Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WeWork

Interesting (and long) NYT story on the company.

Have any DLers worked at a WeWork? Lived in a WeLive?

Share your experiences

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 10:54 PM

Sorry, I don't work.

by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2019 12:15 PM
by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2019 2:38 PM

MeWork is now my style

by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2019 2:45 PM

People sitting around trying to disrupt things. This is where ideas like dumping bikes and scooters all over town with no centralized hub are born.

by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2019 3:46 PM

Is it illegal to dump those scooters in the trash?

by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2019 3:50 PM

The NY Times magazine article is surprisingly poorly done.

He only talked to the PR team, not to anyone who actually worked in one (other than a woman the PR team introduced him to.)

But no feedback, positive or negative, from anyone who actually worked there. Would have been interesting to hear from someone who liked it better than their former corporate office and someone who gave it up because there were too many distractions.

Maybe even mention that a host of competitors have sprung up and what those competitors see as their advantage over WeWork.

I have had clients who have offices in WeWorks and have spent an entire day in ones in NYC. The space is nice but noisy, there are few people over 40, there are dogs, the free coffee is actually good, it's probably a smart move if you're a small-ish (under 10 people) startup and you're planning to grow. But for a freelancer, it seemed like the main benefit was it gave you a social life, kind of like living in a dorm at college vs an apartment off campus.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2019 3:57 PM

I can't picture what the hell it is....but to meet a client or a vendor to get work done...it sounds like awful somehow.

by Anonymousreply 7February 21, 2019 4:03 PM

Not really R7

There are offices and there are open spaces.

If you are a company, you can rent an enclosed office space that can also include dedicated conference room space plus private offices if you want

There are "open" conference rooms of various sizes that can be booked for meetings. They're generally a lot nicer and better equipped than corporate conference rooms and you don't need to call in 4 IT guys when even the three 20somethings in the room can't figure out how to get the PowerPoint to show up on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 4:07 PM

I don't trust them and I think they're going to crash spectacularly.

by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 4:47 PM

What don't you trust, R9?

by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 4:57 PM

There is no "work" in "we." Rather, just lots of sitting around over day-old artisanal avocado toast and taking selfies.

by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 5:03 PM

I don't see how WeWork will keep itself afloat, they're over $1B (!) in debt.

by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 5:05 PM

Why would you work for a company that won't even buy it's own office space?

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 5:06 PM

I interviewed for a job in the corp office. They are growing too fast and consequently a little disorganized. Nice people, but I got the impression that the work never ended and they probably give a lot of lip service to that work life balance bullshit. The place was pretty frantic when I was in there.

Wework has done whatever it takes to "own' the co-working arena and my guess is sooner rather than later they'll crash. Spending way too much money too quickly. The result is that they do have the marketshare, but they overspent to get there and now they have to start thinking about how to make it profitable. SO they'll start squeezing people on fees and cutting back on services.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 5:07 PM

Cruising in the bathrooms?

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 5:08 PM

I feel like all the women who work there must wear like the floppy millenial-pixie hat and be laughing eating salads.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 5:41 PM
by Anonymousreply 17February 21, 2019 9:54 PM

Never heard of them until a recent Broad City episode where Ilana rips them off and starts Shework, an outdoor smoker versions at those wired charging hubs that popped up all over NYC.

by Anonymousreply 18February 21, 2019 10:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!