Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The short shelf life of the It girl

The It girl of the early 2000s, Keira Knightley, is now playing mom roles. Anne Hathaway is going the same way Current it girl Lily James is churning out movie after movie, striking while the iron is hot. In 5 years she'll be all but gone. Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock were able to survive in the business by turning their it girl careers into something else. But not many are this lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 3:24 AM

You rang?

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2019 11:53 PM

I admit, the girls aren't that important to me. I probably would not recognize Lilly James.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2019 11:54 PM

What's freaky is how alike these "It Girls" look. Add Daisy Ridley to the list.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2019 11:56 PM

True, R3. Hollywood has a certain type.

Natalie Portman's it girl years are coming to an end, too.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2019 11:58 PM

Clara Bow was the original IT girl way back in the 1920's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2019 11:58 PM

Not sure that Lily James counts as an “it girl.” Only three movies in 2018 and one of them was the Mamma Mia sequel? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2019 11:58 PM

Clara was beautiful

Daisy Ridley is fug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2019 11:59 PM

Natalie Portman had a surprisingly long run as an It Girl, her first leading role was "The Professional" and that was 25 years ago. She kept playing leads and even won an Oscar during that time, and all without ever developing more than marginal ability as an actress!

Scarlett Johanssen has also had a long run, and she's an even worse actress. Still, she'd probably be gone by now, if she weren't in most of the Marvel films.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 12:02 AM

R7 Yes, she was beautiful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 12:03 AM

Is this one done yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 21, 2019 12:10 AM

Really, more of an attitude than anything else. In MY experience!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 21, 2019 12:19 AM

Brooklyn born Clara Bow’s mother was a psychotic who finally had to be institutionalized. One night young Clara woke up to find this woman holding a knife to her throat.

Hollywood must have seemed like a [italic]cake walk[/italic] after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 21, 2019 12:29 AM

I'm not going anywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 12:48 AM

I'm the all but forgotten Katharine Ross. My husband is nominated for Best Supporting Actor this year.

by Anonymousreply 14February 21, 2019 1:01 AM

"It Girls" are starting younger and younger. If they're playing leading adult roles at 16, they're agent can make money off them for 15 or 20 years before they're too old for the hot-girl roles! And I hope that's the only real reason that Hollywood is starting these girls out so young.

I'm glad to see Emma Stone break out of the It Girl mode, and prove herself as a real actor. Every single one of them tries, but only 1 in 100 actually pulls it off.

by Anonymousreply 15February 21, 2019 11:00 PM

It's the scripts!

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 11:02 PM

Julia embraced her middle aged looks. That's whys he still gets parts. She's not clinging to some long lost ingenue status, like Nicole Kidman, who thinks she can still play Satine. She was terribly miscast in Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!