Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is it when you don't miss your partner?

We have lots of fun when we're actually together, but when he's gone, honestly, I don't even think about him. I just live my life, work, do my thing, etc. He travels for work occasionally and I realize I truly don't give a flip that he's gone. But, if you ask me if I love him, I think I do. We have a great time, good sex, lots of laughs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2019 7:24 PM

this happens to me too, lately. I Think this is what "adult" love looks like. i'm 42.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 1:25 PM

Move along, OP ...............

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 1:26 PM

I love him, but he snores so I'm actually able to sleep when he travels.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 1:27 PM

This is probably the best that love is. I hate when I hear these fake couples "Oh my god, I can't stand it when he's gone." etc. I call bullshit. Numerous couples who say that over-the-top crap break up soon - no surprise.

I think that is love. If it's something so much greater, it only exists in Disney films.

Just enjoy what you have. Don't overthink it. I had the same thing once, and fucked it up.

It's good enough, and sounds better than what 80% of the population will probably ever have.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 1:28 PM

it means you're a bitch

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 1:28 PM

It’s called living your life.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 1:38 PM

Ummmm R4, I love it when I'm with my partner (together 17 years so maybe that's a factor?). When I have a day off I wish he could too so we could do things together.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 1:38 PM

R4 how long have you been together.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 1:39 PM

That happens to me as well, but it's sort of natural when you've been together for 15 years, as in our case. He goes away for a couple of days to visit his family or for work and, honestly, I actually enjoy those couple of days off. I'm on my own schedule, if I feel like making something for dinner that he doesn't enjoy, I can do that, if I feel like watching something on TV he doesn't care about, I can do that, plus, it's kind of nice being alone with your own thoughts every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 1:55 PM

It seems normal to me, op.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 2:06 PM

Don't overthink it and don't compare yourself to what you think other people are feeling or doing. If you're both happy with the arrangement, that's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 2:09 PM

If he were gone for good, you would grieve from time to time but your situation is different. Some of us need some time alone and enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 2:13 PM

It’s healthy. Feeling like he “needs” to be around is called co-dependency.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 3:31 PM

This is probably a good thing. I really don't think anyone is wired to be around the same people 24/7. It's bound to drive anyone nuts. Granted, there are the clingy types who must be around people all the time, but I've never understood them. Is it really THAT bad to pick up some dinner and eat it alone in your apartment/house while watching TV? To me, that sounds like a heavenly evening.

My partner is definitely the more clingy one in the relationship and hates when I'm gone, but I enjoy having a little time to myself or with other people.

I think it helps that, one time, he wouldn't answer his phone or texts for almost an entire day and I started freaking out, thinking something terrible had happened to him. Guess that means I must really love him.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 4:09 PM

I think it's a sign of a secure, confident relationship.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 5:57 PM

I agree with R15. You do need space from each other sometimes. It's healthy. We have this idea in our culture that two people are supposed to merge into one. It's unrealistic and harmful. You shouldn't feel something missing when he's gone - you're your own person. If you enjoy your time together, laugh a lot and still have great sex, you're doing everything right.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 6:03 PM

My husband and I have been together for 12 years. At the beginning of the year, I moved to a different part of the country for a career opportunity so we are currently managing a long-distance relationship. We knew it would be tough, and boy oh boy it definitely is. It's just hard when you count on that sort of everyday emotional support, not to mention the physical aspect of a relationship - not just the sex but just the everyday physical contact and affection. I can go days now without touching another person (other than a handshake or whatever) and I miss it.

I know that's not the exact topic of this thread, but this is just to say that I used to be somewhat like OP's description - I'd like it on occasion when he was gone for a few days, nice to have the house to yourself, etc. But it's easy to take that kind of absence for granted and even enjoy it when you know it's only a couple days until you see him again.

(Our current situation should work itself out in the next year or so, but in the moment it's pretty tough. I haven't seen him for more than a week and it's still a full week until I'll see him again. Ugh.)

by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 6:52 PM

[quote]What is it when you don't miss your partner?

Over?

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 6:55 PM

Same here R17. We both travel a lot for work and live apart part time. Being around him always ensures I don’t get stuck in a rut in my head. He always cheers me up when I’m with him. I also find there is a little adjustment period when we get back together after a few weeks apart. Like after a day, there is irritability which dissipates after 3-4 days.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2019 7:01 PM

OP--your relationship sounds OK/fine to me. Some people just enjoy solitude sometimes. The no snoring part alone sounds like something to appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2019 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!