Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scotland, Wales and Ireland

Going to London early this spring for a long week (9 days) but would like to take a few of those days and travel nearby as I've spent so much time in London in recent years.

Where's the best place? Glasgow? Edinburgh? Dublin? Some quaint town in Wales? The English countryside?

It looks like I'll be starting in this unchosen location and then moving on to London for the remainder of the trip. What's the best mode of transportation to get there?

TIA for any suggestions, DL!

by Anonymousreply 107February 22, 2019 3:56 PM

OP, are you from the USA and thus unfamiliar with driving on the “wrong” side of the road?

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2019 2:22 PM

You can fly from London City airport to Edinburgh, Glasgow or Dublin in less than an hour. A train to Glasgow or Edinburgh takes around 4 hours but is a nice journey. Unless there's someone or something in particular you want to see, I wouldn't recommend anywhere else in the UK if it's only a couple of days. The other cities like Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle aren't worth your time and even Glasgow is hardly worth it. I'd get on the Eurostar and go to Paris. Brits don't tend to spend our holidays in the UK if we can help it.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2019 2:29 PM

In Ireland, don't miss the Cliffs of Moher on the West Coast. They're fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2019 2:37 PM

What do you like to do?

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Cotswolds/Oxford.

Would do Ireland before Wales but Ireland is tough - because Dublin isn’t worthwhile, only the countryside and western coast. But you need to drive in the country and it is no fun being on the wrong side of everything. All your instincts are constantly challenged. Makes it stressful. Perhaps Galway via public transport. Edinburgh would be another choice. Don’t bother with the other major English cities.

I also like to do cheap flights to other euro cities like Amsterdam or Prague. Amazingly cheap flights.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2019 3:22 PM

Northern Ireland. Belfast is banging these days.

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2019 3:30 PM

Stratford on Avon for Shakespeare. The Cotswolds to see ye olde England.

Windsor to see The Queen and Bath for the beautiful architecture and Roman Baths.

Edinburgh to experience Scotland.

Paris or Amsterdam on the Eurostar are easy to get to and worth a visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2019 3:38 PM

R7 Bath and Stratford-upon-Avon are all do-able as day trips from London and not worth spending any more than that in. Windsor is 30 mins from central London on the train and not worthy of more than a day's visit.

by Anonymousreply 8February 14, 2019 3:44 PM

What interests do you have OP?

by Anonymousreply 9February 14, 2019 3:51 PM

My husband and I took a train from London to Glasgow and it was fantastic. Sipped wine and gazed at the countryside. Amazing trip. Took about 4.5 hours. We stayed in Glasgow and then Edinburgh overall for 7 days. Was blown away by the food and art scene in Glasgow. One interesting thing to note: because London is so fucking expensive, a lot of people from there - including many artists and creative types - took advantage of their UK passports and moved up to that region. This in effect helped to radically revitalize the city. I had some of the best food and cocktails in recent memory in both Glasgow and Edinburgh. Also, the gallery scene was great. Many of the artists and gallery owners I spoke to were former advertising, tech people who burnt out young and fled England for a whole new life.

The lush parks, Kelvingrove Museum, Necropolis - Fringe Fest in Edinburgh. Day trips to the highlands. Lots to do. (Though in truth, parts of Glasgow are still broke as fuck).

Anyway, we are going back next year to do the upper highlands. Can't wait!!

by Anonymousreply 10February 14, 2019 3:57 PM

OP, it depends entirely on what your interests are. The other "big cities" are generally not as diverse or interesting as London, but many of the smaller towns and cities (Bath, Oxford & Canterbury spring to mind) are highly worthwhile, each is readily explored in a day trip and each will give you an entirely different experience to London.

On the other hand, the countryside and National Parks are completely different, both from one another and from the City experiences. The Scottish National Parks are amongst the most worthwhile in all of Europe and Scotland, in general, is incredibly beautiful, though perhaps better explored in a dedicated trip on its own. The British coastline is also pretty dramatic and varied, though really you would need to hire a car to make the most of it.

It's easy enough to fly or take trains to and from London and the relatively small size of the UK makes this pretty quick and painless. Don't even contemplate driving into London, incidentally!

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2019 4:02 PM

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

As to my interests, my husband and I see a lot of theater in London and go to all the museums, small and large. We also love all the silly tourist stuff like The Tower, Buckingham Palace, 22b Baker Street, etc. And in past years we've taken great day trips to Bath, Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge and Rye.

So we're going this spring to catch a few shows but would love to explore some new nearby places.....we could probably give over 4 days to wherever. We definitely don't want to have to drive anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 12February 14, 2019 4:06 PM

Agree with R10 on Edinburgh or Glasgow. Those cities are thriving right now.

by Anonymousreply 13February 14, 2019 4:11 PM

R12 This is R11 here, If you have already spent time in England then I would absolutely 100% agree with others that you should spend your allocated 4-ish days in Scotland (and I say this as an Englishman!). The train journey is nice (if you time it so as to avoid crowded trains) although mainly only in the northern-most stretch, but personally, I would fly from City Airport (which is very central, and thus quick to get to) to Edinburgh as this will save you a fair chunk of time (each way) that you can instead spend on sightseeing.

Edinburgh is a major cultural centre, so you will find a good selection of museums, theatre and other art hubs to explore. I would suggest using it as a hub and consider taking day trips out from the city if time and inclinations allow.

by Anonymousreply 14February 14, 2019 4:41 PM

Well go up to Edinburgh on the train and stop at York for the night. Explore the Rambles and The Minster. Take a day out to Glasgow for the arts. Dundee perhaps for the new V&A.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 14, 2019 4:48 PM

The train ride up to Edinburgh is gorgeous as is the city. Check out the National Museum of Scotland - it's free entry and you can easily spend half a day there. Nice coffee shop too.

Depending on how much time you have Newcastle and Berwick on Tweed are both stops on the way from York to Edinburgh and have some good stuff too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 14, 2019 4:54 PM

From a well travelled queen, R7 said it best. I also liked York. I did like Dublin. The irish and scottish are very very nice and welcoming. London see Sir John Soanes museum, the Egyptian museum at the U of London and Charles Dickens house. Also tour one or more of the historic cemeteries. The Tower of london and crown jewels are over rated. Covent Garden is nice, stop in at the Tin Tin store. Try to see a good play, be forewarned, the theatres are ancient and the seats are miserably small if you are tall. Go yo Selfridges and as z tourist you must see Harrods even though it's kitschy and trashy. Great small museum is the Wallace collection. Cheetio!

by Anonymousreply 17February 14, 2019 5:35 PM

York and up on north to Scotland.

You don’t have enough time for Wales. Plus, you need to drive or hire a car service in advance (we did). But put Northern Wales on your list of places to go next time. Not only is it physically gorgeous and full of history, but the friendly people really do speak Welsh and are eager to share it with you. It’s truly a fascinating language. Many geology terms and Lord of the Rings are based on it. The little towns have delightful B&Bs. The museum at Caernarfon Castle, Wales is incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 14, 2019 6:28 PM

Oh dear God - Belfast banging!?! Maybe not the hell hole it once was but not worth visiting unless you have to fly through. Even Dublin is better and more exciting - and I’m not a fan of Dublin. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Paris and Amsterdam. Cotswolds/Oxford/Bath for shorter, quieter getaways.

by Anonymousreply 19February 14, 2019 6:44 PM

I have to disagree with the previous post about Wales. I've found Welsh people to be inhospitable at best, mean spirited at worst. And I've lived there.

by Anonymousreply 20February 14, 2019 6:49 PM

I lived in Wales back in the 90's and the Welsh were just lovely and kind. Sure there were some assholes here and there but what country doesn't have them. I lived in Cardiff and Wrexham. Both are beautiful places. Add Swansea , Newport or Llanelli as "city" destination. Snowdioa National Park is jaw dropping GORGEOUS! Go if you can.

by Anonymousreply 21February 14, 2019 6:59 PM

Who is this fool ragging on Dublin. Spent a week there earlier this year and loved it. The food is fantastic and the people are friendly beyond belief. Easy-to-use public transportation, some great museums, fascinating history and some A+ attractions like Kilmainham Gaol, Phoenix Park (the wild deer are awesome), the botanic gardens and Glasnevin Cemetery.

Can’t believe anyone could speak ill of this city.

by Anonymousreply 22February 14, 2019 7:13 PM

I agree with the posters who indicate that you should fly from London to Edinburgh/Glasgow. Yes, the train ride is lovely, but you lose time that you could best spend elsewhere. I spent a couple of days in York in the spring & while it is a beautiful old city, it was dirty and trash was everywhere - I was kind of disappointed. Depending on what you want from a vacation, I'd take the train from Glasgow (now that's a lovely train ride!) and explore the Highlands. Ireland should be a stand alone trip and as others have noted, I wouldn't bother with Dublin unless you're there to party (though people are very friendly)

by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2019 7:31 PM

R21 look online at customer reviews of hospitality industry businesses in Wales, then come back and tell me how lovely they are. They're also quite stingy, but that's least of the faults.

by Anonymousreply 24February 14, 2019 7:34 PM

I'm not a fan of Wales or Dublin, both places I wouldnt rush back to.

Big shout out to the person suggesting taking the West Highland line from Glasgow up to Fort William. It is simply stunning. You can even go up to Mallaig on the Harry Potter train if you want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 14, 2019 7:51 PM

r20 / R24, ENOUGH!

Okay, we get it! Welsh men don't want to fuck you. Move on and get some sleep, hon. Sheeeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2019 8:07 PM

Where's the best place? Glasgow? Edinburgh? Dublin? Some quaint town in Wales? The English countryside?

Edinburgh is beautiful and has a lot to see in it (including the phenomenal National Museum of Scotland, Holyrood House, and Edinburgh castle) . Glasgow is very nineteenth-century and is a broken-down industrial city---if you like that sort of thing, it's very charming, but usually the people who like it best are people interested in 19th-c. history. Its #1 tourist attraction, the Mackintosh-designed Glasgow School of Art, just burned down for the second time, and it will be years before it is restored.

Dublin is thriving and bustling, but for some people its too corded and actually too unexpectedly cosmopolitan. It has tons of stuff that's interesting if you're into Irish history and fiction, however, and great museums.

I think the best parts of both Scotland and Ireland are the countrysides. The area in Scotland around Loch Ness is particularly beautiful, but the whole nation is gorgeous. Same with Ireland--it is so lush and green and beautiful. I particularly recommend in Ireland the town of Sligo and environs (which is often called yeats Country, because he spend beloved vacations around their as a child and wrote about it constantly) and also the Dingle Peninsula. I highly recommend the beautiful small city of Cork, though there's not much to do there; the university city of Galway is not terribly interesting, but you can visit a lot of things in Western Ireland from there is you use it as your base of operations.

Northern Ireland also has beautiful countryside, and the area up by the Giant's Causeway is spectacular. I like Belfast quite a bit and they have quite a bit to see there (including a great museum about the Titanic), but it's a very Edwardian city and not to all tastes.

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2019 8:15 PM

Half of the population of North Wales are from Liverpool (Scousers), it is very rundown. It would also take longer to get there than to Edinburgh because of the neglected transport infrastructure.

South Wales is generally fairly nice and quite easy to get to from London.

by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]Where's the best place? Glasgow? Edinburgh? Dublin? Some quaint town in Wales? The English countryside?

Pick one of these, maybe two at most. You can’t do London and the equivalent of 3 other countries in 9 days.

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2019 8:47 PM

Everyone I know who has been to Ediinburgh has always raved about it. Probably best in summer I imagine. This thread is making me want to go.

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2019 9:07 PM

I did a 2+ week trip that started in Dublin for 3 days (where I got around by bike and public transport), then Belfast for a day by train, the Edinburgh by flight, several days touring Scotland by car, then to London by car. In London I ditched the car and got around via tube, then train and ferry back to Dublin for my return flight to the US.

Dublin by bike and mostly streetcar was more than fine, and the train to Belfast was a nice view. Scotland by car was awesome--we did our own version of a castle tour (you can get passes for multiple castles but you have to be careful because they all work for different castles--some are privately owned and others by the government), and we covered a good portion of the lowlands. Also Scots are incredibly patient drivers and there are practically no streetlights anywhere because it's so sparse, so it's a great place to practice opposite side driving. I was able to master it in about a day, and by the time we got to London I was very comfortable. Getting used to the roundabouts is tough though, even for someone who used to live in DC and is well familiar with traffic circles. We drove through the gorgeous Lake District to get to London and a bit out of our way to see Bath and other sites. The tube was more than sufficient to get around London, and the train and ferry back to Dublin was a gorgeous ride. Also, there are great speedboat rides on the Thames in London that were lots of fun.

We also blew a flat near Loch Ness and had to be towed 4 hours back to where we were staying in Edinburgh. Great conversation with the nicest lorry driver who was very much pro-independence and PISSED that it didn't happen. This was long before Brexit, so I'd love to hear what he has to say now.

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2019 10:01 PM

R30, I loved every inch of Scotland that I saw.

by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2019 10:01 PM

My boyfriend lives in Edinburgh and so I visit most weeks. It's a great city, full of great museums and restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2019 10:08 PM

Wales? Huge thick uncut cocks.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2019 10:12 PM

[Quote] Wales? Huge thick uncut cocks.

Absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2019 10:28 PM

R30 winter is pretty great there too. Princes Street Gardens decked out in lights and Ferris wheel and skating rink, the fireworks over the castle, the Hogmanay street party... fantastic. They have a thing called Winterfest, lots of street markets and music.

by Anonymousreply 36February 15, 2019 2:07 AM

R26 I've been fucked by plenty of Welsh men while I lived there, they're deficient in that regard as well.

by Anonymousreply 37February 15, 2019 5:13 AM

r37,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38February 15, 2019 5:21 AM

Brighton is fantastic..as is Ireland...Dublin. Galway and Kilarney are amazing...Cheers...

by Anonymousreply 39February 15, 2019 5:25 AM

R38 sure Jan all you want, doesn't change the facts.

by Anonymousreply 40February 15, 2019 5:29 AM

[Quote] doesn't change the facts.

Yes we know you're a bi polar mental case. Anything else, hon?

by Anonymousreply 41February 15, 2019 5:38 AM

Yes, one more thing r41 you Welsh human skin tag, bathe and use deodorant daily, I know that's not de rigueur in Wales, but try it, you might just come to like smelling like a civilized human being.

by Anonymousreply 42February 15, 2019 7:36 AM

I find Wales disappointing and unfriendly.

I stayed at a B&B in Cardiff years ago, and my train was severely delayed because of bad weather, so I called the establishment to explain I would be checking in late. "We'll be closed by 10pm" came the reply. Very inhospitable.

I just found the landscape was ok, nothing outstanding. The amenities were acceptable. It was just ok.

Scotland has the wow factor. England too. Northern Ireland with the Giant's Causeway and history of 'The Troubles' is fascinating. But Wales I would give it a miss.

by Anonymousreply 43February 15, 2019 8:56 AM

Thanks again to everyone who posted.

It looks like we will probably fly into Scotland, spend 3 days there and train down to London, stopping for a night in York. We'll spend 4 days in London. Would anyone care to recommend hotels or B&Bs in York or Edinburgh? We can afford to stay somewhere nice!

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Try The Witchery By The Castle r44. We had the best dinner ever there. The rooms are unique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2019 11:43 PM

The pub at the Lamb & Lion Inn in York is great, but I wouldn't stay there again.

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2019 11:51 PM

I'm heading to EDI for a wk in the summer. Any recommendations for lodging (other than Balmoral)?

by Anonymousreply 47February 17, 2019 5:50 PM

My boyfriend lives in Edinburgh, I was there last week, so I know the city pretty well.

R45 makes a great recommendation. My boyf loves eating at The Witchery.

Have a Royal day and do The Royal Mile, The Palace of Hollyrood House and take the bus to Ocean Terminal and see The Royal Yacht. Stop off for a bite at Valvona's and see where The Queen does her shopping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 17, 2019 6:14 PM

I also own racehorses, which are stabled in Yorkshire, so I know York a little too.

The train journey from Edinburgh to York is about 3 hours, so set off early. York is a great place to walk around. Go to The Shambles and walk around the small shops. York Minster is the Cathedral there which goes back to the 600s, but the building was started in the mid 1300s. You celebrate Haloween, but we celebrate Bonfire Night on 5th November, when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up The Houses of Parliament and King James 1 in 1605. You can stay at his house. Its a hotel.

Any questions OP. Ask away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 17, 2019 6:23 PM

R47 Are you going for the Edinburgh Festival in August?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Try to avoid going through Midsomer. It's England's equivalent of Cabot Cove.

by Anonymousreply 51February 17, 2019 6:31 PM

Thanks for your post, r49.

If we're determined to take a train from Edinburgh to London, do you think York is the best town to do a day/overnight on the way? Is there a better stopover?

Any other opinions also welcomed!

by Anonymousreply 52February 17, 2019 6:36 PM

R52 Your choices really are:

Newcastle Durham York

If you like the arts then The Baltic Centre in Newcastle will be of interest to you. Newcastle is a lovely city. The natives are called Geordies. They have cute accents. The young women of the city are noted for wearing the least amount of evening wear in the most harshest of weathers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 17, 2019 6:41 PM

If you wanted to consider going directly from Scotland to London, a berth in the Caledonian Sleeper is supposed to be a pleasant experience (see Youtube for reviews).

by Anonymousreply 54February 17, 2019 6:41 PM

Geordie women in the evening. And yes that is snow.

The Caledonian Sleeper is also a a great way to get there overnight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 17, 2019 6:45 PM

Welsh, Scottish or British men. Who are best in bed?

by Anonymousreply 56February 17, 2019 6:47 PM

There was an Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and a Northern Irishman....

by Anonymousreply 57February 17, 2019 6:48 PM

ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 58February 17, 2019 6:49 PM

The problem with the Caledonian Sleeper is that it takes so long and you miss the great scenery.

The London-Edinburgh train route is gorgeous and takes you through some of the most 'important' British cities. The Sleeper, while an interesting 'experience', is very much the lesser compared to the day train.

by Anonymousreply 59February 17, 2019 6:51 PM

Do everyday men in Scotland wear kilts on a daily basis?

by Anonymousreply 60February 17, 2019 6:51 PM

R59 is correct. You pass some great scenery travelling up to and down from Edinburgh, particularly through Northumberland.

The night sleeper gives you a nights accomodation though, whilst you're travelling, so it just depends on what is more important.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 17, 2019 6:54 PM

The Caledonian Sleeper is great for Fort William and Inverness, where you travel through great scenery in the morning. Because it arrives early at Edinburgh you wont see that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 17, 2019 6:57 PM

Dublin's a snooze. Edinburg is far more interesting. The Highlands of Scotland are gorgeous but roads are few and far between, very narrow and travelling is very slow.

Go to Oxford instead.

by Anonymousreply 63February 17, 2019 7:02 PM

R63 Oxford is a day trip from London at the very most. I really wish more people would actually look at a map of the UK before making these idiotic recommendations. ONLY American tourists have ever spent a night in any of those English cities. Anyone in the UK goes there for a day and no more.

by Anonymousreply 64February 17, 2019 7:15 PM

R60 My experience is that the further north you go in Scotland, the more often you see men in kilts on a day to day basis.

Edinburgh you'll see 2-3 a day. But yes you will see men in kilts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 17, 2019 7:19 PM

The place I most love in the UK is the Isle of Skye. You take the ferry over from Eilean Donan a fascinating old castle. On Isle of Skye you see whales in the bay, otters in the rivers, seals on the beach. It's hilly and when you drive the little roads, the road suddenly disappears from view, dips, and it's like you've reached the end of the world. Then you discover a bunch of sheep in the middle of the road. Gorgeous knitwear there. But no way is it a day trip from London. Several days at the least.

by Anonymousreply 66February 17, 2019 7:24 PM

R56 Welsh and Scottish are British. The island of Great Britain is where the countries of England, Scotland and Wales are located. These nations are British. Northern Ireland is part of the UK along with the 3 countries located on Great Britain. So in summary; 3 countries are British, 4 make up the United Kingdom.

Of all of these, Scotland is the most beautiful in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 67February 17, 2019 8:25 PM

To the person asking about kilts - no-one apart from the Royal Family wears them on a daily basis. People of Scottish (and some Irish) descent wear them to weddings or other formal occasions but absolutely no-one wears them out and about.

A friend of mine who is Scottish through and through has worn a kilt once in his life, and that was on his wedding day in his mid-thirties.

by Anonymousreply 68February 17, 2019 8:35 PM

Kilts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 17, 2019 8:45 PM

Question...best tour service to get to Highclere Castle from London and any tips?

I am NOT going to drive...Americsn tourist here, have been to Scotland and Ireland twice and London 10 or 11 times, so I know the city and those awful tours that leave Victoria. Better alternatives?

by Anonymousreply 70February 17, 2019 9:03 PM

Fly to Dublin then to Edinburgh, then train to Liverpool then train to Cambridge, down to Windsor, Oxford, Bath, Stonehenge and then to London.

by Anonymousreply 71February 17, 2019 9:10 PM

R70 You're a Downton Abbey fan?

Why not just take the train out to Newbury and grab a taxi from there to Highclere?

Newbury is a lovely old coaching town.

Drop the tourist information an email and ask them if a local firm runs tours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 17, 2019 9:54 PM

Train £27 return after 9:30am Taxi £28/30 return Entry ticket £23 Total £70

by Anonymousreply 73February 17, 2019 10:07 PM

R68 the character Duncan (played by Hamish Clark) off BBC soap drama MONARCH OF THE GLEN wore a kilt as his uniform to work. Are you telling us that was pure fantasy, fiction, lies & deception?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 17, 2019 10:32 PM

You do occasionally see people wearing kilts, just not a huge amount. They are very much on view at rugby matches, seems like everyone wears one around Murrayfield stadium on match days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 17, 2019 10:50 PM

Scots only wear kilts to get married or to go to Burns Night. Sometimes there are parties on St. Andrew's and you can wear a kilt to that. Otherwise, you look like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 76February 18, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]On Isle of Skye you see whales in the bay, otters in the rivers, seals on the beach.

Bears at the gloryholes?

by Anonymousreply 77February 18, 2019 1:48 AM

Go to Crawley to see the grave of Lord Alfred Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 78February 18, 2019 4:23 AM

And just how many inches was that piece of Scotland?

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2019 5:27 AM

R76 never been to a rugby match obviously.

by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2019 11:58 AM

bumping for a fellow traveler

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2019 3:20 PM

R74 I've got the boxset of Monarch of the Glen. I love that programme. I stayed near Glenbogle a few years ago.

As has been said, men don't regularly wear kilts, but you'll see 2 to 3 a day in Edinburgh. Mainly bagpipers on Princes Street collecting the odd quid here or there. Rugby matches at Murrayfield attract loads too.

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2019 6:23 PM

Rugby matches don't count. People paint their faces too - doesn't mean that's part of 'normal kilt-wearing'. Weddings and Burns Night are.

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2019 7:04 PM

What the fuck do you mean rugby matches don’t count? Men wearing kilts was the subject. Men wear kilts at rugby matches. Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2019 8:17 PM

My kilt is hanging up in my wardrobe now. I've worn it out and about in Edinburgh before. Nice Arran jumper and a day sporran.

I think men look very elegant in them. This guy is kitted out in posh day wear. For weddings you'd go posher with an Argyle or a Prince Charlie jacket and full on sporran.

You wont see many, but you'll see the odd piper in town, or hotel staff or people heading off to weddings in them. Not many, just 1 or 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 19, 2019 12:11 AM

What do Scotsmen keep in their sporrans?

by Anonymousreply 86February 19, 2019 12:16 AM

My money and keys

by Anonymousreply 87February 19, 2019 12:18 AM

Except for dancing and weddings, I never wore mine. Ceremonial events.

by Anonymousreply 88February 19, 2019 2:19 AM

R66 agree with you about the Isle of Skye being a magical place....but when were you last there? There's been a bridge to the mainland for a long time now.

by Anonymousreply 89February 19, 2019 3:04 AM

I’d like to respectfully remind the rugby supporter that football fans also wear kilts.

by Anonymousreply 90February 19, 2019 3:14 AM

Forgot to mention my favorite tidbit about visiting the isles. Sheep EVERYWHERE in Scotland and England. Way more sheep than people. The only place I didn't see sheep was in London. The funniest sheep experience was driving on an expressway (called motorways there) in England from I think Bath to London. Just like with US expressways, the road sometimes divides with a patch of grass/green between the different directions. Going past one such divide, there was a huge flock of sheep grazing on the grass, totally calm, seemingly not bothered at all by the traffic and noise. We couldn't stop staring, wondering how the fuck did they get there?!

by Anonymousreply 91February 19, 2019 3:40 PM

The only time you'll see sheep in London R91 is when a celebrity is made a Freeman of the City of London and they hire in a few.

One of the priviledges is being able to take a flock of sheep over London Bridge.

Apart from that, sheep rearing in a urban setting is generally frowned upon. Here we see Dame Barbara Windsor exercising her right as a Freeman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 19, 2019 3:48 PM

Classic Cuisine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93February 19, 2019 5:04 PM

^^^Just a list of London cafes. Nothing that reflects all of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 94February 19, 2019 5:27 PM

R93 making me peckish there.

Do remember that in Edinburgh you'll have haggis, full scottish breakfast, cullen skink, kippers, bridies, scotch pies, etc as alternatives. As we don't tend to eat that rubbish down here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 19, 2019 5:45 PM

I agree with R3, the Cliffs of Moher are spectacular.

Also see Galway, Waterville (Charlie Chaplin's favorite vacation spot), Connemara, and the National Stud in Kildare, if you're into horses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 19, 2019 5:58 PM

R92, I wasn't expecting to see sheep in London. My point was they are so ubiquitous on the Isles that London was the only place I didn't see them.

by Anonymousreply 97February 19, 2019 9:52 PM

give me some "bangers and mash" LOL

by Anonymousreply 98February 19, 2019 9:57 PM

R97 There’s a part of the M8 (the highway between Edinburgh and Glasgow) where there is a massive earth sculpture of pyramids and the farmer who owns the land dyes his sheep various colors and lets them loose to graze on the pyramids. It’s quite a surprise as you drive along. The M8 is lined with artworks, it makes a humdrum highway a lot more interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99February 19, 2019 11:43 PM

R89 years ago - there was no bridge then, just a ferry. Very romantic.

by Anonymousreply 100February 20, 2019 12:04 AM

Take the train. When you count getting to one of London's far flung airports, then getting through security, the flight time, etc., It likely works out the same time wise.

by Anonymousreply 101February 20, 2019 12:11 AM

What about Finn and Haddie?

Very smart advice about the train, r101.

by Anonymousreply 102February 20, 2019 2:30 AM

Also with the train you get to see the countryside, get up to stretch your legs, have ample seat room etc. Much more comfortable in every way.

by Anonymousreply 103February 20, 2019 12:00 PM

Do they still have fish and chip shops, or is that long gone?

by Anonymousreply 104February 20, 2019 10:27 PM

No, we still have chippys everywhere.

Bloody good they are too!

by Anonymousreply 105February 20, 2019 10:45 PM

If you plan to visit Scotland, break up the journey with a few days in Yorkshire. York itself is always worth a visit, but I recommend a few days in the country, especially Settle and Ribble. And definitely take a train journey on the Settle-Carlisle line, some of the most spectacular scenery in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 106February 22, 2019 11:01 AM

Settle-Carlisle is pretty enough but for jaw dropping spectacular grandeur the West Highland Railway is the journey to take. It encompasses fjords, waterfalls, palm trees, silvery bays, mountains... lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107February 22, 2019 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!