Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Mama’s Family” Named Worst Sitcom of All-Time

Poor Vicki.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2019 6:17 PM

"The Golden Girls" OWNS this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2019 7:50 AM

To be fair the network run of Mama’s family was lame. It wasn’t till it went into syndication that it improved by adding the fussy neighbor and of course the grandson with a gorgeous bubble butt.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2019 7:53 AM

Interesting.

“The Hard Times of RJ Berger”: The nerdy title character becomes popular after his entire school accidentally sees his surprisingly large genitalia. "RJ Berger" was kind of like "Superbad," just without the laughs.

Pilot is pretty funny. Plus the actor that plays RJ is openly gay. Cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2019 7:56 AM

I would have expected Ted Bessel to dominate this list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2019 7:56 AM

Loved to watch a couple of these so called bad shows.

-The Hard Times of RJ Berger

- 2 Broke Girls

- Angel From Hell

- The Millers

- Dads

- Yes, Dear

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2019 8:02 AM

The Hathaways has finally been vindicated!

by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2019 8:08 AM

I'm going down to the RayMart to buy some tomatoes to throw at whoever made this list.

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2019 8:09 AM

In the comments section, Mama's Family gets a lot of love.

2 Broke Girls does not.... and why should it. I can't even stand the stupid commercials.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2019 8:16 AM

Define "worst", because even though Mama's Family was cheap looking and 2 broke girls could be super annoying they're loads better than hundreds of sitcoms that have come and gone.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2019 8:36 AM

2 Broke girls was just Paris Hilton meets Leah Rehmi.

If they hired different actresses it would've been better.

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2019 8:57 AM

That list did not name Mama as the worst, just one of the 31 worst...

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2019 9:05 AM

I actually liked a few of the worst.

I thought Friends was a bit of shit.

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2019 9:07 AM

Thats why Mamas Family plays constantly on WE.

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2019 9:12 AM

The only show on that list that I watched regularly is Yes, Dear but yeah, that show is really shitty

What happened to all those sitcom “stars” like the RJ Berger guy? Did he quit the biz? Is he still auditioning?

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2019 9:15 AM

I watched Mama's Family just for Bubba's glorious basket and beautiful body...I still lust after him.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2019 9:36 AM

I just watched an episode of 2 Broke Girls and kept wondering how it lasted so long. Awful acting, especially by Kat. Yes, Dear was only slightly better. I did like The Millers.

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2019 9:41 AM

[quote] 2 Broke Girls and kept wondering how it lasted so long

I wondered the same. I could tolerate Kat's trashiness but very soon it became the Sophie show. Sophie was Kramer magnified x10 and I just couldn't take it. And still it went on for years.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2019 9:46 AM

I thought "My Mother The Car" was supposed to be the worst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2019 10:12 AM

Anything from Chuck Lorre.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2019 11:27 AM

I fucking loved Mama's Family.

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2019 11:34 AM

The Ugily Family s pretty awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2019 11:36 AM

Typically lame clickbait written by people who have no idea what they're talking about. For example, "Yes, Dear," was indeed a crappy sitcom, of which they say "Yes, Dear": No, thank you, said viewers.

It ran for six seasons.

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2019 2:33 PM

they clearly have never seen Mama's family and its genius

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2019 3:29 PM

None of these shows are worse than [italic]Friends[/italic] and its pernicious influence on popular culture, especially not this one.

by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2019 3:46 PM

Who’s the Boss

Growing Pains

Full House and its equally abominable sequel

Saved by the Bell

All those shows were worse and are so bad they should be taken out of reruns forever. Why aren’t they on this list?

by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]Why aren’t they on this list?

Because it's a shitty, random list.

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2019 3:58 PM

The pervasive love of Mama’s Family and Married with Children is one DL’s more troubling features. It’s like the piece of spinach stuck it your date’s teeth. You smile, keep talking, and try not to look at it.

by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote]2 Broke Girls does not.... and why should it. I can't even stand the stupid commercials.

I'm convinced only guys watch it. On mute. Just to ogle the one with the big tits.

by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2019 4:14 PM

Married With Children sucked Peg Bundy hair balls. As Suzanne Sugarbaker said, it looks like something that the cat threw up.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2019 4:21 PM

I never liked Mama’s Family. Saw a few episodes of Two Broke Girls. Horrendous. That brunette can’t act and is not naturally funny. She seemed smug, forced and self-conscious at the time.

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2019 4:31 PM

A stupid list made by people who did a little research and still couldn't find the worst. And the sitcom with the worst reputation in '70s/80s was McLean Stevenson's Hello, Larry. That would have kicked the asses of all those wimps on the Worst list.

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2019 4:40 PM

Mama's Family is hardly the worst sit-com of all time. Sounds like some wannabe hipster urban bloggers are butt-hurt that flyovers found a flyover comedy about flyover people funny enough to keep it alive in syndication for years.

by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2019 4:42 PM

Married with Children was a trailblazer. There was nothing like it and was an F-U to the Reagan era. It changed the face of television forever. It was satire. Can’t say the same about Mama’s Famly. There wasn’t artistic value in it.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2019 4:43 PM

The Hathaways -a sit-com starring Peggy Cass, Jack Weston and a bunch of chimps was unwatchably awful.

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2019 4:44 PM

[quote]Can’t say the same about Mama’s Famly. There wasn’t artistic value in it.

Comedy is supposed to be funny. It isn't supposed to be artsy-fartsy. WHen Charlie Chaplin got all "artistic" he became only half as funny as he was when he just made people laugh.

by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2019 4:45 PM

The thing with Mama's Family, the writing was pretty damn bad but had a good cast that could elevate it somewhat. It was a big waste of talent, but could've been great with better writers.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2019 4:50 PM

Any list that excludes "Small Wonder" is deeply flawed.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2019 4:54 PM

I know you're not supposed to admit this on DL where everyone is a descendant of a Kennedy, but I grew up in a rural area in the south with working class people. They used to call me "Fancy Boy". One of my favorite things to do was watch the stories and Mama's Family with my Grandparents. My Grandparents said "Hawaii" the way Thelma did. My Grandma was a member of the Church Ladies Auxiliary. My Dad was in the Lodge. My Mom and my Grandma had a complicated relationship. Was it the best that TV had to offer? No. But it was relatable to a lot of people. And I'm certain that what Mother Nature started, Bubba finished by turning me completely gay.

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2019 4:55 PM

mamas family is like comfort food to me.

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2019 4:57 PM

Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 40March 10, 2019 4:59 PM

'Two Broke Girls' was a bad improv skit taken WAYYYYY too far.

by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2019 5:00 PM

Mama's Family is far from being the worst sitcom of all time. Was it the greatest? No, but it is a fun show. And, really that is all it needs to be. Shows don't have to "say something" or "be about something" to be funny, many times the funniest shows are those that do not try to be something more. While All In The Family and Maude were funny, too many shows that try to "say something" forget about being funny and just preach at us. Also, cringe comedy that is predominate today, isn't that funny and makes me feel bad for finding people's misfortunes funny.

by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2019 5:06 PM

Married with Children was one of the greatest shows ever. Still funnier than 90% of what's on TV today.

by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2019 5:12 PM

[quote] I know you're not supposed to admit this on DL where everyone is a descendant of a Kennedy,

Yes, R38, Kennedy Davenport.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2019 5:15 PM

That awful thing that runs pretty much 24 hours a day now gets my vote as the worse, FOX News.

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2019 5:32 PM

MASH was completely unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2019 5:33 PM

R45 wins

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2019 5:34 PM

The weird thing is Mama's Family still has a big syndication life so popularity in something meant for mass consumption like sitcoms disproves a "Worst" title.

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2019 5:45 PM

Webster.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2019 5:48 PM

But Webster was so cute! that was enough.

Family Matters was quite shitty. Urkel might be one of the most annoying fucks ever.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2019 5:50 PM

I thought Small Wonder or Alf would own this thread!

by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2019 5:50 PM

Did Will Arnett dress in short shorts throughout the entire run of “The Millers”? I would’ve watched!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2019 6:05 PM

R51, I never watched Alf, but Small Wonder was one of the most bizarre ever.

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2019 6:15 PM

Mama's Family was not the worst of anything. It was kind of funny and harmless. There has been real crap on TV throughout the ages. Mama's Family is not among the group.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2019 6:26 PM

To me, this seems like a fool's errand - i find most sitcoms pretty much horrid and unwatchable. Haven't seen most of these mentioned on the list, but I just see it as 22 minutes better spent doing something else...

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2019 6:28 PM

Anything on the Disney channel. So dumb they have to be aimed at special pre-schoolers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2019 6:47 PM

What was that show from the 80s with the gym teacher with like 12 daughters and the oldest ones were sluts? That was pretty bad

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2019 6:50 PM

According to Jim is by far the worst. I swear it went on for so long because the network execs forgot they ever put it on.

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2019 7:12 PM

“How I Met Your Mother” was laugh-free until the day they pulled the plug.

by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2019 7:20 PM

The crappiest shows do well for the same reason Jay Leno did well: Most Americans have shit taste.

Mind you, I have nothing personal against Leno (and he was an amazing stand-up in the 70s/80s). In fact, he's a far better person on a personal level in terms of humility and giving than a lot of the jerk-offs in his field who are funnier, but his show was such milquetoast humor.

by Anonymousreply 60March 10, 2019 7:43 PM

I was going to post something about how hot Will Arnett looks in that picture. Both he and Sean Hayes (is that Sean Hayes?) are showing impressive basket.

by Anonymousreply 61March 10, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote] “How I Met Your Mother” was laugh-free until the day they pulled the plug.

As little as I think of Josh Radner's contribution to the show I can't agree with that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 10, 2019 8:19 PM

I am surprised that Hello Larry did not make this list.

by Anonymousreply 63March 10, 2019 8:25 PM

"Charles In Charge". Never saw an episode, but by the sheer presence of Scott Baio, it had to be crap.

Naw, that would be an insult to crap.

by Anonymousreply 64March 10, 2019 8:45 PM

Me! Me! MY shitcom was the worst, hands down!

by Anonymousreply 65March 12, 2019 2:41 AM

Broke Girls wasn't trashy but not in anyway the worst of anything.

by Anonymousreply 66March 12, 2019 2:45 AM

WAS trashy.

by Anonymousreply 67March 12, 2019 2:45 AM

How did “Alice” or “Flo” or “One Day at a Time” or “Good Times” get missed?

by Anonymousreply 68March 12, 2019 3:07 AM

2 Broke Girls was the worst...I could never get through even one episode.

by Anonymousreply 69March 12, 2019 3:09 AM

I never watched Mama's Family, but whatever criteria they used to determine it to be the "worst" sitcom of all-time is laughable.

The show lasted six seasons and over 100 episodes. Few shows rarely last that long.

by Anonymousreply 70March 12, 2019 3:28 AM

Have to agree with r37. "Small Wonder" is one of the worst ever. If you think Disney comedies are bad, Nickelodeon's are worse.

by Anonymousreply 71March 12, 2019 5:27 AM

That piece of shit BIG BANG THEORY is awful...I don't understand its popularity.

by Anonymousreply 72March 12, 2019 6:05 AM

They missed one: DELTA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73March 12, 2019 6:14 AM

R73 = Annie Potts

by Anonymousreply 74March 12, 2019 6:15 AM

Typically 2 Broke Girls scene:

Max (walks into diner, vomits her line): I got raped last night.

Audience roars laughing

Cook (almost indeciperable): I'd rape that!

Audience goes wild

Caroline: oh my God, are you okay?

Max: I'm fine. Good thing I shaved so they didn't get rug burn

Audience roars

Cook: you don't have to shave for me

Audience goes wild

Seriously, the writers of that show must have had a combined IQ of 2.

by Anonymousreply 75March 12, 2019 6:43 AM

The forgot to mention "Checking In," a pitiful spinoff from "The Jeffersons." Florence the maid was now an executive manager of a hotel, having to deal with the hijinks of her employees and guests. Expectedly, the show sucked and was mercifully canceled, with Marla Gibbs returning to her original maid role in "The Jeffersons."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 12, 2019 6:46 AM

Mama's family was the only show on that list that I watched. It wasn't bad.

by Anonymousreply 77March 12, 2019 7:21 AM

Mama's family really is one of the worst. Coming from someone who liked whos the boss, family matters, married with children, will and grace

Never liked friends, the cosbys, big bang theory

Did Full House, My two dads, Growing Pains make the list-- those are my worst.

by Anonymousreply 78March 12, 2019 7:32 AM

Mamas Family was truly the worst. Vicky Lawrence was awful as usual but worse here. But what made me watch it in the reruns? Peculiar.

by Anonymousreply 79March 12, 2019 9:56 AM

Mama's Family was one of the funniest and we would much rather watch it than such boredom as Seinfeld, Frends, or most of what is presented as comedy today.

by Anonymousreply 80March 12, 2019 10:27 AM

Named by WHO? some humorless asshole!

by Anonymousreply 81March 12, 2019 10:32 AM

I always thought Three’s Company was the worst show ever. The acting was bad and the writing was even worse. I thought stupid, stupid, stupid!

by Anonymousreply 82March 13, 2019 3:41 AM

I've never seen any of the shows listed, except for one episode of Joey (and one was enough).

[quote] "My Mother the Car": One has to wonder what kind of Freudian therapy session must have birthed this idea: A man buys a dilapidated touring car when he discovers that it's the reincarnation of his deceased mother, who talks to him through the radio.

This existed? This show actually existed?

by Anonymousreply 83March 13, 2019 3:59 AM

R82 Hi, Mom!

What's sad is that the original version, from the Carol Burnett Show, was seriously great television.

by Anonymousreply 84March 13, 2019 9:25 AM

[quote]Eunice (Carol Burnett) is excited because she's been cast in a play, and one of the cast members (Madeline Kahn) is coming over to rehearse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2019 9:28 AM

"Homeboys in Outer Space" was initially one of those Adult Swim type of non-comedy comedies, but within just a couple of episodes tried to become a real sitcom and failed miserably. I saw the last few minutes of it a few times when I was in college (forget what was on after it that I was really tuning in for, "WKRP" reruns I think) and it was strange.

"The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" was just a "Benson" rip-off, plus more ironic racism.

"Mama's Family" really was and is a terrible show but earns a lot of good will from Americans who like anything that is uniquely American.

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2019 9:40 AM

R79 Vicki Lawrence has never been awful in her entire career.

by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2019 10:12 AM

I always watched My Two Dads and kept waiting for the episode that revealed which one was the top and which one was the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2019 10:16 AM

Was Enos a sitcom or a drama?

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2019 10:27 AM

I guess I have the worst taste- I love both 2 broke girls and mamas family. Lol. But I’m hardly alone as both run at least 5/6 seasons and are still currently in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 90March 13, 2019 11:01 AM

[quote]Anything on the Disney channel. So dumb they have to be aimed at special pre-schoolers.

How DARE you? “That’s so Raven” is sooo good.

Actually R90, you're not alone with your 2 Broke Girls love. Mind you, I hated it when it was in production, but since it's gone into syndication, and I stop pretending that I'm the Entertainment Editor for Buzzfeed--and I didn't cable in my bedroom--I find it pretty funny.

Dennings is a terrible actress but her one-liners hit the mark and of course, Jennifer 'Motherfucking' Coolidge.

by Anonymousreply 91March 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Love 2 Broke Girls but why do the audience always scream every time Sophie appear?

by Anonymousreply 92March 13, 2019 11:26 AM

I watched Mama's family a few times and all it was was a bunch of people screeching at each other. It was unwatchable and I never watched it after that. I agree with it being named worst.

by Anonymousreply 93March 13, 2019 11:28 AM

R88 It was SO obvious that Paul Reisner was the bottom in My Two Dads.

He repeated the position but hit pay dirt in Mad About You.

by Anonymousreply 94March 13, 2019 11:44 AM

Mama's Family was sketch comedy and not a sitcom. Nothing was ever real in any sense. You set it up, deliver a punch line and move on.

It helped to have Bubba's window dressing.

Iola is the best sketch character. She was more psychotic at first which worked better for the show.

No one could be as dumb as Vint and live.

by Anonymousreply 95March 13, 2019 11:52 AM

Maybe it's time for the MF sequel: Tiffany Thelma, Vint and Naomi's trashy daughter. Opening credits find her drunk and pregnant (again) urinating on Mama's grave.

by Anonymousreply 96March 13, 2019 12:01 PM

Too lazy to look but if The Ropers isn't in contention there is something off.

by Anonymousreply 97March 13, 2019 11:27 PM

My mother loved that stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 98March 14, 2019 12:16 AM

Night Court is the all-time worst.

And no "What's Happening!"? The worst-acted sitcom ever!

by Anonymousreply 99March 14, 2019 2:15 AM

Let's not forget DL icon Donna Pescow in "Out of This World."

by Anonymousreply 100March 14, 2019 2:26 AM

Modern Family puzzles me...every week it was just family members being mad at each other...it was pretty redundant but the cast was attractive and believable.

by Anonymousreply 101March 14, 2019 2:36 AM

I can not stand Married With Children but it was extremely popular.

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2019 2:38 AM

The sexual innuendo in 2 Broke Girls belongs in the sewer.

by Anonymousreply 103March 14, 2019 2:40 AM

Buzzr recntly ran a bunch of Password Plus episodes where Carol and Vicki appeared in character as Eunice and Thelma, playing the game fir charity. Well-played and very entertaining...!

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2019 3:24 AM

R87 Until she wrote the tell all book trashing Joe Hamilton, who basically handed her a career. She'd still be screeching tunes fronm "Young Americans" to an empty band shell if it weren't for Carol and Joe.

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2019 7:58 PM

[quote] The weird thing is Mama's Family still has a big syndication life

Link? I haven't seen it in decades, personally.

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2019 8:07 PM

And we were denied years more of Dorothy Lyman on All My Children because of that fucking awful Mama’s Family sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote] Until she wrote the tell all book trashing Joe Hamilton

She trashed Carol's ex-husband? I wonder if they're even still speaking, especially considering Carol's a staunch liberal and Vicki's a Republican. I can't imagine Carol would like her much, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2019 8:11 PM

That list didn't really have numbers, though, if I remember.....it just has Mama at the end of a long list.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2019 8:35 PM

My mother also loved it. Now I want to watch it again. Anyway of getting it for free?

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2019 8:38 PM

Mama's Family has been playing in reruns on MeTV for quite a while now, and it comes on at 6:00 pm eastern time. I still tune in pretty regularly because it's like TV comfort food. It is not award winning television, but it endures as light entertainment. Beverly Archer as Iola Lucille Boylen is one of the best characters ever to be developed for a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2019 8:56 PM

I liked Mama’s Family when it had these characters: Mama, Vint, Naomi, Bubba, and Iola. Nobody claimed it was Shakespeare. I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2019 10:02 PM

Vicki had a number one hit in Australia with He did with me.

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2019 10:08 PM

Thanks, R111 I just turned it on. Beats MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2019 10:09 PM

It was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2019 11:42 PM

2 Broke Girls and Kevin Can Wait were absoluty horrible. As was last fall’s Murphy Brown reboot.

And this thread is useless without pics of Bubba’s bubble butt.

by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2019 11:56 PM

I nominate THE UGLIEST GIRL IN TOWN: An American talent agent accidentally becomes a sought-after model in Swinging London. It was a rare American show that took place across the pond and was filmed there. It pretty much ruined the main actor's life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2019 6:13 PM

Meant to say he becomes a 'female model' and the show/role ruined his career, not life.

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2019 6:14 PM

R73 I remember the TV spots: "I'm ba-ack! And I'm blo-onde!"

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2019 6:15 PM

R57 are you referring to the Growing Pains spin-off Just the Ten of Us?

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2019 6:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!