Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Luca Guadagnino Is Working on a New Series for HBO

[quote]Sources tell Observer that Guadagnino is in talks with the network on a new one-hour, eight-episode show tentatively titled [italic]We Are Who We Are[/italic]. The 47-year-old filmmaker is directing the first two episodes as well as the season finale, and is writing the project with Paolo Giordano and Francesca Manieri. Lorenzo Meili and Riccardo Neri will executive produce.

[quote]The series is expected to start filming in late May with production set to run through October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2019 8:27 AM

The AV Club provides a tighter synopsis:

[quote]The show is said to follow a 14-year-old New Yorker named Fraser who moves to an army base in Italy to live with his colonel mother and her wife. There he hangs with a bunch of other army kids and Italian locals, strikes up a close friendship with a teenage girl named Caitlin, struggles with understanding his sexuality, develops a romance with an older male soldier, and probably a handful of other things that will be beautifully shot and set to a dreamy score that will make you weep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 26, 2019 5:39 PM

Starring another young actor who lacks both muscle tone and pubic hair.

by Anonymousreply 2February 26, 2019 5:45 PM

So it's CMBYN meets For a lost soldier ?

by Anonymousreply 3February 26, 2019 5:51 PM

[quote]develops a romance with an older male soldier

r2 It'll be even worse optics here because the character is 14. I don't understand why he has to needlessly torpedo his show like that from the start. Just age the character up to 18 and no one will feel icky and complain about it. What's up with his age gap obsession, anyway?

I hope the HBO execs at least make him see sense and force him to change his mind on this issue, if all those CMBYN execs couldn't. This is one controversy that can be easily avoided if only someone would speak up during the meeting.

by Anonymousreply 4February 26, 2019 6:02 PM

Sick racist Dago pedo.

by Anonymousreply 5February 26, 2019 6:28 PM

Like a game of telephone that link above is different from what the original source of this news says, which is that "Fraser is actually missing his friend from home, Mark, while also developing an innocent romantic connection with an older soldier named Jason."

"An innocent romantic connection" is not quite pedophilia, but good work already frothing at the mouths, boys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 26, 2019 7:05 PM

Will Timmy be playing “older soldier Jason?”

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2019 7:22 PM

r6 What [italic]are[/italic] you on about? No one apart from r5 said anything about pedophilia. Though it's unfortunate that the phrase "innocent romantic connection" between a 14-year-old and an older soldier (definitely 18+ as you can't join the army younger) doesn't make you feel queasy. Perhaps it should? The "innocent" part just means there won't be any fucking, by the way.

Unless that phrase refers to a completely one-sided infatuation on the part of the boy, this isn't healthy, no matter how you want to spin it. And no one is "frothing at the mouth"; we just don't want to go through the same controversy again as with CMBYN where the movie was used outside of the US as proof of why SSM shouldn't be legalized. Though I'm sure that doesn't faze you, either.

I will of course watch this regardless because the lesbian angle intrigues me as hell. Crossing my fingers the concept evolves further and he focuses mainly on that couple, while discarding the misjudged (and illegal) underage "romance" completely.

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2019 7:53 PM

[quote]develops a romance with an older male soldier,

Uh ??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2019 8:09 PM

R7, that could be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2019 8:16 PM

Maybe the soldier is an Italian soldier and not an American soldier. Don't many European countries recruit younger?

by Anonymousreply 11February 26, 2019 8:43 PM

Will Miss Swinton be making an appearance?

by Anonymousreply 12February 26, 2019 11:58 PM

This director sure likes the subject of young boys discovering their sexuality with older men. Too bad the older man can’t be as old as the film’s director as originally envisioned/fantasized. I suppose that would be unseemly, especially when the young actor looks 13.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2019 12:04 AM

R9 LOL, love you

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2019 12:21 AM

You can call it innocent r6, but having another work from Luca about a underaged character having a sexual awakening around an older guy is unfortunate. Whether it is fair or not, people are going talk. It is going to be pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2019 12:48 AM

The women should be kicked out of the Datalounge. Timmy should play Jason.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote] discarding the misjudged (and illegal) underage "romance" completely

Sigh...how many times do you have to tell a thick American that the age of consent in Italy is 14 till he gets it?

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2019 1:22 PM

Italy also bans gay marriage and allied with Hitler. And they got that glorified pedo cult euphemistically called the Catholic Church right next door. They are the last ones to be consulted on any kind of morality.

This is why I now believe HBO is racist for their [italic]Leaving Neverland[/italic] hatchet job by two admitted honky liars, especially after hiring this greaseball pedophile anti-Semite.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2019 1:44 PM

Only pedos use the “but it’s the age of consent there” excuse.

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2019 1:45 PM

R17 is not just a pedo defender but an anti-American xenophobe. Why do wops hate gays but love pedos?

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2019 1:46 PM

It’s not xenophobia to attack a race that allied with Hitler. It’s xenophobia not to. Not hating wops makes you racist against black people.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2019 1:46 PM

Wops hate Jews. Wops hate women. Wops molest children.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2019 1:47 PM

And the reason they’re called wops is because violence is their first and last answer to everything.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2019 1:47 PM

CMBYN was not just pro-pedo but anti-Jewish as well. A country with low age of consent and no gay marriage as well as a long and sordid history of fascism, Organized crime, and toxic masculinity is in no position to lecture anyone on what constitutes old enough.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2019 1:49 PM

You're right, r19 - no movie, no matter where it's set or where its director is from, should ever depict behaviour that is illegal in the US.

by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2019 3:11 PM

Movies should only depict my exact morality!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise IT IS SINNNNNN, HISSSSS

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2019 3:15 PM

i fell asleep just reading the synopsis. This hack seems incapable of not making tragic snnozefests. God, i hate him.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2019 3:17 PM

This Series is intended for an American audience, you'll be hard pressed to find an American that feels comfortable with the depiction of a 14 year old having a romance with an adult man.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2019 4:54 PM

I can already tell this series will be a few episodes too long and have lots of boring shots of nature and lingering looks without dialogue. Boring. His remake of Suspiria committed the number one cardinal sin of movies - it was boring as fuck. I swear, he needs an editor in the scripting stage who can tell him "Luca, you don't need this character at all and this subplot can easily go in the trash."

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2019 5:38 PM

How come I figured out most of the plot just by reading the thread title?

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2019 5:41 PM

R29, Suspiria was a snoozefest, true, but Guadagnino didn't write the script.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2019 5:58 PM

He's just another old jailbait loving perv like Larry Clark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2019 6:13 PM

Cmbyn ant Jews? It was written by a Jew. A stereotypical gay one with mommy issues that then married a woman while making a career out of writing about Gay sex

by Anonymousreply 33February 27, 2019 6:52 PM

Don't bother engaging with that particular troll, r33, he's mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 34February 27, 2019 6:56 PM

Oh la la la la la, how did Luca's threads turned this heavy?

by Anonymousreply 35February 27, 2019 8:28 PM

People need to learn to not engage with Matt.

by Anonymousreply 36February 27, 2019 8:30 PM

Which one is "Matt"?

by Anonymousreply 37February 27, 2019 8:45 PM

Anyone who doesn't agree with R36.

by Anonymousreply 38February 27, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote]having another work from Luca about a underaged character having a sexual awakening around an older guy is unfortunate.

Nothing unfortunate about it at all. As has been pointed out, the age of consent in Italy is 14. The US and it's mores do not set the world standard.

How funny to hear Americans point out Italy and it's alliance with Hitler. LOL. The US...with it's legacy of slavery, the annihilation of Native Americans, and it's wars around the world.

by Anonymousreply 39February 27, 2019 9:18 PM

[QUOTE]Nothing unfortunate about it at all. As has been pointed out, the age of consent in Italy is 14. The US and it's mores do not set the world standard.

Then Luca should start making his movies and TV shows for Italian audiences if they like fucking boys so much.

by Anonymousreply 40February 27, 2019 9:25 PM

r40 types Such A Woman.

by Anonymousreply 41February 27, 2019 9:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 27, 2019 9:35 PM

r42 = cutest dicksucker in the world

by Anonymousreply 43February 27, 2019 9:39 PM

Not interested in watching a show about 14-year-olds having romantic attachments and I’ll be surprised if it ever gets made in the current social climate.

by Anonymousreply 44February 27, 2019 9:44 PM

r44 Then don't fucking watch it, Frausalina Frauington.

by Anonymousreply 45February 27, 2019 9:46 PM

[QUOTE]Not interested in watching a show about 14-year-olds having romantic attachments and I’ll be surprised if it ever gets made in the current social climate.

Oh, it’ll get made alright. They’ll pull a CMBYN: say the soldier guy is “18” even though the actor playing him looks 10 years older, that way it’ll slip under the radar of American moral outrage. “But the script says they’re only four years apart!”

by Anonymousreply 46February 27, 2019 10:14 PM

I'm about the cancel HBO and showtime, the programs on there suck so bad. I'm only watching GOT and Homeland and Ray Donovan. Rest of the programs are shit. Used to be much better.

by Anonymousreply 47February 27, 2019 10:20 PM

R13 You mean like "For a lost soldier"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2019 10:21 PM

[bold]Chloe Sevigny, Alice Braga, Kid Cudi to Star in HBO Drama From 'Call Me By Your Name' Director[/bold]

[quote]The cast also includes Jack Dylan Grazer (It and its upcoming sequel), singer Jordan Kristine Seamon, Faith Alabi (The Pope), Spence Moore II (All American, Five Points), Francesca Scorsese (the daughter of Martin Scorsese who is making her screen debut with the role), newcomer Ben Taylor, Corey Knight (Godfather of Harlem), Tom Mercier (Synonyms) and newcomer Sebastiano Pigazzi.

[quote]The eight-episode limited series, which will explore themes similar to Call Me By Your Name, centers on friendship, first love and all the unknowns of being a teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2019 8:50 PM

I'm sure Luca Guadagnino will self-censor his series just to protect us from any carnal temptation his work might incur. MEH!

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2019 12:13 PM

I wish we had more stories about adult gays. I don't want to watch young people's sexual exploration.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2019 12:28 PM

I thought Jack Grazer is an alleged homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2019 12:32 PM

His issues were more with gender-bending than homosexuality per se, r52. But those messages were released by a hyper-vindictive ex, so they may have been manipulated anyway. And even if they weren't, his views seem to have evolved, as he's now wearing nail polish all the time.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2019 2:09 PM

Call Me by Your Name could have touched more upon AIDS or terrorism in Italy in that era, but didn't. It's like those people were living in a peaceful bubble which wasn't Italy. The movie was so overrated.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2019 2:22 PM

I wonder if this role will turn Grazer from wigger fuckboy into androgynous softboy, as CMBYN did with Chalamet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2019 6:04 PM

I am sure an Italian military base will be perfect to feature androgynous boys who pull off military gear, kinky boots and feather boa. I sure bet these soldiers know how to have a good time by having Vogue parties.

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2019 6:21 PM

So is Luca doing all straight guys in the cast again?

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2019 6:29 PM

So is Luca doing all straight guys in the cast again?

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2019 6:29 PM

What exactly is an "innocent romantic connection" between a 14 year old boy and a grown man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 6:33 PM

"Innocent" means no butt stuff, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Oh goodie, another project were only black and whites exist in America. I am surprised HBO dared to cast Alice Braga as clearly the token Latina.

According to Hollywood Latinos or Asian were rare prior to the 00s, let alone serve in the military or be part of American History.

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2019 6:58 PM

r57 Gay directors not helping out gay actors, yet again.

r59 It's probably just an unfortunate wording for "one-sided infatuation" on the part of the boy. I'm sure HBO would intervene if it was anything other than that.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2019 7:00 PM

So I am assuming Sebastiano Pedersoli is the object of affection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2019 7:15 PM

Lol - they deliberately made sure to include the word "innocent" in the plot description to pre-emptively placate American church ladies (of all genders and political persuasions), but of course American church ladies can never be placated when they're in "Somebody please think of the children!" mode. They'll happily watch shows about sympathetic mass murderers, but to suggest even a platonic relationship between an adolescent and a young adult will have them calling for an "intervention".

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2019 7:18 PM

r63 He's pretty dreamy. I wonder if he'll speak English on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2019 7:19 PM

r64 should maybe brush up on the age of consent.

[quote]but to suggest even a platonic relationship

So why not say "platonic relationship", then? Or just "friendship"? Sorry, but "romantic connection" means one thing and one thing only.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2019 7:21 PM

So another pedo fuck fest?

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2019 7:22 PM

[quote] r64 should maybe brush up on the age of consent.

You mean the age of consent which is 14 where this show is set? That age of consent?

[quote] Sorry, but "romantic connection" means one thing and one thing only.

It means there's an attraction, but "innocent" means it's unconsummated - if that's too scandalous for you to handle, maybe Lifetime is a more appropriate choice for you.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2019 7:26 PM

R68 Pedo apologist

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2019 7:30 PM

[quote]You mean the age of consent which is 14 where this show is set? That age of consent?

The vast majority of the audience who will be consuming this show are Americans, who are not interested in Italian legislation. So your argument holds exactly zero water.

[quote]It means there's an attraction, but "innocent" means it's unconsummated - if that's too scandalous for you to handle, maybe Lifetime is a more appropriate choice for you.

I'm super into fisting but yes, I'm uncomfortable with underage kids being portrayed in this way. Maybe jail would be more appropriate choice for you?

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2019 7:32 PM

r69 They always, [italic]always[/italic] come out of the woodwork in force when something like this comes up. And they always rely on technicalities and preemptively label people as prudes. Beyond shameless and they give the rest of us a bad name.

But there's no changing their perverted inclinations so it's best to just block them and not engage them further.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2019 7:37 PM

Yes, r70, all films and TV shows, no matter in what country they're set or what country their directors and writers are from, should make sure that their characters don't break any American laws even in their thoughts. This seems like a sensible demand.

(Or, if you're "not interested" in Italian society, maybe don't watch any shows made by Italians and set in Italy?)

by Anonymousreply 72July 21, 2019 7:39 PM

...to make one film about fucking children seems bizarre. To continue with the the theme shows a deep personal interest in the sexuality of children

by Anonymousreply 73July 21, 2019 7:41 PM

[quote] And they always rely on technicalities

r66 is the one who brought up age of consent, idiot. (It's not my fault if he's too provincial to realize that American laws don't apply throughout the world.)

by Anonymousreply 74July 21, 2019 7:44 PM

R73 The same posters who attack Woody Allen for "obviously writing about his own perversions" in his movies and calling for his banishment from Hollywood always turn around and hilariously defend Luca for doing the exact same thing. How many NAMBLA movies do he have to churn out before these fuckers admit the blatantly obvious?

I expect R74 watches a lot of shows about Muslims because I hear their age of consent is low enough for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 21, 2019 7:48 PM

[quote] I expect [R74] watches a lot of shows about Muslims because I hear their age of consent is low enough for him.

Lol, you rube - the only country in the whole of Europe which has age of consent laws as high as the US is...Turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 21, 2019 7:51 PM

So it's CMBYN without the sex?

by Anonymousreply 77July 21, 2019 7:54 PM

R75 Exactly, what is the Maya Angelou quote, you know, if someone shows you who they are, believe them....something like that

by Anonymousreply 78July 21, 2019 7:54 PM

R76 The fact you're so well versed in the age of consent laws all over the world doesn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 79July 21, 2019 8:03 PM

Your inability to look up the shit you're pontificating about on Wikipedia truly marks you out as a man of superior virtue, r79.

by Anonymousreply 80July 21, 2019 8:05 PM

R80 "The law says I can fuck a 14 year old, so I shall."

by Anonymousreply 81July 21, 2019 8:08 PM

There's nothing illegal about a 14 and an 18 year old hooking up in Italy. Besides, I don't think this will be sexual, more about those crazy feelings we have as teen gays/lezzers.

by Anonymousreply 82July 21, 2019 8:10 PM

R75, Elio was 17. In much of the US it is legal to have sex at 17.

by Anonymousreply 83July 21, 2019 8:11 PM

r81

Again, the one who introduced the law into the discussion, because he erroneously thought it demonstrated that a fictional relationship which won't even feature any sex is beyond the pale, was r66. It's not my fault when your dumb-as-shit arguments backfire on you.

by Anonymousreply 84July 21, 2019 8:12 PM

Luca was foolish to do this same theme. Did he not realize it was going to cause people to talk.

by Anonymousreply 85July 21, 2019 8:13 PM

It's not about being a prude, I wouldn't have wanted to see any of my nephews in a relationship at 14 years old with a man or woman who was more than a couple of years older or than them.

In fact if that had happened I would have been cited for extreme violence against that older individual. You no toucha my familia, I breaka you face.

by Anonymousreply 86July 21, 2019 8:26 PM

Luca's favorite song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 21, 2019 8:50 PM

Do Americans know who Bud Spencer was? He's the guy whose portrait Sebastiano Pigazzi is standing next to in r63 - Pigazzo is his grandson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 21, 2019 9:27 PM

*Pigazzi

by Anonymousreply 89July 21, 2019 9:28 PM

R88 Jesus he is still alive. Terence was so lean and hot

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2019 4:49 AM

r90

Who, Spencer? No, he died 3 years ago. Terence Hill turned 80 this year.

Are you American or European, btw?

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2019 10:09 AM

R91 Neither, New Zealander. The trinity films were huge here in the 70s. saturday matinees of their films were fantastic events

by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2019 6:58 PM

[quote] I wonder if this role will turn Grazer from wigger fuckboy into androgynous softboy, as CMBYN did with Chalamet

Guess not...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 22, 2019 1:12 AM

Apparently Chloe Sevigny and Alice Braga are playing a couple in this?

by Anonymousreply 94August 25, 2019 8:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!