Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell us about your brother?

Is he nice, supportive, lazy, annoying, etc?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2019 2:11 AM

Mine has nice nipples.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2019 11:29 AM

Are they brothers or a gay couple?

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2019 11:47 AM

I have an identical twin and a younger brother.

We grew up very close to each other.

My sisters-in-law don’t like each other and have driven some distance into the relationship, but I am still very close with both of them.

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2019 11:52 AM

They're both OK. I'm the youngest. We're "getting up there."

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2019 12:07 PM

That's sweet, r3. Do you and your twin brother have a "twin bond," or are you just as close to your non-twin brother?

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2019 12:09 PM

My experience with identical twins is "steer clear."

You will always be number two in the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2019 1:06 PM

I have an older brother and a younger brother. I love them both. We live in different states, but they each visit me and I visit them, although they don't visit each other.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2019 12:56 AM

He's a full of himself asshole in SALES (figures). Older by four years. Always treated me and my mother like shit...he has a long happy marriage, I like his wife a lot. If he cheated on her she'd kick his ass to the curb in a millisecond, but he's not the cheating type. Really.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2019 1:01 AM

Lazy, annoying, non-supportive. I never hear from him unless he needs something, and he hasn't remembered my birthday for decades, even though I remember his. And his wife's. And his three kids'.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2019 1:02 AM

[quote] Ya straight men need an organizer who usually is a sister. My cousins (brothers) see each other every 3-4 years when the wives plan a visit and my boyfriend is also the initiator with his brother. I don’t have a brother and I’m okay with that based on what I’ve seen. Seems the odds are against being best buddies in adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2019 1:04 AM

I love my brother.....every night 😈

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2019 1:09 AM

My brother was 5 years older than me and died of AIDS in 1991 at the age of 31, just before the cocktail that kicked in for many to survive long term. He was by far the most handsome and charismatic person in our family. But he was also a mess having belonged to Alcoholics Anonymous, narcotics anonymous and gamblers anonymous at the end though he was clean for the last years of his life and had a pretty supportive partner.

He compressed many lives into his short time on earth. Despite dying of AIDS he looked beautiful on his death bed, he was tanned and toned from having been to Hawaii weeks before. It was like he was so vain he had forbidden himself to look bad. Salmonella entered his nervous system and he deteriorated very quickly having a limp, struggling to walk and then bed-bound within weeks to death. It’s been a few years, but I actually visited his grave today.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2019 1:21 AM

Older and younger - both really good people. The only people I could trust with my life and who I know will always do anything for me. Almost more than my partner.

The older is a workaholic with a bitch trophy wife. The younger one is nice, unambitious guy who does everything his wife says. Seeing straight marriages makes me so glad I wasn’t straight. Seems like pure misery. I guess straight guts are forced to put up with it. I can’t imagine having their lives - but the do it for the kids. I dread every second I have to spend with their wives. But am grateful for all the nieces and nephews.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Lol! I only have sisters and I think it’s the husbands who make straight marriage seem awful! One of my sisters had no kids and their marriage seems enviable. They’re the only couple I know who don’t just put up with each other for the kids because there are none and I really hope I can have a relationship like theirs someday.

Funny how those of

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2019 1:50 AM

Those of WHAT R14?

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2019 1:59 AM

I just have the one brother and he is two years older than me. We were never really close when younger, like best friends would be. He was better in sports and I was better academically. He struggled with relationships and financially when younger but ended up in a stable marriage, well-respected in his field and quite wealthy. We talk fairly often and get along okay now. Our political and religious beliefs differences keep us from being closer, I suppose, because we avoid many subjects that could result in an argument. We've learned to respect each other, which is good, but will never be close.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2019 2:11 AM

There’s already been a thread on this OP. Would it have killed you to do a search before you posted this? I mean really? Do you think you could have just done a search?Yes it

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2019 2:21 AM

I have a sister three years younger than me who I despise. I have a brother five years younger than me who is terrific. He's sort of artsy. I don't like how my sister treats him and so by default he and I are much closer. He's a good guy and he LOVES talking to me.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2019 11:18 PM

He's older by six years, bookish and a professor. Has brilliant kids and wife but all quite odd but also very loving and caring.. They speak almost all Spanish in the home as she' is from S. America. I don't mind that but some do. (Our mother!)

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2019 11:23 PM

Mine is less than two years older than I am and even though a DOG can look at a woman's tummy and see that something is growing inside her, my (later Harvard educated) bother went into denial.

He acted displaced when I arrived. There's home videos of him screaming at me turning beet red over nothing.

Fast forward a few years later, and Pops dies. I was left to his mercies and a mother who used to say: he lost his father.

Thank god I watched tons of old movies and soaps and picked up comebacks like: "No, Mother. I lost his father!"

She's old now. He's not around much, of course.

I have searched for a replacement in my life for decades. The happy memories and successes can fill a few thimbles, but I'm grateful for them. The BMOC who threw the football with me in college. The muscle stud who I begged to screw me once and he kissed me on the forehead and said, 'Oh, baby. You're not ready.'

He was right. I wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2019 11:27 PM

No brothers, but my bf has an identical twin, and two older brothers. All very handsome. Their dad died, my guy came out, HUGE drama. But they like me now, and they all hate the twin's wife. My plan is to top all four .

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2019 11:53 PM

I have 2 older twin brothers that I cut out of my life. One of them cheated on his wife with a cam model he met online who managed to convince him she was the love of his life and took him for 100k before his wife found out and divorced him. He has to pay her back every dime because it was an inheritance from her parents.

The other one is a nasty narcissist with probable BPD that hasn't worked in 4 years. His own daughters can't stand to be in the same room with him and he treats his wife like shit. I love my nieces and my sister-in-law and we find time to get together but my brother is no longer welcome in my home.

It's a sad situation but we were never that close to begin with and I just don't have time for all that negativity at in my life.

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2019 11:56 PM

My little brother is taller, hairier, and has a smaller penis than me, though his foreskin is longer and has a cool tapered snout unlike my fat mushroom head which always threatens to bust out of its hoodie. Any other questions?

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2019 12:04 AM

My older brother was always self-absorbed, lacking in intellectual inquisitiveness, lazy and not at all supportive as you might expect an older sibling would be. I on the other hand, being the younger sibling, was basically the polar opposite, constantly reading, willing to lend a helping hand to family and friends, and always involved in some ongoing home improvement project. I feel that if I was the first born instead I may have been a better influence on my other siblings.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2019 12:09 AM

Like me, my brothers Kevin and Joe have met their soulmates and are in happily-ever-after hetero relationships.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2019 12:12 AM

Mine became very religious in his mid twenties...he thinks I'm a heathen and rarely speaks to me. My narcissistic mother made sure there was always rivalry between the two of us...we were never able to have any sort of a relationship because of that and his religiousness

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2019 12:23 AM

My brother is in a nursing home because of lupus. He was always very athletic and so talented. He rode his bicycle 30 miles a day and built weekend cabins and within three years he can't walk or tell you his birth date. He's a great guy and on his good days still so funny.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2019 12:39 AM

R21, thank God the old guy died. Otherwise, you would try to whore yourself out to the oldman too.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2019 12:41 AM

My brother is 11 years older than me and a bit of a father figure when I was growing up. I didn't understand why he'd behave like a brat sometimes because I thought at fifteen he was an adult. I spent my childhood alternating between idolizing him and wanting to strangle him.

But honestly even though he was mischievous he was very good to me. He was always on my side and protected me from my then psycho elder sister (she got better but she had lots of issues when we were kids).

He's supportive, he's kind, he's good and I adore him and his three brats. He's the only one in the family who knows why I never brought anyone home.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2019 12:43 AM

I have one younger brother; we look absolutely nothing alike. He has Asperger's I believe, although my mother doesn't like it when I bring up the subject. We live fairly near each other, but never see each other. We mostly learn of each other's doings via our mother. We don't dislike each other, there's just no "there" there.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2019 12:55 AM

My brother died twenty years ago--he was dead to me long before. It took Nature a couple of decades to figure out what the rest of us knew--he was a waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2019 12:58 AM

My younger brother has schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2019 12:58 AM

My brother is an aging hipster with a huge social life and despite being cynical he is very likeable. He's a bomb and chick magnet and has lots of gay friends, too. He has a good job and doesn't do drugs but used to drink too much without being an alcoholic. He didn't make any babies, and neither did I. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2019 1:08 AM

R12 - that is such a touching post. Thank you for sharing, I'm sorry for your loss.

So, I have fraternal twin younger brothers. I have always said if you took my personality, split it in half, and exaggerate the two halves, you'd have my brothers. One is an academic, married (LOVE his wife), three boys (twins and an older son), somewhat liberal, funny as hell; the other one is super out-going, handsome married (wife is nice - but a bit controlling), three kids (son and two daughters), pretty conservative and quite religious (sort of evangelical...) I love them both - always have - we were very close growing up and still enjoy being together (even though we don't all see eye-to-eye on some things. I told them I was a 'mo when I was in my early '20s as I was planning to move to SF with my partner (we've been together 36 years - you do the math...) and though they were a bit shocked - they took it well and have been supportive my whole life since then. When we decided to have kids (almost 10 years ago...), they were both really happy for us and have been great uncles to our two kids. Probably shared too much - but I do love my bros

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2019 1:14 AM

why is it the ones with nice brothers are the ones whose brothers die and the ones who have assholic brothers have ones that live

I seem to only lose the people in my life who treat me well.

Not all. A lot.

One of the funniest lines I ever head on TV was from Lois Griffin after her asshole father in law died.

"Well, he treated me like crap the entire time he knew me, but, yes...this IS a tragedy."

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2019 6:30 AM

My brother lives six hours away in upstate New York, he's older by six years. Married to a wonderful woman, two adult kids. He visits me twice a year, I visit him twice a year. I cried when he left for college, we had shared a room through my youth and initially I was thrilled to have my own room, until the day he left for college

My brother has about ten nicknames for me, Kensington Park, Beauty Boy, Rainbow Boy, Pepper Pot.

He's not annoying, he's generous, but he has no filter and no sense of boundaries. I'm a moderate democrat, he's way to the left of me.

Very physically active, we hike or run when we get together.

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2019 4:14 AM

Wow - a straight brother who is more left!?! That’s a rarity. Lucky you R36.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2019 5:34 PM

My older brother is dumb as a rock no one looks up to him. I'm 4 years younger and since my parents are dead I'm considered the patriarch of the family.

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2019 6:04 PM

I only half a half-brother and 2 step brothers. My half brother is tall, super skinny, blonde with green eyes. He's aloof like my dad and soft spoken.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2019 6:52 PM

My brother is a year and a half older than me. He's not all that smart, but he's always been my greatest protector. He gets along fine with my boyfriend. We shared a room growing up. He didn't help much taking care of my parents when they were going downhill, sadly. He had an awful divorce, and has only slept with one woman since then. He's pretty much given up on women. Between my brother and sister, I'm the one who has had the longest term relationship.

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2019 2:37 AM

He is dead.

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2019 3:24 AM

I have no idea what R20 is talking about in the first paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2019 3:30 AM

He was born prematurely and died. He was younger than me by two years.. Even now, in my 60s, I wonder how different (and happier) I would have been with a brother and another masculine presence in my life, given that I had a very weak, passive father, a virago of a mother (their marriage was very Edward Albee) and three younger sisters.

by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2019 3:31 AM

Brother is older by six years. Imagine the most warped, evil, sociopathic insane person, and multiply it by 100. Absolute waste of human.

by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2019 3:54 AM

Wow R44 - sounds a little over dramatic. Now please give us some examples.

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2019 4:06 AM

I have an older brother who's always been kind of scary. He got my dad's paranoid personality traits and constantly thinks people are looking at him or talking about him, and he repeatedly presents me with normal social interactions for analysis. Like after going through the checkout at the supermarket - he'll tell me line for line what the interaction was and then insist that the perfectly average interaction was somehow strange and the cashier thought he was weird, gave him strange looks, and probably talked about him with other employees after he left. Then he'll ask me something like "Do you think they know when I come in? Do you think the checker said something and now they'll watch me?"

He keeps asking me about the government's ability to listen to his phone conversations and sometimes we have to talk in a vague manner using childhood references only we know about as a kind of code to talk about whatever subject he's currently obsessed with. He asks if I can "hear that noise" when we're on the phone (he thinks he hears clicks, background voices, or other strange sounds on the phone sometimes - except I can never hear them). He asks over and over if people can tell who you are on the internet.

He's obsessed with some aspects of other people's lives - how much money they have primarily, but also whether they're happy. But when he thinks people are happy and financially secure, he insists they're hiding things and aren't as happy as they appear. He seems to think the world is a facade - that everyone is faking it and hiding their "real lives." Secrets. Secrets everywhere.

To his credit, he doesn't believe in far out conspiracy theories and he's not a Trump lover or anything like that. He doesn't think aliens are real, or that there are secret tunnels under landmarks, or that the earth is flat. He's grounded in reality enough to know real nonsense when he sees it. It's the day to day living among humanity that gives him such grief.

You name it - a trip to the market, a family gathering, a drink at a bar, a day at work - no matter what the situation there will be someone who is watching him when he's not looking, or if they look at him and he sees it, it will have been a "strange look" that he'll obsess about and ask me to analyze. He thinks he remembers the actual sentences in conversations will repeat entire exchanges to me because the sentences can't be taken at face value. There's always a hidden meaning behind what people say. And if I analyze it, he'll believe anything I tell him as long as it's NOT "That was a perfectly average interaction; you're obsessing over nothing." That he won't believe.

But if I tell him the checker at the supermarket probably was looking at him strangely because he bought five cans of Campbell's soup and that it is a it strange thing to do, he'll light up and ask eagerly, "Why is five cans of Cambell's a strange thing to buy?" It's like I've just given him a prize.

If I build on that and say "Most people buy even numbers. It's just weird to buy an odd number, and you look like someone who would by Progresso anyway, not Campbell's," he'll ask more and more questions about even and odd numbers, other products he purchased, and repeatedly ask what "most people" would have purchased. He'll continue as long as I'll keep answering questions, and he'll keep coming back around to what "most people" would do. Like there's a way to be normal and he's forever trying to figure out what that is.

At the same time, people he sees as "normal" are hiding and faking things, often with some component of ill intent toward him. It's exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2019 4:32 AM

@R46 TL;DR

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2019 4:41 AM

R46 = Paranoid father and brother. The end.

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2019 4:58 AM

I am R36, my older brother is not a fan of organized religion either. He's raising his kids to be religious, but then he'll tell me on the side that religion is like brainwashing.

People have been telling me for years that he's quiet, shy, moody, withdrawn. I've only noticed that myself in the last couple of years, but he loves yap at me about sports and politics and how horrible Trump is. Power To The People!

I got into a lot of trouble at a summer resort when I was 12 or 13. Some guys were sort of bullying my older brother and I took my bat and hit two of them in their legs.

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2019 1:18 AM

Haven't talked to my half-brother in 20 years. Don't like him, don't care anything about him. He may not even be my half-brother because his mother was a total whore, he doesn't look like any of the rest of us. A deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2019 1:22 AM

R46. He sounds like he's on the high end of the spectrum (and I don't mean that in the usual snide DL way of referring to people with ASD).

by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2019 2:08 AM

Both are pieces of work for different reasons.

I’m the youngest of 3 boys. My oldest brother is very talented and successful but a complete cunt. He was horrible to me growing up....physically brutal, angry, selfish and just cruel. He treated me like shit and really treated his girlfriends like shit. He ended up marrying a complete psycho alcoholic that I avoid like the plague. They have one son who is very sweet and intelligent. My heart breaks for him.

My other brother was a total asshole to me growing up as well ... but we’ve actually become close. He’s also successful - as a fashion and commercial photographer. He lives in LA with his wife, who is nuts too. He cheats on her all the time and still parties like a 20-year old. His dude posse is actually very cool....all are artsy types ...and I enjoy visiting and hanging with all of them in Silver Lake. They have crazy stories about a ton of celebrities. Like crazy crazy stories.

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2019 2:22 AM

Psychopathic criminal, I'm sorry to relate.

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2019 4:59 AM

He's five years younger, and a gullible fool who is attracted to all the wrong things and people, a deadly combination. At one point, he was living in a seedy apartment building, and every drug dealer and hooker knew exactly what day he'd cash his paycheck. All his money would be gone in under 24 hours. He's always been kind-hearted, but tremendously plagued by addictions. He stole my mother's wedding ring and pawned it. One of the least convincing liars on the planet. Somehow he found a foolish woman to marry him. These two dopes are both over 50 years old, and neither has one penny saved for an emergency, let alone retirement. He has been and always will be a source of worry for the family, and I know I will be doomed to support him in his old age.

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2019 5:36 AM

he is so hot and sweet, we started making out at 12, and we still have get togethers now and then at hotels when we can get away from our wives.....we have a true passion for each other and will alwys be there for each other , ive never had sex with another person to match the sensual amour of my bro, my tru love.

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2019 5:50 AM

My brother lives just two hours away from our aging parents and never makes any time for them. It bugs the fucking shit out of me. He’s going to inherit his equal share after our parents are gone, because they love us all, and it doesn’t bother him at all. He’s basically in a great job but does fuck all for his parents who gave him an allowance til college.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2019 5:58 AM

One brother 18 months younger. Never got on. Stopped talking to me when I was 15, except to threaten and bully me. Was a big sports jock, I was the academic one . Was kicked out of the house when he was 20 after he threatened to beat me up. Rarely catch sight of one another. Latest was at family funeral when he arrived shook every hand and blanked me totally. He was a hard drinker and occasionally breaks out. His blanking oh me made me realize he’s really dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2019 6:10 AM

My brother is a homophobic prick 10 years older who has treated me like shit my entire life.

I overheard him having a fight with his ex about their cats. He wanted them back, she wouldn't let him. She was an awesome chick who didn't wait on him hand and foot like our mother did and moved on fast after he cheated. He let slip that the Asian student he left her for was a real woman who treated him like a real man. 18 months later, said Asian student fucked off back to China with her MBA, new passport and twin babies.

I laughed and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2019 7:42 AM

I have an identical twin brother. He’s such a fundie right wing Trumpian nutjob, I have nothing to do with him.

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2019 10:51 AM

My older brother is a super-driven, type A, alpha male who grew up as thoroughly self-involved and narcissistic as our parents. I was pretty lonely as a kid. My brother became an enormously successful entrepreneur and is now probably one of the 1000 richest men in America. Many of you undoubtedly use his company. Weirdly, somewhere along the way -- maybe because he had kids, maybe because he married a nice woman, or maybe because after pushing himself and everyone around him relentlessly for most of his life, he's calmed down about all that -- he's slowly turned into a pretty good person. He and I get along well now, we talk every few weeks, he's helped me with loans when I needed money (given his financial prowess, he can't quite actually give me money, but he's willing to loan me as much as I want with no interest). Most interesting, he's remained very liberal politically, despite all his peers having become republicans. He and his wife are major figures in the democratic party and he has given a great deal of money to educational issues that are important to both of us. I just wish I hadn't lost him for those 50 years when he was kind of intolerable. But it's ending very well.

by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2019 11:15 AM

My brother is four years younger. He is married to a very nice woman but has decided he prefers to spend time with her family so I rarely see him or talk to him. He hasnt visited my mom in three years. He’s never met my younger daughter. I thought we were close but a year after my dad died he went nuclear on me when I sent him a picture of the gravestone when I visited it. He told me we (my brother and I) were never close, that he felt I was mean to him when we were kids, and he wasnt even sure he loved me. It broke my heart and I dont really know what to do to fix it. Just giving him his space but at this point I think he sees my mother and me as both burdensome people and he doesnt want anything to do with us.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2019 11:16 AM

I'm the oldest - 3 boys and a sister. Brother #1, is two years younger, we were total opposites as youngsters, and fought like cats and dogs -we get along fine now, he married a great gal, 2nd marriage for both - It is a Brady Bunch set up, but at this time all the kids have moved out. Brother #2 is 6 years younger. He recently has divorced himself from the rest of the family, including my parents, who are both 82 - went on a texting rant, changed his phone number... It broke my mothers heart. Despite us both being gay, have never been close, so it's no great loss in my life. My sister is 7 years younger, 2 kids. She married a successful engineer capital R Republican. Nice guy, a bit reserved - is puzzled by our family, all Democrats and all artistic.

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2019 11:57 AM

I am 22, I have an identical twin, I am gay and he is not. We were offered a huge amount of $ by a millionaire guy in LA to have sex with him. At first my twin said hell no, but the guy doubled the amount, and he said ok, We had to practice some so he would feel ok making out with the guy, a hottie studio exec who is 35, so we have been kissing and sucking some, he just makes himself go thru it for the $, I cant lie, my twin Is a hot jock and im digging the fuk out of it. Sposed to see the guy next weekend at his Malibu place, Will keep you posted. (last nite my twin fuked me to get used to it, he came in me!!!!! I enjoyed it

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2019 12:02 PM

My brother M is only 1 ,5 yrs older than me. We were both abused by our narcissistic borderline mother (I posted this before). I became very rebellious toward her at 13 and after 13 yrs of being raged at daily I finally yelled at her to go fuck herself..OMG if was liberating...the shock on ther face. My brother basically took her abuse in and did everything in his power to please her, not that it helped. He started to stutter at the age of 7 to 8 and also started to bite his lips until they were raw...causing mother to rage more at him because he wasn't being the perfect child he was expected to be.

He became very religious when he married his orthodox wife. We were reformed Jew who only went to temple when it suited mother, we have no real religious upbringing. My brother went the complete opposite and is super observant. Perhaps it give him comfort as I know the abuse still torments him. When she died, he actually went into her grave to shovel dirt..dont ask me, Im a heathen. He had to be told by the rabbi doing the service to get out.

We rarely speak, maybe a text to each other on our birthdays. I only wish him happiness

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2019 12:14 PM

I have loved my baby brother (6 years younger) since he came home from the hospital. He's like this perfect person in my eyes. Was my mom's favorite. When Trump got into the white house we were on opposite sides. But as the months went on, he realized what a douche trump was and regretted his vote. (He only voted for him because of he hated Hillary.) He works his ass off seven days a week, has raised three kids and is a great dad. No downside to our relationship. I can take or leave his wife though. (She's still a trumpette.)

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2019 12:49 PM

I wanted a sibling so badly in my younger years. Even before my brother was born, I was so excited to meet him. And it's been great ever since. When my family realized my brother was special needs, it was at a time when that stuff was just starting to become more noticed in the general population. I wasn't sad to learn he was autistic, it made me love him more. Having a special needs sibling is totally different from a standard sibling relationship--it's way better. You tend not to fight the way siblings do and if your younger sibling is the one with special needs, you treat them like you would your own child. I am in my 30s now and my brother is in his 20s and I still view him as a child. I am excited to take care of him when I'm older and I love seeing him when I visit home. I feel "blessed" to have him as my brother. He has taught me how to take care of others and that real love is never selfish. When you love someone, always give without expecting anything in return.

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2019 1:30 PM

I have an older brother, we are similar in some ways and very different in others. We spent a lot of time together as teenagers, especially because he lived at home during University while I was still at home, so he only left home shortly before I did really (when I went away to University in another part of the country).

Sometimes I think he's a complete arsehole and sometimes we get on well, we still argue with each other but we've never had a proper falling out as adults and I can't imagine that ever happening. One thing that really annoys me about him is he will always try to put me down in front of our parents, over really stupid things, which he doesn't really do if they are not around. I don't really get it - it annoys me that my parents don't really comment but I suppose they know that I can stand up for myself and I don't take his bullshit, so I usually end up making him look the fool.

The other thing that annoys me a lot is the older brother syndrome of being absolutely convinced he knows best and a younger brother couldn't possibly be more informed and be able to advise on anything. I think to some extent in families you are stuck in a particular role forever, no matter how old you are or what you do in life, and as the 'baby' in the family I am disregarded.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2019 2:18 PM

He's two years younger and my best friend. We've always gotten along well and go on double dates at least once a month. I like his girlfriend a lot and I think they are going to get engaged pretty soon.

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]You will always be number two in the relationship.

Unless you seduce both twins. Then, you'll always be number one!!!

by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2019 2:31 PM

I have two half brothers 10 and 13 years younger.

The older of the two was born gorgeous and girls fawned over him from the time he was younger. He's tall blond/blue and looked like Rick Schroeder growing up. Super smart but unfocused and then turned druggie asshole. I will never forgive him for stealing our mother's pain pills after her mastectomy. She took one when she got home and he stole the rest and then came back for all of her jewelry. He was also somehow was taking the mortgage money so she lost her home too.

The other one is short, shy and studious, looks like Zach Galifinakis. Got a good job and married a bit later in life. I don't think they'll have kids so I envy their child free vacation life

by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2019 2:35 PM

I am one of four sons. I am close to all my brothers, but we've had and have different relationships with each other. My older two brothers are two years apart from each other, and I cam along 5 years after my second brother. My younger brother is two years younger than I. Growing up, my younger brother and I were closer, sharing a room and many friends. He's had some issues in his life, but he overcame them and today he is a successful small business owner with a very nice wife. My older brothers are both very successful professionals. My oldest brother always was the oldest brother, and we looked up to him. My second brother was always the guy who teased me and my younger brother, but never in a malicious way. If there was a bully in the neighborhood picking on us or other kids, he'd always come to the rescue. We're close still. His wife is lovely, as are his kids. But he's rather conservative politically (finances and taxes). Couldn't stand the Clintons, appalled by Trump, but still voted Republican. We've always needled each other on political matters, but I've avoided talking to him about politics since the election of 2016.

My oldest brother and I are both gay, so we have become very close because of that. He's very kind, and I love his husband to bits. Our straight brothers support us wholeheartedly. We've all grown closer since both our parents are now dead. I miss my parents terribly, and it's good to have brothers with whom to share memories of them.

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2019 2:46 PM

My brother is an asshole. I try not to think about him.

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2019 2:48 PM

My younger brother was a Patrick Swayze double, but with no ego. He never understood why girls (and guys, when I took to a gay bar) made a fuss over him. This self-effacing quality made him even more attractive. Of course, he and his beautiful wife popped out a couple of carbon copy beauties who seem to have inherited his fine qualities as well. I always had self-esteem issues but as the oldest, my brother always looked up to me and supported me in every facet of my life.

by Anonymousreply 73November 7, 2019 3:07 PM

Given that this is DL, I am somewhat surprised by all the happy brother stories. Wouldn't have expected it.

by Anonymousreply 74November 7, 2019 3:24 PM

Lives in a bubble where his life is amazing when it literally isn't!Only visits us once a year for a few hours with his girlfriend and kids and doesn't know anymore about us then the last time they came.

by Anonymousreply 75November 7, 2019 3:42 PM

No brothers but my husband has two. Both are just sitting around waiting for their parents to die to get their inheritance. One talked their parents into buying a house together and then left abruptly (two months after possession) because his wife hates my truly lovely MIL. The reality is that my in laws didn’t want to sign on to a second mortgage on the house for them. They’ve frittered away over 100k of my in laws money. Including selling their car and pocketing the money. He’s a truly evil scumbag. The other one is not a thief but does less than zero for my in laws. My husband is wonderful to them and sincerely loves them. As I told them both (and I mean it) You should leave your estate to charity. They deserve nothing.

by Anonymousreply 76November 7, 2019 3:51 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2019 1:19 PM

4 Younger brothers and all terrific

by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2019 1:29 PM

many of these stories are heartbreaking ...

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2019 8:03 PM

R42, my mother said 'we didn't tell your brother (not bother, sorry) you were coming,' as if to give him a pass for being so abusive to me.

I've noticed even a dog can look at a woman's tummy and see that there's a baby.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2019 8:56 PM

I have five brothers and they're all quite spectacular in their own way. Solid working-class background and some are more successful than others but we're all in our 60s & 70s now and are very supportive of one another. We still enjoy each others' company immensely. Funny thing is that a couple of them have a few divorces each and yet the wives, ex-wives, ex-wives' families all get along and we all see each other frequently. And it's not even a small town! They all love my spouse and even the two conservatives have no problem saying "my brother's husband." I'm damn lucky.

by Anonymousreply 81November 9, 2019 12:17 AM

He’s a bitter asshole.

by Anonymousreply 82November 9, 2019 5:11 AM

I am the first of two, with one younger brother. We're three years apart, and have always been close (I think this phenomenon is common when there are only two siblings). We're similar in many ways, although we have major differences—he is a partier, and I am the complete opposite. He was always the "trouble" child, while I behaved and kept my head in the books. I'm the only person in my immediate family with a college education (and a graduate degree), while he dropped out of high school. Despite the differences we do have, we get along very well, though we can drive each other insane if we're around one another too much. He was the first person in my family that I came out to, so I think that is a testament to how much I trust him.

by Anonymousreply 83November 9, 2019 5:51 AM

I have two older brothers who are straight and a younger gay brother who’s sixteen months younger. The younger brother is very strong minded, stubborn and very loyal. His husband has OCD and is controlling so of course, we don’t care for each other. I’d do anything for my kid brother.

by Anonymousreply 84November 9, 2019 4:18 PM

My brother is three years older and was the middle child our family of 5 kids. For most of his life he seemed like a lost soul that didn't connect with anyone in the family. Alcoholism destroyed his body and as a 59 year old he is physically more like an 80 year old. I don't know how but the doctors at the V.A. somehow got through to him and in his early 50's he gave up booze. He's a stubborn, aloof curmudgeon that watches those crappy cable channels that have ugly shows like Pawn Stars and tattoo shows. I am sure he is a Trump'er but I wouldn't dare talk politics with him because I am just happy that he is alive and sort of in my life. In fact I wouldn't mind if he came to live me as I have a house that is really too big for just myself.

by Anonymousreply 85November 9, 2019 11:29 PM

I had a dream a about my brother last night. He was killed by a drunk driver 41 years ago on his way to a concert with a family friend. He was only 18, a year and a half older than I, and over the years he's appeared in dreams occasionally.

In my dream I was thinking I need to ask him why he was allowed to quit school at 17 but I woke before I had the chance.

The dreams are always calming and so real, it's like he's never left. I like his visits.

by Anonymousreply 86November 10, 2019 12:36 AM

One older, one younger, both assholes and I haven't seen nor spoken to either of them since the day of my mother's funeral (which I had to organize, along with her care during the last 10 years of her life) 25 years ago last month. Both are misogynistic, homophobic, right-wing gun nuts with bad hygiene and worse grooming.

People who don't know them sometimes say how terrible it must be to have no relationship with my siblings. I tell them it's far, far better than having a relationship with them.

by Anonymousreply 87November 10, 2019 12:36 AM

I have a brother - we have never been close. NRA member, drives a truck, and eats squirrels. Pretty sure he slaps his wife around too, but she's too damn dumb to leave. Spent his teens and twenties dealing drugs and now thinks he's Mr. Perfect.

Oh, and then there's the half brother I learned about a few years ago. Never met him, though, but he can't be any worse than the squirrel eating slap happy redneck, can he?

by Anonymousreply 88November 10, 2019 12:43 AM

R63 This is Datalounge, not Nifty. Save the friction fiction for them.

by Anonymousreply 89November 10, 2019 12:46 AM

My brother married a post-op (I know we’re not supposed to say that anymore) trans woman. I honestly never would’ve known if they hadn’t told me.

by Anonymousreply 90November 10, 2019 12:50 AM

I have a younger brother that I’m very close it. We are constantly texting each other and talk a couple of times a week. We live on different coasts but manage to take a summer vacation together in addition to the. Holidays

by Anonymousreply 91November 10, 2019 2:19 AM

Brother was still-born a month before his due date. Two sisters followed.

by Anonymousreply 92November 10, 2019 2:21 AM

He's dead. He was a crazy, scary, assault rifle toting, alcoholic mofo, and corrosive to nearly everyone in his life.

by Anonymousreply 93November 10, 2019 3:05 AM

so what if I sucked his cock, I still do …..we both married with kids now. even better

by Anonymousreply 94November 12, 2019 11:01 AM

my brother and my father both are both loners, quiet, self sufficient both divorced, and strangely self absorbed, although if you met them, you'd think them intelligent, thoughtful with a sense of humor. my younger sister died and my brother left me with an apartment full of stuff to go through. it was very hard and i'll always resent him for it...... growing up we had a great fondness for each other, so it makes me sad.

by Anonymousreply 95November 12, 2019 11:17 AM

My brother was hit by a car when we were kids, and he spent a month in a coma. My Mom used to like to tell people how I couldn't stop crying at the time. He saved my life earlier this year after I fell down and couldn't get back up off the floor. Our little sister has complained that she envies how close we are.

by Anonymousreply 96November 12, 2019 11:35 AM

My brother is seven years younger than me. He’s also gay (or as my parents say, they hit the lottery twice). He’s a very talented, intelligent, creative person. We share a lot of the same interests, and I clearly influenced him growing up with my pop culture and music obsessions. Although we don’t necessarily talk everyday or even every week, we get along very well and try to get together for drinks or to see a broadway show once a month or so.

by Anonymousreply 97November 12, 2019 12:38 PM

not related since 2015

by Anonymousreply 98November 12, 2019 1:29 PM

I have an older brother and we're very close. We were total opposites both physically and personality-wise. He was captain of the football team in high school, and in my town, football was everything. He excelled at sports that "mattered" while I racked up trophies and honors in sports that didn't (track, soccer, tennis). He was bigger than me and probably one of the naturally strongest people I've ever met, but he's a gentle, sensitive soul. He protected me me (5'8, slim build) from all the bullies throughout grade school, junior high, and high school.

Our interests are very different, but we can talk for hours non-stop about a million different things and never get bored. My sister-in-law, who was more like a sister to me, always said she envied how close my brother and I are and wanted that for her two kids. We can go for weeks, sometimes a few months, without speaking, then we'll be on the phone for hours catching up. Our mother has always loved that we're so close.

My brother was the first family member I told I was gay. I knew he'd be ok with it and he was. He doesn't really have a mean bone in his body, which is so odd when I think about how brutal he could be on the football field. But for him it was just sport, just competition which he loved. Lucky for me it wasn't some need to rage at the world.

My niece and nephew love it when we get together. They say they can't understand half of what we're talking about, but it's a riot to watch. We had sort of our own language and terms we'd use as kids and it carried forward as adults. Sometimes if something happens, we'll just look at each other and know what each is going to say then start laughing uproariously. He gets along great with my partner.

I'm really glad I have a brother like that. I hope we stay close forever.

by Anonymousreply 99November 12, 2019 1:40 PM

I have three. Arse holes all. Thankfully my sister-in-laws are marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 100November 12, 2019 1:56 PM

Mine won't even accept my facebook friend request!

by Anonymousreply 101November 19, 2019 3:28 PM

He's older than me by three years. We were close growing up. We have a younger sister. She's nasty and manipulative and thoughtless. So in most family matters he and I are on the same side. His wife told me I'm his favorite. We speak once or twice a week and see each other once a month. He's quieter and more stoic than I. However, when my brother is with me or his wife, he talks a lot. He is a partner in a trucking firm. His nick name for me is "bubba".

by Anonymousreply 102November 21, 2019 1:54 AM

Mine is 22. He has severe ADHD and is a total pothead. Not an alcoholic, but drinks a TON (up to a dozen cans/bottles) on the weekends. Had a job at a food packaging plant which he was fired from after being caught vaping in the production room which led to it shutting down and all of the products thrown out. Stayed with us for one night until he started smoking weed and drinking heavily after which we made him leave. Unbeknownst to us until recently he took pictures of his belongings strewn all over our living room and managed to get our address on his I.D. card after he had it replaced. He's trying to use the photos and the I.D. card in a lameass attempt to lie to our building manager to tell her we had him living with us for nearly a year in order to get us evicted for not letting him stay with us longer. He's dating and staying with some 17 year old slut who waffles between him and the father of her child. He believes that our mother and her boyfriend as well as us are under an obligation to provide him with financial support and a place to live and claims we've ruined his life. He is very mentally unstable and has poor hygiene and acts like he was born and grew up on the street.

by Anonymousreply 103November 21, 2019 2:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!