Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Green Book is the Worst Best Picture winner since Crash

“Green Book” is the worst best picture Oscar winner since “Crash,” and I don’t make the comparison lightly.

Like that 2005 movie, Peter Farrelly’s interracial buddy dramedy is insultingly glib and hucksterish, a self-satisfied crock masquerading as an olive branch. It reduces the long, barbaric and ongoing history of American racism to a problem, a formula, a dramatic equation that can be balanced and solved. “Green Book” is an embarrassment; the film industry’s unquestioning embrace of it is another.

The differences between the two movies are as telling as the similarities. “Crash,” a modern-day screamfest that racked up cross-cultural tensions by the minute, meant to leave you angry and wrung-out. Its Oscar triumph was a genuine shocker; it clearly had its fans, but for many its inferiority was self-evident.

“Green Book,” a slick crowd-pleaser set in the Deep South in 1962, strains to put you in a good mood. Its victory is appalling but far from shocking: From the moment it won the People’s Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival last September, the first of several key precursors it would pick up en route to Sunday’s Oscars ceremony, the movie was clearly a much more palatable brand of godawful.

In telling the story of the brilliant, erudite jazz pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali), who is chauffeured on his Southern concert tour by a rough-edged Italian-American bouncer named Tony “Lip” Vallelonga (Viggo Mortensen), “Green Book” serves up bald-faced clichés and stereotypes with a drollery that almost qualifies as disarming.

Mortensen and Ali, who won the Oscar for best supporting actor, are superb performers with smooth timing and undeniable chemistry. The movie wades into the muck and mire of white supremacy, cracks a few wince-worthy jokes, gasps in horror at a black man’s abuse and humiliation (all while maintaining a safe, tasteful distance from it), then digs up a nugget of uplift to send you home with, a little token of virtue to go with that smile on your face.

I can tell I’ve already annoyed some of you, though if you take more offense at what I’ve written than you do at “Green Book,” there may not be much more to say. Differences in taste are nothing new, but there is something about the anger and defensiveness provoked by this particular picture that makes reasonable disagreement unusually difficult. Maybe “Green Book” really is the movie of the year after all — not the best movie, but the one that best captures the polarization that arises whenever the conversation shifts toward matters of race, privilege and the all-important question of who gets to tell whose story.

I’ll concede this much to “Green Book’s” admirers: They understandably love this movie’s sturdy craft, its feel-good storytelling and its charmingly synched lead performances. They appreciate its ostensibly hard-hitting portrait of the segregated South (as noted by U.S. Rep. John R. Lewis, who presented a montage to the film on Oscar night) and find its plea for mutual understanding both laudable and heartwarming. I know I speak for some of the movie’s detractors when I say I find that plea both dishonest and dispiritingly retrograde, a shopworn ideal of racial reconciliation propped up by a story that unfolds almost entirely from a white protagonist’s incurious perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124February 26, 2019 11:11 PM

(continued)

“Green Book” has been most often compared not to “Crash” but to an older, more genteel best picture winner, 1989’s “Driving Miss Daisy,” another movie that attempted to bridge the racial divide through the story of a driver and his employer in the American South. “Driving Miss Daisy” was adapted from Alfred Uhry’s play; “Green Book” was co-written by Nick Vallelonga (with Brian Currie and Farrelly), drawn from the stories he heard from his father, Tony. The truth of those stories has been called into question by many, including Shirley’s family, which wasn’t consulted during production and which dismissed the movie as “a symphony of lies.”

Historical accuracy is, of course, just one criterion by which to judge a narrative drawn from real events, and a movie could theoretically play fast and loose with the facts and still arrive at a place of compelling emotional truth. Distortions and omissions can be interesting in what they reveal about a filmmaker’s intentions, and “Green Book,” whether you like it or not, does not have a particularly high regard for your intelligence. In its one-sided presentation and its presumptuous filtering of Shirley’s perspective through Vallelonga’s, the movie reeks of bad faith and cluelessly embodies the white-supremacist attitudes it’s ostensibly decrying.

That cluelessness has been well-documented. Earlier this season, Vanity Fair critic K. Austin Collins pointed out the gall of a white filmmaker blithely psychoanalyzing a black man’s alienation from his own blackness (especially when it takes the form of jokes about Aretha Franklin and fried chicken). Vulture’s Mark Harris aptly described “Green Book” as “a but also movie, a both sides movie” that draws a false equivalency between Vallelonga’s vulgar bigotry and Shirley’s emotional aloofness, forcing both characters — not just the racist white dude — to learn something about themselves and each other.

It’s a tactic, Harris noted, whose echoes can even be found in a terrific older movie (and best picture winner) like “In the Heat of the Night,” and it exists mainly to reassure any audience that might be uncomfortable with a black man gaining the moral high ground.

You would hope that in 2019 — even in a 1962-set movie — such strategic pandering would be a thing of the past. But in “Green Book,” we should be especially nauseated by how crudely the deck is stacked against Don Shirley from the get-go. A more honest, complex and tough-minded movie might have run the risk of actually becoming Shirley’s story, of letting the much more interesting of these two characters slip into the metaphorical driver’s seat. (The fact that Ali was pushed as a supporting actor to Mortensen’s lead campaign is telling in all the wrong ways.) But there isn’t a single scene that feels authentically like the character’s own, that speaks to Shirley’s experience and no one else’s.

His intelligence and elegant diction is continually Otherized. (Vallelonga’s intellectual inferiority is mocked as well, but the picture’s sympathies couldn’t be more clearly on his side.) The movie makes little attempt to parse or appreciate his musical gifts critically; Shirley’s artistic brilliance, much like his alcoholism or his homosexuality, is deemed interesting only insofar as it changes Vallelonga’s opinion of him.

It’s telling that what should be Shirley’s most emotionally lacerating scene — he’s busted for having sex with another man in a YMCA shower — instead becomes the movie’s most reprehensible. If you want to know what a profound lack of empathy looks like, take another look at that shot of Vallelonga sweet-talking the cops while, in the background, a naked black man sits handcuffed in the shower, terrified and humiliated.

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2019 4:58 AM

(continued)

It’s strangely troubling that Ali — who won his first supporting actor Oscar for 2016’s “Moonlight,” an achingly beautiful portrait of gay black masculinity — has now won another award for playing a gay black man in a movie that has so little respect for his identity. There’s an even ghastlier irony in the fact that the academy that broke new ground by giving its highest honor to “Moonlight” two years ago has now seen fit to bestow the same prize on a movie that is “Moonlight’s” complete aesthetic, emotional and moral antithesis.

It’s one thing to like “Green Book,” but it takes a highly specific set of blinders to declare it the year’s finest cinematic achievement in the wake of this year’s many better alternatives, Spike Lee’s tough, provocative “BlacKkKlansman” not least among them. The fact that the academy embraced “Driving Miss Daisy” in the same year it overlooked Lee’s great, incendiary “Do the Right Thing” gives Sunday’s Oscars broadcast the sickening sense of history repeating itself: “BlacKkKlansman” at least received nominations for picture and director, but in the end it too lost out to a (much worse) two-hander peddling can’t-we-all-just-get-along bromides.

And that’s to say nothing of best picture nominees like “Black Panther,” the rare Hollywood blockbuster that examines the nuances of African and African American identity without undue concern for a white audience’s entry points, or the innumerable terrific, tough-minded movies about racial justice, like “If Beale Street Could Talk,” “Sorry to Bother You,” “Support the Girls” and “Widows,” which voters couldn’t be bothered to nominate for best picture, assuming they saw them in the first place. (The year’s best interracial buddy movie, by the way, wasn’t “Green Book”; it was every exchange between Viola Davis and Elizabeth Debicki in “Widows.”)

Over the next few days and weeks there will undoubtedly be a lot of theorizing about what happened. Some will zero in on the failure of an academy whose taste clearly isn’t quite as evolved as its rapidly diversifying and internationalizing membership would suggest. Still others will be tempted to identify a stubborn strain of Trumpian anti-intellectualism among “Green Book” lovers who dug in their heels in defense of a much-maligned favorite.

They may have a point. I remain optimistic that, as with “Crash’s” ill-remembered victory, the coronation of “Green Book” will turn out to be not a re-entrenchment but a calamitous fluke — the academy’s last concession (for now) to that portion of the white moviegoing audience that still believes stories of justice and progress will always have to be negotiated on their terms. As Shirley tells Vallelonga early on in “Green Book”: “You can do better.” His rebuke might just as well extend to the movie he’s in and to a voting body foolish enough to honor it.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2019 4:59 AM

Dress like the award you want to win, they said

OK said Glenn

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2019 5:01 AM

Films about America's Jim Crow past are all the rage !!

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2019 5:05 AM

The Green Book is a great picture, it deserved to win.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2019 5:05 AM

Here's the thing: The average DLer who says it's the worst and whine about "pc" never saw it and isn't coming from the same place as this author. In fact, this type of movie is made specifically for them and they don't even know it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2019 5:08 AM

No, that would be The Artist.....which even the author of the article has forgotten about.

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2019 5:08 AM

Oh, fuck off, OP.

It’s a great movie with themes of black and LGBT dignity that’s perfectly deserving.

That doesn’t mean ROMA is bad, it just means that ROMA was a shoo-in for Best Foreign Language and the Academy wanted to spread the wealth. Good for them — I would have done the same.

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2019 5:13 AM

At least The Artist tried something different and succeeded. Green Book is a thoroughly safe, sanitized piece of filmmaking designed entirely for the purpose of winning Oscars. I would've much preferred seeing the bland blockbuster Black Panther win -- at least it captured the zeitgeist of the era.

Black Panther, A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody will still be popular classics years from now; Blackkklansman, The Favourite and Roma will be artistic classic decades from now. Green Book will be remembered only by movie buffs strolling through Best Picture entries on Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2019 5:18 AM

[quote] There’s an even ghastlier irony in the fact that the academy that broke new ground by giving its highest honor to “Moonlight” two years ago has now seen fit to bestow the same prize on a movie that is “Moonlight’s” complete aesthetic, emotional and moral antithesis.

Sounds perfectly GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 10February 25, 2019 5:19 AM

What a boring screed. But it could be worse... you could be Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 11February 25, 2019 5:24 AM

The Los Angeles Times is not holding any punches. Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 12February 25, 2019 5:25 AM

Mary Poppins deserved to win. What "difficult" film has ever won. And don't say Schindler's List or the goofy Midnight Cowboy. My bf and I laughed our way through that. Really 1969 people? I cringed at GreenBook too, but it's mostly good, self consciously campy and almost as important as The Help. If y'all and all y'all are not aware of the race restrictions in most parts of the south in mid century america, then go on down to Blockbuster and rent yourself these too eye opening films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 25, 2019 5:25 AM

R12 Yawn...the "journalist" already had his clickbait written even before the winner was announced

by Anonymousreply 14February 25, 2019 5:28 AM

Interestingly, both movies are about everyone being racist.

by Anonymousreply 15February 25, 2019 5:29 AM

Mahershala is too good for that feel good piece of mediocrity. Glad he won but what he did on, say, True Detective this season is light years ahead of this cinematic equivalent of "Ebony and Ivory."

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2019 5:29 AM

Let me tell you all about my "Green Book" MOMENT!

I wanted to go shopping at Hermes again after hours...

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2019 5:34 AM

I haven't seen the movie, and I know it is based on a true story, even though much of it gets the story wrong, but I never really understood why a black man would need or want a white chauffeur, to drive him around the South at that time. There, were a few black elites in the South at that time, with black chauffeurs, and also black performers who traveled the South with black chauffeurs. People might have raised an eyebrow, but they probably wouldn't have been as big a deal, as a white man chauffeuring a black man, at that time. Yes, they might not like a black man being rich or important enough to have a chauffeur, but it wouldn't have really upset the notion of segregation. It would, just, appear that sending a white man to chauffeur a black man would guarantee confrontations with racists.

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2019 5:40 AM

Vigo has a small dick✊🏿

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2019 5:42 AM

I'm glad the author isn't credited.

He seems a bit hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2019 5:44 AM

R9, no one will remember Roma in two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2019 5:55 AM

None the less Mahershala Ali is the shit....i fell in love with him in house of cards.....

+ is birthday is Feb 16th, same as mine!

+ he is a local boy, from Oakland CA.

+ he won for Moonlight last year. so happy he won.

+he is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2019 5:59 AM

Justin Chang is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 23February 25, 2019 6:16 AM

R16 rolling at the ‘ebony and ivory’ reference.

by Anonymousreply 24February 25, 2019 6:17 AM

Does the Academy do Ranked Choice Voting for Best Picture? Because I'm wondering if the votes were split among Black Panther and The Favourite.

by Anonymousreply 25February 25, 2019 7:00 AM

I haven't seen it, but bio pics written without the consent or input of the subjects are hardly new in Hollywood and many of them have also won awards. Would Freddy Mercury have approved of Bohemian Rhapsody? I'm not sure..... The complexity of a gay man's relationship with his parents was glossed over in that film, just as the authentic black experience of a highly-educated black artist's interactions with a blue-collar white man was altered (apparently) in this film. Does that make them terrible films? I'm not sure. Films, to keep our interest, have to set up conflicts and resolutions, to try to make sense of an arc of a life, a life which might not be that dramatically organized, as few of ours are.

The best thing about it is that it's making people curious about Don Shirley, someone the wider world has lost sight of in the past 3 decades or so, even though he died just 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 26February 25, 2019 8:19 AM

...And the world STILL turns.

by Anonymousreply 27February 25, 2019 8:52 AM

So Green Book is seen, in the community, as a “white savior” movie. Also one of the writers the guy who dedicated the award to Carrie Fisher, is a Trumpster and hated Muslims. He was apparently booed when he gave his acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 28February 25, 2019 9:07 AM

no r28 it is the screenwriter who is the guy who tweeted about muslims in NJ celebrating 9/11

by Anonymousreply 29February 25, 2019 9:09 AM

R29 is that not the guy who dedicated the award to Carrie Fisher?

by Anonymousreply 30February 25, 2019 9:11 AM

R28 here. I should’ve put quotes around “hates Muslims” because I couldn’t find specifics on why people were posting that.

by Anonymousreply 31February 25, 2019 9:12 AM

no r30 it is this guy. (don't know who the Carrie Fisher guy is)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 25, 2019 9:16 AM

disregard r32.

This is the guy who tweeted.

The first guy to speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 25, 2019 9:18 AM

ugh I was right the first time. it is the third guy to talk.

by Anonymousreply 34February 25, 2019 9:19 AM

The Oscars ceased to be relevant when they stopped being about talent and started being about pay-back.

As far as movies being remembered, few American movies made since 2000 are watchable, let alone memorable.

by Anonymousreply 35February 25, 2019 9:20 AM

People are pissed GB won. They think Blackkklansman or Black Panther should’ve won BP.

by Anonymousreply 36February 25, 2019 9:23 AM

It's a great movie that tries to tell the truth.

by Anonymousreply 37February 25, 2019 9:36 AM

You are ridiculous and absurd r35. Apparently you have very bad taste and a serious case of jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 38February 25, 2019 9:38 AM

The OTT reaction to Green Book winning is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 39February 25, 2019 9:46 AM

R18, I beg you, please control your commas. Your replies are nearly unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 40February 25, 2019 9:52 AM

R39 Black people are reacting negatively.

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2019 9:53 AM

R22 Sam Rockwell won Best Supporting last year you ditzy cunt - Ali won two years ago (and was underwhelmed with that win cuz he's only in the first third). Too bad Faye Dunaway didn't announce the winner - then the correct name Richard E. Grant could have been yelled out.

by Anonymousreply 42February 25, 2019 9:54 AM

I wonder what the author of the LA Times article thought of Mommie Dearest being told only through the eyes of Christina?

Wonder if that fried his rice like the bias of Green Book did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 25, 2019 9:58 AM

Green Book is shit. FIRST MAN was robbed. If Ryan Gosling had not said "humankind" in interviews and had just given the USA a (historically accurate) shoutout, the film would not have been so ignored.....but blame really belongs to Damien Chazelle for deleting the flag scene.

by Anonymousreply 44February 25, 2019 10:21 AM

First Man was DOA. Ryan Gosling was pretty lifeless in the lead.

by Anonymousreply 45February 25, 2019 10:23 AM

Funny send up of the White Savior notion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 25, 2019 10:34 AM

I didn't see any of the movies that won anything except Black Panther. So I'm not sure what this person is writing about.

by Anonymousreply 47February 25, 2019 10:46 AM

R38 You have a serious case of inability to cope with opinions that don't confirm your own. But then, you're American. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 48February 25, 2019 10:47 AM

green book was fantastic. BP was better or BR??? . LOL

by Anonymousreply 49February 25, 2019 10:52 AM

R42, I’m curious to know what your definition of supporting is if you think a performance that appears in only a third of a film shouldn’t win.

by Anonymousreply 50February 25, 2019 12:28 PM

R13, no it didn’t. Not in 1964, not in 2018, not ever.

by Anonymousreply 51February 25, 2019 2:11 PM

Green Book thinks you are articulate.

Green Book adds raisens to your potato salad.

Green Book just wishes politics were left out of football.

Green Book would have voted for Obama for a third term.

by Anonymousreply 52February 25, 2019 2:41 PM

Green Book is kind

Green Book is smart

Green Book is important

by Anonymousreply 53February 25, 2019 2:49 PM

Even the reddit bros hate Green Book, going through their thread on it winning was pretty amusing.

by Anonymousreply 54February 25, 2019 2:50 PM

r54 Which subreddit are you talking about? There are many...

by Anonymousreply 55February 25, 2019 2:52 PM

I loved “Green Book.” It was enjoyable and entertaining. Who cares if it won or not? People will forget in a year anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 56February 25, 2019 3:06 PM

I loved the responses to this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 25, 2019 3:37 PM

I won!! I WON, GUYS!!

by Anonymousreply 58February 25, 2019 3:38 PM

It's like that football movie with Sandra. Makes the plurality of Americans feel good. Lots of old people voting in the Academy, too.

by Anonymousreply 59February 25, 2019 3:39 PM

As usual, time will show what films and performances will really live on and have a lasting impact.

by Anonymousreply 60February 25, 2019 3:42 PM

Julia Roberts didnt mind that GB won. she was all happy

by Anonymousreply 61February 25, 2019 4:52 PM

Well, r61, she was presenting the award to other people in the industry. What, you expected her to do a Charlie Rich and pull out a lighter and burn the envelope?

by Anonymousreply 62February 25, 2019 5:01 PM

R62 Samuel jackson presented best oryginal screenplay and he was not glad at all....Julia was so happt. Get over it. It was obvious

by Anonymousreply 63February 25, 2019 5:04 PM

The Academy Awards have always been about PR. They were invented to counter unflattering exposes about drugs and sex scandals coming out of Hollywood (notably the Fatty Arbuckle rape-murder trial.) The idea is to present the image of the American film industry is a place where artistic excellence and good moral values are promoted. The Nobel Prize is basically the same thing since it was created to rehabilitate the image of a man who made his fortune from inventing dynamite, which was the first modern weapon of mass destruction. Again it's not about awarding the best, it's about awarding what the prize committee wants its brand associated with.

by Anonymousreply 64February 25, 2019 5:11 PM

There will be worst films winning in following years, that's what you get when you put all your effort making 100 M superhero films.

This years was one of the weakest in terms of quality. You can find great performances every year, but great films are more and more difficult to find

by Anonymousreply 65February 25, 2019 5:16 PM

The fact that BlackKlansman was up for best picture is actually the most ridiculous of all.

by Anonymousreply 66February 25, 2019 5:30 PM

Are American infants still angry that Damien Chazelle didn't show the lunar flag planting in "First Man"?

by Anonymousreply 67February 25, 2019 5:35 PM

R13: Blockbuster went out of business years ago.

by Anonymousreply 68February 25, 2019 5:46 PM

r44 = right wingnut who loved a boring movie.

by Anonymousreply 69February 25, 2019 6:16 PM

Of course the "Reddit bros" hate it, r54.

They're racist, juvenile white nerds who only like escapist sci fi and fluff. Kids stuff.

They would be the first ones to hate any movie that champions the dignity of blacks and gays like GREEN BOOK.

by Anonymousreply 70February 25, 2019 6:21 PM

The guy in r32/ r33's pictures is the actual, real-life Tony Villalonga (sp?), the character played by Viggo Mortensen in the movie.

He has a co-writing credit, and of COURSE the story is filtered through his eyes. And for that, it portrays him and his family and friends pretty unvarnishedly as clueless, racially obtuse goombahs (at least at the start of the movie).

What's less clear to me is why someone like Octavia Spencer would produce something like this.

Oh, and for the poster who's asking why the black character wants a specifically white chauffeur: the interview scene makes it fairly clear that he knows he's going to have problems with racists, and he's looking for a guy who's both white (and can therefore get around the Jim Crow restrictions if needed), and also a tough guy who can use his fists if needed to get them out of a tight spot. At least that seemed obvious to me.

by Anonymousreply 71February 25, 2019 6:25 PM

Both Crash and Green a Book were excellent, well deserving films. I am thrilled the made for TV movie snooze fest ROMA didn't win....I would have cancelled my Net flix subscription

by Anonymousreply 72February 25, 2019 6:46 PM

Oh it's hard to call- I thought it was quite good. I thought Roma and The Favorite and Black Klansman were excellent. I mean, who really cares- each film is still there for all to see. Now Black Panther... we're supposed go think it's great because it's about African American royalty- or rather elevating African Americans into superheros etc. But what if you think Hollywood superhero movies are dumber than Hollywood westerns? I almost walked out of Wonder Woman a couple years ago. That was supposed to be good too.

by Anonymousreply 73February 25, 2019 6:47 PM

R71 It is his son, father(character in the movie) died in 2013

by Anonymousreply 74February 25, 2019 6:53 PM

Justin Chang is picking nits.

GREEN BOOK is valid, even though the protagonist and creators were white. That approach is valid. A movie doesn't HAVE to come from the black character's point of view to be good, or to have a good point of view on a black character.

Chang is one of these people who is trying to impose racist requirements on artwork.

And why is GREEN BOOK "glib" just because it didn't explore "the long, barbaric and ongoing history of American racism?"

How are you going to fit THAT into a 2-hour movie? Why can't a story have a happy ending and still be true and helpful at overcoming racism and homophobia?

1) Every movie is "reductive." Every story has to put something into practical, specific terms with just a few, main characters who can never represent EVERYBODY in a goddamn movie, much less all "white privilege and power structures." You only get two hours, so why should every movie tell the BLACKKKLANSMAN cop's side or the 12 YEARS A SLAVE's side? Those stories are reductive and they're for different times and different people.

None of them are invalid, but Chang thinks every show has to come from a black guy's perspective and that perspective must damn white people. He thinks only black main characters are valid literature, or valid for the purposes of combatting racism.

What a twat! He's just another racist.

2) How is a "one-sided" movie better than a "both sides" movie? Was Shirley NOT a pompous ass who needed to learn he wasn't above working-class people? Is anybody perfect? Does making both characters culpable and changing for the better make a bad movie?

FUCK NO. It's dynamic character development and it makes a movie better. It sets a good example for two areas of improvement.

Chang also keeps accusing GREEN BOOK of being things that it's not:

[quote]The movie makes little attempt to parse or appreciate his musical gifts critically.

Every time Shirley plays, the music is captivating and amazing for all to behold. That's enough. Like I said, you don't have all day. The white people hosting Shirley explain some of his talents, but the proof is in the performances, which the movie DOES show.

Also, the "Busted in the YMCA" scene wasn't "reprehensible" or "lacking empathy" or anything that isn't realistic. It's not cheapened just because Shirley's white friend comes to his rescue.

[quote]Ali has now won another award for playing a gay black man in a movie that has so little respect for his identity.

It's overflowing with respect for his identity.

[quote]the academy that broke new ground by giving its highest honor to “Moonlight” two years ago has now seen fit to bestow the same prize on a movie that is “Moonlight’s” complete aesthetic, emotional and moral antithesis.

They're kindred spirits. STFU

Chang thinks BEALE STREET, SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, SUPPORT THE GIRLS and WIDOWS are all better movies than GREEN BOOK, which is just racist bullshit.

GREEN BOOK will never be equaled with CRASH or CRASH'S win because GREEN BOOK is a good movie. It's solid, entertaining, illuminating and true, unlike CRASH.

I like BLACKKKLANSMAN and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY more than GREEN BOOK. But I'm not outraged!!!!! because GREEN BOOK is a good flick.

by Anonymousreply 75February 25, 2019 7:11 PM

Does anyone know if Mahershala Ali can actually play the piano well (like Jamie Foxx in Ray)? Or did they just cut those scenes to make it look like he can play?

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2019 7:16 PM

The worst thing about 'Crash' was that it was poorly written and directed and ultimately had nothing to say.

I enjoyed 'Green Book ' for it's humor and for it's intent to tell an interesting story about interesting people set in a particular time and place. It was a story about an unlikely friendship between a black gay man and a straight white man set at a time when racial divisions and anti-homosexual biases were much deeper than they are now. The best thing that came out of it for me is that I learned about an interesting gay musical artist named Don Shirley. I have since purchased a lot of his music (a total of 15 cd's. Yes, I can be obsessive about music when I really like someone) and it's become my go to Saturday and Sunday morning music for the past several weeks. It's a wonderful mix of classical, spiritual, jazz, blues, and the great American songbook with an interesting and unique playing style that at times even touches on the avant garde. Don Shirley was an exceptional artist and a man of great feeling and it's all there in the music.

Is this a perfect movie ? No. Does it trade in well worn stereotypes. Yes (how many comedies don't trade in stereotypes ?). Can it be said to fit the familiar 'white savior' trope that has understandably become such an object of frustration and derision for black filmgoers ? Sadly yes. I haven't seen Spike's latest but are you sure that his film doesn't contain any racial stereotypes or tropes that others might find objectionable ?

I am a gay white man in my 60's. It was the gay angle rather than the racial angle that brought me to the film. I loved Mahershala Ali's dignified and restrained take on Don Shirley and I also loved Viggo Mortenssen's colorful take on Villalonga. I would have loved to see Viggo take home the Oscar just as Ali deservedly did. Despite it's flaws this is a warm and well made film that, in my opinion, tried to say something positive about our collective ability to move beyond racial and sexual stereotypes and racial fear. Do we have some distance to go ? Well, that's obvious.

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2019 8:25 PM

Green Book is a terribly written movie you tasteless cretins. You’re of the ilk that think Forrest Gump is profound.

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2019 9:47 PM

It's no "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner".

by Anonymousreply 79February 26, 2019 5:17 AM

It's impossible for me to take someone seriously when they use the word "racial" instead of "race" and top it off with snide remarks about "virtue signaling." That reeks of someone regurgitating what they've been told rather than having an original thought.

by Anonymousreply 80February 26, 2019 8:25 AM

Good lord, r77 gave a detailed analysis of the movie, and the artist, and gave his personal reaction to both, yet r80 thinks that these thoughtful opinions are somehow regurgitated from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 81February 26, 2019 10:12 AM

Variations of R77's analysis ciuld be found all over Twitter.

Thanks to Twitter, the backlash against Green Book was all huge.

by Anonymousreply 82February 26, 2019 10:21 AM

He didn't, r81, but no one expected him to.

It's not about his "review" of the film, it's that online discussions of sociocultural issues tend to be centralized in groups and forums with a very specific agenda. If you're using the old-fashioned term "racial" coupled with the faux left/alt-right catchphrase "virtue signaling," it's a good indicator of the kind of places you've been getting your cultural analysis from.

by Anonymousreply 83February 26, 2019 10:26 AM

@R83. R77 here.

Virtue Signaling- The action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

I've been online since I bought my first computer some time in the early to mid 90's. I don't know where the above phrase was first uttered but I'm sure you've noticed that it's become ubiquitous in recent years, online and elsewhere. I knew exactly what it meant the first time I read it (because by that time the practice of virtue signaling had already become epidemic) but I looked it up online last week for the first time when I considered using it in a response to one of the Robert Kraft threads.

The worst thing about virtue signaling is that it adds nothing to the debate at hand. The writer is simply positioning him or herself as virtuous and then advertising that to the world. It's prideful, selfish and cheap.

I don't do twitter or facebook or any of that. I look for information online from a variety of sources left, right and center. Alt-right and faux left ? Get real. That's your way of slandering me because I happened to disrupt your virtue signal.

by Anonymousreply 84February 26, 2019 1:42 PM

So is Green Book a “white ‘splaining” movie?

by Anonymousreply 85February 26, 2019 1:49 PM

I heard the Daily today. I don't buy it. It's a nice movie that has a nice message. Maybe not the most complex story, but it had black producers etc. It's not a racist movie, nor does it let white people do whatever disingenuous thing that critics are saying.

by Anonymousreply 86February 26, 2019 2:04 PM

It's been 15 years since Crash and in another 15, Green Book will have aged just as horribly. I do wonder what movie will take the place of Brokeback Mountain in this case, if any. The Favorite (my fave), Roma, or Black Panther? I doubt it'll be BlacKkKlansman and it definitely won't be ASIB or Vice. There's no clear favorite for that spot like in 2005.

by Anonymousreply 87February 26, 2019 2:20 PM

Netflix is loving the post Oscar reactions from the mainstream media. The LA Times, Washington Post, and MSNBC all saying Roma was robbed. They went from being unwanted at the Oscars to probably securing more Best Picture nominations in future ceremonies. Roma losing best picture was probably the best outcome for them long term.

by Anonymousreply 88February 26, 2019 2:26 PM

R88 Well paid pricks say Roma was robbed? lol so sad

by Anonymousreply 89February 26, 2019 2:39 PM

R87 i dont think so. Green book has very touchy story , about male friendship. The movies itself is very 60s, so i dont think it will age so fast. Comparing it to Crush is funny.

by Anonymousreply 90February 26, 2019 2:44 PM

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. Crash had plenty of admirers back in the day as well. Though not on DL, which was of course rooting for BM.

by Anonymousreply 91February 26, 2019 2:48 PM

[quote]It's no "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner".

Don't you mean "There's Some Black People Coming to Dinner?"

by Anonymousreply 92February 26, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]Well paid pricks say Roma was robbed? lol so sad

Except Roma was the favorite coming into the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 93February 26, 2019 3:13 PM

R93 For Best Picture? no Green book won PAG

by Anonymousreply 94February 26, 2019 3:15 PM

Lol, Roma won every precursor where it was eligible to win Best Picture. The media and narrative was that Roma was the favorite coming into the Oscars, and the narrative is that it lost Best Picture to Green Book.

by Anonymousreply 95February 26, 2019 3:24 PM

r88, do people vote for the studio producing the film or for the film itself? This isn't 1939, when Louis B. Mayer could order all Academy member in his employ to vote a straight MGM ticket.

If Netflix continues to release films to theaters and not just on their platform, they'll get attention from the Academy, but they need to do more than a handful of cities for 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 96February 26, 2019 3:24 PM

The idea that a 2 and 1/2 hour black and white drama in a foreign language was ever the front-runner is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 97February 26, 2019 3:26 PM

R97 Exactly.And Washington Post, LA Times ARE disappointed????? Laughable. If that movie was not from Netfli they wouldnt care at all. I dont think they even watched it. Americans hate subtitled movies. You dont like to read. Only because it is from Netflix and people start to care. Politics is important to.

by Anonymousreply 98February 26, 2019 3:33 PM

The white protagonist in Green Book was Italian American? It figures...

by Anonymousreply 99February 26, 2019 3:34 PM

R99 It was not made up, thats a real story . shirley and Vallelonga existed, so why you nag about italian american?

by Anonymousreply 100February 26, 2019 3:39 PM

I hate FORREST GUMP and CRASH. GREEN BOOK is nothing like them.

by Anonymousreply 101February 26, 2019 3:40 PM

You’re wrong, r87.

BLACKKKLANSMAN is an awesome movie. It won the Grand Prix at Cannes.

It will hold up as a fierce masterpiece and leave an impression forever.

by Anonymousreply 102February 26, 2019 3:46 PM

Don Shirley's family dismayed at pianist's portrayal in "Green Book"

t’s hard to package history, race and truth in one cinematic box.

Hollywood claims to have done this with the “The Green Book,” which won three Academy Awards Sunday night, including Best Picture.

The story was based on the friendship between Anthony “Lip” Vallenlonga, an Italian-American bouncer from the Bronx and renowned African-American musician Don Shirley, whom Vallenlonga in 1962 chauffeured through the Deep South.

As he accepted the best picture Oscar, "Green Book" director Peter Farrelly said the film that featured Mahershala Ali as Shirley and Viggo Mortensen as Vallenlonga was about “love” at a time when race, class and prejudice divided much of the country.

But there is no love for Vallenlonga from members of the Shirley family, who say they and their potential contributions to the film were shut out.

When Ali won the supporting actor Oscar, Shirley's family was on Skype.

“Everybody was happy for Mahershala Ali and the first words out of his mouth was thank you to Dr. Don Shirley," said Shirley’s niece, Jasmin Shirley.

But jubilation turned to anger when it was announced that the "Green Book" received an Oscar for Best Original Screen Play,” and then Best Picture.

“I was livid. ...There was no recognition of my Uncle Donald or our family,” Jasmin Shirley said. Indeed, director Spike Lee seemed ready to walk out of the Dolby Theatre after the best picture win, and the Twitterati seemed miffed that Hollywood picked a white savior film over "Black Panther" and Spike Lee’s "BlacKkKlansman."

In their acceptance speeches, director Peter Farelly and screenplay writer Nick Vallenlonga never mentioned the Shirley family, but in a post-awards media press conference Vallenlonga, son of Anthony Vallenlonga, addressed the controversy.

“If you are discussing the Don Shirley family thing, that falls on me," Vallenlonga said. "Don Shirley himself told me himself not to speak to anyone. He told me the story that he wanted to tell.”

But members of Shirley’s family say the depiction of Don Shirley is just not true. For starters, they say Vallenlonga was hired to drive Shirley on a tour of historically black colleges and universities, not a tour of segregated venues across the South. The lens through which the story is framed is another issue.

“The thing that bothers our family is the focus of the film is all about a white man who was an extreme racist who was still a racist at the end,” said Karole Shirley Kimble, daughter of Shirley’s brother Maurice. “Clearly, our family has a legacy of black excellence and family pride. Our concern is that (this) white director presented one person’s perspective.”

What is not in dispute is that Vallenlonga used the real "Green Book" to find places for he and Shirley to eat and sleep. The guidebook was created by Victor Green, a New York city postal worker, and published between 1936 and 1967. It was as cherished as the family bible for many African American families who often made long trips across the country on dark highways lined with segregated corridors and hate.

The book grew in popularity and size thanks to J.D. Rockefeller and his Esso gas stations, but fell out of favor in the 1960s once accommodations were integrated. A Smithsonian Channel documentary, “The Green Book Guide to Freedom,” featuring home movies of African American families, debuts Monday night.

Kimble said had the movie makers asked the family, they would have gotten a more realistic view of Shirley’s tour.

“They didn’t (include) my family," Kimble said. "They didn’t listen to the other side of the story. They listened to other whites talk about my uncle.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 26, 2019 3:46 PM

(continued)

Donald Walbridge Shirley was born in Pensacola, Florida, on Jan. 29, 1927. His parents were Jamaican immigrants. His father, , was an Episcopal priest and his mother, Stella, worked as a schoolteacher. She died two days after delivering Shirley's brother, Maurice, who eventually became a psychologist. Two other brothers, Calvin Hylton Shirley and Shirley Jr., became physicians. Donald Shirley earned three doctorates.

“Grandfather Shirley believed that there was a time to work and a time to play. He believed in the scripture that obedience is better than sacrifice and he molded his children and grandchildren in that way,” said Kimble, adding that after their mother died the brothers worked hard at cooking and cleaning so that their father wouldn't get married again. But Shirley did marry again after he moved the family to Fort Lauderdale, and he and his new wife had a daughter, a.

A prodigy, Shirley began playing piano at age 2. By 9, he was studying music theory at the Leningrad Conservatory of Music. He started playing professionally in 1955 at age 18 with the Boston Pops, performing Tchaikovsky’s "Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat."

“At every stop his family was there,” said Jasmin Shirley, adding that he learned to play from his mother, who was the organist at St. Cyprian Episcopal Church in Pensacola.

The Shirleys lived in St. Cyprian's parsonage, in the shadows of the Belmont-DeVilliers neighborhood, a booming African American business corridor in 1930s Pensacola. The area was filled with churches, business owners, medical professionals, funeral homes and large family homes.

“I remember the Shirley boys playing in this house,” said Maggie Polkinghorne Wilson, 84, whose brother was Lt. James Porkinghorne, a Tuskegee Airman and World War II pilot.

Shirley attended the Catholic University of America as well as the University of Chicago, and earned doctorates of music, psychology and liturgical arts. But he became disenchanted with musical performance.

In a 2018 video from a planned, never completed documentary with the working title of “Let It Shine: Don Shirley," he was filmed in his New York City apartment above Carnegie Hall, where he talked about his goals.

“I was dead set on being, all my life, what I was trained to be, although I had to go through the back doors of the nightclub,” Shirley said.

Despite performing with symphonies in Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and other cities, Shirley ended up taking the advice of New York theater producer Sol Hurok, who told him that white audiences in the United States were not ready for a “colored” playing classical piano on the concert stage. He was better received in overseas venues from Africa to Europe.

“He was a child prodigy but he couldn’t be a classical pianist because of the color of his skin. You can hear the pain in his voice. You can see his anger. He was angry because he was disrespected,” Jasmin Shirley said of the documentary.

The film portrays Shirley as a lonely man who was estranged from his family. But Kimble said Don Shirley kept up with his family until he died on April 6, 2013.

“His biggest treat was traveling to Milan, Italy, and performing at La Scala, the world’s largest opera house,” Kimble said.

Shirley recorded hundreds of pieces, and two of his favorites was a remake of “Bridge Over Trouble Waters,” and “This Little Light of Mine.”

Shirley blended classical music with jazz and pop music to create his own style. But to his own frustration, most of his performances were in nightclubs instead of concert halls, and he sought to differentiate himself from regular nightclub performers.

“They smoke while they're playing, and they'll put the glass of whisky on the piano, and then they'll get mad when they're not respected like (classical pianist) Arthur Rubinstein," Shirley said in a 1982 New York Times interview. "You don't see Arthur Rubinstein smoking and putting a glass on the piano. ... The black experience through music, with a sense of dignity, that's all I have ever tried to do.”

by Anonymousreply 104February 26, 2019 3:48 PM

R103 Those black are racist

by Anonymousreply 105February 26, 2019 3:48 PM

I haven't seen Green Book, it is in my rental cue. However, I have followed the controversy and I think there might be hurt feelings from his family in that it is written from the viewpoint of the white guy and they didn't make money off of it. I wonder if they would keep bitching if they had been hired as consultants and got part of the profit. I can understand they feel white people are making money off of their relative but I they could have started the project themselves. I read that Shirley wasn't really cut off from his family, but he might have been during that time period when even families didn't want a gay in the family. No doubt they can get something made now that tells the story the want told and can profit from it. I just get the feeling this has more to do with them not getting to participate financially.

by Anonymousreply 106February 26, 2019 4:03 PM

Justin Chang is a born-again gay man, FWIW. At least he reads that way.

by Anonymousreply 107February 26, 2019 4:15 PM

No r106. He was their relative, not the Italian. They should have been consulted. I seriously doubt that they would have been able to shop the story to anyone in Hollywood themselves. A white guy had to do it.

And they guy pretty much stayed a racist, huh? It’s fucked up, but it is honest. White people won’t change. Not really. There are few kumbaya moments in America when it comes to black white relationships. It was told from the perspective of a man whose prejudices weren’t eliminated from his experiences. That’s truth. His truth anyway.

by Anonymousreply 108February 26, 2019 4:20 PM

R108 script was co written by tony vallelonga son ! I think he knows the story too

by Anonymousreply 109February 26, 2019 4:26 PM

Vallelonga is a dumb Trumpster.

by Anonymousreply 110February 26, 2019 4:29 PM

R108 You dont get it at all.All you see is black people. and how they are potrayed.Everything what white do is racist. They wont change . And you know what??? White people say that the WHITE character is portrayed as an idiot, imbecile and black as looking down at him , full of himself, who tech him how to talk.. they are always two sides. But the black love being a victim

by Anonymousreply 111February 26, 2019 4:33 PM

I'm not even going to bother reading the whole thread and I'm not going to see the movie. How many "whitey done me wrong" movies do we really need? What is the agenda? What is the point of all of these racism movies? Is this the only theme of movie where black people can get Oscar-caliber roles?

Crash. The Help. 12 Years A Slave. Just to name a few. ENOUGH of these race-baiting movies that do nothing to uplift people of color but only serve to keep racial tensions alive and make black people feel like they have always been lesser. Scabs do not heal when they are constantly ripped off over and over and over again.

Why not more Black Panther type movies??

by Anonymousreply 112February 26, 2019 4:43 PM

I agree with r112. I realize it's important to never forget the past, but surely, now that Black Panther has been a smash, we should be seeing movies about black Americans that doesn't focus on the scourge of racism? And surely black actors and filmmakers would like to play roles where they are not perpetual victims?

by Anonymousreply 113February 26, 2019 5:15 PM

If you haven't seen the movie, who cares about your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 114February 26, 2019 5:38 PM

"Spotlight" was far worse. Embarrassing even.

by Anonymousreply 115February 26, 2019 5:42 PM

[quote]The truth of those stories has been called into question by many, including Shirley’s family,

Are we really supposed to believe the Shirley family would EVER admit that he was gay not to mention busted for having sex with a guy in a YMCA? Really? I'm going to take anything they say and put it on 'ignore'.

by Anonymousreply 116February 26, 2019 5:54 PM

BR and GB will never ever be remembered as a gay movie.

by Anonymousreply 117February 26, 2019 6:38 PM

i haven't read that the family objected to the portrayal of gay. Their gripe seem to be that the driver's son depicted what was essentially a business relationship into a a feelgood buddy road trip; and that Shirley was not as estranged from the family as the movie depicts.

by Anonymousreply 118February 26, 2019 6:41 PM

I loved Green Book. It's not the best movie of the year, bu it was good. It's a feel good movie. That's all. And it's not really a film about Don Shirley, but about Tony Vallelonga. I'm not American so this backlash is slightly strange to me. I'm trying to understand it all.

Out of all the best picture nominees I didn't see Roma yet. The Favourite is the best, then Blackkklansman and Green Book takes the third place in my opinion. The rest are pretty much crap although Bo Rhap (also crap) is dear to me because of Queen.

by Anonymousreply 119February 26, 2019 6:51 PM

r118 is correct; not once I have seen the Shirley family dispute the portrayal of Don Shirley as gay.

by Anonymousreply 120February 26, 2019 7:08 PM

How many of these detractors have seen the movie? Yeah, I thought so.

The film is equally Tony and Shirley's which is why Mahershala's win for Supporting was basically category fraud.

Don Shirley was portrayed as dignified, smart and acute of his inner and larger worlds. He is the one living in Carnegie Hall. There is nothing White Savior about thus film.

The issue with this film is that a white man wrote it and a white man directed it. We would still be having this conversation if the writer wasn't a Trump supporter and the director didn't expose himself.

by Anonymousreply 121February 26, 2019 7:11 PM

[quote]I realize it's important to never forget the past, but surely, now that Black Panther has been a smash, we should be seeing movies about black Americans that doesn't focus on the scourge of racism? And surely black actors and filmmakers would like to play roles where they are not perpetual victims?

Because white people won't go see films like that...black people might, but films like that aren't appealing to the white male demographic...they don't really want to see black people as "normal", living life, loving, marrying, dying like everyone else. It has to be seen through white male eyes as the "other".

by Anonymousreply 122February 26, 2019 8:11 PM

Hate that this movie gave ANOTHER award to a straight actor playing a gay character, while gay actors can just barely get a foot in Hollywood's door.

by Anonymousreply 123February 26, 2019 8:27 PM

[quote]while OUT gay actors can just barely get a foot in Hollywood's door.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 124February 26, 2019 11:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!