Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does it say??

I bought a big chinoiserie wooden tray (unless it’s Japanese) in the thrift store ... and am now convinced I am RICH!

What does this say??? “Ming Dynasty” ... or “Made in China”?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2019 3:33 PM

Made in Murokawa.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2019 12:14 AM

On the right under Japan, it says "zettsu??" I have never seen the character underneath zetsu. It probably means something like "fancy good from Japan, made in Murokawa." This is a cheap souvenir from a town near Tokyo (probably).

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2019 12:18 AM

Actually that's not zetsu. I don't know what that word is on the right. I've never seen it. I will figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2019 12:19 AM

Make America great again

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2019 12:20 AM

Don’t trust what you hear here.

I posted a piece from Nagasaki, 1945, and was told it said “made in China”. It actually listed the company, near Nagasaki, that made it. They are still in business today and are 100 years old or so. Anyway, I got the wrong info here.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2019 12:21 AM

I am convinced I can buy a house with this.

Jealous, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote]R3 I don't know what that word is on the right. I've never seen it. I will figure it out.

Thank you!

Of course, will pay you for your time with all my newfound RICHES!!

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2019 12:25 AM

This could be from a lacquer shop in Okinawa that specializes in Shinto and Buddhist things. The bizarre characters under Japan might be an Okinawan name, which is why I don't recognize it (I do not think they are Chinese characters, because I have a basic understanding of Classical Chinese as well as advanced knowledge of Japanese). I don't think it is worth much, but you never know.

Of course get it properly looked at. I am the closest thing to an expert you'll get on a random board on the internet, not a pro at antiques.

Could be this shop, who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2019 12:26 AM

It says “ when drinking from the well , remember those that dug it.”

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2019 12:42 AM

Can I get a translation, please? R8 seems earnest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2019 12:51 AM

Antiques roadshow

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2019 12:54 AM

I’ve wondered if my Nagasaki vase might be radioactive. Probably too late now.

I once worked at a nuclear shipyard. Once a year, they would scan the offices for radioactivity, to make sure that a Homer Simpson-type didn’t drag radioactive waste back from the yard. My elder coworker had a 1970s watch with a glow in the dark dial from that era. It raised all these red flags and they made him leave it home, thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2019 1:07 AM

It says, “Never mix the milkh mit fleysh.”

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2019 1:14 AM

"In the ice box you'll find in a can some leftovers of moo goo gai pan"

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2019 1:16 AM

I think it says "Wan-tai" dynasty ... oh wait, make that "Tai-wan"

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2019 1:30 AM

It says “eat the moo goo gai pan and we will have the double chin dynasty

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2019 1:32 AM

“Thank you for being a friend”.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 1:39 AM

Says "Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh?"

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 1:43 AM

It say Sum Ting Wong.

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2019 1:48 AM

I love you R13. hahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2019 1:48 AM

It says: My Pussy Stinks...seriously!

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 2:35 AM

... and with my pussy you get egg roll!

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2019 2:44 AM

It says:

Chinese Japanese Dirty knees What are these?

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2019 2:49 AM

It says "Japanese BBQ Finger"

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2019 2:52 AM

Do you have photos of the front?

As others have pointed out, it says it was made in “Murokawa,” which is a town in Okinawa, so it could be Ryukyuan lacquerware (Ryukyu-shikki 琉球漆器). During the occupation, Ryukyuan lacquerware was popular among American troops stationed in Okinawa. Most likely your tray is just decades old.

The only lacquerware shop in Murokawa currently listed on Google is “Teruya Shikkiten,” which r8 linked to in his post, but I'm skeptical that’s the shop that produced your tray because Teruya’s main shop is located in Naha and they mainly sell Buddhist altar items. It's possible the shop that produced the tray is long gone.

R2 r3 I think it’s supposed to be “日本紀_.”

R10 That's "Kutani." 久谷 Kutani-ware fakes are common so beware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2019 3:27 AM

What's the character after murokawa? Looks like part of a name. The last one would be "zou" if it was part of a name.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2019 3:32 AM

Or does the last one just mean "product of" or some equivalent?

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2019 3:34 AM

R25, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2019 3:46 AM

[quote]r25 Most likely your tray is just decades old.

Okay. Then I am willing to drop the price to $25,000

pm me!

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2019 3:53 AM

日本紀 ??

That strange ?? Is definitely not a Chinese character.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2019 6:14 AM

It says "My pronouns are long/duck/dong."

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2019 2:49 PM

This just shows that white people don't know the difference between Chinese and Japanese. They all look alike, right?

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2019 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!