Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York: Guggenheim, MoMA or Whitney?

I have a few free hours in town and have seen the Met already, several times. Which one of the three I listed would you visit and why? I tend to like abstract expressionism, color field painting and modernist sculpture. Less interested in surrealism and pop art.

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2019 6:36 PM

The Whitney is doing a Warhol retrospective right now, if that helps in your decision.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 5:39 PM

Poll please.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 5:42 PM

R2 I didn’t do a poll because I was interested in the “why” along with the “where.”

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 5:43 PM

Moma - bigger and more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 5:45 PM

The Warhol at the Whitney is worth seeing. But, personally, I found the Mapplethorpes at the Guggenheim right now positively mesmerizing in their simplicity. And the Hilma of Kilnt is not my taste but undeniably a visual feast.

I vote Guggenheim with Whitney a close second....

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 6:11 PM

Thanks, R5. I am a big fan of Mapplethorpe’s work. I saw that both the Guggenheim and MoMA have Brancusi exhibitions right now too - another favorite.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 6:19 PM

MoMA, assuredly.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 6:23 PM

If you go to the Met, you can also get into the Met Breuer (Mad & 75th), where they have their modern and contemporary art collections.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 6:25 PM

My pleasure, OP. The Brancusis at the Guggenheim didn't move me as much as the collection at The Art Institute of Chicago, but if you are a fan maybe you'll enjoy them more than I did. I hope you managed to catch the Brancusi-inspired Modigliani sculpture on exhibit at The Met right now--I was entranced!

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 6:40 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that MOMA has announced that they will completely close and reorganize and expand over the summer. So if you are interested in seeing it as it always has been traditionally organized to tell the history of Modernism now is time to see it. It will also have more of a permanent collection on display than the other two, which are more special exhibition dependent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Choosier people chose Jiff!

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 6:50 PM

Not interested in the Frick this time, R11. But thanks.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 7:10 PM

Which did you pick, OP?

by Anonymousreply 13February 24, 2019 11:10 PM

Guggenheim. Whitney is sooooo over run with tourists and hipsters it’s awful now. Being so close to that wretched high line just makes it the more awful.

by Anonymousreply 14February 24, 2019 11:22 PM

What did you think?

by Anonymousreply 15February 24, 2019 11:54 PM

I find that the Whitney has the most interesting exhibitions, from the conceptual point of view. MoMA tends to be the Top 40 of modern art though I do like to go there from time to time. The New Museum on Bowery is similar to Whitney in terms of what kind of modern art they tend to champion.

by Anonymousreply 16February 25, 2019 12:04 AM

I don’t need to see a Warhol exhibit in my lifetime. I did go to the Whitney and while the exhibit was interesting, to some degree, I’ve seen enough Warhol to last me a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2019 12:13 AM

MoMA, among many wonderful paintings...the room full of Rothko's sublime creations

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2019 12:33 AM

Back when I was young, and it was free, I used to go to the Modern every other day or so. I worked nearby.

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2019 12:59 AM

R13 MoMA! Great choice. Thank you for all the help deciding.

by Anonymousreply 20February 25, 2019 5:56 PM

Yeah MoMa is the only one that is truly top notch. The others can be interesting but are not epic or stunning - just curious. The architecture is more groundbreaking and high quality than the art.

by Anonymousreply 21February 25, 2019 6:30 PM

The Neue Galerie - MoMA PS1 if you’re catching a flight.

by Anonymousreply 22February 25, 2019 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!