Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Captain Marvel’ Review: A Massively Disappointing Introduction to Carol Danvers

Brie Larson has all the right stuff, but she can't save this generic Avengers prequel from being among the most disappointing Marvel movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2019 9:48 AM

The reviews are overwhelmingly positive with an 84% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so you cherry pick that one review, OP.

You tried it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2019 1:22 PM

Metacritic:

[quote]66% - Generally favorable reviews

So not overwhelmingly positive. Some of those top critics on RT who didn't like it obviously gave it the lowest Fresh rating they could out of goodwill. Which I'm totally fine with because it needs all the boost it can get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2019 1:35 PM

Ah, I see now you have to click on the "More info" tab on Rotten Tomatoes in order to see the scores from Top Critics only. And surprise, it's at 63%, with an average rating of 6/10.

by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2019 1:38 PM

Maybe we are finally getting tired of these badly told, infantile stories?

What happened to the world that greasy kids’ stuff became entertainment for adults? That adults eagerly read children’s book and built their entire lives around “shipping” the actors playing characters in teen movies?

And of course we have the colossal immaturity needed to make certain political decisions in the US and UK....

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2019 1:49 PM

The RottenTomatoes reveiws ARE overwhelmingly positive, but this movie highlights the weakness of that rating system. A lot of the positive reviews are very unenthusiastic. It's like they are awarding a participation trophy to a disabled child. Contrast this to to raves for "Wonder Woman."

Here are some of the qualifications in four of the positive reviews-

[quote] Slate.com: Captain Marvel sometimes resembles the kind of low-budget sci-fi that might have played on kids’ TV on a Saturday afternoon in the era when this movie is set....Finally, Women Have Their Own Mediocre Marvel Movie. Captain Marvel is just as formulaic as countless other superhero films. That’s a triumph.

[quote]RT: A plucky and pleasing, if predictable, excursion that burns brightly, if briefly.

[quote] RT: It is such a shame this film isn't a little better.

[quote] RT: As shaky and unfocused as "Captain Marvel" often seems, it manages to reach its destination with confidence. In the end, Larson sticks the landing, albeit with something more muted than absolute triumph.

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2019 2:03 PM

Ah, the butt-hurt fanboi's who can't stand the idea of a woman being in charge are out en force today! Cry more, incel-scum...

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2019 2:07 PM

r6 You see enemies everywhere, don't you? I was more excited about this than I was for WW, so excuse me for being disappointed when reading those mediocre reviews. I'll still see it, of course.

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2019 2:10 PM

Meh. The last time they made a mediocre movie in the aftermath of a highly successful Avengers movie it made $1.2 Billion. I doubt they care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2019 2:17 PM

I just want to see her kick Thanos' butt.

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2019 2:18 PM

Marvel films are almost always overrated by critics. If the critics are saying this one is meh, it must suck hard.

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2019 3:01 PM

Big-leaguing Carol Danvers has always been a struggle; she's a supporting character who became a legacy superhero, had several names and identities (Ms Marvel, Binary, Warbird) before becoming the fifth or sixth Marvel character called 'Captain Marvel'. There's just too much not very interesting baggage.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2019 3:02 PM

Getting so bored of these superhero movies.

by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2019 3:04 PM

Trying too hard to " empower women."

by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2019 3:12 PM

It’s Marvel so it already has an audience. I don’t understand Brie Larson. They signed her at the height of her Oscar campaign but she never really broke through to become a star.

I guess that’s what this is? I like some of her movies but she’s very bland.

by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2019 3:33 PM

It was a pleasure to block the unhinged MRA from Reddit at R15.

by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2019 6:43 PM

I loathe Larson, so I badly want this to flop so she has to do dinner theater in Peoria for the rest of her life, but apparently this POS is selling big on Fandango already.

by Anonymousreply 17March 6, 2019 6:46 PM

R16 Unhinged lesbo Larson fantard.

Slurp slurp slurp, hunty

by Anonymousreply 18March 6, 2019 6:56 PM

I saw Captain Marvel tonight. The major problem for me was that the bag of cement in the corner of my garage has more charisma than Brie Larson. She is not compelling; zero star power.

Say what you will about Angelina Jolie (and, what hasn't been said about her?) she has mesmerizing screen presence; star power galore. Take a look, for example, at enjoyable shlock like "Salt". She took a ridiculous role and plot and made you forget, or enjoy, its ridiculousness because of one thing, you can't take your eyes off of her.

I agree with the review the OP posted.

The value, if any, to"Captain Marvel" is that its plot and ending credits scenes lead to Avengers Endgame, part 2 of Infinity War.

If you've seen CM, did you think it's possible that the daughter within the Skrull family may be Nebula? They never say her name.

by Anonymousreply 19March 8, 2019 4:07 AM

[quote] she's a supporting character who became a legacy superhero, had several names and identities (Ms Marvel, Binary, Warbird) before becoming the fifth or sixth Marvel character called 'Captain Marvel'

Thanks for the backstory. I don't keep up with the plotlines anymore. I was afraid Cap had gone trans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 8, 2019 4:23 AM

r19 is right. Brie Larson is charisma-free. She's so boring, I can't even remember what she looks like or sounds like.

by Anonymousreply 21March 8, 2019 4:29 AM

Don't give a fuck. I still plan on seeing it. CM really can't be any worse than BvS.

by Anonymousreply 22March 8, 2019 4:38 AM

I'm not a soy boy, so I won't be watching this SJW identity politics fest.

by Anonymousreply 23March 8, 2019 6:53 AM

But does her pussy stink???

by Anonymousreply 24March 8, 2019 7:54 AM

Tired misogyny queen at R23, I'm guessing you somehow "missed" the entire subplots of nearly every superhero movie over the past 40 years being thinly veiled stories of life in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 25March 8, 2019 8:00 AM

I saw it tonight and was pleasantly surprised, given all the negative buzz I'd heard in recent months. Brie and Sam Jackson have genuine chemistry (as actors), and the Carol/Nick Fury scenes were pretty much all amazing. The movie dragged at times, but mainly because it had to supply so much exposition for everything related to the character / comics (even explaining how the name "Mar-Vell" ended up being pronounced as "Marvel") and tying it in to "Infinity War" and "Endgame." Still, it's better than the first "Captain America" and "Thor" movies, both of which were also tasked with similar exposition requirements, but admittedly not "Wonder Woman"-caliber on any level. (OTOH it's also not BvS caliber on any level!)

I was also surprised by how entirely seamless the de-aging of both Sam Jackson and the greater Los Angeles area looked. Still amazing that Marvel can make a 40something Nick Fury work for half the movie - and in fully lit shots, not any camera trickery - but DC can't even digitally delete a fucking mustache realistically! It was also nice to see an L.A. movie being *shot* in L.A. instead of subbing in Atlanta for everything, as has been the case for most MCU movies.

by Anonymousreply 26March 8, 2019 8:13 AM

Boring as hell. I wanted to walk out but I didn't want to draw attention to myself. Brie Larson is hard to look at, and she has no star charisma (and why did they let her lank, floppy hair fall in her face the whole movie?). Too many heartwarming scenes of people taaaalking.

Spend your money on something else.

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2019 10:15 PM

It’s definitely not the worst. But I prefer when a movie can stand alone without needing to have seen a bunch of earlier movies to follow the plot.

But Brie Larsen was good. And Ben Mendelsohn and Jude Law were handsome daddies.

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2019 11:23 PM

I won't be going to see it but it's no flop.

: Disney's release of Marvel Studios's Captain Marvel delivered an estimated $61.3 million on Friday, including $20.7 million from Thursday night previews. The performance is $5.2 million higher than the opening day for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which went on to open with $146.5 million and current industry expectations have Captain Marvel finishing the three-day anywhere from $145-155+ million. The film received an "A" CinemaScore.

Internationally, the film currently stands at an estimated $127 million through Friday. Included in that is an estimated $34.3 million opening day in China, which ranks as the second highest MCU opening day in the market ever behind only Avengers: Infinity War. Elsewhere, South Korea is the second highest grossing market so far with $9.3 million followed by Indonesia ($6.4m), Brazil ($5.4m), Russia ($5.4m), UK ($5.3m), Australia ($4.5m), France ($4.3m), Mexico ($4.1m), Thailand ($3.7m) and Germany ($3.4m).

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2019 2:19 AM

I really enjoyed it, and I went in cautious. In terms of Marvel's total creative output, I'm not sure where it falls, but I do think it's one of their better origin stories.

Probably not surprisingly, Goose stole the movie.

by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2019 1:22 PM

Second biggest Marvel opening ever. Made 450 million worldwide in three days.

by Anonymousreply 31March 11, 2019 1:23 PM

Wonder how the Black Widow movie will do in comparison.....?

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2019 1:25 PM

Marvel should have hired Kim Raver to do the Captain Marvel movie. Yes, Kim does the voice over of Captain Marvel in a cartoon version.

by Anonymousreply 33March 11, 2019 1:27 PM

I actually liked the movie, despite being very meh on Larson. I kept wondering who they should have cast instead of Larson - she just doesn’t seem like an actress who can carry a big film like this. Frankly, she needs to be a bit hotter and sexier, and I’m saying this as a woman.

Would Blake Lively have worked better? I am so over J Law, but I think she could have carried this more effectively.

And Larson looks 5 years older than 28. She must have gotten her birth certificate from Catherine Zeta Jones’ agent.

by Anonymousreply 34March 11, 2019 1:30 PM

David Ehrlich is the biggest damn dork on Film Twitter. He's one of those insufferable guys who is 40 (at least) but tries to act like he's 30. His reviews are as insipid as his Twitter branding.

by Anonymousreply 35March 11, 2019 1:32 PM

The Marvel universe does require a sort of low-key simmering sexuality for its characters, but I felt Larson had that.

Too much is being picked apart because of all the sociocultural baggage her casting caused, and not because of her actual performance or the movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 36March 11, 2019 1:33 PM

I will flat-out admit with no shame whatsoever that I cried at the all Stan Lee version of the Marvel Studios logo. And a little bit at his cameo as well, just because of Carol smiling at him when she realized she could trust him, and because he was playing himself.

by Anonymousreply 37March 11, 2019 1:38 PM

I know she's not a "name" but I always thought Yvonne Strahovski would make a great Carol Danvers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 11, 2019 1:46 PM

I liked Yvonne in Chuck. She would've been a good choice too.

by Anonymousreply 39March 11, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote]r34 I kept wondering who they should have cast instead of Larson

How about Emily Blunt? She was great in Edge of Tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 40March 11, 2019 1:51 PM

What R6 said

by Anonymousreply 41March 11, 2019 1:52 PM

R40 - Blunt would have been great, but is Carol blonde? I guess they could have dyed her hair, or taken some liberties on hair color. Blunt is surprisingly good in action films.

by Anonymousreply 42March 11, 2019 1:59 PM

She is blonde. I'm actually kind of disappointed that they went with that fluffy bob for Brie. In the comics now, her hair is depicted as being a lot shorter and kind of spiky. I saw in an interview that Brie said she was considering going with that for herself, but I guess the Marvel suits didn't think it was hot enough.

by Anonymousreply 43March 11, 2019 2:02 PM

Who is Captain Marvel? With Kim Raver | Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors | FEATURETTE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 11, 2019 2:11 PM

Let's face it, the bloated corpse of Laura Palmer would have been a better Captain Marvel than Charisma-Free Larson.

by Anonymousreply 45March 11, 2019 2:30 PM

I went in underwhelmed and left pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 46March 11, 2019 2:32 PM

It looks terrible. I want to see it to make up my kind myself.

by Anonymousreply 47March 11, 2019 2:36 PM

R39 It would have been fun with both Yvonne and Zachary Levi both playing "Captain Marvel"

by Anonymousreply 48March 11, 2019 2:44 PM

R48 but instead he's Shazam

by Anonymousreply 49March 11, 2019 2:51 PM

I liked it and Brie Larson was good fun too. I am unsure what people what from her? She was was good in the dramatic scenes and had a fun bad ass quality too. I liked the way the film played around with how the normally do an origin story too. Probably the best cast ever assembled for a marvel movie- what more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 50March 11, 2019 3:04 PM

R49 Shazam is Captain Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 51March 11, 2019 3:07 PM

Really liked it. Fem message was not over the top in any way. The real message was "get back up" after a defeat. Try again.

It was funny and warm. The 90's shit was great and dead on. Young Coulson got more of a cheer than young Nick Fury.

Brie was well cast. She's not bland, she's even keeled. She's fierce and determined without being shrill and scary.

When she comes into her powers at the end you're not thinking "What a scary bitch" you're thinking, "Man, she could take Thanos out."

It was well done.

Oh and GOOSE!

by Anonymousreply 52March 11, 2019 6:55 PM

Kim Raver?

by Anonymousreply 53March 12, 2019 2:09 PM

Also, Jude Law looked incredibly jacked.

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2019 1:39 AM

I knew the writer of OP's linked review would be a white male hipster fanboy before I even looked. I'm surprised "ewwww girls" didn't make it into more reviews. Or, I should say that it didn't make it in that blatantly. Between incels, sexist fanboys, sexist Repugs, and the TERF wars, women seem to be target number one right now for beta males. Glad Marvel is kicking ass at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2019 2:03 AM

It's a perfectly fine movie. It's enjoyable. But the gap between what it is, and what it could have been, is large.

by Anonymousreply 56March 14, 2019 3:08 AM

R56, what could it have been?

by Anonymousreply 57March 16, 2019 12:43 AM

Liked the movie but agree Larson was lacking that it factor, something. I didn’t find her acting to be something that draws you in. Maybe she’s better in serious drama?

by Anonymousreply 58March 16, 2019 1:31 AM

Larson has no charisma or screen presence she makes Kristen Stewart look like Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2019 12:35 PM

lol, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2019 12:52 PM

It won its second weekend as well. It's going to end up beating Wonder Woman, which I confess I did not expect.

by Anonymousreply 61March 17, 2019 6:53 PM

I should asterisk that by saying that it likely won't domestically, but it's already fairly close internationally.

Considering the name recognition deficit that Marvel was working with, that's still nothing short of astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 62March 17, 2019 6:56 PM

The movie was perfectly fine, not one of Marvel's best, but not their worst either.

My biggest problem is the real point of an origin story is to introduce the audience to its hero, and I don't feel like I really know who Carol Danvers is. I felt like Brie Larson had surprisingly little to work with in her own damn movie. Samuel L Jackson really worked here, the movie would have been lost with him.

I know so many people love the cat thing, but I honestly felt like I was watching "Men in Black" at that point, I thought it was a step too silly.

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2019 1:31 AM

If this Ms. Marvel is the same one that rogue absorbs completely to gain all of her cool powers, haunting apparitions aside, then circling back into X-men franchise next might make things interesting there once again. Then again, you’d have to deal in the already established story-lines of yester-year, which we all know will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2019 7:08 AM

What was with all the heartwarming scenes of people talking and hugging? It was like a Lifetime TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2019 8:34 AM

Listen, stupids. It's a FUCKING superhero movie. Life is too short to be worried about how it's being reviewed and how it does at the box office--UNLESS you're getting paid to.

My problem with the MCU is that it's not canon, and it's kinda difficult for me to just "Let it go," you know? I'm like..."AHHHH the FUCK!? The Hulks or Thors are sooo much more powerful than Danvers."

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2019 9:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!