They will not compromise or waive fees.

by Anonymousreply 10March 15, 2019 2:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!