Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Petco to Stop Carrying Fancy Feast Products?

That’s what my husband said. He was just at the last cal Petco & they said they’re ditch g Fancy Feast because of artificial ingredients. My cats won’t eat anything else. And they love these Fancy Feast Filets. I totally need them in order to get my diabetic cat to take her insulin shots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2019 4:12 PM

Local Petco, not last cal Petco.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 10:20 PM

Just order them on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 10:20 PM

What R2 said.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 10:24 PM

Cats love these kinds of foods because they're like junk food. I won't let my cat try them because she will get addicted. You should try and get them on something healthier but also agree amazon for the diabetic cats pills.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 10:24 PM

Is that just a piece of tuna in a package with a picture of a cat?

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 10:30 PM

My cats won’t even eat non-fish foods which I’m sure is no good for them, but it’s better than watching them starve. I’ve tried ALL NATURAL INGREDIENT, NO GRAINS cat food and they won’t go near them. Plus, since when do cats eat peas & sweet potatoes, which I’m seeing in cat food ? At least Fancy Feast Pates are low carb. One of my cats was diabetic but was “cured” after being put on Fancy Feast pates. His blood sugar is perfect now.

I’ve tried beef, duck, chicken, turkey, rabbit cat food but.... no dice

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 10:31 PM

My cat loves smoked salmon as a treat. You should try that.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 10:32 PM

I used to call it FANCY FECES.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 10:32 PM

Oh yeah, and pork.

For some reason, they hate salmon

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 10:33 PM

r8 yeah, and don't you wish you hadn't?

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 10:36 PM

You probably need not resort to Amazon. Don't the Petsmart and Pet Express chains, and/or local firms (pet supply or supermarkets), carry Fancy Feast? And if you must order for delivery, can't you use Chewy.com? I'm not opposed to Amazon for the same reason Trump is (because Bezos also owns the Washington Post, which I love), but I'd rather not support the firm that drove so many local independent bookstores out of business.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 10:44 PM

Around here, you can get Fancy Feast at Pet Supplies Plus, PetSmart, Walmart, Meijer, Target, and Krogers (grocery). You'll have lots of options for brick and mortar if you're not a fan of Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 10:45 PM

R11, you beat me to it! Well said!

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 10:45 PM

Another vote for Chewy.com. Sign up for account and you’ll get frequent promo codes via email. Their delivery time is great.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 10:51 PM

My cats saw the commercial and now insist on Fancy Feast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 10:54 PM

I’m just surprised Petco is ditching Fancy Feast. It’s a huge seller nationwide. They’re going to lose a lot of cat owner customers.

They gave my husband coupons for some new food they’ll be stocking in its place.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 10:54 PM

If PetCo dropped the Fancy Feast line because of questionable ingredients, you might want to check that out before continuing to buy the same product from other companies and possibly continuing to hurt your cat.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 11:02 PM

I haven't had occasion to use Chewy.com but neighbors and the people at my vet's office love it. Someone told me that, if your pet doesn't like a food you've ordered from them, they'll refund the purchase price and ask that you donate the unused product to a rescue group or shelter, rather than requiring that you return it to them. Sounds like a good place to do business.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 11:06 PM

It’s true R18. Chewy supports many shelters and give a lot to animal charities.

I also like them because they carry a lot of hard to find products that my cats like.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2019 11:14 PM

Lots of Chewy promo codes here.

You can Google for more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2019 11:18 PM

Good to know about chewy.com. Going there now.

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2019 11:21 PM

There's a Petco at a shopping center a block away from me. Last week I remember seeing some new promotional on their window that said "natural." I didn't pay much attention because I don't shop there (Target and Walmart are cheaper). Out of curiosity, I checked out their website for Friskies wet food and got the message that they are discontinuing the product because it has artificial ingredients. Also searched for Cesar dog food and got the same message. It sounds like they're eliminating some of the most popular dog and cat brands in favor of "natural." I suspect that they Petco is going to lose remaining customers who don't shop online. In my neighborhood it's particularly stupid, because we have three independent pet stores that sell natural and grain free foods at very competitive prices.

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2019 11:45 PM

You're welcome, OP!

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2019 11:46 PM

Just go on Fancy Feast's website and use their store locator to see where it's sold locally.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote]Fancy Feast Filets.

You must be rich.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2019 11:50 PM

Petco has slowly been moving to healthier options. About the only good thing is they take returns. My cat loves kitty crack that Petco stopped carrying and I was forced into an expensive, healthier option that my cat would rather starve than eat. Petco took the food back with no issue.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2019 11:52 PM

OP said he needs the filets to get his diabetic cat to take her shots.

I’m not rich R25, but I buy what’s needed for my pets.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2019 11:52 PM

r25 they're only $2 apiece on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2019 11:52 PM

Just put out any food and they refuse to eat it fuck em - if they get hungry enough they’ll eat it.

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2019 11:55 PM

i order my fancyfeast christmas tree ornament every year

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] they're only $2 apiece on Amazon.

That's $2.00 for one snack. Sorry, that's expensive to me.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2019 1:51 AM

Another fan of Chewy

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2019 2:06 AM

It's a freakin animal, they don't live long so make em happy and buy the damn fancy feast if you can afford it. We kill ourselves with our food why should our pets be any better.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2019 2:18 AM

Does Chewy deliver to Canada?

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2019 6:01 AM

Pet Smart?

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2019 6:04 AM

Moron get your cat on REAL cat food like Weruva are you trying to kill him???

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2019 6:04 AM

In a letter from Petco’s CEO, Ron Coughlin, the retailer announced a plan to discontinue, and remove from store shelves, any dog and cat food or treats that contain artificial ingredients beginning in January of 2019 with a completion date in May.

Coughlin joined Petco as their Chief Executive Officer earlier this year and is already making big changes in the name of improving pets’ lives.

“We’re raising the bar and stepping out ahead of the industry. Not because it’s an easy thing to do, but because we believe it’s the right thing to do,” he wrote. “Our goal is better health and wellness for the pets we all love. And setting new standards for nutrition is just the beginning.”

This is a massive undertaking, but not the first big move by the major retailer to make feeding our pets easier and healthier. In 2014, Petco became the first national pet-specialty retailer to put pets before profits when they discontinued sales of all dog and cat treats made in China.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote] with a completion date in May.

Ah, so no discounting until then. I went to the Petco in my neighborhood last night hoping to find Friskies on sale, but it was still the same price. (before you hate me for feeding my kitty crack, I've tried Core Wellness and Dave's wet food in many flavors and she refuses them)

Aren't pet specialty chain stores like Petco supposed to have better prices due to the volume of sales? The Friskies is the same price next door at the grocery store right next door and 15 cents less at Target and Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2019 6:30 PM

Fancy Feces

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2019 6:33 PM

If PetCo is worried about your cat's health, maybe you should be worried, too. I'd be looking for a healthier, more nutritious food.

My dog began itching and scratching last year. I felt she was suffering from food allergies. I shop at PetSmart and replaced her food with better qualities, which means no wheat, soy or corn. I also make some of her meals as well. She stopped itching, lost some fat, looks trim and is energetic. My belief is that this diet switch will add years to her life. An accumulation of bad foods will take its toll on your pets (you, too!).

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2019 6:52 PM

If you run out of Fancy Feast, OP, feed your cat paté!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2019 7:05 PM

Really drama-OP, Fancy Feast is available at every grocery. I've even seen it at freaking Walgreens!

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2019 7:07 PM

So what is a good cat food? I just got a cat and she hates Royal Canin (looked straight at me and mines burying it), and Friskies. She will eat some flavors of Blue Wilderness, Nutra and Solid Gold.

I asked the vet and he was skeptical of any brand that has a lot of marketing like Solid Gold. He suggested Iams and Royal Canin. This cat hates Royal Canin with the heat of a thousand suns.

She’s pretty young and I don’t want to get her hooked on a bad food. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2019 7:12 PM

I should have said, I was feeding her Royal Canin Intense Beauty. Either she doesn’t want to be Intensely Beautiful or she figures she can do it in her own without any help from Royal Canin. She’s pretty cute already but I wanted to help her out because she was really skinny when I got her.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2019 7:16 PM

Yeah, those specialty foods are also much more expensive than Fancy Feast! Of course, Petco Hope's you switch! Grocery stores, Kmart, Target, Walmart carry Fancy Feast! I am glad Petco doesn't carry pet treats made in China anymore!!! Those were horrible--and I still see them in 99 cent stores!

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2019 7:17 PM

My cat also doesn't Royal Canin. She loves Core Wellness Turkey and Duck, though. It's grain free.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2019 7:17 PM

Petco should just change its name to Whole Pets.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2019 9:24 PM

I don't get what's artificial about the ingredients in their tuna filet's. Their website states:

"Skipjack tuna, tuna broth, celery powder, salt. "

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2019 9:34 PM

I have a vet appointment in the morning for my cat's senior wellness visit and will ask him what he knows about FF changing its formula. In the past he told me it's balanced nutrition and not to feel bad about feeding it to my cats. It's what he recommends for cats who have no appetite.

For the Fancy Feast fillet buyer, instead of $2 per package, how about poaching a chicken breast and giving that to your kitty? You could a week's worth of snacks out of that. My supermarket sells frozen salmon fillets for $1 each, I sometimes give my fella that as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2019 9:34 PM

Have you thought about trying some of the frozen raw foods available? My very fussy Pomeranian refused all dry food, but she loves her NW Naturals frozen raw food. The dog and the cat both love lightly boiled chicken livers, long-simmered chicken hearts, and plain broiled chicken thighs. Those are all dirt cheap.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2019 9:50 PM

I think Fancy Feast gets unjustifiably dumped upon by pet-food snobs. Its ingredients, even compared to a lot of premium brands, are generally pretty good.

For example, if the flavor is salmon, the first ingredient will be salmon. It won't be meat and/or fish and/or poultry byproduct. Nor will it be wheat gluten or corn (though some of the sliced-things-in-gravy varieties do contain wheat gluten).

Another point well worth noting:

A few years ago, when many pets died and massive pet-food recalls occurred because of melamine contamination, Fancy Feast was one of very few brands that did not require a recall. Purina (Fancy Feast's parent company) makes its own products, rather than outsourcing to the manufacturer that contaminated dozens of other brands with poisonous ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2019 10:20 PM

Pet food snobs? Nevah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2019 10:30 PM

My cats will not eat chicken, beef, duck, turkey, rabbit or salmon. Only tuna, cod & whitefish. Occasionally they’ll eat shrimp, but not often.

One of my cats is so strange that she will only eat Temptations treats if she finds them lying on the floor or in a bowl. If I take Temptations out of a bag or box in front of her, she refuses to eat them. She only eats them if she comes across them already in a bowl, not having seen or heard them coming out of a container.

Two cats were diagnosed with diabetes. One was a mistake — he only had high sugar because he was so upset on the way to the vet. Now we have the vet come to the house. The other cat who was diagnosed is diabetic , but when we switched to Fancy Feast patè, her diabetes became controlled. It’s very low carb. The vet just had me drop her insulin dose from 3 units to 2. I think eventually she won’t need insulin anymore. She is allowed to have only 3 Temptation treats a day.

My male cat is skinny as a rail & eats like a hog. He’s been tested for everything & is always negative. My vet says he’s perfectly happy & I shouldn’t worry about him being bony & perpetually hungry. His kidneys, pancreas & thyroid are fine. He has no FIV or anything. I give him lots of Temptations to try & keep him from getting even skinnier. All my cats are indoors.

My sister fed her cats nothing but Friskies dry food & they lived to be in their 20s. Unfortanately, my cats won’t touch it.

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2019 10:34 PM

I googled felineliving.net for their top 10 list of cat foods. On the wet food list, the best is Wellness Core, followed by Nature's Logic, Halo and Ziwi Peak. There is a lot of cat care information on the site. A couple of people above mentioned poor results with Royal Canin. It's no surprise as it is poorly rated.

A couple of brands I use for my dog are Blue Wilderness and Nutrish. Also as mentioned above, cooking things like chicken livers is cheap and healthy for your pets. A carrot and pea combo, and potatoes, are also good to mix in. Once you understand what foods are good for your pets, and what to stay away from, you may be making the same tasty and healthy meals for them and yourself.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2019 10:36 PM

Grandma lucy's freeze dried foods. Walmart currently has a typo on its site for 4 pounds bag for 12 bucks. usually closer to 30.

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2019 10:50 PM

[quote]One of my cats is so strange that she will only eat Temptations treats if she finds them lying on the floor or in a bowl.

That's cute, R53! A friend has a cat who is quite obese (and lazy, as well). To help him get SOME exercise, she hides his treats here and there, so he can only eat what he finds by himself.

One of my cats used to be like yours, but with water. When I filled his water dish in the morning, he would turn his nose up at it. After my shower, though, he loved jumping into the tub and lapping up the bit of water that collected around the drain. I guess he figured hunting was better than being served.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2019 10:51 PM

These wet foods for your pets are comparable to snack foods for kids. My dogs and cats eat a high-quality dry food but they always get a nice heaping spoonful of Friskies and Alpo because I consider it a snack and they love the stuff.

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2019 10:56 PM

My cats love FF so I use it to entice them to eat the healthy, no grain stuff they don't like as much. They never get FF alone, it's always mixed into the healthy food. Between two cats, they get no more than a 3oz can each week. Same applies to Friskies, another favorite. I stick with the pates for FF and Friskies. They're the best of the junk food. And FF Classic Pate is grain free though they don't advertise it that way.

At the end of the day, you feed what your cats will eat. Some cats, I know mine do this--would rather starve than eat something they don't like. It goes against all survival logic but that's cats for ya. I leverage their love of the junkier food to get them to eat mostly healthy food. And a can of FF or Friskies wet food is better than any other fancy dry food. The latter is what my cats would eat all the time if they had their own way.

And OP, yeah, Petco not carrying FF has literally zero impact. FF is sold everywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2019 11:09 PM

Fancy Feast classic is grain free and my cat gets it sometimes because he is incredibly picky and needs to eat even if it's not the best food out there. It'll be irritating to not get it at Petco because they have different flavors than my grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2019 11:13 PM

R51,. I was giving my cats Purina One dry at the time and they all got sick, and Purina was cagey about it when I tried.to report it. The lady on the phone actively refused to take the lot number of the bad food down even though I wasn't asking for a refund or anything, she just kept saying the food was fine and there was nothing to report.

I absolutely do not recommend anyone give their pets Purina. The experience was eye-opening.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2019 11:25 PM

[quote]"Skipjack tuna, tuna broth, celery powder, salt. "

That's also my douche recipe.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2019 11:37 PM

I was at Walgreens tonight and they have Fancy Feast. I read the very long ingredients list, and one of the ingredients is PORK PLASMA. Can somebody tell me what this is? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2019 4:34 AM

r43 My cat loves Orijen. They make a freeze dried meat treat that she's addicted to also.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2019 7:27 AM

Pork plasma is the plasma from pig blood. It's thick and can be used as a binder on wet food, and also keep it from drying out.

by Anonymousreply 64February 24, 2019 12:13 PM

Yum!, R64

by Anonymousreply 65February 24, 2019 1:50 PM

My cat keeps kosher!

by Anonymousreply 66February 24, 2019 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!