Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Cat Killed A Mouse

He is an inside cat, and infrequently gets rabies shots. Should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 11:43 PM

No, if he has his shots he will be fine. I guarantee you he has done this before this is just the first time you've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 10:53 PM

He hasn't had a shot in a few years. That's my concern.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 10:54 PM

OP, are you (G)(R)Umpy?

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 10:55 PM

Oh I feel stupid , I thought you wrote that he "frequently " had rabies shots. I think the point still remains though, mice seldomly carry rabies. Though if he's an inside cat you probably have a mice problem you are going to have to address. I adopted a stray a few years ago that probably hadn't had shots in years and was pretty much living on rodents and he's fine . If you're very worried you can take him to the vet as a precaution but I think it will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 10:58 PM

No worries. I had a housebound cat who killed a mouse in the apartment and she was fine. I did not take her for annual shots.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]OP, are you (G)(R)Umpy?

Dear God, no.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 11:03 PM

Mice seldom carry rabies.

The bigger concern is probably parasites if your cat ate the mouse.

Mine never eat the mouse, just deposit it where I can’t miss it to guarantee a shriek from a 50-year-old man.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 11:04 PM

^ Forgot link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 11:04 PM

Op, you should be proud of your lil mouser !!

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 11:05 PM

No, he was just showing it off proudly and batting it around. I'm just worried about him having been bitten.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 11:05 PM

My cat didn’t eat the mouse either. She just bounced the poor thing around a bit.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 11:06 PM

Toying with their prey.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 11:07 PM

I had a mouse years ago and my male cat who had been feral as a kitten just hid behind me when he saw it. The female went after it and killed it. She was fine.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 11:08 PM

What happened to g-r-umpy?

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 11:14 PM

His cat fed on his body after his roommate killed him, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 11:42 PM

Yeah, it’s a bad memory. We don’t dwell on him.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 11:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!