Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris support reparations for African-Americans.

Last week, on the popular radio show “The Breakfast Club,” Senator Kamala Harris of California agreed with a host’s suggestion that government reparations for black Americans were necessary to address the legacies of slavery and discrimination. Ms. Harris later affirmed that support in a statement to The New York Times.

“We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities,” she said. “I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities.”

Ms. Warren also said she supported reparations for black Americans impacted by slavery — a policy that experts say could cost several trillion dollars, and one that Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and many top Democrats have not supported.

The Warren campaign declined to give further details on that backing, but it came amid her calls for the federal government to provide special home-buying assistance to residents of communities that were adversely affected by “redlining,” the discriminatory practice of denying mortgages, usually in poor and nonwhite areas. She also announced a sweeping universal child-care proposal that could strongly benefit minority communities that often have limited early childhood services.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 4, 2019 5:44 PM

It's not just about slavery, it's about the jim crow laws, redlining, and innumerable other fuckery up till this very day.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2019 11:38 AM

The Black experience is not unique in the US. Jews, East Asians, First Nations, Whites and Hispanics were also slaves, lynched and continue to this day to suffer discrimination and bigotry. Either everyone should receive reparations or it's simply more racism, bigotry and discrimination.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2019 11:42 AM

We just did this thread yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2019 11:47 AM

This will get Trumps ass re elected

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2019 11:49 AM

"Jews, East Asians, First Nations, Whites and Hispanics were also slaves, lynched and continue to this day to suffer discrimination and bigotry."

True, but in America, not to the extent that blacks did, not even remotely close.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2019 11:50 AM

I’m Black. Liberal. Pro-Kamala even. I’m still not getting reparations as a practical matter. I’d rather focus on improving schools, healthcare, employment....

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2019 11:55 AM

Not my business, but many generations passed, no one alive was a slave or slave owner. Treat people differently because of the colour of their skin seems like a very absurd way to over racism. They should be treated like equals, nothing more, nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote] not to the extent that blacks did,

You're a racist and a bigot R5. Discriminating against others because they are not Black.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2019 12:06 PM

I'd start with the verifiable ancestry and historic claims to reparations of living citizens:

Native Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2019 12:08 PM

[quote] It's not just about slavery,

Run by Dems

[quote] it's about the jim crow laws,

Run by Dems

[quote] redlining, and innumerable other fuckery up till this very day.

All Dems (including the original KKK )

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Nope, back then the Republican Party was named the Democratic Party. They switch names later on.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2019 12:25 PM

So FDR was a Republican, R11? Thanks, I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2019 12:32 PM

I’m with r6.

And a formal US apology would be a good start.

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2019 12:40 PM

[quote] The Black experience is not unique in the US. Jews, East Asians, First Nations, Whites and Hispanics were also slaves

This is a lie. The alternative facts and history Whites spin never ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2019 12:49 PM

[quote] Run by Dems

[quote] Run by Dems

[quote]All Dems (including the original KKK )

Southern Strategy for idiots video guide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Didn't the Republican party ignore the damage HIV/AIDS was doing to the gay community? Both parties have evil history.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2019 12:55 PM

R2 Irish/white slaves debunked

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 12:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 12:56 PM

Native Americans OWNED slaves.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2019 12:58 PM

We already have reparations - it’s called affirmative action, public sector employment, and the welfsre state. We have slavery today too, tax slavery.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2019 12:59 PM

Is the discussion at this point in our politics worth the political capital it will cost?

Reparations for decedents of slaves in a form other than those r20 describes may in fact be morally just, and we increase the cost of implementation for each year we wait. So, I return to my question: Is the discussion at this point in our politics worth the political capital it will cost?

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 1:01 PM

Reparations would continue to divide black/white relations

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2019 1:01 PM

[quote]This is a lie.

Uh, no R14. The only "lie" is your denigrating, dismissing and ignoring the discrimination, lynching and slavery that other minorities suffered and still suffer in the US.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2019 1:02 PM

R19 So did freed blacks. Both are canards used to distort the reality and causes of slavery.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2019 1:02 PM

We were slaves in Egypt for 400 years. And you know what? We got over it.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2019 1:04 PM

There is no proof Jews were enslaved in Egypt. Fake news.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2019 1:05 PM

Reparations will pretty much guarantee another civil war. Slavery was 150+ years ago, Jim Crow 50+ years ago. It’s just amazing to look at the lengths the Democratic Party will go to keep a critical vote bank.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2019 1:06 PM

R23 Why do you Nazis think you're so devastatingly ingenious? It's not even cleverly veiled racism. Your purpose is to simultaneously deny the extent of black chattel slavery while also perpetuating the myth that whites were ever slaves in the U.S. You'll have to do better than that.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2019 1:06 PM

The Kamala troll is at it again. Someone feels very very VERY threatened by her candidacy.

Notice how the troll cherry picks wedge issues to condemn her. If the troll posted Kamalas positions on 99.9% of issues, everyone here would vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2019 1:06 PM

R21 Cut the trillion we allocate each year to murder and impoverish brown people overseas and invest some of that towards the communities decimated here by centuries of slavery, forced sterilization, disproportionate imprisonment, redlining and other government lead initiatives that made White Americans wealthy at the cost of black and brown Americans.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2019 1:09 PM

No one actually reads the article and I know this is a far too common race-baiting DL thread.

Kamala said:

[quote]“I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities.”

No one is going to cut anyone a check.

You have black people living in a country where their ancestors were slaves and racist practices still taking place because of that echo. The same echo which has also caused people in positions of power to grow up as racist a-holes themselves.

The only thing you can do is strengthen laws and install new ones that punish people for discriminating against others based upon skin color.

[quote]Reparations will pretty much guarantee another civil war.

Yeah. That's literally the dumbest statement ever written. Americans can't even vote an non-idiot into office but you think that's gonna' happen? Please.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2019 1:10 PM

R8 I'm white, so how am I racist against non blacks when I am non black? You sound like a dribbling idiot. And that's an insult to dribbling idiots the world over.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2019 1:10 PM

[quote]We were slaves in Egypt for 400 years. And you know what? We got over it.

That’s a fairy tale. There’s no historical or archeological evidence it ever happened. Jews were nomads for their early history, and they borrowed many of their origin tales from the settled peoples of Mesopotamia.

You know what isn’t a fairy tale though? Jews *owned* slaves in Israel. They enslaved the Canaanites they conquered. It’s discussed in detail in the Old Testament.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2019 1:10 PM

[quote] We already have reparations - it’s called affirmative action, public sector employment, and the welfsre state. We have slavery today too, tax slavery.

R20 Whites in red states are the majority recipients of welfare. Ignorance is a choice.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2019 1:11 PM

Kamala does not believe in handing out money. She wants to see government funds invested in lifting up communities starved of resources, so that they have options other than going out on the streets and selling drugs. And you know what? Her approach works.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2019 1:13 PM

Kamala’s mother is a South Indian Tamil Brahmin, a hyper-elitist caste that has been opressing others for centuries. Kamala owes BIG. Fuck her and her piece of shit ancestors.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2019 1:13 PM

Fern Rosenthal went over a few heads on this thread lol!

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2019 1:14 PM

R28 You care nothing about history or other minorities who suffered and continue to suffer. You're as racist as those you hypocritically condemn.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2019 1:15 PM

Hi Kamala troll at r36!

What are you anyway? A bernbot? Wouldn’t surprise me — the Bernie bros pulled the same shit in 2105-16. Of course the troll won’t fess up. Trolls never do.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2019 1:16 PM

Best Buy, Dodge dealers, and jewelry stores support their plan.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2019 1:16 PM

R38 Whites are not a minority and were never slaves in the U.S. Claiming they were in order to nullify the atrocity against West African slaves perpetrated by Europeans is racist negationism.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2019 1:20 PM

You can argue that Chinese were slaves, but not whites.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2019 1:23 PM

R34- majority in terms of number, but whites and Asians utilize the welfare state at a much lower percentage everywhere. Damn that racist math!

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2019 1:23 PM

Can people then sue the reparations recipients for damages suffered by crimes committed by their ancestors?

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2019 1:24 PM

I support it also but were do we get the money?

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2019 1:25 PM

R41 Claiming that only "West Africans" suffered "atrocities" in the US is ignorant hypocrisy. Claiming that "West Africans" only suffered "atrocities" at the hands of "Europeans" is ignorant racism.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2019 1:27 PM

The best thing that the government can do is improve the quality of education in this country. That would help everyone.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2019 1:28 PM

R43 False, again.

[quote] ...The result does not simply reflect the fact that there are more white people in the country. The percentage of otherwise poor whites lifted from poverty by government safety-net programs is higher, at 44 percent, compared to 35 percent of otherwise poor minorities, the study concluded.

Whites also reap the best outcomes after government assistance while being the majority beneficiaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2019 1:30 PM

R46 Misusing scare quotes in a completely fallacious strawman argument. I'm at my limit.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2019 1:31 PM

[quote] I support it also but were do we get the money?

I spy with my little eye.. something blue and bloated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2019 1:36 PM

R41 takes a rather unsurprising, highly selective view, especially when it comes to the part Muslims and the Africans themselves played in the slave trade. Africans sold their unwanted tribal members and conquered tribal enemies into slavery. Muslims acted as go-betweens for Africans and Europeans, were very knowledgeable about the slave trade as they'd been slavers in Africa since the 10th century.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2019 1:46 PM

[quote]The best thing that the government can do is improve the quality of education in this country. That would help everyone.

Some kids are just unteachable. Nothing can help them.

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2019 1:47 PM

Even if we identified which descendants of slaves are somehow entitled to reparations, who pays? My grandparents were immigrants to the US. Am I responsible for making reparations?

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2019 1:53 PM

R53 - if you’re white, you are responsible for EVERYTHING!!

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2019 1:56 PM

R51 The only purpose of bringing up African slave traders is to sanitize the actual PURCHASING and exploitation of slaves by Europeans and to take the onus off them. Many of those slave traders were in turn thrown in chains themselves and shipped off.

Do you justify the genocidal purging of 130 million native americans with similar canards like feuding tribes? I bet you do.

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2019 2:19 PM

R55 The only point of IGNORING that without Africans and Muslims, there wouldn't have been a slave trade is because it makes a nonsense of your Whites . . . oh sorry . . . Europeans are the cause of Black misfortune and its corollary, No one suffered as much as Blacks. Both of which are historically inaccurate and racist.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2019 2:33 PM

Bernbots are all over DL right now posting about the glory of Saint Bernie and how terrible Kamala is. Why? Because the the cult of personality, an insanely dangerous phenomenon that brought us this chimp as president:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2019 2:45 PM

Ivanka Trump for President 2024/28

M O T H E R L A N D

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2019 2:58 PM

R12, FDR was when the switch had begun.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2019 2:58 PM

R29 - Actually, I doubt anyone believes that any such bill will ever pass Congress, so far from being threatened by Harris's racial grandstanding, what seems to be evidencing itself here is contempt and tribalism. Everyone's got an axe to grind if you look hard enough. Having blamed Trump for polarising your country, here comes Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren, whom I used to think very bright, with a proposal guaranteed to increase polarisation and drive the white working class straight into the GOP's arms.

Are they mad? This is pure grandstanding, it is NEVER going to happen, and will only serve to siphon votes away from the left and cost the Democrats dearly.

I can tell you that on the other side of the Pond, similar grandstanding by the increasingly far left Labour Party has only resulted in a fantastic failure to build on the shambolic shit show put on by the Tories. Labour, after the last year, should have been 25 points ahead in the polls after May's and the Tories' performance on BREXIT.

Instead, Labour continues to trail several points behind, quite incredibly. And that is down to Corbyn's and the core Labour PLP moving ever farther left, with identity politics to the fore.

This doesn't work and doesn't get votes. History moves on. It's 2019, people need healthcare, the working-class are becoming the poor, the middle-class are becoming the working-class . . .

These two women need to wake up, turn the page of history, and realise that it is time to move forward, not backward. This kind of racial grandstanding will only give the right more life. It is happening all over Europe, and it will happen in America, too.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2019 3:00 PM

[quote]And that is down to Corbyn's and Labour's unashamed anti-Jewish bigotry and having jettisoned traditional constituents, with displays of political lunacy to the fore.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote] Kamala does not believe in handing out money. She wants to see government funds invested in lifting up communities starved of resources, so that they have options other than going out on the streets and selling drugs. And you know what? Her approach works.

Handing out condoms and birth control would be a better approach.

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2019 3:25 PM

R61 - I'm not in disagreement with that specifically, I was simply making the broader case. Corbyn is an unreconstructed 1930s Stalinist ideologue. He also doesn't realise what century this is - God save me from ideologues who won't adapt to new realities. And further to that, as the West becomes ever more secular, political ideology is taking the place of religion.

Only without stuff like the B Minor Mass and the Sistine Chapel ceiling to make up for the auto da fes.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2019 3:35 PM

[quote] Even if we identified which descendants of slaves are somehow entitled to reparations, who pays? My grandparents were immigrants to the US. Am I responsible for making reparations?

Yes. Your grandparents emigrated to take advantage of opportunity in a country with a promise of liberty and whose economy was made strong and prosperous by centuries of forced labor of African slaves. The descendants of those slaves are denied liberty and opportunity to share in that prosperity. I assume that you and your family have prospered to a greater extent than if your grandparents had remained in their native country. So to the extent reparations must be made, you pay along with everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2019 3:06 AM

[quote]Bernbots are all over DL right now posting about the glory of Saint Bernie and how terrible Kamala is. Why? Because the the cult of personality, an insanely dangerous phenomenon that brought us this chimp as president:

Nice use of irony there.

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2019 3:12 AM

I think the Dems granting reparations to the coloreds is the best idea I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2019 4:13 AM

We are NEVER going to take back the whitehouse with crazy shit like this. WT FUCKING F?

by Anonymousreply 67February 24, 2019 4:49 AM

0/10 r65.

by Anonymousreply 68February 24, 2019 5:30 AM

I can see it’s going to be a VERY long election season....BTW = I miss Hillary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 24, 2019 7:31 AM

[quote] racist practices still taking place because of that echo

"Echo"?

by Anonymousreply 70February 24, 2019 4:25 PM

This is a gift that Republicans thought they could only dream of. The tone-deafness of many Democrats is startling.

by Anonymousreply 71February 24, 2019 4:29 PM

My Italian grandfather was mugged by a black man back in the 1970s. His skull was repaired with a steel plate. Can I sue all black people for my Grandpa's pain and suffering? How about my pain and suffering from losing a warm, gentle man; one who became an empty shell?

by Anonymousreply 72February 24, 2019 6:00 PM

R68, same score for your intellect.

by Anonymousreply 73February 24, 2019 6:01 PM

I saw this announced recently and decided to so some research on it, particularly to read comments to see what the black community's feelings are about it. Many are surprisingly rational about it, they realize that it would be nearly impossible to give Black Americans, or per their own preference, ADOS (American Descendants of Slaves), individual handouts. Instead, they suggest the money be used to help ADOS attain more independence and success, including schools, universities, perhaps loan and grant programs for home ownership, etc. Instead of calling it "reparations for slavery" perhaps something more along the lines of the "ADOS Bill".

I don't think it's unreasonable. There is a Democrat (white woman), can't remember her name right now, Williams maybe?, she wants reparations of 1 billion per year for at least the next 10 years. Perfectly doable, we just take 1 billion a year that we waste on Israel and give it to the ADOS. I think that's fair. So do a lot of ADOS, the reparations that were paid to Jews for the holocaust that our country didn't even participate in as well as the billions that go overseas to Israel seem to be a big talking point among ADOS right now.

As an aside, I'm surprised at how many Black Americans do not care for Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 74February 24, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote] As an aside, I'm surprised at how many Black Americans do not care for Kamala.

Today does not matter. If she is the candidate black voters will vigorously support her. Initially, Obama was not popular among black voters. It wasn't until the 2008 primaries that he solidified his black base.

by Anonymousreply 75February 25, 2019 1:15 AM

Oh I wasn't aware, thanks R75.

by Anonymousreply 76February 25, 2019 2:26 AM

Reparations in the form of Section 8 and welfare food stamps and Medicaid and affirmative action and diversity initiatives and lowered standards aren’t sufficient?

What would these people plan to do with their hypothetical reparation cash?

by Anonymousreply 77February 25, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote] We were slaves in BABYLON for years. And you know what? We got over it.

Fixed it. Everybody happy now?

by Anonymousreply 78February 25, 2019 3:31 AM

R75 I admire your optimism. I wrote this on another thread, but I spent about an hour perusing an urban message board yesterday, and the term "Demoncrat Jew Party" was used by all. They called Kamal Harris a "half breed tragic mulatto."

There are many black people who dislike biracial folks because they feel that there is a conspiracy to use them as a way to marginalize full blacks.

It's much more complex than that, but they are extremely leery about biracials especially because they think Obama sold them out for the gays.

by Anonymousreply 79February 25, 2019 3:44 AM

They all just got reparations with tonight's Oscars. Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 80February 25, 2019 3:48 AM

Did either candidate use the word Reperations? It would be the end of anyone’s candidacy. And it’s a stupid idea. It’s politically impossible and there’s no reason to even discuss it.

It might just be a Right wing lie, which makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 81February 25, 2019 4:22 AM

[quote]It might just be a Right wing lie, which makes more sense.

What are you, a fucking idiot? Harris and Warren both said it. In public. It's all over the news.

by Anonymousreply 82February 25, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote] We already have reparations - it’s called affirmative action, public sector employment, and the welfsre state. We have slavery today too, tax slavery.

White women benefit most from affirmative action — and are among its fiercest opponents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 25, 2019 6:14 AM

[quote] Reparations in the form of Section 8 and welfare food stamps and Medicaid and affirmative action and diversity initiatives and lowered standards aren’t sufficient? What would these people plan to do with their hypothetical reparation cash?

So programs from which whites are able to equally benefit (and in the case of affirmative action benefit more) are supposed to be compensation for slavery?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 25, 2019 6:18 AM

How the U.S. Government Locked Black Americans Out of Attaining the American Dream

. . . Mehrsa Baradaran, a law professor at the University of Georgia, researches banking law, and how the U.S. government, in conjunction with the financial sector, has exacerbated economic inequality. In her new book, The Color of Money: Black Banks and the Racial Wealth Gap, she tracks the persistence of the racial wealth gap, from the end of slavery to today. Baradaran thoroughly diagnoses the ways the U.S. government and white-owned banks have historically shut out black Americans from prosperity, while boosting white Americans into the middle and upper classes. I talked with Baradaran about the structural causes of inequality, the cynical political messaging around black entrepreneurship by white politicians, and Jackie Robinson’s foray into banking.

Let’s start at the beginning. What is the genesis of the racial wealth gap? It all starts with slavery. When we fought over slavery and, as an institution, it dissolved, we never confronted the justifications around it. Those things lingered, and so did this desire, this need—especially in the South—to use blacks as labor and not capital. Black bodies were capital, but blacks themselves could not control capital. They had to be labor. That lingered well after slavery.

In order to create wealth, you need capital. And if you are capital, and if you’re only subscribed to labor based on Jim Crow laws—which is exactly the purpose for Jim Crow in the southern economy, post-slavery—then you can’t build wealth. So that’s the genesis of the wealth gap. What I show in the book is that it doesn’t resolve itself. From the Civil War until today, the wealth gap has barely budged. In fact, the total amount of wealth owned by the black population has not grown at all appreciably—not noticeably—in the last 150 years . . .

In order to create wealth, you need capital. And if you are capital, and if you’re only subscribed to labor based on Jim Crow laws—which is exactly the purpose for Jim Crow in the southern economy, post-slavery—then you can’t build wealth. So that’s the genesis of the wealth gap. What I show in the book is that it doesn’t resolve itself. From the Civil War until today, the wealth gap has barely budged. In fact, the total amount of wealth owned by the black population has not grown at all appreciably—not noticeably—in the last 150 years.

OK, let’s talk about the flip side of that: racial inclusion. How historically, middle-class white people were included in these sweeping government programs that helped them get a business loan, get a college education, get a house. I feel like that’s something that gets left out of the conversation, is delineating how many sweeping government programs there have been with the express purpose of building up white wealth.

To the extent that white Americans became middle class, it is through the credit infrastructure that was bolstered and sponsored by the federal government. Starting in 1934, there are all of these agencies and programs—the Home Owners Loan Corporation, the Federal Housing Administration, the FDIC insurance program—that loosened up credit and capital. All of a sudden, mortgage credit was abundant. Anyone could get mortgage credit. Blue-collar workers could afford a mortgage. A mortgage became much more affordable than renting in the city. So they all moved out to the suburbs.

The most important distinction for who could get these mortgages or not was race. They mapped out the country through racial zones. This was explicit, through government programs. This created the white suburbs, and created generational prosperity. It also created the black ghetto. The wealth gap existed before then, because of Jim Crow and segregation, but in the 20th century, these government credit facilities cemented the wealth gap for our generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 25, 2019 6:32 AM

R64 - "Yes. Your grandparents emigrated to take advantage of opportunity in a country with a promise of liberty and whose economy was made strong and prosperous by centuries of forced labor of African slaves."

Your assumption is that that economy was ONLY the result of forced labour of African slaves. American history, including its economic success, cannot be reduced to 100 years in the 19th century.

The fact is, the continent was fabulously wealthy in just about everything a country needs to become successful: size, water, game, timber, minerals . . .

Stating that anyone who came to America after the Civil War only gained any advantage out of it because of that one episode in American history is specious. It's not as if the cotton fields went on making money, was it?

The Industrial Revolution came along and used the cheap labour of later immigrants to build a roaring economy on starvation wages, too. As I said upthread, you might want to check into who was working in all those places like the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory or the mills and factories - including children.

Sorry - there is no way that argument can or will stand.

"The mills so near the golf links lay

That children at their work look out

To see the men at play."

The Jews aren't going to get reparations for two millenia of relentless persecution and black in America aren't going to get reparations from people who sailed into Ellis Island with what they owned in a sack on their backs one jump ahead of the Cossacks.

It ain't gonna fly. But it will help Donald Trump re-elected.

Ffs, turn the fucking page of history and get real about what needs to be done today. The past is done, for the Jews, for America's blacks - Native Americans if it comes to it are still at the bottom of the barrel.

Every inch of America belonged to them.

by Anonymousreply 86February 25, 2019 5:30 PM

Reparations came up in the Bernie CNN town hall. Bernie favours though to his credit he said depends what it means exactly. He seems to see reparations as addressing inequality. His support was a broad, undefined support.

by Anonymousreply 87February 26, 2019 1:22 AM

Just give everyone Reparation H.

by Anonymousreply 88February 26, 2019 3:20 AM

Why don't they just hand out $100,000 in cash to every American, single or family, earning less than $100,000 p.a.?

by Anonymousreply 89February 26, 2019 3:16 PM

[quote] Your assumption is that that economy was ONLY the result of forced labour of African slaves. American history, including its economic success, cannot be reduced to 100 years in the 19th century.

Slavery on the North American continent began no later than the 17th Century. It lasted for more than 200 years. It pre-dated the formation of the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 90February 27, 2019 11:25 PM

Just take it out of the bloated military budget and no one would feel a thing.

by Anonymousreply 91February 27, 2019 11:38 PM

One- if you talk to the many colors of the Caribbean people, they are all descendants of slaves but that’s just what it is. History. Two- everybody is a descendant of slavery. All over Europe and Asia and Russia, people have conquered other people, raped the women, and sold those conquered as slaves. That was the status quo. It wasn’t by color. It was because you were weaker than your enemy.

by Anonymousreply 92February 27, 2019 11:46 PM

"Gimme some free shit!" Per usual.

by Anonymousreply 93February 27, 2019 11:49 PM

I support reparations too. It will be good for white Americans. Black Americans, meh, they'll get some money, but whites will get back their souls.

by Anonymousreply 94February 27, 2019 11:49 PM

What about giving the descendants of slaves an annual tax credit based on the amount of their black ancestry? With the tax credit proportionally diminished for mixed race people and being eliminated for anyone with less than 1/8 African ancestry. Does this offend non-black people?

by Anonymousreply 95February 28, 2019 12:05 AM

Whites already have souls. They have no obligation to do anything just because they happen to share the same skin tone with some long-dead assholes.

by Anonymousreply 96February 28, 2019 12:05 AM

"White privilege" is the end-product of slavery. Reconstruction was supposed to right the wrong done to blacks but vengeful white people dismantled it as soon as it started.

by Anonymousreply 97February 28, 2019 12:08 AM

Should all White people pay reparations? What about the White Jews whose ancestors migrated post-slavery from Eastern Europe, they didn't have anything to do with owning slaves. What about Asian-Americans? Should they pay Black people reparations? They didn't own slaves either and they were/ are still being discriminated against in top universities among other institutions.

by Anonymousreply 98February 28, 2019 12:09 AM

sorry, its just more of her............. Im part Indian line.............. and its why she wont ever be president. She has no real judgement or political instincts. He ideals might be good and her sense of justice but that isnt enuf/

by Anonymousreply 99February 28, 2019 12:14 AM

r96, through inheritance, they also share the ill-gotten goods their ancestors benefited from racism and slavery. But gosh, we can't ever have any compassion for anyone about anything, ever. Selfishness and hatred, that's the Amerikkkan way!

Exactly r97, Reconstruction was followed by another century of Jim Crow.

by Anonymousreply 100February 28, 2019 12:14 AM

If we do pay reparations, can we then say 'get over it?'

by Anonymousreply 101February 28, 2019 12:16 AM

r100 we can't wallow in the past, it's unhealthy. Welfare, Section 8 and trillions of dollars in social programs have been more than enough.

by Anonymousreply 102February 28, 2019 12:19 AM

[quote] If we do pay reparations, can we then say 'get over it?'

Yes. Does that help?

by Anonymousreply 103February 28, 2019 12:21 AM

Let's make white people slaves to blacks for the next 400 years and redistribute the wealth. Let's see how fast they get over it.

by Anonymousreply 104February 28, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote] [R100] we can't wallow in the past, it's unhealthy. Welfare, Section 8 and trillions of dollars in social programs have been more than enough.

We're still living with the legacy of racism and slavery. We can't move forward without justice and restitution.

by Anonymousreply 105February 28, 2019 12:25 AM

Whites did a lot of fucked up things in the past but on the flip side WITHOUT whites, most of the world would still be throwing spears at each other and doing the booga-booga dance to their monkey gods while they gathered outside their mud huts. No whites, no civilization.

by Anonymousreply 106February 28, 2019 12:25 AM

[quote]We're still living with the legacy of racism and slavery. We can't move forward without justice and restitution.

LOL go tell that to Asians. They all hate you.

by Anonymousreply 107February 28, 2019 12:26 AM

[quote] Whites did a lot of fucked up things in the past but on the flip side WITHOUT whites, most of the world would still be throwing spears at each other and doing the booga-booga dance to their monkey gods while they gathered outside their mud huts. No whites, no civilization.

That's a racist conceit. White Christian colonialism has destabilized the world. We are still suffering the consequences. No one is suggesting that whites did not contribute to the world but there was clearly malfeasance in there too. Slavery was NOT necessary.

by Anonymousreply 108February 28, 2019 12:36 AM

Everybody's been slaves at one time or another. That's just the way it was.

by Anonymousreply 109February 28, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote] Everybody's been slaves at one time or another. That's just the way it was.

Cross-cultural slavery has had insidiously long-lasting effect on the U.S. Other populations who were enslaved were eventually allowed to assimilate into the majority culture. The assimilation of blacks has been prevented by means legal and illegal in the 150 years since slavery. The majority culture does not want blacks to receive equal treatment or achieve parity, that is evident in the resentment toward Obama and the election of Drumpf.

by Anonymousreply 110February 28, 2019 1:52 PM

R105 - In that case, you can stay where you are. History doesn't provide that kind of justice. You change what is today.

by Anonymousreply 111March 4, 2019 5:20 PM

I’m sure the reparations will be well spent...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 4, 2019 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!