Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think it would be very DAMP living in this apartment building on the river in London?

I'll link the details @ R1.

Needs a ton of work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2019 7:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 1:12 PM

I don't know about dampness, but I love it. Cheerful and bright. Lots of character.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 1:16 PM

I'd say it gets cold and damp during winter. The energy rating is E, which isn't great. You'd probably need to put money into insulation and reinforcing the windows. That said, it looks very nice and aside from structural improvements I wouldn't do much to it, apart from the bathroom and kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 1:31 PM

That looks smashing, MissMary OP. Love to live there.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 1:44 PM

Faces south so that's a plus.

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 1:58 PM

Love it! I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment at the moment, but it's a bit out of my budget. It needs a fair few thousand spent on it to bring it up to scratch.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 2:11 PM

I love that balcony facing the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 2:14 PM

I'm very pleased you all think it's so nice.

I just went down there to sniff around.

It was very lively, partly to do with the fact it's been such a sunny and warm afternoon. There are two pubs there on the river but further along so they're not intrusive. Spoke to a tattooed gay with his Westie.

There's a steady rumble from the traffic on the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 3:27 PM

Beautiful. Seems cheap compared to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 3:29 PM

It's not in the centre of town, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 3:43 PM

It’s totally charming

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 3:54 PM

Never quite understood what is considered the “center” in London. Piccadilly, the City, Kensington? Everything is so spread out.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]Never quite understood what is considered the “center” in London. Piccadilly, the City, Kensington?

Piccadilly, R12

This is one mile west of Kensington.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 4:28 PM

Love everything about it except that heinous kitchen. A total gut and rehab for that room. The bathroom is okay, but I'd do some upgrades there too. Everything else I'd leave alone.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 5:35 PM

I love it. Does the river smell?

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 5:51 PM

No, it sometimes smells salty, of the sea.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 6:36 PM

It was cute along there. There are some grand houses and some really old adorable cottages with crooked front doors, that look.

There's a park. Not very nice. Flat. Near a fast busy road.

There's also a bit further along a very old pub that really had the feel of an old smugglers inn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 6:40 PM

and the other side on the river

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 6:43 PM

I wouldn't live on the Thames in London. With global warming, the estuary will come up too with the rise in the ocean. The Thames barrier is not big enough for the projected ocean rise. Lots of waterfront will be heavily damaged in a big storm with high tides sometime in the next decade if projections hold true.

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2019 6:45 PM

I would take that over a 2 BR in Brooklyn (which would be as much if not more).

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2019 6:58 PM

You've got a point, R19. I have thought about this in the past and thought it better to go for a hilltop residence. Notting Hill would be double the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2019 7:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!