Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's happening. Millennials are breeding.

A new baby boom?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 9, 2019 11:52 AM

Not an uncommon sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 27, 2019 8:22 PM

And planet earth just groaned.

by Anonymousreply 2February 27, 2019 8:23 PM

Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 3February 27, 2019 8:24 PM

This generation will be the most autistic and ridden with fetal alcohol syndrome yet. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 4February 27, 2019 8:24 PM

I'm not surprised. New grandbabies are the only thing the older fraus at work talk about. Marriage and kids are the only things younger fraus seem interested in.

by Anonymousreply 5February 27, 2019 8:33 PM

It's not surprising considering the oldest millennials are approaching 40. Hell, the oldest GenZers are now in their 20s.

by Anonymousreply 6February 27, 2019 8:38 PM

It's the ticking biological clock, for women in their 30s at least.

by Anonymousreply 7February 27, 2019 8:51 PM

Does the Wrigleyville CumDump count as breeding?

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2019 8:59 PM

I long for the days of childless yuppies, they are far better conversationalists than parents are. A certain portion of the human population has always bred but the obsession with babies seems much worse during the last decade or so than it did in the 80s or 90s. Even 20 years ago there seemed to be a higher proportion of people who would rather devote their time to travelling or pets. Now it seems borderline socially unacceptable to say you have no desire for a child. I think the trend of the mid 2000s of anti abortion movies like Juno and knocked up made it worse. Suddenly spitting out a baby you didn't plan and were ill prepared for was trendy. There was also a sharp change around the same time in gossip and tabloid rags. Gone were the juicy tales of onset affairs, hidden sexualities, drug use and feuds. It was suddenly all about the fucking "baby bump ". Non stop coverage fixating on who might be pregnant as the most fascinating thing ever. I want to bitch slap whoever coined that phrase.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2019 9:08 PM

Yes, you do see doting Millennial daddies out there. However, it's mostly the women. A couple of years back I knew a guy who said that his longtime girlfriend gave him a straight-up ultimatum: marriage followed by pregnancy, or I'm out of here! He confessed to me that he didn't really want a kid, and that the guys he knew who did so because the women wanted one, pretty much had second thoughts afterwards.

I did not see him for a while, and then ran across him once where I learned that indeed there was a toddler in the picture.

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2019 9:13 PM

Oh man, those breeders are certainly living up to their name.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2019 9:18 PM

Seems like there's a lot more gaybies as well. Gay and lesbian couples with babies although, in general, it seems that these couples skew a little bit older, into their 40s.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2019 9:20 PM

They will be worse than their parents! Entitled bubble people galore!

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2019 9:20 PM

[quote] Yes, you do see doting Millennial daddies out there.

I do seem to see this a lot more recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2019 9:23 PM

Remember my fellow Millennials.....Just because you can make a baby......doesn’t mean you to have one.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2019 9:24 PM

Gay millennials have been breeding for years.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2019 9:43 PM

Yes, another thread discussed this. They take their kids everywhere with them. Even bars.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2019 9:45 PM

I wish the United States would consider going the route of China. One or two kids then you're done. I dislike prolific breeders, it strikes me as a compulsion.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2019 9:48 PM

What R18 said. The planet needs fewer humans on it.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2019 9:57 PM

How does anyone with half a brain contemplate bringing children into this world? We have Trump for president and climate change is obviously accelerating. Who would do that to a kid?

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2019 10:06 PM

Good, the retarded Trump generation just needs to keep clogging its arteries with McDonalds and get out the Millennials' way. Their denial of Global Warming is a far bigger threat to the planet than Millennials reproducing.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2019 10:06 PM

Straight people, R20. Particularly, straight women. They start to edge towards 40 and they have baby fever. The husbands just go along with it like R10 said.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2019 10:10 PM

I thought millennials didn't like sex

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2019 10:11 PM

I don't know about straights but the gay ones sure do, R23.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2019 10:14 PM

Great. Just what the world needs. Another generation of frauen obsessed about babies and kids.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2019 10:35 PM

On a more shallow note, the daddy at R14 is hot.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2019 10:47 PM

According to that article, about half of American millennial women are moms. I was actually surprised that percentage was so high.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2019 11:08 PM

r27 statistics are usually complete bullshit. I should know I have a degree in actuary science teehee. As a millennial myself around 30ish age, I know very few people who have kids and I do mean VERY few. Some of the people my brothers age (33-36) are just having their first kid, and I don't see them having more than one or two. I could see a bunch of selfish assholes having 5 or 6 kids just so they can put it up on the "Gram" though.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2019 11:19 PM

I'm not surprised. I'm friends with a few on Instagram and they're always posting baby pictures.

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2019 11:28 PM

Well, they are at their peak childbirthing years. I expect that number to go up even more, R27.

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2019 11:49 PM

kids are great. the parents are insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2019 11:59 PM

Ugh. More strollers everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32February 28, 2019 1:05 AM

This is the only breeding I'm interested in, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2019 1:07 AM

Strollers are out, R32. Baby carriers like the one pictured at R14 seem in.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2019 1:36 AM

Babies with man-buns. Toddlers vaping. Swell.

by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2019 1:56 AM

Anecdotally, vast majority of Millennial nieces and nephews are having larger families with 3 someimed 4 kids. Millennial neighbors and coworkers have 1 or 2, sometimes 3. How re they are paying for childcare and insurance and saving for tuition and retirement?

Gen X friends and family and colleagues: only about half have kids. In my little world, it's a big difference.

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2019 2:21 PM

Kids are expensive. I'm surprised they want them, but then again like someone else said, biological clock is a huge impetus for many women. Yes, still.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2019 2:50 PM

I thought we were in a "sex recession"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 28, 2019 2:58 PM

At 37 OP, millennials have been breeding for more than a decade. Actually, many of them have been breeding for 2 decades now.

by Anonymousreply 39February 28, 2019 2:58 PM

R39 only the oldest are around 37. Youngest are still only around 23, so I expect that birthrate to increase even more in the following years.

by Anonymousreply 40February 28, 2019 3:04 PM

My advice? Stick to pets. They're less of a headache.

by Anonymousreply 41February 28, 2019 3:07 PM

R41 Do you say that as a parent, or just an observation?

by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2019 1:16 AM

It's up to the millennials to end the mutilation of baby boys.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2019 6:03 AM

This is so not #YOLO

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2019 8:42 PM

Been happening for awhile OP.

by Anonymousreply 45March 2, 2019 2:21 AM

In Australia, it's the new arrivals that are breeding at a greater rate then the locals (pushing up the averages).

by Anonymousreply 46March 2, 2019 2:50 AM

Will the babies speak with vocal fry?

by Anonymousreply 47March 2, 2019 2:51 AM

Craft breastmilk will become a thing.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2019 3:06 AM

Of course they (we) are breeding now. But its later in life and not enough to increase the overall birthrate alone without immigration. When you have 0 children with another long term partner, you're dropping the birthrate, but you're more likely than not doing that if you have 1 child, and maybe even 2 children. Only at 3+ are you boosting the population, and millennials aren't doing this.

The trappings of straight adult expectations in life (dedicated career, house, cars, pets, 3+ children) are either not happening, or happening later on (30s). For the children case, this means the biological clock be ticking, and everyone's less likely to have as many children as even Gen Boomer/X did. Sure the kids are happening now, but we can track that its still less. Any baby bump happening now or later on the macro scale is due to immigrant populations and a certain age cohort finally having kids, but I wouldn't mistake it for anything like a boom.

I'm a middle-millennial (nearing 30) and my peers range from low 20s to mid-to-high 30s, so basically millennials, and sure I'm seeing more marriages now and babies, but even the baby/marriage focused are often just now (30+) tying any knot and generally not wanting over 1-2 kids. Almost none of my millennial Facebook friends list (for example) has kids, and those that do are friend of my older partner's social circles (low to upper 30s), and only 1-2 kids.

For years we've had D&D/dinner sessions with two married straight couples and one has no kids and it just comes up sometimes but I wonder if they just have no desire for kids but prefer not to vocalize it yet, and the other recently had their second child but I'd be surprised if they have more.

That said, we mostly keep in upper-low class to upper-middle class circles. Maybe there's some giant population boom in the lowest classes, but I doubt it. The stats bear out that native born populations are still having less kids and even immigrant groups end up having less kids too (at a lower declining rate initially).

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2019 5:31 AM

This will end poorly for all involved

by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2019 5:34 AM

The principle cause of "climate change" is overpopulation. No treaty or agreement will change the fact the humans are breeding the Earth out of existence.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote] Maybe there's some giant population boom in the lowest classes,

Good post R49, but this is the X factor you're not personally seeing.

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2019 5:41 AM

Watch them have brats up into their 50s, becoming the worst 'helicopter mommies' ever (and conservative).

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2019 6:04 AM

[quote]native born populations are still having less kids and even immigrant groups end up having less kids

native children are now popping out at the same lower weights as immigrants’ children, dear?

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2019 6:13 AM

So far, millennial dads seem particularly involved, even dragging their spawn to concerts and breweries, R53. I guess only time will tell how much helicoptering ends up being done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2019 6:29 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2019 6:31 AM

It's the 30somethings who are all having kids or discussing it. 20somethings want nothing with that life yet.

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2019 9:03 AM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2019 3:29 PM

I don't know how regular middle-class people can afford to have children these days, because everything is so damn expensive. And then when you factor in student loan and credit card debt!

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]It's the 30somethings who are all having kids or discussing it. 20somethings want nothing with that life yet.

WHITE 20somethings want nothing with that life yet.

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2019 3:41 PM

You call that breeding, try to get on with our level.

by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2019 3:49 PM

No one has hobbies or interests anymore. The IQ of the populace has been significantly, successfully lowered, the only thing we remember how to do is fuck and read the instructions for cooking our Hello Fresh meals. Retards having retards having retards yay capitalism great plan, humans.

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2019 3:51 PM

R59 How can they afford kids?

Student loans, the housing market (renting or buying), divorce rate, personal debt and your partner's debt, sky high health insurance premiums and copays, childcare, additional costs like wifi and mobile phones, all add up to a much more challenging set of circumstances.

Previous generations had parents for childcare, fewer required expenses, lower cost of living, higher wages, and single income families were more common.

Now 2 incomes are frequently mandatory to get by. There were many more union blue collar jobs.

The Millennials I see having kids have family money to rely on as well as nearby grandparents for childcare.

We couldn't afford adoption (and don't have $100k for a surrogate!) and have heard horror stories. Of course biological kids can be horrors too. Plus I honestly dont think I could handle a special needs kid so fostering seems daunting.

Good luck to the parents out there. Bullying, suicide, opioids, and school shootings just add to my anxiety for "kids today".

by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2019 3:54 PM

The spawn of millennials supposedly already have a name.. Generation Alpha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2019 4:00 PM

Are they the fraus freaking out over Momo appearing in that cartoon?

by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2019 7:07 PM

Good! Get these new kids in the workforce ASAP to supplement my Social Security.

by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2019 10:24 PM

I imagine these babies and kids will be extremely coddled.

by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2019 10:48 PM

I read somewhere that Japan's low birthrate is not causing a debt problem for their country because its own central bank buys the debt, and its currency doesn't weaken. Does that sound correct?

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2019 11:32 PM

Mostly yes R65.

by Anonymousreply 69March 3, 2019 5:58 AM

They're sorta silly parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2019 9:35 AM

[quote]Now it seems borderline socially unacceptable to say you have no desire for a child.

Now?! It's been that way forever. Livejournal used to erupt in wank every week over people who decided to never have kids, and as a teen in the 80s and 90s I heard teachers and relatives talk constantly about kids, kids, kids. A female teacher without kids got shit all the time about it. Sitcom characters were all "biological clock" this and "old maid" that.

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2019 9:43 AM

That sentiment that a childless woman is barren still exists, R71.

by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2019 2:07 PM

Really, r72?

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2019 6:07 PM

I don't agree. I think a lot of people that are of age and financially responsible are openly admitting to not wanting kids. It seems common enough.

by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2019 8:46 PM

I like seeing the more-involved dads...that's a good thing. So is the fact that this gen is waiting until their 30s--for whatever reason--to marry/breed (fewer divorces, statistically).

How Millennials will be as parents is the wild card. Cross your fingers, world!

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2019 9:02 PM

I agree that couples waiting to have kids in their 30s, rather than 20s, is a better thing.

by Anonymousreply 76March 4, 2019 2:45 AM

R64 Gen Alpha is already being named to make Boomer and Millennial narcissism look like nothing. Imagine a generation that holds over everyone else how future-tech-literate they are. Oh whoooo you has the special self-driving vehicle license and we haven't gotten with the timesss... woooo.

by Anonymousreply 77March 4, 2019 4:57 AM

R55 Gen Xers are the helicopter parents to counter Boomer workaholics, Millennials are the 'hangers on' parents that want to be 'engaged' and 'present' while not seeming obsessed over it. I imagine if what I say is true, Gen Z parents will conversely try to 'detach' and 'disengage' their children to be able to have their space.

by Anonymousreply 78March 4, 2019 5:00 AM

Generation Alpha has the most badass name of them all.

by Anonymousreply 79March 4, 2019 5:28 AM

All I know is that all of these kids.. Z,Alpha,whatever are going to relish making us (millennials/Xers) feel ancient.

I can hear the jokes now. "OMG, you were born in the 20th century??!"

by Anonymousreply 80March 4, 2019 5:53 AM

Absolutely R80 Like the Jazz Age lot and Bloomsbury and all the rest basically trashtalked the 'Eminent Victorians'!

by Anonymousreply 81March 4, 2019 10:26 AM

R80 yep. I remember being a snotty kid and asking my grandparents things like "Whoa you knew people from the 19th century? What were they like?"

by Anonymousreply 82March 4, 2019 5:28 PM

I don't know what the situation is behind R70, but that definitely looks like a millennial parent situation LOL

by Anonymousreply 83March 4, 2019 7:42 PM

A sign of the apocalypse.

by Anonymousreply 84March 5, 2019 4:03 AM

You just know their millennial parents are going to fawn over and overcoddle them, R77.

by Anonymousreply 85March 5, 2019 7:46 AM

I'd assume millennial parents are going to be using their children mostly as Instagram props.

by Anonymousreply 86March 5, 2019 1:20 PM

Millennial daddies can be hot. The women are set to create the next tsunami of frauhood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 5, 2019 4:44 PM

r86 essentially yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 5, 2019 8:03 PM

I saw a young father on the subway like the one at R14, and it was amazing to me how much the women, young and old, went out of their way to compliment him and help him with the stroller. A solo dad with a baby is like catnip for fraus.

by Anonymousreply 89March 5, 2019 9:49 PM

On one of those "What would you do" type shows they had a young white Millennial couple take a wailing infant to a high end restaurant.

99% of the other diners gave the couple a pass because they are youngish parents that deserve a nice evening out.

The couple that complained were made out to be the assholes. Apparently they did not deserve a nice evening out.

I think if the couple were not white or were in other parts of the world this scenario would have played out differently.

by Anonymousreply 90March 6, 2019 2:15 PM

I see these young couples struggling with their crying brats. It's a little bit funny and so not hashtaggable.

by Anonymousreply 91March 6, 2019 4:24 PM

Millenials take their kids everywhere with them. They're less helicopter parents circling around than stork parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 7, 2019 7:57 AM

The other diners probably remembered what it was like to be a young, struggling couple with a baby, R90.

by Anonymousreply 93March 7, 2019 8:24 AM

You think right, R86.

by Anonymousreply 94March 7, 2019 10:30 AM

R93, no, actually it’s more likely the other diners decided it wasn’t worth speaking up about the wailing kid lest they end up being recorded/photographed and then subjected to the wrath of a bunch of unhinged Momma Bears on social media.

by Anonymousreply 95March 7, 2019 11:13 AM

What Would You Do? is a shitty morality play for the lower classes. Educated people know there's gray areas.

by Anonymousreply 96March 7, 2019 11:35 AM

R95 I agree. This has discussed elsewhere on DL: the cloud of entitlement is quite strong for US parents of a certain socioeconomic status both in the workplace as well as in social situations.

So many European countries are much more chilled out about kids; they parent with strong boundaries and expectations so kids conform to them, not the other way around. Nothing is perfect but this seems healthier for all around.

by Anonymousreply 97March 7, 2019 4:06 PM

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 98March 8, 2019 7:25 AM

Gen Z better come up with a better nickname because millennials have already come up with a good one for their kids.

by Anonymousreply 99March 8, 2019 7:29 AM

I thought they weren't breeding?

by Anonymousreply 100March 8, 2019 7:42 AM

Not news.

by Anonymousreply 101March 8, 2019 7:44 AM

Cute.

by Anonymousreply 102March 8, 2019 8:06 AM

It was bound to happen eventually.

by Anonymousreply 103March 10, 2019 9:10 AM

They're basically all the young parents of 1 to 5 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2019 9:10 PM

R96 "Shitty morality play ", I agree. I really hated that show for a variety of reasons. Like you pointed out there are grey areas. Also, they were conducting a social experiment on unwilling (and unknowing participants ). The most ridiculous ones where when they had some abusive person berating or even shoving their partner (usually female but not always ) and acting as if anyone who didn't get personally involved was negligent. There's no way in hell that I'm placing myself in the middle of a couple arguing.

by Anonymousreply 105March 14, 2019 10:12 PM

[quote] It's the ticking biological clock, for women in their 30s at least.

We'll say!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 3, 2019 6:10 PM

Excellent. We need a healthy mix of newcomers and those born and raised here.

by Anonymousreply 107April 3, 2019 6:12 PM

Incest Survivor Millennials fucked in childhood by their Baby Boomer Daddies and desperate to create an Instagram and Holiday card image to attempt for a feeling of wholeness that will never come.

by Anonymousreply 108April 3, 2019 6:42 PM

[quote] Millennials take their kids everywhere with them.

Not a good idea. I saw parents at loud concerts with toddlers (in noise-cancelling headphones). So ridiculous.

And then there was the case of a couple (grandparents, not Millennials) taking a toddler (under 3) to a baseball game. The kid got hit right in the face by a baseball at 150 mph and now they're fearing vision loss and brain damage (as the trauma was at such a young age).

by Anonymousreply 109April 8, 2019 1:43 PM

For once, millennials' cloying whimsy and juvenile pursuit of never-ending fun actually translates into something useful, as they're actually really good and involved with their infants and small children. Once those kids become teens, though, the true test will begin.

by Anonymousreply 110April 9, 2019 10:29 AM

Taking kids everywhere is not a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 111April 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Datalounge is always ahead of the curve.

Simultaneous pregnancies and births are going to become a thing in the next few years. Await the next baby boom as millennial frauen compete against one another in the fertility race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 9, 2019 11:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!