Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Instagram "stories" vs. regular posts

Annoying. You can send a "like" like a regular post. You have to write something instead. Why do friends make you do that?

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2019 6:11 PM

Various reasons. Mostly:

—Ephemeral whims that people don’t want to be on their timelines forever.

—General attention seeking.

—Some slutty people post things that will go away before they are reported.

—It can be a way to get someone’s attention by signaling something to them that will vanish. For example, Jussie Smollett (ALLEGEDLY!) using a disappearing IG story to tell his hired faux-attackers where he was and when, without ever directly contacting them.

—Also, there are filters, music, animated GIFs etc on the stories that aren’t available for regular posts.

—Also also, you may be on vacation or at a gallery and want to post 600 photos but know no one wants to see 600 photos on their timeline and so you get it out of your system with stories that are collected in one place and disappear.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2019 10:33 PM

See also Aaron Schock, who posts story photos with his actual prostitute friends to say, “hey, had a good time” but without posting them as forever posts. Or like, “hey, here I am soaking in a hot tub naked come get me boyssssss!”

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2019 10:35 PM

R1 - Thanks! I think you're right on all but especially attention seeking. You can't tell who sees your posts unless you "like" one but you apparently can track who looks at your stories so that satisfies your ego on some level. Or crushes it.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2019 10:38 PM

R3 For people who like the filters that make them look a thousand times better than they really do, those are only available in stories. But I do enjoy posting amusing (to me) little series of photos with music clips and animated GIFs.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2019 10:41 PM

I just figured out that you can “mute” people’s stories, which is a godsend. I have friends I like to keep up with but I don’t want to see their stupid pink circle at the top of my IG feed every single day.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2019 10:45 PM

[quote]Also also, you may be on vacation or at a gallery and want to post 600 photos but know no one wants to see 600 photos on their timeline and so you get it out of your system with stories that are collected in one place and disappear.

IG stories are essentially a “day in the life of” approach whereas posts in the feed are intended for longevity. I rarely story anything unless I’m somewhere super amazing, and even then I limit it to just two or three. No one needs a play-by-play of my morning latte, my desk at work, a random cloud, my hangnail, the temperature gauge in my car or endless selfies. That’s just obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2019 10:51 PM

I know a few friends who only story now. It's like you only get a glimpse of them. Doing nothing but trying to look glam.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2019 11:35 PM

Celebrities are especially bad about this, particularly the B-listers and C-listers. Their Insta obsession is usually inversely proportional to their fame.

by Anonymousreply 8February 21, 2019 12:05 AM
by Anonymousreply 9February 21, 2019 1:06 PM

I hate that all the filters and stickers and graphics are turning it into a Snapchat clone. If I wanted Snapchat I would have used it in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 10February 26, 2019 6:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!