Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Warby Parker

Worth it for prescription eyeglasses?

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2019 4:36 PM

No. Cookie cutter place with low skilled labor. You have to wait a long while for the glasses because they are sent out to be done via mail order.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2019 5:04 PM

They're still somewhat less expensive than most opticians' retail outfits, so yes.

Just be prepared to be wearing the same style frames as 10,000 other millennials.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2019 5:04 PM

Ps: I did go there. The glasses cannot be altered at all.no adding tints nothing.

I’d say they are a step above welfare glasses.

I returned the ones I bought for a full refund. Even for the eye exam which wasn’t correct

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2019 5:05 PM

I love Warby Parker. The only place I’ve found that does $99 - no added fees for lenses, tinting, all the other bullshit that doubles the prices at other opticians. Great style - for my taste. And I have 2 nearby - so easy to try on. Also if you don’t have eye insurance, their eye exams are cheaper than most other places I’ve found.

Only negative is the long wait time. So Ive learned to keep an extra pair in case I lose/break a pair.

One of the few places that lived up to the hype for me. Mainly because of price and styles that work for me.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2019 5:09 PM

I went to a new eye doctor last week. Everyone in the office was really nice. The ophthalmologist was one of those throwback lesbians with a curly bowl cut who looked like she'd side stepped over from somewhere between 1960 and 1989. She corrected a fucked up script this other eye doc with a roadkill toupee gave me and they're fixing relensing my glasses, which are bespoke Tom Davies because my fucking head is abnormal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2019 5:16 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I go to Sam's Club for my contacts and eyeglasses. You can get designer frames cheap. There is pretty much little to no markup on eye stuff. Plus, you don't have to be a member to use eye services.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2019 5:19 PM

When my laser eye surgery started being less effective after about 20 years, I got a prescription and eye exam and did the Warby Parker online thing, first, taking my chances with a pair, and then getting the box of 5 to try on at home.

I don't think they are great lens-wise, and style-wise they are ugly and look like everybody else's but at least I didn't have to try them on in public and I just wear them for driving and at the movies, where they don't seem to help that much.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2019 5:34 PM

I've used Warby twice. I find the glasses kind of cheap but they were the cheapest for my heavy (-8.00) prescription with thin lenses. Even Zenni was over $200 by the time I added all the stuff Warby includes free.

Apparently online glasses are such a threat to my Opthalmologist that they refused to give me my pupillary distance on my prescription so you couldn't order glasses online.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2019 6:19 PM

Friends who wear glasses say it's a great option for your back-up glasses, the ones you keep for when you lose/can't find your regular glasses. The styles aren't amazing but they're decent enough that you don't feel like you're wearing your dad's frames.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2019 6:24 PM

I have three frames from them!! But I did get progressive frames from local eye optician. Everything is perfect!

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2019 6:28 PM

R8, Warby Parker has you send a photo of yourself and they can measure your pupillary distance from that.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2019 6:30 PM

Cheaply made, overpriced, the service sucks, the employees could not be LESS helpful.

NEVER AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2019 6:32 PM

Your local Eye doctor will measure you , then they own the prescription. Have and eye exam while you are at it. They do not mind measuring alone as well. It should be free if you are a patient there already without exam. At least that what mine did. Plus, the lenses offered better quality!!

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2019 6:33 PM

I have a pair of single vision reading glasses from them and I like them, but I won't get my progressives from them. They say they have some algorithm to determine what pupillary height to set the progressive corridor at, but I don't believe them. 1 millimeter can make a big difference when it comes to progressives. I have two pair of progressives, one are my regular glasses and the other are sunglasses, and the sunglasses are set with the pupillary height set 2mm lower for driving.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2019 6:40 PM

I am always amazed at people who buy glasses from them. When I buy glasses through a store, they have to adjust the frames and the lenses to fit my facial shape; how do you get that done if you buy the glasses one line?

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2019 6:42 PM

How much can you expect to pay for a pair of glasses in the US?

A nice pair of frames with high quality progressive lenses? Plus the exam.

I'm interested to know.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2019 6:44 PM

R8 here. I actually went to the WP store and they used the machine just like the my opthalmologist did it.

He sells glasses, but the cheapest ones were $400 and the most expensive upwards of $1k for designers. Pass on that.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2019 6:46 PM

Again, Eye Doctor's office adjust and heat adjust frames a s well when you buy the lenses from them (free)

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2019 6:47 PM

The other thing I always think is that glasses are something I wear every day of my life, so if there's anything in my wardrobe I should spend money on, it's my glasses. They're the first thing people see.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2019 6:50 PM

My eye doctor friend loves Warby Parker and recommends it all the time.

They have very fashionable glasses for amazingly cheap prices (like glasses and frames for $100!).

Living in NYC, is easy for me to go to the Warby Parker stores an try them on. I currently own one pair which looks great and hasn’t fallen apart or anything for the last two years.

It’s insane what other glasses cost.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2019 7:04 PM

R18, every eye glass shop will heat adjust glasses for free whether you bought them there or not.

It’s an accepted courtesy in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2019 7:05 PM

R16, prices are usually anywhere from $400 and up.

When I visited Spain, I found really nice glasses for so cheap. The same pair in the US would be three times as expensive

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2019 7:07 PM

I have purchased $99 single-vision eyeglasses and sunglasses from WP, before they started opening brick and mortar stores. No problems. I still have them as extras. Then I realized that I had to give in and get progressives, which I wanted to get in-person, so I skipped WP for those.

When WP put a brick and mortar store in my city, I went in and they put progressive + photochromatic lenses in one of the frames that I'd previously purchased as plain single-vision. It was still cheaper to do than doing the same at a Luxottica-owned store. The WP photochromatic part goes dark and light just fine, but I don't like their progressives as much as others that I've tried. The progressives that I have purchased from 2 different Luxottica-owned stores have better ranges, less head-nodding. It's not problematic enough to return these to WP, but I think I'm done there.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2019 7:08 PM

R15, , WP will send you 6 pairs of glasses to try at once. If you like a certain pair, you get glasses made with that pair.

Once you buy glasses in a store, the only adjustments they do is to make the glasses stay up on your face. No one adjusts the frame or the glasses after they’re made

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2019 7:10 PM

R14, my partner just bought progressives from WP and says they are just like very other progressive he’s ever bought. They cost him $300 while his previous pair, from another glasses store, cost $700

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2019 7:11 PM

Yes. My frames with progressive lenses cost 40% less than my last pair from the Luxotica monopoly two years ago. And they work just as well.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2019 7:12 PM

Measuring pupillary distance is easy. Have someone put a ruler up to your two eyes.

In millimeters, measure the distance from one edge of the pupil of one eye to the same edge of the pupil of the second eye.

If you live near a WP store, they will measure it for you

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2019 7:13 PM

I just ordered a pair of glasses Zenni-optical online. The final cost for the single vision is $65. They will come in the mail soon. Let’s see what turns up

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2019 7:16 PM

Zenni was fine..Good price.. Only do sunglasses there

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2019 7:17 PM

I’m amazed people are willing to be be suckered in by old school ophthalmologists charging hundreds for glasses. Even LensCrafters are a rip off. I love Warby Parker because they exposed what crazy markup there was in the eyeglass industry. Like Uber vs the shitty overpriced local taxi services. Never had a problem - and will never pay more then $99 for a pair ever again.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2019 7:46 PM

LOVE WARBY!!! But again, your local will do lenses!! All adjusts, perfect match for superscription...etc. and guess what? to progressives are usually cheaper when you tell them what you are doing.. Most will do exam cheaper when you tell them you do not have vision insurance (scam)

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2019 7:55 PM

R22 Thanks for your answer

. I just bought a pair in Italy. 250 €. I thought it was expensive, but I guess it really wasn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2019 9:24 PM

I've had good results from eyeglasses.com. But I get my scrips from my opthamologist, my lenses haven't changed appreciably in years, and I've been getting the same general style for years and know what looks good on me without having to try on.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2019 9:37 PM

OP, I bought glasses from Warby Parker and Zenni Optical. Zenni Optical has much better styles. Warby Parker glasses all look very similar.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2019 9:39 PM

R27 If you were responding to me I wasn't referring to pupillary distance, I was referring to pupillary height in relation to the lens where the midpoint of the progressive corridor is set so when you glance down the lens you have added power for reading and up for distance correction.

That midpoint needs to be at the right height, along with being at the right PD is that you are getting the right correction from the bottom to the top of the lense

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2019 11:00 PM

Parker's frames are made in China.

No disrespect to my brothers and sisters in China, products are manufactured in China because of its inexpensive to do so, not because the quality produced there is superior.

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2019 1:38 AM

I have 4 pairs of eyeglasses and 1 pair of sunglasses from Warby Parker, and I love them all. I’m not near a store, so all were ordered online.

They’re very well-made, and I have no clue what others mean when they call them cheap. They’re not. Stylistically, I don’t see any difference between WP and anyone else. They seem current to me.

Unless you have some crazy prescription, I highly recommend them. For the price of one pair at a local optical place, you can have 3 or 4 pairs from WP.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2019 3:54 AM

[quote]I am always amazed at people who buy glasses from them. When I buy glasses through a store, they have to adjust the frames and the lenses to fit my facial shape; how do you get that done if you buy the glasses one line?

Adjusting frames to fit the shape of your face is fine, but I think it’s all bullshit. Real talk. I’ve been purchasing online glasses for almost a decade from just about EVERY online store. Wayyy before there were TV commercials or adverts about them. I’ve accumulated easily over 40-50 frames because they are so affordable--my friends actually think I have a problem. But If I like the shape, I'm using their 3D option and uploading my photo to see how I would look in them.

And of all of the frames that I’ve purchased (even with my sizeable head ), I think I’ve gotten MAYBE a total of 10 that were ill-fitting and that was really MY fault because each website provides the measurements of the frames. Most sites have a return policy that will give half what you paid or credit etc..

Personally, I think sites like Warby Parker, glassesusa.com and some others are really pricey compared to Zenni or Eye Buy or Costal.com (which can get expensive).

I used to get all that extra shit that’s offered thinking I really needed it, but at this point, the only xtra I pay for are thin lenses because I have a FUCKED UP prescription and MAYBE additional UV crap or tinting (if I want to turn them into sunglasses) but for the most part my purchases are pretty basic and inexpensive. Also, most of the time you can Google shit like “Costal.com coupon codes” and you can find a discount code. Won’t be a huge percentage in most cases but…. the average I pay for frames including taxes and other fees around $60-70. And once you make a purchase, they constantly send you email specials.

I should probably unsubscribe. ANYWAY, I love buying online glasses.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2019 1:11 PM

R37, If you think they are so well made, take them to an Oliver Peoples store and compare the quality. That is the look Warby Parker is trying to emulate.

by Anonymousreply 39February 20, 2019 12:39 PM

[quote]They’re very well-made, and I have no clue what others mean when they call them cheap. They’re not. Stylistically, I don’t see any difference between WP and anyone else. They seem current to me.

I can also attest to the quality of the frames R37.

BUT you have to put things into perspective. If you’re the kinda mook that constantly sits on or drops their glasses or even lays them someplace where something could fall on them--instead of taking care of them like an adult--they’re probably not going to hold up as well as an overpriced pair from skeevy-ass Tom Ford. I mean...that’s just common sense.

by Anonymousreply 40February 20, 2019 1:11 PM

Consumer Reports says people rate locally owned shops highest, and that's how I got my glasses for most of my life (I've been wearing them since I was seven.) But the locally owned chain that I used for years got bought out by Lenscrafters, which is so corporate you might as well be getting your glasses online, and another locally owned standalone shop where I used to get a discount through my employer got busted for dealing opioids, so I just started getting them online as a stopgap. They all come from the same sweatshops so you should just get them from wherever they sell the kind you like, and if you're not getting good service from your local shop you might as well buy them online.

by Anonymousreply 41February 20, 2019 1:22 PM

Price and decent style - Warby wins hands down. I don’t care about quality because I lose or break them anyway. Or get tired after a year. Warby prices will keep me coming back. The best deal going.

by Anonymousreply 42February 20, 2019 1:30 PM

R39, I checked out Oliver Peoples online. Nice selection, but their prices are 3 and 4x that of Warby Parker.

I think I’ll just stick with WP.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2019 7:38 AM

I have been buying my glasses from Warby Parker and Classic Specs for the last ten years. I have also bought some from my regular optician. I can't tell the difference, really.

I like the preppy look. I've always gotten the lenses made at my local optician because I have a progressive prescription, and none of the online places used to do progressives. Now they do, but I've grown disillusioned with progressives. My next pair, I'd really like to get bifocals—yes, the ones where you can see the line—in a metal frame, and I can only get those at a regular optician.

I did buy a pair of single-prescription sunglasses from Classic Specs. Dark green lens in a dark brown tortoise frame they call Havana Tortoise. Each is a really good color for me, but I'd like to get bifocals next time.

With progressives, it seems as if I'm looking through the wrong prescription at times, particularly when I'm watching TV. I never had that problem with bifocals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2019 10:20 AM

What is the one that is now doing commercials with the owl saying you could get two pairs for 99 cents?

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2019 10:35 AM

R44, be advised: visible bifocals will make you totally unfuckable.

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2019 2:54 PM

I know, r46. Sometimes, though, seeing is more important than being seen.

by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2019 2:57 PM

Oliver Peoples quality has worsened significantly. I recently bought from them and the tortoiseshell pattern was so poorly applied that parts of the frames are incongruous to others.

by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2019 3:08 PM

I LOVE my glasses from Fetch. Same business model, but profits go to charity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2019 3:21 PM

Last glasses I bought was from VisionWorks. It was a BOGO sale. With $150 frames I got progressives with anti-scratch, anti-glare, and HD. Total came to $800. But with the BOGO, each pair (other was sunglasses with same add-ons) it came to $400/pair

Can you get all those "extras" I like from a place like Warby Parker?

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2019 3:30 PM

R50, anti-scratch and I think anti-glare, but not HD. I'm not sure what that is.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2019 3:37 PM

And it doesn't cost extra.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2019 3:37 PM

What is HD?

Also, I wonder if you can get more services at a Warby Parker store. There's one in my town now. I think I shall look into it. Here are their retail locations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2019 3:48 PM

Thanks, R51. HD is supposed to be high definition (could be just sales b.s.). I need new glasses this year. I'll have to check Warby Parker out

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2019 3:49 PM

R54, I bought from Fetch and Warby Parker. Turned out Fetch had the type of eyeglass frame style I was looking for. WP is good, too.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2019 3:51 PM

R50 - might get some of those extras. But for me, that defeats the purpose. I love knowing it’s $95 total - the end. Walk in, pick it, order it, done. Over the years, I found all those extras didn’t make much difference. And I feel the markups are such a scam.

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2019 4:23 PM

I do like progressives. The anti-scratch is helpful. The anti-glare REALLY works and is noticeable when driving at night (it cuts down on brightness and eliminates those little halos around oncoming headlights). It really helps since most headlights and streetlights these days are LED or some other energy efficient lighting.

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2019 4:32 PM

[quote]most headlights and streetlights these days are LED

How are those LED headlights LEGAL?

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2019 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!