Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are Granite countertops passe yet?

They've been popular since the 80's... you would think they would be out of style by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 16, 2019 1:53 PM

They've been out for a decade in some places.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2019 10:57 PM

I can't see a counter beyond the enormous man titties!

by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2019 10:57 PM

What does the dumb picture have to do with granite counters?

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2019 11:00 PM

Granite was not popular in the 80s. Mid-late 90s is the earliest.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2019 11:05 PM

He's using a granite countertop, R3.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2019 11:07 PM

Leathered plain black granite or Jerusalem Gold marble are the best picks. Shiny granite and marble is passe

by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2019 11:08 PM

It's all about concrete or matte finished stone and quartz is the new granite.

by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2019 11:11 PM

They led the stone countertop revolution. Methinks they’re here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 8March 9, 2019 11:15 PM

I moved into a house about a year ago and the granite countertops are all pitted. Unfortunately, it wasn't noticeable when moving in. It's become obvious though that the sellers hid a lot defects in the house for a quick sell. As I wash the tile floors, smalls chips become visible.

Can anything be done about the pitted granite and the fact that the sellers tried to hide all the problems with the house?

by Anonymousreply 9March 9, 2019 11:29 PM

R9..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 9, 2019 11:33 PM

They were passe before they even began. Same with stainless appliances. Both look totally outdated. Both are a fucking nightmare to keep clean.

by Anonymousreply 11March 9, 2019 11:34 PM

Corian is still current but granite is out.

by Anonymousreply 12March 9, 2019 11:34 PM

Pure white quartz countertops. White cabinetry (no natural wood! It's a kitchen, not a library), with very simple brushed nickel or stainless steel pulls. Light gray tile floor in a subtle pattern - I like the one that resembles driftwood, but any very quiet pattern will do; no fucking wood floors in the kitchen - see above. Black/white/gray subway tile backsplash. Appliances of the color you choose, but if it's stainless, they had better be real stainless, not gray plastic.

by Anonymousreply 13March 9, 2019 11:42 PM

Corian is fine. I like boring tile or even old school Formica. Kill me, I don't care. I like the timeless look. White appliances are so much better looking / more appropriate no matter the decor. How they fell out of favor is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 14March 9, 2019 11:43 PM

Dorian is horrible. Everything scratches it. I love my quartz, though. It's always a moderate temperature (as opposed to the icy cold granite holds, doesn't need sealing or special care, and its pattern is constant, no matter how large or how many pieces you have.

by Anonymousreply 15March 9, 2019 11:44 PM

I'm waiting for stainless appliances to go the way of avocado green and harvest gold.

by Anonymousreply 16March 9, 2019 11:45 PM

Do our kitchens still have to be open to every other room in the house?

by Anonymousreply 17March 9, 2019 11:48 PM

Alternatively, pastel Formica countertops with a ridged stainless steel band along the edge. Cheerful yellow walls with patterned yellow curtains at the window. Linoleum floor in a confetti pattern. White metal cabinetry. Turquoise or pink appliances (no avocado or harvest gold ... too '70s). Cotton summer shirtwaist dress with full skirt, stockings and flats; pearls optional. That's really the kitchen I want. Of course I also want my mother in it ...

by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2019 11:50 PM

r15 Oh, honey....you'll find out sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2019 11:50 PM

Your keyboard to God's screen, r17!

by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2019 11:50 PM

What's the difference between Granite, Quartz and Marble?

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2019 11:52 PM

White appliances, now and always!

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2019 11:54 PM

They are all tacky r21 No difference, just tacky.

by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2019 11:54 PM

The one that's trendy at the time, R21.

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2019 11:57 PM

R9 I worry about pitted granite countertops.

Terrazzo countertops were popular in the 30s and 40s but I've seen some so pitted you could lose ticket down the cracks.

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2019 11:59 PM

[R21], marble is a metamorphic rock, quartz is actually a mineral, and granite is an igneous rock (and contains quartz).

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2019 12:19 AM

Fused silica countertops are gaining in popularity. It’s their transmission characteristics in the deep UV that set them apart.

by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2019 12:32 AM

But do ANY of these natural surfaces trap dirt and stains?

by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2019 12:41 AM

"Dorian is horrible."

Well fuck you, then.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2019 12:48 AM

What's most sustainable? Reclaimed... Something.

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2019 12:57 AM

Granite was sold on the notion that you could slice and dice on it without scratching, then scrape all the garbage into the sink. Ditto the ability to withstand hot temperatures so you could take a pot directly from the stove or oven and slap it on the countertop, no trivet required.

The part about granite needing to be treated and maybe not being 100% scratchproof got downplayed.

Concrete seems to be big in cities, quartz in the suburbs.

"Cabinet depth" appliances that got covered to blend in with the rest of the kitchen were a think for a while but now it seems like brightly colored appliance, usually Italian, are a thing?

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2019 1:09 AM

This is what I am talking about re: brightly colored appliances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2019 1:13 AM

The main problem with granite is the color range - it doesn’t really go with the new style.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2019 1:16 AM

Who’s the hottie in the pic?

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2019 1:20 AM

R34 you finally asked what the OP was really looking for!! That’s the OP wanting everyone to comment on him not the counters.

by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2019 1:55 AM

Marble is lovely and classic but stains. Corian is everywhere now, from show homes to cheap renos. Real quartz has its drawbacks in terms of chipping but apparently is striking when backlit. Lighter colors are big. Granite is a strong statement but then so is marble so choose what you want to say. Man-made quartz makes a bland statement. I like color personally.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2019 1:56 AM

I cannot imagine being over 30 years old and giving a damn about what is trendy. My two best friends are in their early 60s and they are constantly changing their house to keep up with the latest trends. They choose the latest fad over what they actually like.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2019 4:21 AM

What about ceaserstone

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2019 5:01 AM

My realtor says granite is out.

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2019 5:14 AM

Granite will never be out. What comes and goes are the honed edges like bullnose or flat or curved. Bullnose is out, you see more flat edges right now.

by Anonymousreply 40March 10, 2019 5:22 AM

Natural stone will never be "out". As long as the color or pattern isn't too busy or garish, some types of granite will always be timeless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2019 5:26 AM

However, THIS kind of granite? I would say out for a long ,LONG time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2019 5:30 AM

My kitchen counter tops are in Corian Sandstone and look as good as the day they were installed. I have a full back splash and could not be happier.

by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2019 5:35 AM

Man titties will never be 'out'.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2019 5:56 AM

Kitchen of the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2019 2:28 PM

Meh. Could care less. I don’t even cook.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2019 2:37 PM

White kitchens seem to age the best. At the moment I’m stuck with wooden crap from the 80s. It could be worse - green marble makes me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2019 2:54 PM

"My realtor says granite is out."

Somebody forgot to tell all the frauen on House Hunters on HGTV. To hear these ALL these bitches tell it, you can't properly prepare a meal without an open concept floorplan, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2019 2:57 PM

Corian is very early-90s apartment. The only people who prefer it spent too much money to have it installed.

by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2019 3:05 PM

I wish open plan kitchens would die out. It’s a place for cooking, I don’t want to see it when I walk through the front door.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]My kitchen counter tops are in Corian Sandstone and look as good as the day they were installed.

R43. Do the counters pictured look like the same Corian installed in your home? I'm seriously considering making an offer on the home below and am curious if the counters are the same sandstone color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2019 3:16 PM

^^^ who gives a shit about the countertops in that hideous kitchen with black appliances... 🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2019 3:20 PM

I have no intention of keeping the black appliances nor the cherry cabinets. It's the SIZE of the kitchen space I like about this house. Don't get bitchy with me missy because YOU can't afford to remodel!

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2019 3:29 PM

R42, my poor sister was surprised with that very granite in her kitchen as a Christmas gift from her husband. She's had to grit and bear it for years. She wants to do a total kitchen remodel as a justification to get rid of that hideous granite hubby had installed while she was out of town.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2019 3:29 PM

R53, to be honest, I like the kitchen the way it is. It looks nice. Good luck with your offer.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2019 3:30 PM

Kitchens should not be visible to the rest of the house. Bring back walls!!!

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2019 3:33 PM

Dear bitches @R52, R53: I know this will be like heresy to you two uber queens, but there ain't a damn thing in the kitchen at R51 that needs to be replaced. And considering 95% of the rest of the world prepares meals with considerably less ostentation, isn't trashing all this next to new shit pretty irresponsible?

Won't somebody please think about mother earth?

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2019 3:35 PM

I thought dark stainless steel appliances was the new normal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2019 3:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2019 3:59 PM

When I redid my kitchen a few years ago, I chose engineered quartz based on Consumer Reports' recommendations. So far so good, although I have one tiny nick. And there's one place where they didn't do a great job matching up the pattern. But it's easy to maintain and clean.

by Anonymousreply 60March 10, 2019 4:02 PM

Either that is a very short refrigerator in r58's photo or that microwave is installed very high. How is little Braedon going to make his Hot Pockets after school?

by Anonymousreply 61March 10, 2019 4:19 PM

I purchased a house mid last year with the intent that I would probably upgrade the kitchen sometime this year. Currently it's a late 90's French country style with white tile countertops and a large butcher block island. I'm surprised how comfortable I've become with the tile. Easy to clean and heat resistant. I don't think I'll be changing it out any time soon after all.

by Anonymousreply 62March 10, 2019 4:39 PM

Ugh, the hideous mineralized look was never good.

Also.

No more open plan, no more kitchen islands. The future calls for kitchens to have at least three doors to/from, and a galley style. You may have a table in the middle to work but not an island, the hideous behemoth pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 63March 10, 2019 4:44 PM

A friend bought a house with 1940s appliances and cabinets still in situ. She had the whole kitchen professionally cleaned, had the cabinets sanded and repainted, new linoleum floor, re-enamelled the sink and had the gas hob and fridge serviced. It looks amazing, really cosy and very unusual in a sea of granite-steel-open concept.

by Anonymousreply 64March 10, 2019 4:48 PM

What’s a “gas hob” R64?

by Anonymousreply 65March 10, 2019 4:51 PM

Gallery style makes more sense if you’re talking food prep. Hah my mother, who is definitely old fashioned, always despised open concept, and she has a good point. She claimed food smells were more easily absorbed in carpet and furniture.

by Anonymousreply 66March 10, 2019 4:51 PM

I lived with the original kitchen for a while when I bought my MCM house a few years ago. I wanted time to figure out what I wanted to do with the space. The white Formica was in surprisingly good condition I ended up refinishing the oak cabinets, put down a new lineolium floor right over the old one, tile backslash and white quartz counters. I didn't change the footprint of the kitchen itself even though by today's standards it is tiny.

by Anonymousreply 67March 10, 2019 4:55 PM

An old fashioned gas stove r65.

by Anonymousreply 68March 10, 2019 4:56 PM

What really hurt the granite counter industry was unscrupulous companies selling cheap gray and red granite they obtained that was flecked with uranium. A lot of people got sick back in the 90s. That allowed synthetics developers to get their collective toes in the door of the counter top biz. The fear factor that even perfectly good and costly granite may be tainted. Otherwise, I know many folks who are still in love with granite and natural stone.

by Anonymousreply 69March 10, 2019 4:56 PM

Whatever Home Depot is selling is indicative of current trends embraced by the masses.

by Anonymousreply 70March 10, 2019 4:58 PM

Open kitchens create a cacophony of noise. If you have a TV on, you have to pump up the volume to hear it as soon as you turn on a faucet or the dishwasher or want to put anything away. Then someone wants to have a conversation and ends up raising their voice to be heard over the TV. It builds and builds as sound bounces around the room on all of these hard surfaces. Not a fan.

There are very few homeowners in America who actually host more than a couple of people in these spaces at one time. It's a ridiculous notion that you need all of this open space for "entertaining" purposes when, even if you host get-togethers, it's no more that a couple of times per year.

by Anonymousreply 71March 10, 2019 5:05 PM

I think having kitchens as the focal point of a house is part of the American obesity problem.

by Anonymousreply 72March 10, 2019 5:12 PM

R51 is a beautiful kitchen. I love cherry cabinets. White is not my favorite color for anything in a kitchen. Kitchens get messy and with white cabinets I would feel that I had to wipe them down daily. I also prefer black appliances, because white ones get discolored easily, and stainless steel is a misnomer, they show every little smudge.

by Anonymousreply 73March 10, 2019 5:16 PM

Super-white quartzite. It’s amazing.

by Anonymousreply 74March 10, 2019 5:43 PM

I actually don't care for kitchens because I don't cook and I think they should be out of sight. Let the cook and maids do their thing in there.

by Anonymousreply 75March 10, 2019 5:53 PM

That original pic looks like an outdoor patio not a kitchen inside. Who has a big exposed grill in their kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 76March 10, 2019 5:55 PM

It is not just the US, every UK property show I've watched goes on about the kitchen being the heart of the home where everyone spends most of their time. Which I just don't understand. I love to cook, but the that is the only time I spend in the kitchen, I don't hangout in the kitchen. And, because I like to keep my kitchen clean, I wouldn't want everyone hanging out in there all day.

by Anonymousreply 77March 10, 2019 5:58 PM

Thank you, R68.

by Anonymousreply 78March 10, 2019 5:58 PM

All stone kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 10, 2019 5:59 PM

Beautiful R41 my countertop is gorgeous granite and I wouldn't have it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 80March 10, 2019 6:00 PM

I'm still very attached to my 1960s shell-pink formica counter-tops and cabinets.

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2019 6:13 PM

I think the candy colored appliances (S M E G, lol) are gorgeous but I would think you'd get tired of them very quickly. That said, I saw a pre-reno kitchen from the 50s? 60s? somewhere with a butter yellow-colored wall oven and it looked amazing.

by Anonymousreply 82March 10, 2019 6:48 PM

Mass market American kitchen styles are ugly. Why is there so much use of exposed appliances? I can understand it if the appliances are beautiful in their own right, but they'e often pretty awful looking today. Dishwashers and refrigerators look best covered up and with gas burners built into the counter.

Granite is never going to go out of style but I agree that the bold patterned shiny granite looks really dated.

by Anonymousreply 83March 10, 2019 7:10 PM

Love Doris Day's kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 10, 2019 7:10 PM

It's better than the plastic in my doublewide...

by Anonymousreply 85March 10, 2019 7:55 PM

R77, I agree. I also like to cook, but I don't want company hanging around while I'm doing it. They're either distracting me or "helping", neither of which I need.

The best kitchen design is galley-style, which minimizes steps and eliminates wasted open floor space. It should have a swinging door to the dining room or be designed in such a way as not to be directly visible from the dining room*. I don't want to look at the messy post-cooking kitchen while I'm eating, much less want what few guests I have to look at it. I don't want to have to clean to kitchen from top to bottom before eating, either.

*A friend of mine remodeled an old house in the perfect way, I think. He added a new kitchen - galley style! - on the back of the house and converted the old, very small kitchen, into a pantry. No doors were needed, as the dining room only looked into the relatively neat pantry. Plus having a real pantry for kitchen storage is GREAT!

I think this modern, huge, open-plan kitchen idea is because people think they're going to be living in a sitcom version of a family, where everyone hangs out in the kitchen. This is not the reality for most. Also, on HGTV I've heard mothers talking about how they can keep an eye on the kids while they're in the kitchen ... as though nearly every adult today didn't grow up without having Mom out of sight from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 86March 10, 2019 9:26 PM

"... the old, very small, kitchen into a pantry", that is.

by Anonymousreply 87March 10, 2019 9:29 PM

R86 My only problem with a galley style kitchen is the lack of counter space. I like a nice kitchen with a center island. I just don't want it open to the rest of the house.

by Anonymousreply 88March 10, 2019 9:32 PM

R53, What would your updated appliances and cabinetry look like, then?

by Anonymousreply 89March 10, 2019 9:44 PM

My first apartment alone had a galley kitchen with a shuttered pass-thru to the dining area. I miss those.

by Anonymousreply 90March 10, 2019 9:50 PM

Some green options at link. I think it'd be neat to have clear resin counters with pieces of clear recycled glass in them, underlit by led lights that could be set at different colors.

Or just that Paperstone brand, in pewter or another medium grey color. I saw a DIY countertop refinishing video where they used a featherlight concrete mix on old formica counters and after it had been sanded it looked really fantastic. I like grey countertops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 10, 2019 10:27 PM

so what's the trend now? what material?

by Anonymousreply 92March 10, 2019 10:35 PM

Toughened glass (frosted or clear) can look good. I've seen this is a few fashionable East London homes.

by Anonymousreply 93March 10, 2019 10:43 PM

Granite has been over for well over a decade in design circles. Other natural stones such as soapstone, marble and slate are very au courant. Quartz is also still on-trend, if done in a monochromatic modern treatment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 10, 2019 10:47 PM

Stainless steel.

Butcher block

by Anonymousreply 95March 10, 2019 10:48 PM

I don’t like quartz pretending to be something it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 96March 10, 2019 10:52 PM

I know. Quartz always tryna be frontin n shit

by Anonymousreply 97March 10, 2019 10:54 PM

Butcher Block - No issues with radon gas emissions (granite)

by Anonymousreply 98March 10, 2019 10:56 PM

Black rubber with a resin finish looks very chic.

by Anonymousreply 99March 10, 2019 11:00 PM

[quote]Butcher Block - No issues with radon gas emissions (granite)

Yeah, right. Go to the butcher I go to. Whew.

by Anonymousreply 100March 10, 2019 11:01 PM

Butcher block is very 70s or 80s to me. Is it making a comeback? I'd worry too much about salmonella and other food-borne contamination.

by Anonymousreply 101March 11, 2019 12:26 AM

It’s a fucker to keep clean r101. It was in a house I bought and I thought it’d be OK until I figured out what I wanted in the kitchen - big mistake. I ended up having numerous plastic cutting boards all over just so I could put them in the dishwasher so the bacterial hoedown going on in the wood grain wouldn’t touch anything.

I liked the cabinets so had the butcher block replaced with corian and it looked fine but more importantly was clean.

by Anonymousreply 102March 11, 2019 12:32 AM

Tile is making a huge comeback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 11, 2019 1:19 AM

I like the idea of island benches because my splash-backs are awkward to clean. They really do show all the splashes.

by Anonymousreply 104March 11, 2019 2:11 AM

I have tile now and I don't mind it, except that it's so beige. Rental.

It's not a bad kitchen, about 8 x 20 with a window over the sink, that faces my balcony and big evergreen trees in people's back gardens. Lots of birds. Quite a bit of counter space and small area for a table that I never use.

by Anonymousreply 105March 11, 2019 2:24 AM

R105, 8x20 is LARGE. Sounds better than just "not...bad."

by Anonymousreply 106March 11, 2019 2:29 AM

R103, I think a combo of a vintage/rich/organic/handmade tile backsplash, combined with a quartz countertop in a matching color sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 107March 11, 2019 2:35 AM

OP should get what HE likes regardless if it's passe or not.

I'm hoping a stray missile strikes my kitchen and destroys the white-tiled floor with white grout. No one could keep this white tile grout clean. That includes my neurotic mom, Martha Stewart's army of maids, and even hottie Mr. Clean himself.

by Anonymousreply 108March 11, 2019 2:38 AM

R107, bean counters try to market uniform kitchens with cost of materials determined by market value.

by Anonymousreply 109March 11, 2019 2:40 AM

R108 you can install linoleum over tile. It's environmentally friendly, resilient (no more pulverized dishes or glasses that get dropped), inexpensive and nice looking.

by Anonymousreply 110March 11, 2019 2:48 AM

My kitchen dilemma is the sheer amount of wood and the grooved details along every edge. Queensland mahogany countertops. I can't make it look good because it shows wear and tear and is unforgiving with water and heat. Why would anyone want a surface that hates water and heat? Can anyone recommend what I can do to improve the look, such as sanding and varnish?

I dream of removing the wood surface and turning it into a bench and installing something more modern.

by Anonymousreply 111March 11, 2019 2:56 AM

I resurfaced my granite countertops with asbestos.

by Anonymousreply 112March 11, 2019 2:56 AM

Turning it into a bench or coffee table sounds the best option r111. Mahogany is beautiful but not as a hard working surface.

by Anonymousreply 113March 11, 2019 3:08 AM

I'm going through this nightmare now . I'll be yanking out my whole kitchen and I don't know what to do. My guy says go with quartz. When I told him kitchen cabinets should be look like oak, formica is fine with me, and I like that B/W checkerboard type of floor, his face became ashen. What's wrong with what I like? Oh the countertops? Does it really matter? I don't want stains, scratches, it has to be friendly with water and hot pots and I don't to spend the fucking rest of my life hauling a 5 gallon bucket of sealer and a squeegy being a slave sealing fucking countertops when I'm not even sure what sealing means or why the fuck they can't seal it before they install it! Spray it with it plastic, I don't give a shit, just don't expect me to do it every 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 114March 11, 2019 3:17 AM

I wanted a natural material. I originally planned to use soapstone, but then did some research and saw many unhappy soapstone countertop owners—stains and maintenance problems. So I went with dark grey granite. No regrets. I don’t care whether or not it’s trendy. I like it. Quartz looks fake.

by Anonymousreply 115March 11, 2019 4:43 AM

I replaced my granite with quartz and love it.

by Anonymousreply 116March 11, 2019 4:46 AM

[R53], What would your updated appliances and cabinetry look like, then?

Well, I like the profile of the cabinets and they're high quality hardwood so there's no need to replace. I would just take them down and have them repainted and top coated at a local body shop for a factory look. I will probably replace the Corian with a light colored granite, maybe add a contrasting marble subway tile backsplash and change out the appliances to ss as the ones in the home are 15 years old. The layout of the space and the flooring I like so there would be no structural changes. I basically want to create a timeless, quasi vintage feel similar to the picture below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 11, 2019 5:24 AM

I don’t like tile on a countertop. The grout is next to impossible to keep clean and, for some odd reason, I think countertops should be smooth, without the “bumps” of the area between the grout and tile.

by Anonymousreply 118March 11, 2019 11:31 AM

We just redid our kitchen- white quartz countertops and a huge marble island. This week they are coming and putting a new product on it-- you can't see it but it essentially resembles the film you put on the screen of an iPhone. The warranty is for at least 3 years, and because it's literally a barrier, you can dump anything on it and wipe it off... can't wait as I hate having to think so much about stains.

by Anonymousreply 119March 11, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]I don’t like tile on a countertop.

Totally concur. I don't think that's a design element that will ever again have wide spread appeal or adoption. Thank God. The only reason they was so prevalent in the 70/80s was because it was just the standard ,builder grade, inexpensive counter option found in hundreds of thousands of tract homes built at that time.

Besides, porous grout lines on a food prep surface seem very unhygienic to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 11, 2019 12:31 PM

[quote]The only reason they was so prevalent

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 121March 11, 2019 12:45 PM

Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind Smiles we gave to one another for the way we was

by Anonymousreply 122March 11, 2019 12:50 PM

I knew a black man named Granite

by Anonymousreply 123March 11, 2019 12:54 PM

[quote]The only reason they was so prevalent.Oh, dear!

I deserve that. I really must remember to proofread before posting in the future.

by Anonymousreply 124March 11, 2019 1:07 PM

Nothin but love, R124!

by Anonymousreply 125March 11, 2019 1:14 PM

Count me in the column that doesn’t like tile counters. On the wall is fine, those green tiles posted upthread were beautiful but on a working surface they are a poor choice. Can’t keep grout hygienic, glaze cracks over time, fragile to heavy bumps, lumpy uneven surface... just not for me.

by Anonymousreply 126March 11, 2019 1:27 PM

I like corian but I hate the way you can't put anything hot on it.

by Anonymousreply 127March 11, 2019 3:33 PM

And also that you can't use it as an impromptu cutting board. (Corian)

by Anonymousreply 128March 11, 2019 3:35 PM

I'm so used to Formica-like surfaces that it's second nature to have some kind of trivet handy when I'm dealing with hot pots and pans. I don't think I've ever even thought of putting a hot pan on my tile counter.

by Anonymousreply 129March 11, 2019 3:43 PM

[quote] This week they are coming and putting a new product on it-- you can't see it but it essentially resembles the film you put on the screen of an iPhone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 11, 2019 11:56 PM

I have a six burner gas cook top and use the empty burners for cooling racks and have a series of small cutting boards for prep. After 30 years the Corian looks new. Every few years I take an orbital sander to refresh it.

by Anonymousreply 131March 13, 2019 7:27 AM

Let me tell you what happen. They kept on finding ugly brown granite, so they came up with a marketing scheme and sold to stupid Americans. If you put this in your home, your home is worth less. Also, you be stupid. It is brown and ugly. It sucks the life and light out of a kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 132March 13, 2019 7:37 AM

I worry about RADON, if I wanted all that radioactivity, I'd hang around the Nevada Test Site.

by Anonymousreply 133March 13, 2019 7:48 AM

Ok. I know I'm setting myself up for derision ,hate and vitriol but I'm curious what the general opinion is about a house I'm probably going to make an offer on in the next month.

I already posted an image of the kitchen at R51 and now I'm posting a link to the entire property. My interest in this home is a complicated intersection of considerations including location, proximity to my boyfriend's place in the city, sq. footage, acreage, price, view and overall potential for aesthetic improvement.

I want honest, brutal assessments, perceptions,questions and insights that one can only find at DL. Trolls and insults welcomed and encouraged. Believe me, I have my own ideas on the various pros and cons of this home but unbiased,unsympathetic opinions are always invaluable.

Or you can just tell me to piss off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 13, 2019 7:52 AM

And here's a street view that demonstrates, to me, the property's biggest selling point. Unfortunately, the image doesn't show the 5 mountain view of the Cascades, which is spectacular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135March 13, 2019 8:02 AM

Lovely house in a beautiful location. My only criticism is about the window treatments. How many people are going to live there? The kitchen is fine but I would spruce up the countertops (of course, look at the thread we are in). The gravel on the driveway will have to be refreshed at least every 2 years. Is the acreage mostly grass and is the ground flat? If you have sloping land that makes it difficult to maintain.

by Anonymousreply 136March 13, 2019 8:54 AM

Yes, R136. It's the setting of this place that appeals to me most. I think I would pave the drive so the gravel wouldn't be an issue and the land is flat to gently sloping. Mostly grass that a riding mower could handle. Right now the majority of land is planted in hay for tax deferral but I would like to plant an acre or two in hazelnut and apple orchards. The kitchen is dated but a fairly large space. I can live with it but eventually I would make significant changes.

by Anonymousreply 137March 13, 2019 9:33 AM

R136. I would be the sole occupant but I entertain a lot and have family and friends who stay with me constantly so the size is great for that. Eventually, my bf may decide to rent his place out and move in with me so the larger space will be justified.

And yes, those window treatments will be among the first things to go.

i

by Anonymousreply 138March 13, 2019 9:43 AM

I still know a lot of people with granite in their kitchens, most of which is beautiful and I have it in my kitchen as well. However, I do feel most granites have a look that, nowadays, comes across as highly dated. Mine is this pretty, but rather frenetic, darker grey-ish tone with a lot of splatter in it. The stone is, in and of itself, very beautiful, but I can't get past the dated look. A lot of granite look like the late-80s/early-90s look where homes took on that faux-art deco look. Most people I know who are re-doing their kitchens are doing the quartz/Cambria stuff or matte look, with soapstone or whatever. I must say I really do enjoy the look of concrete or soapstone, but have heard a few horror stories regarding their upkeep.

To R134, beautiful home. I hope it works out. I like the gravel drive.

by Anonymousreply 139March 13, 2019 10:57 AM

I have black granite -- but black with a lot of character. Installed approx 8 years ago and still looks fantastic and it is indestructible. A pot of boiling water, no problem. Cutting right on it, no problem. Usable and attractive... I love it.

R134, I like the house. I don't know the area but when it comes to a home, I always say that you can change anything you want about a home except the view... and the view looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 140March 13, 2019 11:21 AM

R134, well, it's not my taste but like you said, the land and the views (and that back deck) are impressive.

One suggestion: get rid of the small island in the kitchen. (Who ever heard of a kitchen with two islands!!) Extend the larger island if you want a bar with seating but I don't think you need it and it's too cramped for two people to sit at.

It looks like the windows have natural wood trim, I'd paint all that to match the walls.

The columns at the doorway of the dining room, just no.

I mean, everything looks like it's in good condition, just dated. I don't think you need to rip out perfectly functional cabinets and counters just to look more au courant. Make some cosmetic changes and you're all set.

by Anonymousreply 141March 13, 2019 11:29 AM

Forgot to add, a long gravel driveway, how do you plow that? Doesn't all the gravel get scraped up?

by Anonymousreply 142March 13, 2019 11:31 AM

Corian has been around as long as granite. In the final analysis purchase whatever pleases you. Everything gets trashed over time and following trends is insipid.

by Anonymousreply 143March 13, 2019 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Your critiques are very much appreciated.

R141. That redundant island and those tacky columns are the first thing I would schedule for demolition. The entire dining space is awkward and reminds me of a county fair exhibit hall. I would probably eliminate the entire space, eventually. Also. the columns in the living room would need to be scaled back. They're much to bulky for that area. I have a lot of plans for this place. But like you said, start with the cosmetics.

R142. I'm a native Oregonian and here in the Willamette Valley it rarely gets snow that lasts more than a week let alone needs to be plowed, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 144March 13, 2019 2:29 PM

It's lovely, and what a view R144. Seems like a lot of house and land for the money. Also noticed it's close to the Woodburn factory outlet stores! Cheap Le Creuset just half an hour away.

Don't bother with a riding mower - get sheep, and just install fencing around the yard and a ha-ha closer to the house so you can still have an unmolested garden. My neighbours have done that and they love the freedom of not mowing the lawn.

by Anonymousreply 145March 13, 2019 3:19 PM

Sweet decking on that house, r34.

by Anonymousreply 146March 13, 2019 9:38 PM

nice house

by Anonymousreply 147March 13, 2019 9:42 PM

Seems like a lot of house for one person but it doesn't need much work to make it nicer. I'd focus on those brass fixtures everywhere. It also appears to be overpriced for the area. They've had to reduce it in price by almost $100K since the original listing a year ago. Looks like they're not really that much of a "motivated seller" if they aren't pricing properly.

Are you really the current owner? There is a "beware of bears" picture in one bedroom and "an old bear lives here with his honey" plaque in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 148March 13, 2019 9:51 PM

Lots of great insights and honest opinions from everyone. Thanks for weighing in.

And R148. Believe me,if I were the owner I wouldn't be selling. And at 170 lbs with only a light dusting of body hair I don't think I'd even qualify as an otter, let alone a bear.

by Anonymousreply 149March 14, 2019 2:11 PM

I had a realtor over recently. He said the place is great as it is, it just needs an updated bathroom and kitchen. Those are the only rooms I gutted and redid!😩. But, that was 12+ years ago, so I guess that happens.

At least with the bathroom, I made some improvements that should always be useful. I moved an inconvient pipe which enabled me to widened the room, maybe 5”, which was quite a feat, since it’s an entirely interior room. Oh, I installed venting to the exterior. It used to just vent into the space above the ceiling, which can cause mold.

I also added a longer-than-standard and wider and deeper tub which is still scratch-less, if a person wants a tub. I know rubs were out, but I’ve recently heard they were coming back. Plus I wired the room for cable TV, for use while tubbing or while shaving in the morning. .

by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2019 12:04 AM

R134, the light fixture in the entry hall is an ugly $30 fixture you can find at Home Depot, which could be a sign of cheap or subpar construction and finishings. The front door is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2019 1:31 AM

I see that front door style on so much new/recent construction. No matter what style the McMansion, they stick an oval Victorian stained glass door on front.

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2019 10:26 AM

R151 aka “boob light”, about $22 at The Depot if you want shiny brass, $11 if you can tolerate nickel. There’s one in at least one bedroom as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 15, 2019 10:47 AM

R150 those seem like very smart improvements. And 5" of extra space in a bathroom sure can make a difference, can't it? I recently renovated my bathroom, and 5" of extra space allowed me to select a more comfortable tub.

R153 those fixtures seem to be everywhere, don't they? When I see one, I wonder what other short cuts were made in construction or renovation.

by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2019 4:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 15, 2019 10:29 PM

She has TWO jugs r155

by Anonymousreply 156March 16, 2019 12:18 AM

Thank you church lady at R155.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 16, 2019 12:19 AM

Yes, r156, she’s one of the wealthy ones.

by Anonymousreply 158March 16, 2019 12:19 AM

Whatever R155. I give to plenty of charitable organizations and relief efforts. I feel NO guilt.

Now, back to first world problems-----what do you all think of islands that are a different color than the cabinets?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 16, 2019 12:26 AM

If they complement each other t can break a sea of same-material-finishes. Sometimes makes the island look like a piece if furniture rather than cabinetry. Need a large kitchen to make an island work, tho. Otherwise it’s looks before function.

by Anonymousreply 160March 16, 2019 1:32 AM

Sorry for the typos, at least I got the it’s right.

by Anonymousreply 161March 16, 2019 1:33 AM

R159 I like them in many cases. Maybe they work best if the other cabinets aren't too fussy? Not sure. I know they are a trend, but it seems like they could easily be repainted if a new owner prefers a matching color.

And R156 R157 and R159 you made me smile. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 162March 16, 2019 2:05 AM

What's up with Australians calling counters benches?

by Anonymousreply 163March 16, 2019 12:18 PM

I heard there is a correlation between granite countertop usage and incel behavior.

by Anonymousreply 164March 16, 2019 1:18 PM

I like that granite counter tops are mildly radioactive. For a little fun lay some film (You know before digital cameras) on granite and then develop it. It'll be fogged due to the radiation.

by Anonymousreply 165March 16, 2019 1:52 PM

"I give to plenty of charitable organizations and relief efforts. I feel NO guilt."

Get her, girls. Her shit don't stink.

by Anonymousreply 166March 16, 2019 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!