Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

An irreverent but true video on Alcoholics Anonymous.

It's funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 11:29 PM

shit dog!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 8:02 PM

There is virtually very little empathy in 12 step meetings. It's all about condemn, reprimand and mock.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 8:03 PM

Obsessive OP, could you be fucked, please, to provide a summary of these consecutive 8-minute videos?

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 9:07 PM

I went to Al-Anon as a teenager. The group was pretty helpful. Psychoeducational. We had a leader with a license though. Many years later I went to a few meetings and was surprised at how weird the whole thing was. My local chapter was suddenly broke because somebody stole all the money from the safe - why weren't they putting the money in the bank? Then I found out that the group was also burgled less than a year before.

At least 3 guys tried to get in my pants in the first month. I didn't have sex with any of them.

My new Al-Anon group had drifters from NA and AA. Since it was an open meeting, nobody could tell these blowhards to leave or to shut up. They definitely dominated the conversation. When I was done with the group, I mentioned in a meeting that the addicts' dominating the group was pretty similar to how victims of addiction were talked over and ignored in their daily lives. Of course I was told this was inappropriate.

Then I went to a new group. It was suburban, but snobby. And again, it was clear that despite protocol, that two people ruled the roost at this meeting. The "discussion" always turned to them. And the newish rules about cross talk mean that there can't be any meaningful discussion of anything. Everything is just your opinion, your experience. Pure solipsism.

At this suburban meeting, I asked two people to sponsor me, and they both turned me down without an explanation, which is when I stopped going to the meetings. For some reason to this day, 9 years later, they still send me their update newsletters.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!