Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Key West

I’m thinking of moving there (I’m in the hotel industry) and although I’ve been there several times and loved it I’d like to hear an insider’s perspective.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 12:53 PM

I cannot imagine living there.

All tourist places are horrible to live in. And Key West is overrun with cruise ship trash.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 6:45 PM

It seems really scary if a hurricane is headed your way. But I think I would love to live there, if I had the money.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Almost bought a place in Keywest. Glad we did not. Moved to SouthWest Florida instead...because..

Hurricanes can take your house. Kinda pricey. Not much beach sand. Nothing to do except party and drink 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 6:59 PM

[R1] I'm stopping over there on a cruise. Nice to know I can be complete trash!

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 7:03 PM

Agree that it's overrun with cruise ship trash. Before the cruise ships, it was gay and quirky with good restaurants. Now it's filled with tacky tshirt shops, cheap fast food and scooters.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 7:03 PM

It is up to you to find things you can do. There is honestly many things to do if you look. We all have to look for our own hobbies and friends wherever we live.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 7:03 PM

Even if there are no good beaches, it is mainly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 7:05 PM

I would definitely become an alcoholic if I lived there.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 7:19 PM

It's great, though surprisingly Republican (there's a big Trump base in the Keys). It's expensive and everything moves on island time. More and more it's overrun by cruise ship trash. But there's still a lot of unique stuff down there. Every three or four years, you have to run for your life.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 7:24 PM

I've been going there since I was a kid, and sometimes think about moving there as well. It's a very small town, although very charming. Hurricane season is a thing. I don't know. I go back and forth on this thought myself, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Beautiful drive down from Miami!

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 9:01 PM

It's too small and too far away from civilization (assuming anything in Florida can be classified that way.) But if you want to get away (and stay away) from it all, it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 9:45 PM

it was great in the 70 s and 80 s as a gay mecca but began to slide..........it sits at about an elevation of 4 or 5 ft and eventually will be submerged. So in my opinion fron a climate change refugeee perspective its not a good choice. There arent many sand beaches. The restaurants are way above average in my opinion.

I was there the last time for a full week in september and it was just hotter than holy hell. And Sept is not the hottest month. I was bored after a couple of days. We would go out and eat at 11 00 pm and take a cab because it was so hot you would just be soaked with sweat if you walked more than a block.

Its still got a funky vibe but unless you are happily hooked up in a long term relationship and dont have to work for a living, and can afford to lose your house to climate change, I would think twice about it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 10:10 PM

It is hetero hell now. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 10:13 PM

Is he still married to Kim Kardashian?

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 10:25 PM

I hope you're over 50. There is not much of a social scene for young people.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 10:28 PM

I lived there from 2004-2007.

This is where I learned that a tourist economy is not for me.

Even the smallest threat of a hurricane would leave the island empty for a couple of weeks, and that was just the threat. Add in a close hit and your pockets are emptied in no time.

I really don't recommend it, if you are in the tourist industry. You have just a few months in the winter to make all the money you'll require for the rest of the year. People will tell you that special events and cruise ship shoppers will float you through the year, but that is NOT true. Cruise ship people spend very very little money on the island, and special events are subject to overwhelming bad weather forecasts.

Your main tourists are from the mainland of Florida, Ohio and Michigan. Everybody cancels travel plans with even a whiff of bad weather.

I hope this helps, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 10:29 PM

OP here - the rental prices are insane unless you go to Newtown which I’ve driven through and it’s nasty. It seems the only way to live there is to be wealthy and buy a house in the historic district and only live there in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 12:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!