Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MADONNA VS JANET

The thread to end all threads. Who do you love more? Why? Most iconic songs?

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2019 12:50 PM

Michelle Branch

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2019 11:20 PM

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2019 11:24 PM

this won't be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2019 11:32 PM

We bought a zoo

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2019 11:33 PM

And this will be different from the 1000 other threads where JanBot shows up, posts crap, and is humiliated, how?

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2019 11:34 PM

r5 I am trying to lure her out so I can send a paddy wagon to her doorstep

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Even as an adolescent on [italic]Good Times[/italic] and [italic]Diff'rent Strokes[/italic], Janet was a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2019 11:37 PM

Imagine you're at a video store in 1993. The new releases section has both [italic]Poetic Justice[/italic] and [italic]Body of Evidence[/italic]. Which do you choose?

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2019 11:38 PM

Janet sang?

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2019 11:44 PM

I grew up during this time and I don't remember any big rivalry between Janet and Madonna. They were just two pop singers, even though I remember a lot of black people thought Madonna was black and she was played on the R&B stations.

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2019 11:46 PM

R8, actually I'd choose A League of Their Own, which made way more $ and got much better reviews than Poetic Justice.

Imagine you're in a record store in 1983. They have both Madonna's hugely successful debut album and Janet's flop debut album. Which do you choose? Chances are you have no choice because why would a record store carry Janet's album in 1983 when it wasn't selling.

Imagine it's 2005 and you want to buy the album that went #1 in more countries than any other since Madonna's True Blue album. That would be Madonna's Confessions album, because Janet's 2 albums during that time both flopped.

Imagine you want to see a concert in 2003, 2008, or 2016. You can see Madonna or Janet... oh wait, oops Janet had to cancel all her shows. Luckily Madonna's your only option there, so you're guaranteed a great show.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2019 11:52 PM

R9, WhisperCoo!

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2019 12:01 AM

I honestly can't name a Janet Jackson song. I can name a lot of Madonna songs. I wish I couldn't, but you can't change when you were born.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2019 12:02 AM

That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2019 12:08 AM

I’d choose the woman who is an Oscar nominee, the woman who was the first female to have five consecutive #1 albums on Billboard, whose 30 year old song was the catalyst and the soundtrack for the feminist uprising in the last presidential election, who is one of only three artists today with a #1 album in each of the last four decades, whose first three films debuted atop the US movie box office, who is a NY Times Bestselling author, whose debut world tour is still the biggest world tour in history, whi was the first woman to debut a single in the Hot 100 top 10, who signed two of the biggest record deals in history twice in one decade, whose seminal 1989 album is just as timely and relevant today on a topical level as it was when it was released, who is about to be inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2019 10:03 PM

I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame already decided this for us when both were eleigible for induction. Madonna was inducted first try well ahead of Janet who was pasted over quite a few times before her eventual induction.

by Anonymousreply 16February 21, 2019 12:08 AM

And they finally got it right. Black women are typically dogged when it comes to the Hall, but third time was the charm in Janet’s case.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2019 12:29 AM

Janet Jackson should be in the dancing hall of fame. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis should be inducted into the Rock hall of fame, it was their music.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2019 1:33 AM

Who are these women?

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2019 1:41 AM

Patti Labelle

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2019 2:31 AM

[quote] Imagine you're at a video store in 1993. The new releases section has both Poetic Justice and Body of Evidence. Which do you choose?

[italic]Unforgiven.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 2:32 AM

I would choose Rebbie, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2019 2:34 AM

God, that pic at R15 reminds me too much of Janet Jackson’s pedophile brother. Grotesque. Too bad the bitch chickened out and turned away when Michael’s victims could have used her voice and strength.

For that she will always be a substandard human being, and no bought publicity or awards can wash away her cowardice and failure to address evil.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2019 2:58 AM

Both of them are legends that I love, but Madonna takes the cake for me. 36 years of mostly great pop music, amazing performances, groundbreaking videos, imagery she stole from those old Hollywood hags, her bitchy sense of humor, her love of Latin men, her loathing of hydrangeas, even her messy Instagram posts, ugly grills and bad plastic surgery. She and Janet are the blueprint for everything the modern pop star tries to be and fails at becoming. There will never be another like her and I'm glad she's still here. I'm glad she didn't self destruct.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote]it was their music.

Except that it was a collaborative effort, with Janet usually writing the lyrics while JJ TL developed the melodies, or all three sharing all the duties. And JJ TL are already in the Songwriters HOF.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2019 10:51 AM

Imagine someone pointing a gun to your head to force you to buy multiple copies of Rebel Heart so it can debut higher on the charts (only to plummet the following week)

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2019 11:05 AM

At least Madonna is bilingual. Imagine you're lost in London and need to ask for directions. No brainer you'd ask Madonna, who speaks the language.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2019 12:14 PM

Yes. "Take this thing back to Portugal!".

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2019 12:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!