Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Y Tu Mamá, También

For a lot of gay and bi guys, myself included, this movie validated a lot of our formative years, which consisted of bromances that sometimes turned into romances but mostly, like the movie, turned into a one night drunken fling from which the friendship never recovered.

I've talked to a number of guys over the years about this, we were all in similar situations--closeted, masculine enough that we could pass, a friendship that got very intense very quickly ... and the lots of guilt and blaming ourselves in the immediate aftermath for "seducing" our friend and ruining the friendship, questioning whether there ever was a friendship or just a crush, wondering how we'd have reacted if our feelings were returned, the eventual, years-later realization that there was no "seduction" and that the other guy was just as curious, just as invested.

Those instances (there were three) happened in high school/college/right after college. But there have been a few times since where I could feel that sort of relationship starting, see all the signs and decided to pull back because I could see where it was heading.

Wondering if other have been in the same situation and what your thoughts/experiences were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2019 2:28 PM

I feel cheated that we never got a gay movie out of those two.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2019 2:15 PM

I'd get cancer just to fuck Diego and Gael together.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2019 2:18 PM

Cock teasers !

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2019 2:19 PM

Love Y Tu Mamá, También

I think the movie Threesome went in that direction as well, with the macho guy afterward becoming uncomfortable to the point of ending the friendship

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2019 2:27 PM

I had a similar drunk sex session with a straight friend. We both laughed about it the next morning and went out for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2019 2:44 PM

One of the benefits of fluid sexuality as an IN thing-- no more guilt, just some pride at being cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Was this recently, R5?

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2019 2:57 PM

How close a friend was he though R5?

The relationship in YTMT--and in similar ones I've described/had--is the guys are BFFs in that way that's far more common when you're still in school or right after, before responsibility takes over and you really can spend a whole lot of time together.

So when the sex happens, it's tougher to just laugh it off--it sort of becomes clear that there was a lot more going on than just being "buddies"

Also, when neither of you is out, that changes the dynamic completely, as before the sex, you're just two straight buddies who spend a lot of time together (common enough) and now that one or both of you is gay and clearly turned on by the other ... it changes things.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2019 3:38 PM

I've had similar experiences R5, where it's a guy I'm friendly with but not all that close to, and then it's easy to shrug it off because there's not a whole lot of emotion invested.

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2019 3:40 PM
by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2019 6:52 PM

Many so-called straight people are really straight-mannered bi people, so the situation in this movie can happen.

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2019 7:39 PM

I'm not sure that was the point though R11.

It was about how a bromance can lead into something else and how neither of them realized that the other was the object of their desire. Or maybe one of them did.

I wonder if Guaron had a similar experience in childhood. Seems almost too autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2019 11:22 PM
by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2019 1:46 AM

i tried so damn hard to suk the huge ! str8 dik of my buddy, but never got it. still think about that anaconda too this day, ten by six....

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2019 1:49 AM

How do you know what it looked like hard R14.

Or is this DL humor?

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2019 1:50 AM

he walked around naked in the gym at school , his nickname was the whip....word was he was fucking 3 of the hi school teachers, females

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2019 1:53 AM

That movie was hot. I remember renting that movie from blockbuster in high school. Bad education was hot too

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2019 1:55 AM

Thank God I was always as gay as a goose. There was never any question in my working class neighborhood what I wanted from my "friends" . How willingly they gave it too !

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2019 2:00 AM

OP this happened to you 3 times? You really must be a gaybro .

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2019 2:27 AM

LOL R19. I played sports and I'm not particularly femme. But I'm a film and music nerd and don't really like beer, so not many DLers fantasy guy.

I think these situations are far more common and that in most instances (as in the movie) both guys go on to lead primarily hetero lives, though the lost friendship and what might have been probably stays with them. ("What could have been" meaning when you are that close to someone and you have sex and realize you're attracted to each other, you can either decide to be a couple or you can end the friendship. It's hard going back to being "just friends" even when both of you are gay .)

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2019 3:22 PM
by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2019 1:23 AM

I liked it a lot, one of those unique movies that are daring and deep, even though it's just a road movie with two horny teenagers and a mature woman.

Mexican filmmakers, I think have a different perspective on life. It's everything from love, sex, joy sadness laughter and death, it's whole. Biutiful and Birdman were great movies too.

Never really saw a del Toro movie, I tried to get through Cronos but couldn't understand all the hype about it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2019 7:43 AM

Poor miserable stunted tard OP.

by Anonymousreply 23March 20, 2019 8:07 AM

[quote]There was never any question in my working class neighborhood what I wanted from my "friends" . How willingly they gave it too !

Details please.

by Anonymousreply 24March 20, 2019 8:44 AM

YTMT also focused on the class distinction between the two best friends. That too formed a barrier to a lasting close friendship between the two.

by Anonymousreply 25March 20, 2019 9:57 AM

Emmanuel Lubezki was the DP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2019 10:23 AM

[quote]YTMT also focused on the class distinction between the two best friends.

Yes. It even mentioned that one was cut and one was uncut.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2019 11:46 AM

OP must be part of that first cohort of American kids who never got sex education.

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2019 2:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!