Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Foods you liked back when you were younger.

I used to like a donut. Now I can’t stand the smell of them.

by Anonymousreply 289March 18, 2019 4:45 AM

Hot dogs 🌭

by Anonymousreply 1February 15, 2019 4:39 PM

Jello

by Anonymousreply 2February 15, 2019 6:07 PM

Fast food -- their pandering to kids and teens really works.

by Anonymousreply 3February 15, 2019 6:11 PM

Bone marrow

by Anonymousreply 4February 15, 2019 8:57 PM

R4 you must be a dog.

by Anonymousreply 5February 15, 2019 8:59 PM

Donuts and French fries.

by Anonymousreply 6February 15, 2019 9:26 PM

Cereal. The nastier the better. Fruit Loops. Count Chocula. I also loved Jolly Ranchers.

by Anonymousreply 7February 15, 2019 9:29 PM

I used to eat 2 dicks daily but now I'm happy with 1 every other day.

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2019 9:34 PM

Marshmallows.

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2019 9:46 PM

Those little wax bottles filled with colored sugar water. They looked like tiny soda bottles. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2019 9:52 PM

Most snack cakes and mainstream candy.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Playbox cookies by Peek Frean's.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2019 9:57 PM

Tinned strawberries

by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2019 9:58 PM

Another vote for marshmallows. Loved them as a kid. Can’t stand now

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2019 10:00 PM

Bone marrow is " the best" part of ossobuco r5. My parents used to cook that a lot, I can't even look at it now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2019 10:01 PM

Jarred tamales! Such a treat. Found them in a grocery as an adult and was so happy, until I tasted them. Ewwww.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2019 10:03 PM

And Treet! Don't know why mom never bought Spam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 15, 2019 10:07 PM

Sardines in oil.

by Anonymousreply 18February 15, 2019 10:08 PM

Baloney.

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2019 10:17 PM

^ baloney. Oh my god! Good one. Disgusting now. Did you ever do fried baloney Ina pan where it raised up like a mound? Ugh

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2019 10:19 PM

Cotton Candy.

by Anonymousreply 21February 15, 2019 10:21 PM

R20 not often. My favorite way to eat it was not cooked, on toast, with mayonaisse and lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 22February 15, 2019 11:34 PM

I only ate Banquet dinners a handful of times at friends' homes back in the '70s when they still came in the aluminum tins. They were magical things and my mother refused to buy them despite how much I begged. I never bothered to try them as a young adult; by then Lean Cuisine became the go to frozen entrees Finally in my 30s I tried a couple. Not good. Not even remotely close to what I remembered

by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2019 12:01 AM

When I was a kid, my siblings and I loved French Silk pie. My grandparents would get one on special occasions (Thanksgiving normally) and we'd wait not-so-patiently throughout dinner for it. Had it a few years back and couldn't believe how awful it tasted. Even just typing about it is making my skin crawl. The only way I can accurately describe the flavor is "shrill."

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2019 12:01 AM

Fun Dip, especially that weird essences of vanilla candy stick that you dip with. Shamrock shakes too.

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2019 12:17 AM

Sugary cereals. But now that I know what sugar does to us well that's off the diet. Bread is too unless made with low carb bread. Because processed carbs are really bad for us too.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2019 12:23 AM

Cock. It sounds and looks fun but eating it and smelling it now is gross.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2019 12:28 AM

I wonder how many of these food disconnects are due to a decline in the quality of the ingredients as opposed to our more sophisticated adult palates. It's somewhat puzzling that a French Silk pie could taste so bad, but if real dairy has been replaced by some oil substitute and real cocoa by some chemical flavoring then it makes sense. It's obvious in the case of McDonald's burgers when they began to use fillers instead of 100% beef. Olive Garden likely went to cheaper ingredients/suppliers because the soup and bread sticks just don't taste same as they did in the '90s when the soup/salad combo was a decent lunch option. I recall reading an exec saying that they used the same "recipes," which may well be true, but it makes no difference if they went to cheaper ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2019 12:32 AM

Cheez in a spray can on triscuits

Those cheap, frozen "chicken cordon bleu" things that came in single packaging

Cube steaks

And not having a sweet tooth at all now, I loved little Debbie snack cakes (zebra stripe ones), sno-balls, and Cap'n Crunch oops all berries. I was also smoking a lot of weed back then though

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2019 12:48 AM

I agree, R28: quality has diminished significantly. My food item is a prime example: Milk. As a child, I drank it with every meal, every day. Now, I only use almond or cashew milk for my cereal and I cannot stand the idea of drinking milk at all. My Mother, born in 1939, told me that milk when she was a child was rich and creamy, and produced butter that was a gift from God Himself. Mom said her mother used to sit a container of milk atop the kitchen table overnight, and in the morning it had a terrific layer of cream that was so delicious! Try doing that with the whitewash they call milk today!

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2019 12:50 AM

[quote] I used to like a donut. Now I can’t stand the smell of them.

I knew a lady who had coffee and half a donut in Capitola once.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2019 1:05 AM

Pop tarts. The frostier the better.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2019 1:11 AM

Strawberry milk. I would add three heaping spoonfuls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2019 1:17 AM

Mallomars. It was handy that they came in a twin pack so my sister and I could each have our own little box. Wouldn’t go near them now.

I went mad for rye bread as a kid. We lived near a great bakery. Now I have a hard time finding rye bread as good as that was.

I also had a thing for fried shrimp. Does anyone remember Chicken Delight (“Don’t cook tonight, call Chicken Delight?”)?

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2019 1:20 AM

Mustard and bread sandwiches. Had to be French’s.

by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2019 1:22 AM

Zingers, which were basically twinkies covered in faux raspberry gelee and coconut

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2019 1:28 AM

Braunschweiger. Loved it as a kid, gags me now.

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2019 1:31 AM

Oscar Mayer Bologna, Underwood Deviled Ham, Vienna Sausages. Loved them all when I was very young but now my stomach turns at the thought of eating them. I can still eat Spam every once in awhile though.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2019 1:33 AM

Ugh, bone marrow is disgusting, r4. I accidentally ordered it once in Paris. Bones, salt and toast. Worst.meal.ever.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2019 1:33 AM

I loved hot dogs and pork and beans on Saturday night at our house. And on the way home from school we always walked passed this little mom & pop store where we would buy Hostess Twinkies, or cupcakes, or those little fruit pies. We'd eat them on the way home and arrive with our face and hands smeared with chocolate and sticky fingers. We liked those moon pies too: miniature round chocolate cake with white marshmallow filling.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2019 1:35 AM

I'm old too R34 and I remember and loved Chicken Delight. To this day I'v never had better fired chicken and their ribs were also delicious and tender, not too sweet or spicy and they had good fries. I love that the dinners came with dinner rolls and not biscuits and with a little thing of cranberry sauce. When I was a kid we ordered from them at least once a week.

Milk these days seems like water with white food coloring. I'd buy organic, grass fed whole milk and it still had no taste and was as thin as water. I no longer buy milk. Today's cream is like what milk used to be. Somehow even when the cream was removed from the top of the bottle of milk, back in the good old days, the milk underneath was still rich and creamy. WTF are they doing to the cows, the organically, grass fed cows that makes the milk so shitty?

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2019 1:49 AM

I liked drinking blood.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2019 1:50 AM

We used to make fudge every couple of months, I loved the candy thermometer and the settings of hard ball, soft ball, etc. It was always delicious and better than anything bought in the store, except maybe those fudge places at the shore.

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2019 1:57 AM

Fig newtons

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2019 3:40 AM

R28 I think a decline in the quality of ingredients very well could be part of it. I don't know where my grandparents got the pie (presumably from a Perkin's or Baker's Square), but they were likely never super high quality to begin with. Regarding my last experience eating it, I was writing somewhat hyperbolically. It tasted as I had remembered, but it was definitely one of those "way too fucking sweet" issues. But the taste was essentially the same (although it probably had been 15-20 years since I last had it, so my memory could be off). In that case, regardless of the quality of ingredients, even if it were made by some fancy french bakery, I still wouldn't have enjoyed it as there is a point where something just has way too much sugar. Similar to what you said about a decline in ingredients: we have a higher-end restaurant chain here in my state and they used to make the most awesome banana cream pie. I don't even like banana cream pie and this stuff was awesome. Just a couple months ago I was eating there and decided to get it. It tasted off and not nearly as good as I remembered. One of my friends is a bartender there and I asked her about it when I saw her. She said they just switched the filling from a banana cream made in-house from scratch to some generic pre-made banana-flavored filling. That was a major letdown.

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2019 5:05 AM

Creamed corn. Loved it when I was a kid, now BLECH.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2019 10:26 AM

Chicken Delight people, were you from New Jersey?

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2019 10:32 AM

Frozen clam strips, I loved them as a kid with tatertots, now they taste like fried cardboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2019 10:45 AM

R28 and R45 I was a Design Manager for a global food company and I can tell you that in many of the prepared foods some of the natural ingredients have bee replaced by artificial ingredients to extend shelf life, lower cost and promote stability. These have an affect on taste. Items such as chocolate covered bars may not contain real chocolate, it has to say on the package chocolate flavored, ice-cream products may have some percentage of cream removed to the point they have to call it frozen dairy dessert not ice-cream. This is why I always read the ingredients to see what is in product.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2019 10:57 AM

Yeah R49 is right--chocolate flavored isn't chocolate, so read the box or wrapper! R47, I remember Chicken Delight and I am from California!!! Don't cook tonight, Call Chicken Delight. We deliver!!!

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2019 11:21 AM

R10 I remember the little wax bottles of colorful sugar water. I think I bought them from the ice cream man. That chewy wax was squishy more like a toy than food. Fun times I don’t know if they’re still around.

by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2019 12:15 PM

R51, I remember those!!! And R36 do you remember the same cakes only with white gelee and coconut flakes, and we called them Snowballs? OMG, when I think back to the crap we used to eat I wonder how we ever managed to stay alive. The 60's and 70's were prime for chemical additives in food. They thought it was a good thing. I remember Chicken Delight too. And frozen TV dinners. My mother loved them. Frozen pot pies too.

by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2019 12:22 PM

I used to think that a bag of Funyuns and a can of root beer made a world class snack. I also adored Morton's Honey Buns and Sara Lee Pecan Coffee Cake. I can't even imagine eating any of those again, so over processed and over sweet. My sweet tooth disappeared long ago.

by Anonymousreply 53February 16, 2019 12:22 PM

Hamburger Helper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 16, 2019 8:43 PM

Meat

by Anonymousreply 55February 16, 2019 8:59 PM

R34, we might be related, maybe you're from the tri-state area? You wrote about Mallomars (I purchased a box today - I still love them). As a native of Long Island, too "went mad for rye bread as a kid."; even in restaurants, it was so good. I definitely ate fried shrimp - it felt so grown up to order.

And yep - there was a Chicken Delight (“Don’t cook tonight, call Chicken Delight?”)? in my hometown.

Now, I used to love Kraft Macaroni & Cheese... oh man, I can't believe I would willfully empty that orange dust into a pot and create "cheese" with butter and milk.

by Anonymousreply 56February 16, 2019 9:13 PM

Hot dogs. Used to love them around 10, then ate too many of them and went off them.

Ice cream is another. Way too much sugar and I don't like the texture any more. It feels weird.

I gave up all soft drinks when I was a teen, same with hot chips.

Used to eat pasta, chicken, tacos when I was really young, though stopped eating them when I hit my teens.

I'm only in my late twenties but my eating habits have completely changed and I really love bland food now.

by Anonymousreply 57February 16, 2019 9:17 PM

r31, You didn't finish [quote]I knew a lady who had coffee and half a donut in Capitola once.[/quote] I knew a lady who had coffee and half a donut in Capitola once. But then she died.

by Anonymousreply 58February 16, 2019 9:21 PM

Junket.

by Anonymousreply 59February 16, 2019 9:22 PM

Bologna and eggs. Mom fed it to me a lot when I was very young, and I'm not fat.

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2019 9:32 PM

R37 I stopped eating it in 3rd grade when a classmate told me it was ass meat.

by Anonymousreply 61February 16, 2019 9:32 PM

R57 is really 87 years old.

by Anonymousreply 62February 16, 2019 9:34 PM

Kraft singles.

by Anonymousreply 63February 16, 2019 9:35 PM

[quote]I stopped eating it in 3rd grade when a classmate told me it was ass meat.

And yet now you eat ass like it's going out of style.

by Anonymousreply 64February 16, 2019 10:43 PM

Pringles

by Anonymousreply 65February 16, 2019 11:03 PM

[quote]I gave up all soft drinks when I was a teen, same with hot chips.

What are hot chips?

by Anonymousreply 66February 16, 2019 11:28 PM

R53 Funyuns are one of the only things that taste the exact same as they did when I was a kid, in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 67February 16, 2019 11:34 PM

Shake 'N Bake. My mom used this all the time when making roasted chicken breasts. It's a total salt/msg bomb.

by Anonymousreply 68February 16, 2019 11:59 PM

Not exactly a food -- but sugary drinks like Kool-Aid and Hawaiian Punch.

by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2019 12:39 AM

I FLOVED Shake 'N Bake. The original chicken one and the BBQ one, although I remember that one as being very sweet, even too sweet for a kid's taste. They have all these recipes online that are supposed to replicate SnB but none that I've tried even come close. But the original has SO much sodium, I can't in good conscience to my body use it. I've come close with some of the copies but there is always something missing.

by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2019 2:54 AM

Veggie burgers

by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2019 3:08 AM

Mama would open a can of tuna fish, and a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese and mix them all together then crumble potato chips or saltine crackers on top and bake it for tuna casserole. I loved it back then.

Does anyone else remember the teen house parties in the basement with the bowl of tuna salad and ritz crackers? That was the "food" they would serve. And when my sister had a party my father would keep coming down the basement to turn the lights back on every time someone played a slow song on the record player.

Tang. We had to drink Tang because the astronauts did.

Jello molds. For every occasion. And definitely when we had company for dinner. Orange, strawberry, lime, even lemon yellow. Gross. Usually mixed with canned fruit and nuts and cottage cheese.

by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2019 3:09 AM

I used to enjoy pan-seared butter bass, but for some reason now it just doesn't smell or taste like anything.

by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2019 3:11 AM

Butter fish.

Oh, if only I had known.

by Anonymousreply 74February 17, 2019 3:14 AM

Oh my, some of you have terrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2019 3:16 AM

Grandads cum.

by Anonymousreply 76February 17, 2019 3:17 AM

The foods we eat today are facsimiles of what we had as kids. If you want something close to what it used to be like you needto go to the independent stores and get your homemade ice cream, or bread, cakes, pies, etc. Organic chickens and grass fed beef, and free range chickens who produce eggs from organicfeed. Fins meat and poultry that is free of antibiotics and hormones, farm raised, etc.

by Anonymousreply 77February 17, 2019 3:20 AM

[quote]Oh my, some of you have terrible taste.

HAD. The thread is about food we don't eat anymore.

by Anonymousreply 78February 17, 2019 3:22 AM

I loved peanut butter and I still do.

by Anonymousreply 79February 17, 2019 3:24 AM

Hostess fruit pies, especially the cherry-flavored one. Probably my favorite sugary dessert as a kid.

I saw one at the store recently and saw that each one was like 1,000 calories! OK maybe not that much, but not too far off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 17, 2019 3:25 AM

If you want Banana Cream Pie, find an Amish restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 81February 17, 2019 3:34 AM

R78 the title doesn’t say “and don’t like now”

by Anonymousreply 82February 17, 2019 3:35 AM

Hamburgers and cheeseburgers. I can't remember the last time I had either.

I used to enjoy going to McD's/BK/Wendy's and getting their big cheeseburgers.

Now I have zero desire to.

by Anonymousreply 83February 17, 2019 3:37 AM

Mom's Figurines

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 17, 2019 7:59 AM

Liver. Had to eat it as a kid. Now I couldn’t even look at it.

Ding Dongs and HoHos.

Anything with veal.

by Anonymousreply 85February 17, 2019 8:13 AM

Entemann's baked goods, when they were a small privately owned company they produced wonderful cakes, pies and cookies. After they were bought and sold by several corporate giants their quality wend downhill now I can't even bear to look at their products.

by Anonymousreply 86February 17, 2019 10:35 AM

I loved French Silk pie too, r24. A buffet we went to on occasion always had some and I'd eat a whole piece. Nowadays it is definitely cloying, kind of feels like it sticks to your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 87February 17, 2019 10:53 AM

Salami, bone marrow, veal cutlets

by Anonymousreply 88February 17, 2019 11:01 AM

As a kid I loved Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, then in my 20s I couldn't stand them. Now in my 40s, I like them again.

I genuinely enjoyed liver as a kid and can't stand to even smell it now. Same with that lunchmeat that was ham with cheese injected into it.

by Anonymousreply 89February 17, 2019 11:02 AM

Meat

by Anonymousreply 90February 17, 2019 11:06 AM

R86 Entemanns was so good in 80’s and early 90’s I haven’t seen the treats in the grocery store in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 91February 17, 2019 11:10 AM

Fettuccine Alfredo I loved it. Now I can’t digest the cream in it.

by Anonymousreply 92February 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Ham Tetrazzini was the first of my mom's dishes that I asked her to teach me how to cook when I was a kid. She started with a roux and went from there. Kid-friendly flavor and texture, not too complex, but today I don't eat either ham or dairy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Cocoa Krispies!

Sugar, carbs, and chemical additives. I loved the way they turned the milk brown.

by Anonymousreply 94February 17, 2019 12:05 PM

R62 but he passes for late twenties.

I have the equivalent of a photographic memory for tastes, so I can recall exactly what everything I've ever eaten has tasted like and compare over 50 years. It's true that the quality of American food of almost every kind has plummeted. It's not you, it's them.

by Anonymousreply 95February 17, 2019 12:59 PM

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Actually my mother would NEVER use jelly. It was Strawberry Preserves.

by Anonymousreply 96February 17, 2019 1:03 PM

Sliced tongue. It was a COW'S TONGUE. That gross to me now. Poor cow.

by Anonymousreply 97February 17, 2019 1:05 PM

"Russian tea," which was something my mom would put together: Lipton iced tea powder, Tang powder, some cinnamon, hot water.

I still crave PB&J as an adult, at times. I rarely have bread in the house, so it's usually a spoon of natural (just peanuts) peanut butter and a spoon of strawberry preserves for me. Still all the feels.

by Anonymousreply 98February 17, 2019 1:10 PM

I remember when I was a kid Sara Lee was the go to for desserts, especially when we had company. Sara Lee cheese cakes, pound cake with fresh strawberries and whipped creme out of a can or Cool Whip!!! The pound cake was dense and buttery, and the cheese cake was rich. I loved it. We kept the Sara Lee coffee cakes on hand. I haven't had that kind of stuff in years. On a whim, I bought a pound cake and it was terrible. It was tasteless and disgusting. It's fake food. There is way too much processed convenience food out here and none of it is worth the price.

by Anonymousreply 99February 17, 2019 1:24 PM

Another treat was Pepperidge Farm cherry or apple turnovers. I used to eat a whole box all by myself. Four at one sitting. And their cakes! Pepperidge Farm cakes were the best. Haven't had one in almost 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 100February 17, 2019 1:25 PM

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and fishsticks. Every Friday (I'm Catholic).

by Anonymousreply 101February 17, 2019 1:29 PM

Smegma. Pubic hair. Cum. Ass dingles.

by Anonymousreply 102February 17, 2019 1:30 PM

What r101 said. Right up there with Campbell's Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 103February 17, 2019 1:40 PM

Spanish Bar Cake from the local A & P Store.

My mom's homemade spaghetti and meatballs with fresh Italian bread.

Fried Chicken with homemade fries.

by Anonymousreply 104February 17, 2019 1:44 PM

Oreos. Why on earth do young people crave that shit.

by Anonymousreply 105February 17, 2019 1:49 PM

I loved Hostess cupcakes when I was growing up, chocolate and orange flavored. Now when I read the ingredients I realize why they are flavorless and bad for you. They have no appeal for me now plus the size of each cupcake has shrunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106February 17, 2019 2:49 PM

R102 what’s an ass dingle?

by Anonymousreply 107February 17, 2019 2:54 PM

An ass dingle sounds like a hemorrhoid.

by Anonymousreply 108February 17, 2019 4:44 PM

Frozen Milk Shake Candy Bars

Red Barn Fried Chicken

Arthur Treacher's

by Anonymousreply 109February 17, 2019 4:46 PM

Strained apricots with tapioca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 17, 2019 4:57 PM

R107, a "dingleberries" are small nuggets of shit still hanging off your ass hairs.

by Anonymousreply 111February 17, 2019 4:59 PM

[quote]Still all the feels.

R98, do you really talk like that?

by Anonymousreply 112February 17, 2019 5:02 PM

[quote]Oreos. Why on earth do young people crave that shit.

I did not crave them when I was young. Nor Hydrox, either.

by Anonymousreply 113February 17, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]Cool Whip!!!

Cool Whip!!! was always shit, even when it first came out. I could always tell the difference, and I mocked people who were fooled by Cool Whip!!!

by Anonymousreply 114February 17, 2019 5:05 PM

[quote]"Russian tea," which was something my mom would put together: Lipton iced tea powder, Tang powder, some cinnamon, hot water.

I remember that! It's a little bit like the taste of Constant Comment tea.

by Anonymousreply 115February 17, 2019 5:20 PM

R114 we weren't "fooled by Cool Whip" we just used it because WTF ever. With Whipped cream you either had to makeyour own, or by the metal can and you always ran out of the stuf, with Cool whip you could freeze it, thaw it use it, refreeze it, etc. we weren't thinking about additives we were thinking of convenience and the idea of something new. My mother went on a real binge finding all kinds of recipes for Cool whip. It was in every dessert from the time I was 9o until I moved out and went to college and even then, on holidays. It was just a presence. I remember when my sister-in-law served strawberry shortcake at a 4th of july even and mother asked how she made the "topping" and SiIL said, it's whipping cream. REAL whipping cream. LOLOL!

by Anonymousreply 116February 17, 2019 6:20 PM

Poor you, r116.

by Anonymousreply 117February 17, 2019 6:22 PM

Cool Whip is disgusting. Even when I was a kid, I knew it was awful.

Some years ago, at a large family Christmas dinner, a female cousin hosted at her home. She is a professional chef, so this was a very good thing. She made everything, including a gorgeous buche de noel for dessert. When her brother arrived, he was carrying a small paper grocery bag. As he's entering the door, she demands "What's in that? You better not have."

"I did. I told you I would. It's not Christmas without it and you have no right to spoil my Christmas."

"Get it out of my house. You have no right to bring it here when I specifically asked you not to."

"The ask was unacceptable. I love it. I want it."

"You're not opening it. You're not putting it on the table. No!"

It moved into the kitchen where the screaming got reeeeeeally loud. It was all about years and years of family dysfunction and a triggering tub of Cool Whip in that paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 118February 17, 2019 6:43 PM

I have a friend we called "Davide Limoges" because he was so into collecting china.

But guess what he ate from most of the time. Recycled Cool Whip!!! containers.

by Anonymousreply 119February 17, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote]Cool Whip is disgusting. Even when I was a kid, I knew it was awful.

Yeah. One bite is all it takes.

by Anonymousreply 120February 17, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote]we weren't "fooled by Cool Whip" we just used it because WTF ever.

Oh, well. "WTF ever." That seals it.

Maybe if you'd eaten real whipped cream instead, you'd be able to write sentences today.

by Anonymousreply 121February 17, 2019 6:48 PM

Miracle Whip

by Anonymousreply 122February 17, 2019 6:48 PM

[quote]With Whipped cream you had to make your own

Oh, no. Not that!!!

by Anonymousreply 123February 17, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote]I went mad for rye bread as a kid.

I'm the opposite; as a kid I refused to eat rye bread because I thought the caraway seeds were bugs. Now I like it.

And I refused to eat Muenster cheese because I thought it was made by The Munsters. Now I love it.

by Anonymousreply 124February 17, 2019 6:49 PM

Dream Whip (powdered box mix) was even worse than Cool Whip. And Sandra Lee was using it in recipes as recently as this decade.

by Anonymousreply 125February 17, 2019 6:51 PM

Lime or orange jello with cottage cheese mixed throughout. As a kid, it was fine.

My mother would ruin it every goddamned time by putting in chopped celery and calling it a salad.

by Anonymousreply 126February 17, 2019 6:53 PM

When I was a kid I would eat most things but I thought Cool Whip was vile.

by Anonymousreply 127February 17, 2019 6:54 PM

Fish sticks. I used to gobble them up when my mom made them.

by Anonymousreply 128February 17, 2019 6:57 PM

R99, my mom's friend who worked at a Sara Lee factory would bring my mom something like 6 or 7 pound cakes that went in the deep freeze. (This was back in the late 60s'/early 70s.) I'd come home from wrestling practice or the library and she'd have one thawing for dessert that night. Sometimes plain, sometimes with berries whipped cream and nuts. They don't taste the same today...

by Anonymousreply 129February 17, 2019 6:58 PM

Drakes Funny Bones!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130February 17, 2019 7:06 PM

[quote] They don't taste the same today...

No, r129, they don't. I liked the Sara Lee Banana Cake. A friend brought one over in 2015, and it was dreadful. That kind of cake that collapses in your mouth as soon as you put it in. No need to chew.

Americans went overboard with "moist" as a defining quality of cake. It's why I mainly eat scratch cakes I make myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131February 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Marathon Bars, braided caramel covered in chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 132February 17, 2019 7:21 PM

Drink wise, it was Tang for summer and Quik chocolate mix warmed up for winter.

by Anonymousreply 133February 17, 2019 7:40 PM

SpaghettiOs and Chef Boyardee canned ravioli. I can't believe I liked them as a child. Also, I now hate most canned soup, but craved them as a child.

by Anonymousreply 134February 17, 2019 10:58 PM

R99 nobody doesn't like Sara Lee°!

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2019 11:16 PM

Rice Krispie treats

by Anonymousreply 136February 18, 2019 12:36 AM

Chef Boyardee and Appian Way pizza making kits. We made homade pizza almost every Friday or Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 137February 18, 2019 2:09 AM

The original Popsicles, Fudgesicles, and Creamsicles.

by Anonymousreply 138February 18, 2019 2:12 AM

Liver and onions, side of mashed potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 139February 18, 2019 2:22 AM

Oreo cookies are another one that do not taste the same now. They used to taste more chocolaty than now. They cheapened the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 140February 18, 2019 2:30 AM

[quote]Mom's Figurines

Oh, YES! My aunt used to have them and I"d have one or two whenever I visited. They were so delicious and sophisticated, I thought. They had a very interesting texture.

Do any west coast posters remember Flicks chocolate wafers in the shiny foil tubes from the '70s? They were delicious. They seemed to disappear overnight. I was shocked to find some at a CVS about 7-8 years ago so I got a couple of tubes. They were just godawful and tasted "chemicalish" I was actually a little crushed. I only saw them once or twice after that. I think the decline in the quality of everyday types of chocolate is as pronounced as that of fast food hamburgers.

by Anonymousreply 141February 18, 2019 3:05 AM

Forgot to post Flicks pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 18, 2019 3:08 AM

McDonalds happy meals. Now that I understand the link between carbs and depression, I regret the lost time.

by Anonymousreply 143February 18, 2019 3:09 AM

I always thought it was "Nobody does it like Sara Lee".

by Anonymousreply 144February 18, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote]Do any west coast posters remember Flicks chocolate wafers in the shiny foil tubes from the '70s?

I remember them from the '60s. Always bought at least one when I went to the movies as a youngster. (Maybe even in the '50s.)

by Anonymousreply 145February 18, 2019 3:31 AM

I absolutely hate Cool Whip! How do you guys feel about Reddi-whip? I love it.

by Anonymousreply 146February 18, 2019 3:33 AM

I used to love Pop Tarts. Now I hate them. Then I went to a diner that had homemade pop tarts and I was in love again!

by Anonymousreply 147February 18, 2019 3:34 AM

Where can I get some of those Drake's Funnybones ?

by Anonymousreply 148February 18, 2019 3:35 AM

I love a brown-sugar maple frosted Pop-Tart hot out of the toaster and slathered with butter. (Of course I never eat them, but it's one of my favorite things.)

by Anonymousreply 149February 18, 2019 3:37 AM

When pop tarts first came out I loved them. And they had the brown sugar and cinnamon ones. But then they started to glaze them with frosting and the fruit ones were too sugar. I haven't eaten one in 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 150February 18, 2019 3:41 AM

Say what you will about Reddi Whip or Cool Whip, but there are people who could not eat dairy and for them Cool Whip was a good alternative.

by Anonymousreply 151February 18, 2019 3:42 AM

Horlicks(?) chocolate and malt chocolate tabs. They came in a glass bottle and was quite expensive compared to other treats.

p.s. I can't believe they cheapened these all-time favorites. Why? Then, I guess, when sales dropped off, they canceled the product for lack of demand.

I like griping.

by Anonymousreply 152February 18, 2019 3:52 AM

Hi, R56! Yeah, I lived near Jones Beach as a little kid. Would be shocked, though, to find out anyone here on the DataLounge is related to me.

by Anonymousreply 153February 18, 2019 3:53 AM

[quote]And their cakes! Pepperidge Farm cakes were the best. Haven't had one in almost 30 years.

I loved those! They were almost like a food group to me in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 154February 18, 2019 4:02 AM

Roll n Roaster. As a kid, it was my favorite. Now, not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155February 18, 2019 4:08 AM

Hey R155 you get free “cheez” if you wag your finger!

by Anonymousreply 156February 18, 2019 4:10 AM

So glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the taste of food has changed. I kept thinking it must just be me getting old and cranky, and wanting to bite into something, ANYTHING, and have it really taste the way I remember it tasting. Like the food critic in Ratatouille when he tasted Remi's ragout!

by Anonymousreply 157February 18, 2019 4:17 AM

I used to love Ball Park and Oscar Meyer hot dogs. Now I only like higher-quality hot dogs like Kowalski, Boar’s Head, and Thumann’s.

by Anonymousreply 158February 18, 2019 4:23 AM

Filet mignon but have no desire for it since age 12

by Anonymousreply 159February 18, 2019 4:36 AM

As a child and teen, I used to enjoy eating liver, but now the texture grosses me out.

by Anonymousreply 160February 18, 2019 6:08 AM

Hunny, I no longer eat any kind of Sausage. You just do not know what finds its way into mass made sausage. Now, my Ma used to go to this, little Italian butcher shop and they made sausage and she bought it. But that was the only sausage she would let us eat. She said rat shit might be in the supermarket kind.

by Anonymousreply 161February 18, 2019 1:59 PM

Agreed R161 I stopped eating all types of "tube steaks" you never know what's in them aside from large amounts of fat and salt.

by Anonymousreply 162February 18, 2019 3:09 PM

"Filet mignon but have no desire for it since age 12."

Funny thing, I had my first filet mignon at age 12. Birthday dinner at the most expensive restaurant in town.

Filet mignon with bearnaise sauce.

It's been so long since I had a steak. I just have no desire to consume red meat.

by Anonymousreply 163February 18, 2019 3:51 PM

When I was a kid my mom got the cheapest cuts of steak and did not know how to cook them properly. Now that I’ve had proper steaks I love redmeat!

by Anonymousreply 164February 18, 2019 6:12 PM

r161 It's not that hard to make your own sausage. You can control what goes into it.

by Anonymousreply 165February 18, 2019 6:38 PM

[quote] You just do not know what finds its way into mass made sausage.

Every part of the pig but the squeal!

by Anonymousreply 166February 18, 2019 6:39 PM

Overcooking meat (and vegetables) seems to have been a hallmark of my parents' generation (they would have been in their early to mid 90s now). Roasts and steaks were never left with even a trace of pink in the center. At least roasts weren't hard to eat if sliced properly, but if it came out of my mother's frying pan it was inevitably chewy. I used to think it was my mom because she was not a very good cook, but I kept hearing the same from peers after I left home. Across the years, I've also noticed at restaurants that the older the person, the more likely to order medium well and over. What is that about? Did they think it's safer because they grew up in an era before widespread refrigeration?

by Anonymousreply 167February 18, 2019 6:56 PM

[quote]It was in every dessert from the time I was 9o until I moved out and went to college and even then, on holidays.

r116, what are you now, 162?

by Anonymousreply 168February 18, 2019 7:30 PM

"She said rat shit might be in the supermarket kind."

I know she didn't say "rat shit."

by Anonymousreply 169February 18, 2019 7:35 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 18, 2019 11:03 PM

Everybody please send me good wishes and positive thoughts. I bought a can of something I loved as a child—Underwood chicken spread—and am worried I'll find it repulsive now, the way I find the thought of eating a Big Mac, which enjoyed "favorite food" status when I was 8, repulsive. But I'm determined to go through with it for old times' sake.

by Anonymousreply 171February 18, 2019 11:12 PM

Rice a Roni

by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2019 12:07 AM

In olden times, McDonald's was the Shake Shack of its day The shakes and hamburgers and french fries were made to order. People would have date nights at McDonald's. Franchising the brand automated the service and the food and neither is good anymore.

To get an idea of how degraded the experience is, watch the videos of a homeless person dragging the bloodied carcass of a racoon into a McDonald s or a young cashier being pummeled by an irate customer who needed a straw to consume his beverage.

by Anonymousreply 173February 19, 2019 12:22 AM

[quote]People would have date nights at McDonald's.

Date nights? Really?

by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2019 12:23 AM

Kool-Aid.

Can't believe we drank gallons of that junk growing up.

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2019 12:23 AM

yes! a casual date nite, just like shake shack is now.

now you can't enter a md without potentially exposing yourself to rabies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2019 12:32 AM

My mother used to take cans of Underwood Deviled Ham and mix it with some sweet pickle relish.and spread it on white bread. Then she'd cut them all up fancy and serve them for tea. I wonder if I'd still like it today.

by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2019 1:41 AM

Scrapple was a favorite as a kid, thankfully I became a vegetarian when I was 16. Out of everything I missed liver and onions the most.

by Anonymousreply 178February 19, 2019 3:05 AM

Ice-cream and milk chocolate.

I lost any cravings for both.

by Anonymousreply 179February 19, 2019 3:07 AM

These were awesome. Now I can't imagine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180February 19, 2019 3:30 AM

Kraft mac and cheese with ketchup....soooo goood.

by Anonymousreply 181February 19, 2019 3:37 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 19, 2019 4:16 AM

I also like Underwood Deviled Ham, although I was also afraid of it because I thought the Devil made it.

by Anonymousreply 183February 19, 2019 4:32 AM

My best friend put ketchup on his vanilla ice cream. I refused to try it. But I did put Nestle Quik powder on my ice cream and stirred it up to make chocolate ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 184February 19, 2019 4:34 AM

Marshmallows in hot chocolate now I can't stand either of these.

by Anonymousreply 185February 19, 2019 10:30 AM

[quote]But I did put Nestle Quik powder on my ice cream and stirred it up to make chocolate ice cream.

I did that with whichever chocolate milk powder we had in the house at the time (Quik, Ovaltine, Carnation). I didn't stir, though. I preferred the contrast of the dry powder with the ice cream's varying degrees of "wet."

by Anonymousreply 186February 19, 2019 10:35 AM

I thought candy corn was food of the gods. Now - unbearably sweet.

by Anonymousreply 187February 19, 2019 10:38 AM

Yes R124, as a 60s kid I totally confused Muenster cheese and the Munsters as well!

by Anonymousreply 188February 19, 2019 10:48 AM

Donuts have a smell?

by Anonymousreply 189February 19, 2019 11:02 AM

Yes, r189. I would recognize a donut by smell, I think.

by Anonymousreply 190February 19, 2019 11:03 AM

But do they give off a smell? Maybe a piping hot batch straight from the fryer, but if someone left a plate of donuts out I don’t think even OP would be retching and gagging from the fumes. Seems a bit dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 191February 19, 2019 11:35 AM

I didn't say it would make me retch or gag, r191, or that I would be able to smell it from across a room (unless it was in a donut shop). But if you put a donut up to my nose in a blind smell test, I think I would be able to distinguish it from a slice of cake or pie, or some other pastry. I believe it has to do with the oil in which donuts are cooked.

by Anonymousreply 192February 19, 2019 11:37 AM

Thousand Island dressing

by Anonymousreply 193February 19, 2019 12:48 PM

[quote]My best friend put ketchup on his vanilla ice cream.

Richard Nixon used to eat ketchup on cottage cheese.

by Anonymousreply 194February 19, 2019 2:28 PM

M&Ms. Just the peanut ones.

by Anonymousreply 195February 19, 2019 2:47 PM

American milk chocolate, Hershey's & Ghirardelli, can't stand them now my preference is for Italian, German and French dark chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 196February 19, 2019 3:01 PM

Totino’s Cheese Pizza

Canned tuna mixed with Miracle Whip on toasted white bread.

Canned tuna mixed into Kraft macaroni and cheese.

Hostess fruit pies.

And the number one, most delicious thing from my childhood that would now make me barf... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hostess Pudding Pies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197February 19, 2019 3:37 PM

Hershey chocolate syrup over vanilla ice cream

by Anonymousreply 198February 19, 2019 5:06 PM

I haven't had a Big Mac in at least 20 years or more. But I wonder are they still made with 1000 Island dressing? Wasn't that it's"special sauce.?"

I may have it mixed up with Big Boys which was a popular local chain in Michigan, and they had "the Big Boy" which was comparable to Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 199February 19, 2019 6:07 PM

Big Boy came first. Long before the Big Mac came along, there was the Big Boy.

And it was infinitely better. All the parts were fresher and of better quality.

The Big Boy restaurants were several steps above a greasy McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 200February 19, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]Richard Nixon used to eat ketchup on cottage cheese.

I thought it was Gerald Ford, but it turns out it was both of them

[quote] So: ketchup and cottage cheese. Nixon wasn’t alone in his love for this gross combo, either; Gerald Ford reportedly ate cottage cheese covered in catsup (though some say it was A-1 steak sauce) for nearly every lunch.

Cottage cheese was definitely a '70s food. My mother used to make a lime jello, crushed pineapple and cottage cheese mold. I don't recall spotting cottage cheese in a store for ages.

by Anonymousreply 201February 19, 2019 9:18 PM

Big Boys always reminded me of Howard Johnson’s without the orange and lime sherbert.

by Anonymousreply 202February 19, 2019 9:19 PM

Both Big Boy and Big Mac hamburgers always seemed too dry for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 203February 19, 2019 10:00 PM

R171 Could you please report back on how it went? Or did you die from botulism and regret?

by Anonymousreply 204February 19, 2019 10:17 PM

"Canned tuna mixed with Miracle Whip on toasted white bread. Canned tuna mixed into Kraft macaroni and cheese."

Ha! You reminded me of both of these things which were a 1970s regular thing at my house.

Been a long time, though.

by Anonymousreply 205February 20, 2019 12:52 AM

Loved canned ravioli, Vienna sausages, classic sugar cereals, chocolate milk mix. Eat none of those now. Seems like poison, and the ravioli even back then tasted metallic.

by Anonymousreply 206February 20, 2019 1:22 AM

Campbell's vegetable soup.

Peanut Butter and Marshmallow sandwiches.

Chun King canned Chow Mein.

Rocket push-up ice-cream pops.

by Anonymousreply 207February 20, 2019 1:27 AM

One thing I can think of that still tastes the same is chocolate Quik. I have some in my cupboard now. That and Grape Nuts. They totally fucked up Ovaltine, though I hear the kind you can find in Mexican markets is the same (similar to how Mexican Coca-Cola is what we remember as the "real thing). Those bastards at Kraft did something to their macaroni and cheese. It is gross now, as I think someone upthread mentioned. Grainy and hardly any cheese flavor no matter how many extra packets you add.

by Anonymousreply 208February 20, 2019 1:30 AM

My father used to call Nestle Quik powder on ice cream "Jersey mud" and we didn't stir it in.

by Anonymousreply 209February 20, 2019 2:04 AM

Beanee Weenee owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 210February 20, 2019 2:58 AM

I read something a while back about processed foods today being shot through with high fructose corn syrup or sugar to make them edible, because they are so filled with chemicals preservatives and fake artificial flavor, they would be horrible without the sodium and the sugars.

by Anonymousreply 211February 20, 2019 3:13 AM

I loved these as a kid not so much now. I'm sure there are very few natural ingredients in them. I see them in the store and get nostalgic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212February 20, 2019 10:40 AM

Soylent Green....is people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 213February 20, 2019 1:11 PM

I still love Cheez Waffies and occasionally get them, although since my local supermarket was bought by Stop n Shop I don't see them there (along with at least half the products I used to buy).

by Anonymousreply 214February 20, 2019 1:15 PM

[quote]But if you put a donut up to my nose in a blind smell test

Who would do this? Under what possible circumstances? Why does this thought even cross your mind?

by Anonymousreply 215February 20, 2019 1:26 PM

Filet Mignon.

But as an adult, the garlic herb butter seems a bit much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216February 20, 2019 1:48 PM

Okay, r215. I confess: when I eat a donut, thereby placing it within sniffing distance of both nostrils, I can tell it's a donut just by smell.

Who can't?

by Anonymousreply 217February 20, 2019 2:32 PM

I noticed in a lot of the cooking videos I love to watch, the whole garlic butter poured over meat is a thing. I agree it's a bit much. My mother used to serve a Beef Roast, good cut, it was rolled. round don't remember the cut, but it was a special occasion thing, and she served a sour cream and horseradish sauce with fresh dill. It was incredible. I haven't eaten red meat for almost 30 years, but I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 218February 20, 2019 2:57 PM

R214 I slip occasionally and revert back to my childhood and buy them. I still love them.

by Anonymousreply 219February 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Nothing that still exists from our childhood's can ever taste the same because it all was once real food, for those old enough anyway, and now it's all chemicals. Hell, even things we make from scratch can't taste the same. I feel bad and envy young people at the same time. They will never know what real food tastes like, but at the same time they will never miss it.

by Anonymousreply 220February 20, 2019 4:59 PM

I take two cans of tuna fish and run them through the meat grinder. Then I add peanut butter and clam juice.

by Anonymousreply 221February 20, 2019 6:59 PM

We love you, Doris at R221!

What we don't love is food that is - like your husband's daiquiris - [shudder] - sooo sweet.

That cloying sweetness is often a problem with foods we remember fondly from childhood. For example, I recently bought Campbell's cream of tomato soup (ready-to-eat, not condensed) and couldn't believe the sweetness. It was like trying to eat a bowl of jam. Just awful, and nothing like what many of us loved years ago.

by Anonymousreply 222February 20, 2019 8:39 PM

Kern's Peach Nectar.

Now, just sugary glop...

by Anonymousreply 223February 21, 2019 4:22 AM

R218 reminds me of how I like to watch Julia Child's "The French Chef" shows. I used to have a box set of her shows but I stopped watching it.

I never cook and could never attempt what she did.

I also used to watch "The Frugal Gourmet", Jeff Smith's show from the 1980s. Although I have to confess that I really liked it when he had his assistant, Craig, on the show. Craig was my type.

by Anonymousreply 224February 21, 2019 1:44 PM

Poor Craig. The shit he had to put up with that creep, very Harvey. Sorry, moving on!

by Anonymousreply 225February 21, 2019 1:51 PM

Licorice laces

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226February 21, 2019 2:28 PM

Pop rocks! Ate those fuckers like, well, candy.

by Anonymousreply 227February 21, 2019 6:11 PM

If you don't like donuts, give me your share, please.

by Anonymousreply 228February 21, 2019 6:45 PM

This.

Until I learned it was literally killing transpeople.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229February 21, 2019 8:41 PM

I'd like to add Bugles to the list. I bought a bag a few years ago recalling how much I loved them growing up and shockingly (not really) they tasted like shit.

by Anonymousreply 230February 21, 2019 9:27 PM

SPAM.

by Anonymousreply 231February 21, 2019 11:58 PM

I remember a special treat of kemps peppermint chocolate chip ice cream on a weekend. We'd put it into a large mug with milk and mush it up like a milkshake(no blender back then). On the bottom would be a big wad of little chocolate flecks that sank down. Last time I had kemps it tasted like foam. No way it's the same recipe from back then

by Anonymousreply 232February 22, 2019 2:44 AM

Girl Scout Cookies.

by Anonymousreply 233February 22, 2019 3:46 AM

Girl scout Thin Mints taste greasy now, am I the only one with this experience? Gross.

by Anonymousreply 234February 22, 2019 4:00 AM

R224, go for it. Many of the recipes that Julia Child published in Mastering the Art of French Cooking can be reproduced at home. EVERYTHING in life is more difficult the first time you try it. The technique for Coq au Vin and for Boeuf Bourguignon is almost exactly the same. They are both excellent winter entrees and not difficult to execute successfully. The second time you do it will be easier, by the third time you will be speeding through.

And then, once you've done it, and you can make those great dishes... what a wonderful thing to hold on to in life.

by Anonymousreply 235February 22, 2019 4:08 AM

Great post r235. Really supportive and from personal experience absolutely true. Do it R224!

by Anonymousreply 236February 22, 2019 5:03 AM

Oreos. Now they taste like crap.

by Anonymousreply 237February 22, 2019 5:37 AM

I remember when Oreos had lard in the creamy bit. It was luscious and left a warm feel in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 238February 22, 2019 1:45 PM

Coq au vin

by Anonymousreply 239February 22, 2019 1:48 PM

My elementary school hot lunches in the 1970’s were better than what most people eat for dinner now.

by Anonymousreply 240February 22, 2019 7:01 PM

Oreos I cannot eat them. They give me 48 hours of farts.

by Anonymousreply 241February 22, 2019 7:02 PM

Fun thread. Back in the Sixties, I liked mayo, iceberg lettuce, and salt and pepper sandwiches on Wonder Bread. I hated anything sweet. Just give me salt.

I’d be so curious about how many posters knew right off the bat that they hated sweet stuff and loved salty stuff. Or vice versa. I think it’s so genetic.

So we kids and our parents gathered around our black and white tv in 1966 to watch the first episode of Star Trek. It was called “The Man Trap.” It was about a salt-sucking creature. My Mom said “that is me!” My Mom salted everything, from cottage cheese to apples.

To this day, my Mom and Dad, now in their 90s, and all of us three kids who are now in our 60s, love salty things and hate sweet stuff. It’s so genetic, imho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242February 22, 2019 7:34 PM

Eating Ovaltine dry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243February 22, 2019 7:36 PM

I liked processed American cheese slices when I was little, I could eat them out of the wrapper or in sandwiches. Then I moved on to better and actual cheeses in my 20s. Now I rarely eat cheese at all, it clogs up my sinuses.

by Anonymousreply 244February 22, 2019 7:37 PM

agree with r220. I remember getting corn, green beans, carrots and tomatoes, either from home gardens (everyone had a garden) or a farm stand, every summer of my childhood and couldn't eat enough of them. After a winter of eating mushy frozen vegetables fresh picked vegetables were heavenly. We also used to pick wild blueberries and raspberries, they were everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 245February 22, 2019 7:48 PM

Waldorf Salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246February 22, 2019 8:33 PM

I liked Swanson Chicken Pot Pie when I was a kid now I can't stand the taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247February 22, 2019 10:18 PM

Raw eggs with milk and sugar and a few drops of vanilla

by Anonymousreply 248February 22, 2019 10:26 PM

Yum, R248. Add a dash of nutmeg and some good booze of your choice.

by Anonymousreply 249February 22, 2019 10:46 PM

Scared of raw eggs, now

by Anonymousreply 250February 22, 2019 10:50 PM

My dad always made me malteds with raw egg in them. Now I too would be way to scared to eat them, but then I usually by pasteurized eggs in the shell that are safe to eat raw, but I don't really do malteds with our without eggs anymore but I do eat them lightly poached with the yellow as drippy as can be. Only one supermarket in all of NYC sells them, Shoprite, so I really have to go out of my way to get them but the peace of mind is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 251February 22, 2019 10:54 PM

Sorry, by = buy and our = without, man, I need to proofread better.

by Anonymousreply 252February 22, 2019 10:56 PM

R242 I’m a cheesy/buttery/greasy food person what does that fall into?

Honestly I think that’s the worst predilection to have - more fattening and cholesterol’s than sweet or salty.

by Anonymousreply 253February 22, 2019 11:45 PM

Fat doesn't make you fat. Cholesterol, along with saturated fat being evil has also been debunked thoroughly. But we won't know that until we are dead from all of the trans fat and HFCS and god knows what in our "FAT FREE!" food.

by Anonymousreply 254February 23, 2019 12:26 AM

I'm Susan Powter. I helped a fuck ton of fat Frauen get even fatter by insisting that if you don't eat fat, you SCIENTIFICALLY can't get fat. Dumb stunt cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255February 23, 2019 12:32 AM

Sorry, wrong thread, but still applies.

by Anonymousreply 256February 23, 2019 12:33 AM

Back on the subject of Girl Scout cookies: Tagalongs used to be transporting, but now they're like sweetened wax.

by Anonymousreply 257February 23, 2019 12:40 AM

I liked Savannahs. Those were my favorite.

After those little bitches discontinued Savannahs, I want nothing to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 258February 23, 2019 12:58 AM

Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Now I think it is so disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 259February 23, 2019 12:59 AM

Hershey's syrup. Now completely destroyed by all of the 45387 different forms of corn syrup in it. No chocolate flavor to be found.

Baskin Robbins. I LOVED their ice cream. Specifically, jamoca almond fudge. They went to the corn syrup dark side too. Now it's totally inedible, and the one bite you take before throwing it the bin lingers like a sickly sweet oil slick in your mouth for ages. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 260February 23, 2019 1:07 AM

R242, My mother noticed it in me when I was a child. She would tell people that she was putting a salt lick in the backyard for me!

by Anonymousreply 261February 23, 2019 1:56 AM

I used to like the Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal, but I had one last week and it was the most vile thing.

I was sad.

by Anonymousreply 262February 26, 2019 6:26 PM

I had a similar experience a few months ago r262. Only in my case it was a Big Mac. One bite and I almost barfed. In fact that's what it smelled like: barf. The only two items from there that taste close to what I remember are the Egg McMuffin and the original hamburger (no cheese).

by Anonymousreply 263February 26, 2019 6:32 PM

Cheap cookies

by Anonymousreply 264February 26, 2019 6:36 PM

I’d love to force feed you all a tub of cool whip.

by Anonymousreply 265February 26, 2019 7:40 PM

Total Cereal with tons of white sugar and milk.

by Anonymousreply 266March 2, 2019 11:39 PM

Chef Boyardee! !! Loved it. Now I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole

by Anonymousreply 267March 5, 2019 11:42 PM

Broccoli, spinach

by Anonymousreply 268March 6, 2019 12:07 AM

Not ice milk

by Anonymousreply 269March 6, 2019 1:04 PM

I remember as a kid requiring a spoonful of sugar in my cereal if it was something like corn flakes or raisin bran or Cheerios. The sugar already present in the cereal just wasn’t enough! Absurd to think about doing that now.

My mom used to keep a small Tupperware container of a sugar and cinnamon mix in the cupboard, which would go on buttered toast. It was strictly for me. I was underweight as a child and didn’t like a lot of foods, so whatever got me to eat, my mom went for it. I definitely had a sweet tooth.

But I also loved overly salty frozen foods like the abovementioned chicken cordon bleu (remember the Schwann’s frozen food delivery truck?), as well as all manner of Rice-A-Ronis and Chef Boyardees (Beefaroni and ravioli being my two favorites) and Hamburger Helper. God help me.

Now, you wanna know what one of my favorite foods is? Arugula. It doesn’t even need to have any kind of dressing at all, not even olive oil or salt. I can eat whole handfuls of it.

by Anonymousreply 270March 6, 2019 2:00 PM

Trix cereal, big macs

by Anonymousreply 271March 6, 2019 2:50 PM

Anyone remember the extremely cheap, supermarket/corner deli version of these hand pies? My dad used to buy them for me all the time in the late 80s/early 90s, and I ate the hell out of them. I remember apple, cherry, and blueberry flavors. They were loaded with chemicals, saturated fat, and sugar, and they were no more than $2 apiece. I can’t find the brand online; it wasn’t a memorable name. Similar to the Table Talk brand of mini pies, but they were the folded over, hand pie variety, not mini pies in a tin.

They weren’t really that great, either. The crust was not particularly flavorful. The inside was all gelatinous corn syrup and bits of the fruit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272March 6, 2019 3:02 PM

Boonsfarm Tickle Pink wine I loved it in high school. I don’t know if they still sell it. It tasted like fruit punch with a little fizz.

by Anonymousreply 273March 7, 2019 4:49 PM

Trix and Big Macs. Now, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 274March 7, 2019 6:21 PM

I remember when I was about 5 or 6 my parents friends came to visit and brought pastries and cookies from Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. I pitched a fit because my dad had bought us Devil Dogs at the store earlier that day I was looking forward to one for dessert all day. I didn't want any canolli or Italian cookies. Ironically, I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore but desserts from Arthur Avenue are my downfall.

by Anonymousreply 275March 7, 2019 8:20 PM

Those are the last of really good Italian bakeries and food stores. Once they go, in NYC anyway, really good Italian food will be lost forever.

by Anonymousreply 276March 7, 2019 8:28 PM

What does bone marrow taste like? How's the texture?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277March 18, 2019 1:04 AM

R277 The texture is similar to a soft jello with a mild meaty flavor.

by Anonymousreply 278March 18, 2019 1:18 AM

Cadbury Eggs. Loved them and would gobble them up first on Easter. Had one as an adult and thought I might puke.

by Anonymousreply 279March 18, 2019 1:34 AM

How do you eat it, with a spoon? Or spread on bread?

by Anonymousreply 280March 18, 2019 1:36 AM

I guess this is the opposite of what you asked OP but as a kid I hated cheese, all cheese, just detested it. Now I can't get enough, the stinkier the cheese the more I love it, but I love bland American cheese too, just not the kind wrapped in plastic.

by Anonymousreply 281March 18, 2019 1:38 AM

Banana Puddin

by Anonymousreply 282March 18, 2019 2:11 AM

My partner came to the US from South Africa when he was in his 20s. One day he was at someone's house and tasted Cool Whip for the first time. It was like crack. He started buying the little tubs of Cool Whip and eating the whole thing with a spoon. It was disgusting. I tried to divert him with Reddi-Whip, but he loved his white trash Cool Whip. I finally just gave up and let him enjoy it. Eventually he stopped the addictive eating, but every few months he'll buy some and eat a whole container at a time. Based on the problems some partnered folks have, I know I'm getting off easy.

by Anonymousreply 283March 18, 2019 2:39 AM

When I was a child, Chinese food was VERY different from what we currently find in Chinese restaurants. Back then, I loved Chicken Almond Ding. Probably because of the "Ding." It always made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 284March 18, 2019 2:50 AM

I can't believe I Was addicted to Pop tarts. Iliked the original ones with cinnamon and sugar. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 285March 18, 2019 2:57 AM

The only time I ever liked Cool Whip was when I found this recipe somewhere for "ice cream sandwiches." You take two full chocolate graham crackers put a decent amount of Cool Whip between them, wrap them individually in foil and freeze them for at least a few hours or overnight. Eat right from the freezer, do not defrost, delicious. Somehow the graham crackers keep the Cool Whip from tasting like plastic.

by Anonymousreply 286March 18, 2019 3:03 AM

[quote]Schwann’s frozen food delivery truck

Schwann's is still in business; a truck drivescpast my house every Wednesday. Their prices are high but the quality is good, for frozen food. I think they primarily serve rural areas or areas without a close grocery store.

by Anonymousreply 287March 18, 2019 4:00 AM

My husband is still in mourning for the bacon flavoured Squeeze-A-Snack.

by Anonymousreply 288March 18, 2019 4:11 AM

Making sandwiches with Isaly's chipped chopped ham and their bbq sauce. On a side note, they also invented the Klondike bar. It's a NE Ohio thing if you're not familiar with them.

York Steak House - my folks would take us there all the time. Sadly there seems to be only one left in Columbus, Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 289March 18, 2019 4:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!