Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dionne Warwick on gay people: “… It’s the lifestyle you’ve chosen to live and that’s your choice”

Oh, HELL no!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2019 4:16 AM

[quote][bold]You say “preference” and “lifestyle,” and I know some people still use both of those words. But a lot of gay people think they were born this way, that it wasn’t a chosen lifestyle or a preference. Do you think a gay person could be born gay?[/bold]

[quote]Absolutely. It’s not only the way you’re born, it’s the lifestyle you’ve chosen to live and that’s your choice. I can’t define what it means or how it happens or why it happens or when it happens. It just is. I look at it that way.

Her reply makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2019 12:40 AM

Oh calm down, it's not as if she referred to a linebacker in a wig as "sir".

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2019 12:40 AM

She’s elderly. It doesn’t matter what she thinks. Her niece and her grand niece overdosed and drowned in hotel bath tubs. She has bigger issues than gay people.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2019 12:41 AM

Jennifer Hudson...

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2019 12:44 AM

She's 80 years old. Your not gonna change the way she thinks and she's not saying anything against gay people. If OP is fishing to cancel Dionne Warwick, your many years too late.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2019 12:45 AM

This old bull dagger is playing dumb.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2019 12:47 AM

LEAVE DIONNE ALONE!!!

She was out there standing up for gay people before anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2019 12:47 AM

R1 I agree, but she's clearly made an effort to step away from hatred and fear. Whether she didn't quite understand the distinction being made or deliberately side-stepped it, I think she deserves a little slack. She's been an ally for a long time, that's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2019 12:52 AM

Why wouldn’t everyone choose to be gay?

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2019 12:54 AM

Dionne is right. Some people are born gay and some people choose to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2019 12:54 AM

Is she save a little prayer for us?

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2019 1:00 AM

r8 Agreed. And honestly, I was expecting something way worse before I read what she had actually said.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2019 1:01 AM

I’m not even a Warwick Stan, but basically It seems like she’s saying “gay people are born gay, and openly gay people live by choosing to accept their naturally-occurring orientation. As a straight person, I can’t pretend to understand all the complexities and nuance of the gay experience - the how’s and why’s etc., but it’s a part of the human condition. It just is a fact of life.”

Even the most PC hothouse flower would struggle to find anything offensive in that sentiment - thoughbi would put forward that it does seem like even generally supportive Black people of a certain age really struggle with a tin-eared approach to expressing themselves on anything to do with gay issues.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2019 1:05 AM

There is nothing offensive about the comment. She agrees that gays are born that way. One could argue what she means by adding chosen lifestyle to that. It could be that she means whether you live openly as gay man or stay in the closet. That's most definitely a choice.

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2019 1:27 AM

[quote]but basically It seems like she’s saying “gay people are born gay, and openly gay people live by choosing to accept their naturally-occurring orientation. As a straight person, I can’t pretend to understand all the complexities and nuance of the gay experience - the how’s and why’s etc., but it’s a part of the human condition. It just is a fact of life.”

That’s how I read it, too. She’s just less verbose and/or articulate about it. She certainly doesn’t have anything against gay people. Her using her AIDS charity as a piggy bank is far, far more troubling to me.

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2019 1:32 AM

If it weren't for gays, she'd still be looking like Patrick Ewing in drag...

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2019 1:35 AM

I think she agrees that we are born this way and choose to live the lifestyle out in the open versus being closeted or sham marriages. It is refreshing to her seeing everything more open and honest.

Not seeing as how this is supposed to make her a villainess. She is 80 and witnessed the shift.

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2019 1:58 AM

She gave perfectly fine response.

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2019 2:07 AM

Maybe she is saying this.

Yes, you are born gay, but whether you live life as an out gay person is the choice. Remember this woman is a 100 years old. In her day, many, many gay men just chose to live their lives as straight men or did the whole confirmed bachelor thing. Those gay men, who lived their lives as gay men, especially back then, made a hard, but courageous choice. Talk to an 80 year old gay man and they will tell you what life was like.

And to some degree we all are making choices about our lives, even today. I could choose to marry some frau and knock her up and live a perfectly fine suburban life, but I chose to home on Monday night posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2019 2:12 AM

Her response was fine.

There's a Dionne Warwick troll on Datalounge that even makes fun of her verbosity.

Saying you're born that way and you've also chosen it was an acknowledgement that gay people are born gay and not everyone chooses to be open about themselves and act on it except for those who do.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2019 2:14 AM

Even if she meant it in the outdated, less than PC way?

Bitch is 80. She's of her time.

I don't feel a need to cancel her over this.

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2019 2:16 AM

I think gays are so hung up on the word “choice.”

You don’t choose where your heart leads you, but you do choose whether to follow it, so to that extent, yes, it’s a choice.

by Anonymousreply 22March 12, 2019 2:17 AM

R3 Whitney was her cousin not her niece.

by Anonymousreply 23March 12, 2019 2:18 AM

The woman who sang on that's what friends are for..the AIDS song?? I find it hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2019 2:25 AM

Dionne’s been confused by her own choice to be a person of color... , she wasn’t born a dumb blonde... she’s struggled to achieve it.

by Anonymousreply 25March 12, 2019 2:29 AM

Hussy!

by Anonymousreply 26March 12, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote]She was out there standing up for gay people before anyone else.

No she was not. In fact she used up to line her own pockets during the AIDS crisis. Her "charity" as it turned out through investigation caught up with her on vacation in Brazil whereby she hid from the cameras after it was discovered 90% of the money donated went to her as salary and expenses. And I am not exaggerating the percentage.

by Anonymousreply 27March 12, 2019 2:32 AM

Dionne: “That’s What Friends Are For 🎶”

Elton: “Yeah.”

by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote] Bitch is 80. She's of her time. I don't feel a need to cancel her over this.

Bitch was canceled by the gay community long before her golden diaper years.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2019 2:34 AM

She’s not worse than Cissy and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 30March 12, 2019 2:53 AM

They say we choose our parents..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2019 2:58 AM

R26-I got your number

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 12, 2019 3:00 AM

Fuck Y'all......Miss Dionne is a GODDESS.

by Anonymousreply 33March 12, 2019 3:17 AM

[QUOTE] Your not gonna change the way she thinks and she's not saying anything against gay people. If OP is fishing to cancel Dionne Warwick, your many years too late.

I suppose you're also too late to do anything about your shitty, barely literate grasp of grammar and spelling.

I embedded assistance in my response, if you're smart enough to figure it out. Which is doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2019 3:26 AM

R32, call me

by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2019 4:00 AM

I agree with the sentiment that part of being gay, is a "lifestyle". There are many men having sex with men, that would never say they are gay. Being gay is a highly charged political label, that, once accepted, through coming out, becomes a "lifestyle".

Said lifestyle requires courage and strength. Many in the closet, especially in the not-too-distant past, could never muster. That is why being gay is one facet of a person that should be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 36March 12, 2019 4:12 AM

Gay is to homosexual what gender is to biological sex.

Not all men who sleep with men are gay. And some gay men sleep exclusively with women.

Just like not all women have vaginas, some women have penises.

by Anonymousreply 37March 12, 2019 5:19 AM

Her nostrils are even more cavernous than mine!

Is that a lifestyle she has chosen?

by Anonymousreply 38March 12, 2019 5:31 AM

Her sister molested Whitney. It's all a damn mess.

by Anonymousreply 39March 12, 2019 7:36 PM

What Dionne is saying is just a obfuscation of the old “Love the sinner. Hate the sin.” line that Christians have been spouting for years. She’s admitting that that yes, you are be born gay. That however doesn’t mean for her you aren’t still sinning. Christians believe that just being a descendant of Adam is enough to damn you to Hell so being born gay isn’t contradictory to their belief. The fact that you are a practicing homosexual and don’t fight it and resist your natural, sinful nature is a a choice and one for which you will be condemned.

Dionne isn’t dumb and she knew and said exactly what she meant.

by Anonymousreply 40March 12, 2019 7:50 PM

R40. I just want to understand your logical. So you are stating that Christians think people are born gay but choose to act on it. Your statement is inaccurate. Most chrisrians believe children are born with no sexuality but they become indoctrinated due to their environment. Miss Dionne opinion is hers and she does not speak for millions of Christians.

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2019 7:57 PM

R41, read it again, I said that Christians believe that children are born into original sin, or the sin of Adam. I did add that being born gay, or in their eyes a sinner, isn’t contradictory to their belief, which it is not. Christians believe simply being born human means you are corrupt and the nature of human existence is to be sinful. This is why the immaculate conception of Mary is so important. She had to be born without sin so that she could then be the mother of Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 42March 12, 2019 8:08 PM

Fuck that bitch! Did she choose to be born a female? Do straight people choose to be born heterosexual? NO, they don't. The only thing she chose was to end up a con artist old cunt.

That said, I've always assumed she was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 43March 12, 2019 8:14 PM

Listen gays, I was high when this queen called me. I love you as you love me. Nothin more or less. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 44March 12, 2019 8:16 PM

I don’t care what she says. I’d still like to eat her black cunt.

by Anonymousreply 45March 12, 2019 8:19 PM

Tomato tomahto. I think she’s tremendous. She’s a big bag of crazy like EVERYONE in show business and she brought attention to AIDS when it was in dire need to do so. And I fucking LOVE her music. I give her a pass on this 100%.

by Anonymousreply 46March 12, 2019 8:25 PM

Oh, STFU you little SJWs.

by Anonymousreply 47March 12, 2019 8:29 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with anything that she said. If you guys are gonna choose to take it up the poop chute then you’re just going to have to learn to live with comments you don’t like. Dionne is not standing next to your bed saying, “Take that big dick up your honey canal.” Not is Dionne looking over your shoulder while you are on Grinders saying, “Let that one come up your butt.”

by Anonymousreply 48March 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Is she not a big lezzie? She sure looks like one, esp if she had a flannel shirt.

by Anonymousreply 49March 12, 2019 11:30 PM

Technically, historically, etymologically, "Gay" is a political identity and political identities are choices.

Miss Warwick is correct. PLUS she also said people can ABSOLUTELY be born gay.

by Anonymousreply 50March 12, 2019 11:43 PM

Other than breeders being repugnant I can't imagine why someone would choose to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 51March 12, 2019 11:49 PM

As long as she doesnt try to make me over, she’s okay by me.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2019 12:32 AM

I completely disavow the misunderstanding of the simple statement that a lifestyle is a lifestyle.

It's not like I said that BEING GAY was a choice. But, baby, all the rest is a choice. Boas, big pecs, coloratura husbears, brunch, poppers, caftans, screeching and superb facial hair.

Isn't being fabulous a choice for you?

Unlike for me, where being a brilliant songstress and iconic divalicious entertainer of historical importance is as much what I am as your being gay (or whatever your choice of terminology is) is for you.

Of course I don't count the customized dee-signer sexualisms of unique personhoods the kids are inventing for themselves today. How could I?

Now quit bothering me and focus on how many young immigrant women are going to be disappearing in Vegas soon, with JanJack moving in. You don't think she lost those appetites she developed with that billionaire ex in the desert, do you. Maybe somebody will make a movie of it. At least Michael only sniffed 'em, instead of snuffing them.

And I am not re-sponsible for the loonies here who happen to be my fans. They can't help it. But they could buy my latest albums. Some fans they are.

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2019 2:20 AM

[quote]In 1967, she also released “(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls” from the cult film of the same name after Judy Garland, originally set to sing the track, was fired.

Um...no.

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2019 2:25 AM

What an old bag

by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2019 4:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!