Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Captain Marvel to have MASSIVE opening, proving Marvel movies are now critic proof

This shit ain't going away any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Monday at 10:23 PM

It’s 81 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Marvel generally makes very good super hero movies. DC is generally a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2019

Yeah I've yet to see an outright negative review R1. Some have said it was "OK", but nobody is saying it outright sucked (cough, Justice League, cough).

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2019

Got all my tickets for tonight. Going with my brosquad.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2019

It looks really bad.

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2019

Will Brie become even more insufferable ,allegedly ?

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2019

I’ll be going tomorrow morning with my friends. Seeing it in IMAX. These movies have become such cultural talking points that I don’t know how someone would get buy without seeing it. Won’t you feel left out when all of your friends/co-workers are talking about it on Monday?

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2019

Can’t Wait to see it at 9

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2019

You seem surprised that another MCU movie is a hit. The MCU is the most reliable thing in the movie business, all their movies are hits.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2019

Welcome to my big opening!

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2019

Watching it with my best friend, her boyfriend, my x and my current boyfriend tonight bitches

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2019

I'm so sick of these fucking movies.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2019

Well to be fair R8, Ant Man (and the sequel) did fine, but were not "hits" (same with that horrible Thor movie). They made money to be sure, but not Black Panther/Infinity War money. It is almost disturbing that at this point we are calling Ant Man movie "OK" (financially) when it still made almost 4X the budget.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2019

I don't know that I've ever seen a thread on this sight that is so obviously an advertisement, and so poorly done as this one.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2019

Brie is one of these smug SJW girls. Give it time. She'll have skeletons in her closet too that will knock her down from her smug, uneducated pedestal.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2019

r11 I feel the same way about you

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2019

R6 is particularly entertaining. Whatever in the world would I ever have to talk about, if not for this movie. She really is a superhero, coming into my vacuous empty life and giving it the meaning I need to have something, anything to talk about on Monday morning. Such a hero.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2019

I thought both Ant Man Movies, Winter Soldier, and Aquaman were the greatest comic book movies to come out in several years. I like the DC movies better overall. The Marvel movies have shitty villains. This one is no exception.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2019

I wanna fuck Jude Law.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2019

r18 harrd

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2019

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Larson and Jackson have good chemistry. Annette Bening seems to be choosing to age naturally and looks her age. That's not an insult, just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2019

havent seen a.superhero movie in the last 20 years. and i'm proud of it. and yes, i'm better than you.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2019

r21 you had sex with one midget and now you think your better than us?!

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2019

R21, But how will you find anything to talk about with others? These have become such cultural talking points, after all. These films are at the forefront of our cultural talking points, don't you know?

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2019

But it's getting good reviews? Unless you buy into the bullshit that some sad, lonely virgins are trying to push that it's a shit film because the lead doesn't make men out to be gods or that the film isn't led by a muscular, tall, good looking guy who represents their suppressed homosexual urges.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2019

"Ms. Marvel"

Captain Marvel has a dick.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2019

I refuse to applaud for Brie. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2019

Marvel movies are always critic proof. they are all variations on the same boring, basic, CGI fest.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2019

I only go for cool action scenes and witty one-liners and these comic movies are so fucking long too. I'll watch probably after spring break, fuck going on a Friday or the weekend. Or just wait for the $1 movie.

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2019

The most boring Oscar winner in my lifetime. So not a star.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2019

I can’t get off my ass to see How To Train A Dradon 3 in 3d. I like Brie the star of Room will be forever cool in my book.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2019

R6 Loser

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2019

She's cool in my book. kinda funny and affable in interviews. I want to see HTTYD also but will wait til the kids dissipate.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2019

I still don't know how got cast. She's so boring.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2019

Brie is very stiff onscreen. The movie is OK. The first end-credit scene is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2019

The comic book film cycle has to peter out at some point. It's getting boring. I think when Robert Downey and Chris Evans leave the series after the Avengers film being released in the Spring, the new characters won't hold a candle to them and we'll start to see a little less interest in what comes next.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2019

I've seen both Ant Man movies, could not tell you a single plot point

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2019

[quote]It’s 81 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Marvel generally makes very good super hero movies. DC is generally a hot mess.

If you only count Top Critics the rating drops to 65%. And, more worryingly, the audience score at RT is only 52%. On comparison Alita: Battle Angel's audience score is 94%. The audience score shows the percentage of RT users who've voted the movie 3.5 stars or higher.

On Metacritic the score is 65.

The movie is probably technically extremely well made, like all MCU films, and it's most probaby a fun ride to experience. But like many MCU films you probably pretty much forget what happened in it five minutes after it's over. Some of their films are super bland, like Ant-Man but still I was surprised how much I liked watching the sequel. I'll definitely catch Captain Marvel at some point but I'm not expecting much.

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2019

R24, do you shill directly or indirectly for Hollywood?

Captain Marvel is a trash fire and only NPCs are eating it up. The movie is not doing well and Disney can’t grease any more palms and manipulate the press to trick the public. “Access journalists” have admitted to saying it was fine instead of telling the truth because then they’ll miss out on ACCESS to Infinity War and every other Marvel movie thereafter.

I’m in the 30s, don’t know anyone seeing it. My nephews and nieces laughed when I asked. Face it, Captain Marvel is the Hillary Clinton of superheroes and she’s propped by accusing people of misogyny!

Does anyone really feel like cringing in a movie theater when the movie plays No Doubt’s “I’m Just a Girl” while “just a girl” engages in some green screen CGI highly-choreographed-badassrry?!

😂 😂 😂

by Anonymousreply 3803/09/2019

Just time travelled back to the 10s and nobody here wants to see it either that isn’t a blue-haired land whale keyboard activist.

I’m also IN my 30s. Maybe I’m too old to enjoy cape movies. A few were good but Black Panther and Avengers 2-3 were funny bad.

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2019

r38 Dude, it's 2019, you can let Hillary go.

[quote]On comparison Alita: Battle Angel's audience score is 94%.

Which tells you all you need to know about the boy who vote on these things. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to rely on the taste of people who liked Alita.

by Anonymousreply 4003/09/2019

This whole debate is very silly.

Very few people care about ratings and the ones that do are internet savvy enough to care know that they're being tampered with on sites.

[quotes]I’m in the 30s, don’t know anyone seeing it.

I'm not surprised if your nieces and nephews are your only friends.

by Anonymousreply 4103/09/2019

Ahh, there's some weird ass alt-right movement against Captain Marvel and that's why the RT audience score is so low. I didn't read OP's Deadline article before posting so I had no idea the right wing cunt linked in the article was talking about Alita and telling his followers to go see it instead of Captain Marvel. However in any case the critics' scores aren't really that great.

R40, Alita is actually a pretty decent film. Not great by any means but I went in expecting to hate it but I ended up falling in love with the characters almost from the start. Unfortunately that high didn't last for the entirety of the movie but for a Robert Rodriguez film it was well-made. Too bad we probably won't be seeing a sequel since there's no way Alita will break even, unless James Cameron makes it happen.

by Anonymousreply 4203/09/2019

It was good

by Anonymousreply 4303/09/2019

She's been all over TV this week on the interview circuit and every time I see her, without fall, I say, "Who the fuck is that?"

She looks like she should be working at Barnes and Noble. Or just won the Publishers Clearinghouse.

by Anonymousreply 4403/09/2019

The audience score was like 30% a WEEK before the movie opened R37. There is some trolling going on there.

I just saw it. It was fine. Not great, but not bad. A reviewer on youtube (a female critic) called it "Captain Feminism : The Movie", and I do have to agree with her on that. It was.a bit too on the nose, but it didn't distract me too much.

by Anonymousreply 4503/09/2019

Doesn't anyone of the female gender find this stuff patronizing? A female superhero (as if that's never happened before)! International Woman's Day (because it's still a shock that some women accomplish things)? Such weird shit.

by Anonymousreply 4603/09/2019

[quote]The movie is not doing well

‘Captain Marvel’ Tramples Internet Trolls & Skyrockets To $157M-$160M Opening

Don’t believe the trolls on Rotten Tomatoes’ audience score, or the zany, small white dude contingency misconstruing Brie Larson’s call for diversity in film critics for man-hating: There is absolutely no question, Disney’s Captain Marvel is a huge hit, with an industry estimated $62M Friday (including $20.7M Thursday previews) and an opening weekend between $157M-$160M, currently the third-best for the month of March after Beauty and the Beast ($174.7M) and Batman v. Superman ($166M). Captain Marvel is also the 7th best debut for a Disney MCU title.

by Anonymousreply 4703/09/2019

It's so empowering!

by Anonymousreply 4803/09/2019

R10, that lineup sounded like it could end in tears. Did it?

by Anonymousreply 4903/09/2019

Marvel movies are overrated trash. It's been ten years of this crap. Can't we move on?

by Anonymousreply 5003/09/2019

I saw it and it was fine. I'm not a fan of the MCU for all the reasons already stated, but a friend wanted to see it, so I went. It is a typical MCU movie, and the college kids behind us were excited by every detail and laughed at every joke. I think it is closest to Guardians of the Galaxy, but since I don't get any of the superhero movies, I may be wrong. It took me a while to understand what was going on, the dialogue was cringey bad and caters to fanboys, the acting/casting was inconsistent, and some of the effects were distracting (the reverse aging of Samuel L Jackson, Annette Bening struggled with the blue screen). However, it's the first Marvel movie that made me laugh out loud, and I genuinely enjoyed the last 30 minutes or so. Plus Ben Mendelson. So it was fine, and definitely worth seeing if you are a Marvel fan.

by Anonymousreply 5103/09/2019

R47, the film’s production cost is estimated at ca. $152 million. Plus additional marketing overheads and distribution overheads (especially in China, where the gov’t takes a big chunk of the profits for itself).

The film is estimated to have received a gross of $188m so far (a lot of it in China, see above problem) - but that’s gross, not net profit.

So in order for it to be a financial “huge hit”, like Deadline assumes, it needs to keep up a consistent revenue stream for longer.

But most loyal Marvel fanboys will have already seen it by now. So the question will be whether regular moviegoers will be half-arsed to go buy a ticket in the next few weeks.

Personally, the trailer and promotion didn’t interest me at all. They didn’t show any interesting, suspenseful storyline or unusual characters. No eye-candy either. I’m not a Marvel / Disney fanboy, so I’m not going to buy a product just because it has Marvel in its name.

Most British official reviews are lukewarm as well. 3 out of 5 stars is mediocre. They also say the main character is largely written or played as emotionless and poker-faced.

By comparison, I still remember when I saw the trailer for Winter Soldier - I was hooked from the get-go. Captivating story and lots of eye-candy. One of the few Marvel films I bothered to pay for.

by Anonymousreply 5203/09/2019

Just saw it. Meh

by Anonymousreply 5303/09/2019

Just saw it. Liked it a lot. First half hour sucked but then it really picked up when Jackson came in. Brie grew on me, though I still think she’s not memorable enough to become a real A list star. Jude Law looked hot, after some rough years.

Captain Marvel as a character actually made me excited to see Endgame. Infinity Wars was just too much of a downer for me - this gave me some hope for the next big Avengers movie.

by Anonymousreply 5403/09/2019

Is that what a ‘good’ weekend is ? 150 million ? I remember Solo had a huge number but was still considered poor ?

by Anonymousreply 5503/09/2019

Larson is not very compelling as a central character here. I feel like her unlimited powers were the real star. It’ll be interesting to see if she does better sharing the spotlight with the rest of the team.

Ironically...slicing through spaceships in a blaze of light is EXCATLY what I would have wanted to see from a well-developed Dark Phoenix. But it looks like Fox will have Jean in a trench coat...disintegrating people. Again. Just fucking kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 5603/09/2019

It was overly long and it still didn't explain critical details about her power. How does she fly in space without a suit or oxygen. didn't she have a suit at the beginning of the movie? If her power comes from an infinity stone how does she retain that power when thanos has the stone?

by Anonymousreply 5703/09/2019

This may be a stupid question, but wasn't Captain Marvel originally a male superhero? And his female counterpart was Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)? I could've sworn she was a he.......

by Anonymousreply 5803/10/2019

Yes, Mar-Vell was Captain Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 5903/10/2019

Yup, as R58 said:

"Captain Marvel" was Mar-Vell.

"Ms. Marvel" was Carol's original name and while she got her powers from Mar'Vell originally, Maria's Rambeau's daughter Monica became Captain Marvel after Mar-Vell.

Carol didn't become Captain Marvel until years later in the comics after she had a couple of other names. Carol as "Captain Marvel" is relatively new in the scheme of things.

Kamala Kahn is the current Ms. Marvel.

Long story short: The titles of "Captain Marvel" and "Ms. Marvel" are linked but completely different titles.

by Anonymousreply 6003/10/2019

The problem with this movie is that the protagonist actress is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 6103/10/2019

[quote]Doesn't anyone of the female gender find this stuff patronizing? A female superhero (as if that's never happened before)! International Woman's Day (because it's still a shock that some women accomplish things)? Such weird shit.

Well you certainly sound offended, you little Mr. Snowflake. I'm male and I've never felt threatened by feminism.

[quote] Ironically...slicing through spaceships in a blaze of light is EXCATLY what I would have wanted to see from a well-developed Dark Phoenix. But it looks like Fox will have Jean in a trench coat...disintegrating people. Again. Just fucking kill me now.

Judging by the latest trailer they do have some sequences in space, but sure I doubt Jean will fight with the Shi'ar forces in space like in the original comics story. Singer's X-Men films (not counting Apocalypse) are my favorite superhero films and quite honestly I'm not expecting much from this film. Jean being controlled by The Hellfire Club was a fabulous story in itself but I assume they do not even appear in the film since Jessica Chastain's character apparently is not part of them. I thought she might be The White Queen but Kinberg last year pretty much ruled that out.

by Anonymousreply 6203/10/2019

This film was released when there was absolutely nothing else to see at the movies.

by Anonymousreply 6303/10/2019

R63, studios tend to open mostly really small counterprogramming films during any superhero film opening weekends.

by Anonymousreply 6403/10/2019

These are adults posting here, right?

by Anonymousreply 6503/10/2019

I enjoyed it

by Anonymousreply 6603/10/2019

R65, we tend to get about ten times more posts about soaps than superhero films. I'd says soaps can be way more juvenile than superhero films. At least conversations don't last three weeks in superhero films or tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 6703/10/2019

[Quote] If her power comes from an infinity stone how does she retain that power when thanos has the stone

Wanda's powers comes from an infinity stone as well, someone else having the stone didn't mean anything to her. It is just the origin.

by Anonymousreply 6803/10/2019

I asked this on the other thread, but did anybody else think that maybe the daughter in the Skrull family will turn out to be Nebula? That perhaps her parents are killed and Thanos "adopts" her?

I don't know Nebula's origin so I may be way off the cracker here.

by Anonymousreply 6903/10/2019

You might be right in all you say, R52, but characterizing the sixth highest global debut of all time as "not doing well" makes it a bit suspect.

by Anonymousreply 7003/10/2019

Yeah, whatever, douchebag R568. A true feminist would never endorse the pandering of International Woman's Day or whatever that Hallmark shit is. They're too busy doing and being it (one hopes).

by Anonymousreply 7103/10/2019

Sixth highest grossing opening in history

by Anonymousreply 7203/11/2019

Internationally

by Anonymousreply 7303/11/2019

r61 You need to be beheaded baby

by Anonymousreply 7403/11/2019

R38 better take your meds because it is a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 7503/11/2019

Yep R75. 3X budget opening weekend. It doesn't really get much better. Anything more at this point is pure profit (including money we don't see reported - DVD, iTunes, Amazon, merchandise, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 7603/11/2019

Captain Marvel is set in the 1990s. They went for a different feel, that's why the fanboys hate it. When Carol gets to Avengers: Endgame, it's going to be a different story.

r56, let's face it Chris Klein isn't that compelling either except for the rocking bod.

Carol Danvers in the comics is one of the most abused and most interesting characters Marvel created, so the films can't capture it all. She was an early feminist, then the character was raped, brainwashed and the Avengers, thinking she was in love with her alien assailant let her go. She comes back as Binary, then Warbird, facing the loss of powers, becomes an alcoholic, gets removed from the Avengers and finally eventually Marvel does right by the character.

For the rest of you who aren't comic fans, we get it. You think superheroes and the movies are stupid. Why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 7703/11/2019

This movie looks tedious.

by Anonymousreply 7803/11/2019

It isn't all that R78, but if you are into the MCU, worth a see.

by Anonymousreply 7903/11/2019

R77 an alcoholic?? I wonder if she ever interacted with Jessica Jones??

by Anonymousreply 8003/11/2019

Ok, I have a question. What is the Avengers scene shown at the end of credits ?

I don't care to see the film, but I'm curious about this.

by Anonymousreply 8103/13/2019

R81, here you go.

by Anonymousreply 8203/13/2019

Thank you, R82 !

by Anonymousreply 8303/13/2019

I saw it last night. Nonsensical and boring. There were maybe 20 people in Wednesday 8:00 pm showing.

As we were walking, my friend said “it was bad as the Han Solo movie. I’m so sick of mediocre super hero movies. Maybe I need to watch foreign films with subtitles for a while.”

by Anonymousreply 8403/14/2019

So glad it’s a huge smash

by Anonymousreply 8503/14/2019

Yeah, that happened R84.

I'm enjoying the neckbeard tears over the movie's success.

by Anonymousreply 8603/14/2019

I'm glad so many people spend good money to watch it.

Then I laugh that all they have to show for it afterward is posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8703/14/2019

[quote][R77] an alcoholic?? I wonder if she ever interacted with Jessica Jones??

Are you kidding? They were best friends in the comic.

by Anonymousreply 8803/14/2019

With that weekend result, Captain Marvel owns the second best second frame in March after Beauty and the Beast two years ago which drew $90.4M and ahead of 2010’s Alice in Wonderland ($62.7M). Friday’s results of $18.8M put Captain Marvel at $215.7M through EOD today. By end of Sunday, she’s looking at $266.9M at the high-end.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Saturday at 4:52 AM

box office flop a roonie.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Saturday at 6:07 AM

Huge

by Anonymousreply 91Last Saturday at 6:20 AM

The movie has made 760mil worldwide already.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Sunday at 1:47 PM

It's made more money worldwide in its first week than the mega-hyped ASIB has made in almost 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 93Last Sunday at 1:58 PM

The alt-right crowd were so convinced this movie would flop too, which is what makes this entertaining to me.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Sunday at 2:05 PM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 95Last Sunday at 2:11 PM

Its international box office will overtake "Wonder Woman" by next weekend. That's incredible for a much lesser known female superhero.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Monday at 4:06 AM

Huge

by Anonymousreply 97Last Monday at 4:11 AM

Part 2 is guaranteed

by Anonymousreply 98Last Monday at 4:10 AM

R38/R71 have not come back. Too busy choking on crow I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Monday at 5:20 AM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 100Last Monday at 5:53 AM

I saw the film yesterday. Unfortunately it's one of the more forgettable MCU films. Enjoyable to watch to a point but amazingly shallow. I actually fell asleep a few times in the theater. There wasn't much emotional connection with the characters even though I did like them. Two things stood out in the film, first the tribute to Stan Lee had me in tears, and second, the skrull who made a face at the slow transfer speed from a cd was just brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 101Last Monday at 4:29 PM

They're making these movies in different genres, so one's enjoyment of these movies may depend on how much they enjoy that particular genre. I largely enjoyed this one, but my tolerance for 90s action buddy films is very limited, so that was a drawback for me.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Monday at 4:59 PM

[quote]The movie has made 760mil worldwide already.

It already outgrossed Oscar-loser Floppy Poopy Turds by three times.

by Anonymousreply 103Last Monday at 6:02 PM

will the incels now commit e-suicide?

by Anonymousreply 104Last Monday at 8:48 PM

[Quote] Are you kidding? They were best friends in the comic.

If I'd read the comic books, I wouldn't have asked.

by Anonymousreply 105Last Monday at 10:22 PM

All the tests proved this movie was going to be a smash hit, which is why Brie Larson ended her "engagement" to a gay man as she was advised (ordered) that she was entering supernova status soon as a superstar actress.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Monday at 10:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!