Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Night at the Garden

On February 20, 1939 (exactly 80 years ago today), 20,000 Americans rallied in New York’s Madison Square Garden to celebrate the rise of Nazism – an event largely forgotten from American history. A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN, made entirely from archival footage filmed that night, transports audiences to this chilling gathering and shines a light on the power of demagoguery and anti-Semitism in the United States.

A NIGHT AT THE GARDEN was directed and edited by Marshall Curry and was supported and released by Field of Vision. The film was nominated for a 2019 Academy Award for Best Documentary Short; it was also an official selection at the Sundance Film Festival and was part of a special screening and panel discussion at the New York Film Festival. It was released on 22 Alamo Theater screens across the country and at The IFC Center in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 2:07 PM

Here it is on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2019 8:08 PM

"On February 20, 1939 (exactly 80 years ago today), 20,000 Americans rallied in New York’s Madison Square Garden to celebrate the rise of Nazism – an event largely forgotten from American history"

The good old days!

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2019 8:08 PM

It's a MAGA rally!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2019 8:11 PM

They just wanted to make America great again. Leave them alone.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2019 8:14 PM

My Mother has sheepishly admitted maybe, just maybe, going to a Communist Party meeting in NYC at this time, “because they had food there”. I wonder if it was really a German Bund meeting, which would have made perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2019 8:27 PM

This was horrible and I wish I'd never seen it, but thank you, OP. We need to see it.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2019 8:29 PM

Trump's dad was likely in attendace

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2019 8:29 PM

Will Trump host a commemorative event in the White House tonight? Stephen Miller's rolodex must be super busy.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2019 8:45 PM

I've talked about his before, but my father and his friends used to go to some of the American Bund rallies in Philadelphia. They were poor city kids, and the Bund guy would hang around outside their high school passing out free tickets and streetcar tokens to get them to the rally. The big attraction was free beer with free food a distant second--both big lures for 16 year old kids. There would be a band, dancing, beer and food, and then the Nazis would get up and give some speeches. I'm not so sure they weren't held at Valley Forge?

Anyway, none of them took the whole thing seriously, and my Father and all his friends were in the military two or three years later, but he always gave them credit for putting on a pretty good picnic.

He always said that the Bund was nothing compared to a priest named Father Charles Coughlin who had a radio broadcast that was out and out Nazi propaganda, and was enormously popular in his neighborhood back in the day:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2019 8:49 PM

Gee, who does this sound like? --------------------- Initially, Coughlin was a vocal supporter of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal, but became a harsh critic of Roosevelt, accusing him of being too friendly to bankers. In 1934, he established a political organization called the National Union for Social Justice. Its platform called for monetary reforms, nationalization of major industries and railroads, and protection of labor rights. The membership ran into the millions, but it was not well-organized locally.[1]

After hinting at attacks on Jewish bankers, Coughlin began to use his radio program to broadcast antisemitic commentary. In the late 1930s, he supported some of the fascist policies of Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Emperor Hirohito of Japan. The broadcasts have been described as "a variation of the Fascist agenda applied to American culture".[2] His chief topics were political and economic rather than religious, using the slogan "Social Justice".

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2019 8:59 PM

R9, thanks for that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2019 9:38 PM

This same thread was posted a couple months ago, troll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2019 11:07 PM

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 13February 21, 2019 2:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!