Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Understatedly Gay Presidential Candidate Pete Buttigieg Can Throw Some Shade

"Norah O’Donnell positioned her eyebrows skeptically. 'You’re thirty-seven, you represent a town of a hundred and two thousand people—did I get that right? What qualifies you to be President of the United States?' Buttigieg, who has pale skin, thick brown hair, and a formal manner, gave a self-deprecating laugh. 'I know that I’m the youngest person in this conversation, but ....'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 12, 2019 3:22 AM

"You’re thirty-seven, you represent a town of a hundred and two thousand people—did I get that right? What qualifies you to be President of the United States?"

But hosting Celebrity Apprentice qualifies someone to be president?!

by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Trump was unqualified and that has been a disaster. "Mayor Pete" is also unqualified and would also be disaster, although undoubtedly less so than Trump. Anyway, he knows he has zero chance and is just raising his profile, but I suspect that will ultimately be unsuccessful. He should move out of Indiana if he wants the big job.

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2019 6:04 PM

Yeah, the difference is Pete isn't a bigoted piece of shit like Trump

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2019 6:06 PM

Fuck Norah and her skeptical eyebrows. She's 's notoriously snobby cunt and her husbands restaurants are shitty. And her grating fake laugh makes me puke.

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2019 6:07 PM

I love Pete and I find him incredibly genuine and smart. Does he have much of a chance? Not in this homophobic country. But I really like that he's in the race and I would gladly volunteer my time for his campaign in whatever capacity.

by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2019 6:08 PM

That was funny.

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2019 6:11 PM

[Quote] Does he have much of a chance? Not in this homophobic country.

A mayor of some no name city running for President wouldn't be taken any more seriously.

The fact that he is gay has at least helped him get more media attention.

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2019 6:12 PM

Wouldn't be taken anymore seriously if he were straight*

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2019 6:13 PM

He's also getting attention because, as the article points out, established Democrats like Obama have mentioned him as someone to keep an eye on.

by Anonymousreply 9February 13, 2019 6:16 PM

He could win. He's not a screaming queen. What experience did Obama have? Zip. Being gay is not a detriment in most places. Although the religion of peace would never vote for him, more than likely would toss him off a building. Many people thought Trumps predecessor was gay, and he won. He actually has much more political experience than Obama had.

by Anonymousreply 10February 13, 2019 6:17 PM

I'd vote for him, but like others have alluded, probably no chance in this overly Fake-Christian, not so secular nation. I don't think it helps for politicians to be announcing their candidacy so prematurely ⸺ gives the Republicans even more time to expand their smear campaign. My wild hunch is that the primary winner this go-around is going to be someone who announces their candidacy at the 23rd hour.

by Anonymousreply 11February 13, 2019 6:17 PM

Obama was a US Senator when he declared r10, that is a world away from being a mayor. Just the reality.

Any senator who declares for President is treated like a serious candidate.

by Anonymousreply 12February 13, 2019 6:20 PM

Obama was a media star. Great performer. Terrible president. Nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 13February 13, 2019 6:23 PM

The only people who thought -- or think -- that Obama was gay are right-wing fringe lunatics.

And people are out of their minds if they think that being gay wouldn't be an enormous handicap in a 50-state election.

by Anonymousreply 14February 13, 2019 6:23 PM

"A mayor of some no name city running for President wouldn't be taken any more seriously."

Trump won the election despite no political experience whatsoever

"Obama was a media star. Great performer. Terrible president. Nice guy."

Only terrible to stupid freepers like you

by Anonymousreply 15February 13, 2019 6:25 PM

Can OP learn how to post correctly?

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2019 6:27 PM

R14 I live in Chicago and quite a few upper echelon top people have rumors about O.'s sexuality. He looked good, had impeccable grooming, spoke intelligently, but really was pretty clueless as a leader. Just facts, ma'am.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2019 6:28 PM

...Here come da' Gieg"!

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2019 6:29 PM

"He looked good, had impeccable grooming, spoke intelligently, but really was pretty clueless as a leader"

Obviously the Log Cabinettes would use "clueless" to describe the guy who saved the economy and ended the ban on gays in the military

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2019 6:31 PM

Is his name pronounced butt-gig or butt-pig?

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2019 6:35 PM

R19 SAVED THE ECONOMY??? You watch too much manic. Go back to the short bus.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2019 6:39 PM

I am growing more and more convinced every day that we are living in the Matrix. The Dickensian names alone...

Bernie "made off" with people's money.

Anthony's "weiner" got him in trouble.

Someone named "Pecker" knows secrets about what many high ranking officials do with theirs.

Now a gay presidential candidate with the name "Booty gig."

Some alien is really fucking with our SIMS characters.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2019 6:40 PM

I would like to see him in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2019 7:11 PM

As has been said, his problem is geography. He is unlikely to win a statewide election in Indiana.

If he was in a bluer state he could easily be running for Senator or Governor.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2019 7:13 PM

Surely he can win a House seat somewhere in Indiana?..

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2019 7:15 PM

"A mayor of some no name city running for President wouldn't be taken any more seriously."

Remember me? I was the mayor of Wasilla and a major party nominee for VP, only a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2019 7:15 PM

Sarah Palin was the Governor of Alaska r26 (god help them).

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2019 7:18 PM

Pete is cute but thirsty for attention, bless her heart. I guess he wanted his 15 minutes.....

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2019 7:20 PM

[quote]Trump was unqualified and that has been a disaster. "Mayor Pete" is also unqualified and would also be disaster, although undoubtedly less so than Trump.

That wasn't R1's point though. R1 was asking why this woman was willing to ask such a blunt question of a young Democrat who is actually in public life, as an elected mayor, but she was not of a slimy, crude huckster like Trump, who had NO government service while at the same time having a proven record of violating the law, racial discrimination, and stunning incompetence at running things.

So, why DIDN'T she ask Trump that?

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2019 7:24 PM

Until she quit, not even finishing one term, R27.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote]"A mayor of some no name city running for President wouldn't be taken any more seriously."

[quote]Remember me? I was the mayor of Wasilla and a major party nominee for VP, only a heartbeat away from the Oval Office.

There's a difference, of course, between a person putting their hat in the ring and asking to be selected by a party to be the presidential nominee, and a person being chosen, as a PR and vote-getting gimmick, by a nominee of a party to the presidency. Notice Sarah Palin never ran for president, she was chosen by some advisors to McCain.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2019 7:33 PM

I could maybe see him being a legit, out-of-left-field VP choice.

by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2019 7:35 PM

He really should move to another state and then run for office. There's nothing left for him in Indiana. I like him but this country isn't ready for a gay President. Maybe in 20-30 years, but not now.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2019 7:42 PM

Aww bless her heart for thinking she can be president....I’m guessing she has ulterior motives for this publicity.

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2019 7:49 PM

I don’t agree r33. That doesn’t mean I’m supporting him, but people said the same thing about Obama, that we would never elect a black President. We heard we would never elect a woman — the popular vote proved that citizens were ready for that too.

If Pete builds a lot of momentum and can inspire people, he could actually win. But it’s way too soon to tell. He would need to get some serious media coverage within the next three to six months, then the window of opportunity will close for 2020 for Pete. Time will tell.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2019 9:13 PM

They always dig every morsel of dirt up on all Presidential candidates so as a gay man, I’m sure there are some bad, bad things he has done in the past. Think of all the drug fueled nights filled with cocaine, poppers and buttsex.....someone, somewhere has to have a picture.

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2019 9:17 PM

Oh please r36, not every gay man has led a drug-fueled hedonistic life — though I do feel sorry for those gays.

by Anonymousreply 37February 13, 2019 9:20 PM

Where's the "throwing shade" part, OP?

by Anonymousreply 38February 13, 2019 9:26 PM

R37- I respectfully disagree. Although I’m an upstanding productive member of society now (age 47) every gay many I ever knew did lots of drugs/alcohol/group sex in their youth. It’s the lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2019 9:27 PM

Well then, R39. I guess because you hang with a bunch of whores, that means all gay men are whores.

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2019 9:35 PM

R39, I do agree it is very commonplace in gay culture. But it is also a seeeping generalization. Yes, I did the same, but I definitely know people who didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2019 9:37 PM

Got married this past June

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2019 9:39 PM

With a name like "Buttplug" what would you expect?

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2019 9:41 PM

I'm sorry, but I really don't want him to be president.

He ain't ready.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2019 9:43 PM

R40 - so are you telling me that you’re perfect and always have been?

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2019 9:43 PM

There's a lot of space between being "perfect" and being a "drug/alcohol/group sex" fiend. But yes, I can honestly tell you that I did not spend my youth in drug/alcohol fueled orgies. I've never done any drugs, though I do drink alcohol (now, but rarely in my youth). But a couple of margaritas at dinner never led to me being the receiver of a bukkake or the like. I've been out since I was 23 and I've been partnered/married since I was 28. I had some random hookups during college and my twenties, but probably no more than my average straight counterpart. Then again, I've never lived the "lifestyle" as R39 calls it. My gay "lifestyle" consisted of being sexually and emotionally attracted to other men, not spending all my time in a sling with an "Open for Business" sign hanging from my nutsack. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2019 10:02 PM

And let me be clear, I don't care if someone was a whore in their youth or in their mature years. It's not my place to judge. My motto has always been "Live and let live." I just wanted to counter R39's assumption that all gay men have been/are "drug/alcohol/group sex" maniacs.

I do like to suck cock, though. So if that makes me a whore, then so's your mother.

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2019 10:11 PM

I can see a gay president in my lifetime. Just not quite yet.

I do assume that if Pete has aspirations for higher office, he is probably fairly clean. He has to have a staid and squeaky clean background, like Conor Lamb ⸺ now there is a candidate who the Republicans can't gather any dirt on.

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2019 10:16 PM

The problem with moving from Indian, which he would have to do, is he then immediately becomes a carpetbagger. A gay carpetbagger, sounds like a slur but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2019 10:40 PM

I meant Indiana but omg is that where the name comes from? When will the PC police come for INDIANa??

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2019 10:41 PM

He's witty. They only wrote "throw some shade" because he's gay though, underlining why he has no chance at becoming President.

by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2019 10:49 PM

R40 - I was a drugged-up alcoholic whore in my youth and now I’m just a plain old whore in my “mature years.” Thanks for not judging me....I’m with you - I think we can all get along ☮️ ✌️

by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2019 11:47 PM

Never took drugs. Drank socially. Never did orgies, had maybe three 3 ways. Never had an STD. Had lots of boyfriends. When I was 17, I became lovers with a handsome 29 year old married man who had 2 kids. We had a secret relationship as I went through college. Had my share of men, like most straight guys have their share of women.

by Anonymousreply 53February 14, 2019 12:12 AM

[quote]So if that makes me a whore, then so's your mother.

Triggered.

by Anonymousreply 54February 14, 2019 12:18 AM

R51 here didn't realize that was OP's own commentary. Whoops

by Anonymousreply 55February 14, 2019 12:31 AM

That's some real amateur "shade."

by Anonymousreply 56February 14, 2019 12:42 AM

Harvard grad, Rhodes Scholar, Afghan Vet...and we're arguing about drug-fueled sex parties.

Please respect the man and his desire to be a strong leader and man of character.

He is a future star in the Democratic Party and this is just the right path for him to take as Indiana is too much of a red state for him to win a state-wide office.

by Anonymousreply 57February 14, 2019 1:05 AM

Worst name in politics, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 58February 14, 2019 1:20 AM

Well, Hillary Clinton got elected to the Senate from New York, so there's that. I mean, no one ever accused her of being a native New Yorker.

I hope he packs his carpet bag and wins.

by Anonymousreply 59February 14, 2019 1:23 AM

Where is the "shade"? All I see is irritating use of "conversation." Obama started, or at least accelerated, the overuse of "conversation." Thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 60February 14, 2019 1:25 AM

r21 is a complete moron, but no one ever accused conservatives of being too intellectual

by Anonymousreply 61February 14, 2019 2:01 AM

Can he win over that AOC person’s demographic? Aren’t they anti-white and anti-gay? He should run as an Independent. Democrats have abandoned white gay men.

by Anonymousreply 62February 14, 2019 2:17 AM

"Democrats have abandoned white gay men."

Silly logic from a freeper troll. Republicans hate gays, whether they are white or not.

"Aren’t they anti-white and anti-gay?"

Only according to trolls like you

by Anonymousreply 63February 14, 2019 2:27 AM

R63 you are a moron. Republicans do not hate gays. Warped mythology. I know MANY very successful Republicans, gay and straight, and the straight ones could give a shit if someone is gay. There are likely many Democrats who hate gays, like your pals from the religion of peace. Why do you think Trump hates gays? Who do you think works in his hotels and restaurants? Trump lives in N.Y. and Florida, both areas simply crawling with homosexuals. Don't believe the media and haters who constantly harp that he hates this group, he hates that group. Prove how he hates gays. He does not hate any group. He is trying to protect the country against illegals, criminals, and terrorists. I am a Democrat and not a trumper, but I believe in the truth, not the wild ragings of wacky media people. Politics are ugly and full of lies.

by Anonymousreply 64February 14, 2019 2:48 AM

[quote] Republicans do not hate gays.

It seems Republican policy might indicate otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 65February 14, 2019 3:00 AM

My personal opinion is that he knows he's a longshot and he's prematurely putting his name out there to put himself in the mix for a Veep consideration.

by Anonymousreply 66February 14, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote]He is trying to protect the country against illegals...I am a Democrat and not a trumper

Oh, my sides! We were rid of the trolls for a while here but, sigh, they seem to have come back, as transparent as always.

No one gives a shit how your Republican friends act toward gays in private. The political issue is that support a party that actively wants to make the rights and equality of gays with straights an optional matter under U.S. law. Their party wants to do away with the right to same-sex marriage. Need I go on? And your tired Muslim-baiting and race-baiting is no more incisive; any actual fundamentalist Muslim who "hates gays" is voting with the fundamentalist Baptists and Ultra-Orthodox Jews who also hate gays.

[quote]Trump lives in N.Y. and Florida, both areas simply crawling with homosexuals

Your choice of words is quite revealing. I don't hear, e.g., Rashida Tlaib or Alexandria O-C using that imagery.

by Anonymousreply 67February 14, 2019 3:03 AM

One of the 12 Keys to the White House is charisma. Pete has it.

A small business man who was Georgia Governor, who?

Wait. the Governor of Arkansas...ARKANSAS?

A one term Senator from the South Side of Chicago...who?

This guy is going to snowball.

by Anonymousreply 68February 14, 2019 3:21 AM

R68 is correct. I actually have a gift for recognizing underdogs. With luck and timing, Pete has the “right stuff” and I actually see greater potential in him than Beto, Kamala, etc. etc.

R64 is simply an asshole. Hey, asshole, I’ll believe what my mother fucking eyeballs show me, mmkay’? I believe Orange Marmalade hates almost every group that isn’t exactly like him because that’s what I’ve witnessed. I don’t need a Talking Head to explain it — I see Dump, he opens his mouth, he then affirms my opinion with his fuckery and assholery. You’re on the wrong site, sister. Now get the fuck out of here >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I trust you can see yourself out.

R68, I’m just hoping Pete gets the right coverage at the right time, he just needs momentum, and there are several ways this could happen. Doing his little press tour is good, but he needs some event to bring more attention to him, and/or a short duet with a bigger star to give him more coverage. A lot of people like what they hear from him, and the normal Americans don’t give a fuck about his sexuality— remember, we “normal” citizens who aren’t bigots make a majority, so ANYthing is possible right now.

by Anonymousreply 69February 14, 2019 3:33 AM

His book is out. Can't wait to get it.

I hope he pulls a Carter and blankets the US with campus visits.

The first time I saw Carter, he was at large table in my dorm cafeteria talking about his policies and Republican corruption.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

by Anonymousreply 70February 14, 2019 3:39 AM

He’s for sanctuary cities, yes? I read that here. Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 71February 14, 2019 3:42 AM

Maybe the time/momentum isn't "right" now for boot-edge-edge but if the morons of 4chan can help elect Trump, why can't this board/community get behind Pete and do the same??? Needs a good push.

by Anonymousreply 72February 14, 2019 3:44 AM

r71, there is no such thing as a sanctuary city in the law.

There ARE cities that chose not to use their policing resources to assist the newly weaponized ICE.

And getting rid of ICE would mean the reinstatement of the UN-weaponized INS.

The INS did a great job for decades before Republicans fucked the department up.

by Anonymousreply 73February 14, 2019 3:49 AM

😂 all of the armchair critics in this thread who think they know shit about politics!! I needed a good laugh....what a bunch of morons.

by Anonymousreply 74February 14, 2019 3:53 AM

Goodbye r74.

by Anonymousreply 75February 14, 2019 3:55 AM

Everyone be quiet! R74 is teaching us. He teaches us discernment. Do continue r74, while we bask in the glow of your wisdom and expertise, oh sage. I am but clay, and you, you are my potter.

by Anonymousreply 76February 14, 2019 4:05 AM

There's no "shade" in pointing out you are younger than someone. Really, not everyone is hung up on age.

by Anonymousreply 77February 14, 2019 4:10 AM

What’s his stance on sanctuary cities?

by Anonymousreply 78February 14, 2019 4:14 AM

Sanctuary cities is a bullshit Republican issue. Tell Olga you failed.

by Anonymousreply 79February 14, 2019 4:26 AM

It's a wide stance, R78.

by Anonymousreply 80February 14, 2019 4:27 AM

I just blocked R74 and his comments prove he's the biggest moron of them all!

by Anonymousreply 81February 14, 2019 5:15 AM

If he's still around for the Texas primary i'll vote for him

by Anonymousreply 82February 14, 2019 5:18 AM

He could go all the way. R69 you are vile, low information, with poor listening skills and poor powers of observation. I know you dropped out of third grade. Perhaps It is time to finish up that GED. Or maybe you have a useless degree you cherish, like modern women's studies? R70 I love Jimmy Carter, but he was a terrible President. Sometimes a fine man with pretty words is not the best choice. See the previous president.

by Anonymousreply 83February 14, 2019 12:49 PM

I am about equally impressed with Buttigieg's and Conor Lamb's resumes ⸺ Democratic, Ivy League-educated, military vets who have put their time in working for the federal government. Gives me hope that there are strong leaders from my generation, climbing up the ranks, ready to steer and lead in the future.

by Anonymousreply 84February 14, 2019 6:33 PM

Buttigieg-Hickenlooper 2020!

by Anonymousreply 85February 14, 2019 6:56 PM

R85, it rolls off the tongue!

by Anonymousreply 86February 14, 2019 7:06 PM

I think he’s too far left. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 87February 14, 2019 7:07 PM

R87, what issues is he too far left on in your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 88February 14, 2019 7:09 PM

I just see buttplug whenever I see his name.

by Anonymousreply 89February 14, 2019 7:12 PM

You are speaking to the same person who said this r87.

[Quote]He should run as an Independent. Democrats have abandoned white gay men

by Anonymousreply 90February 14, 2019 7:15 PM

Ooh, stalker. ^ That’s bizarre. Blocked.

by Anonymousreply 91February 14, 2019 7:21 PM

Good for him for having the balls to be openly gay while carving out a political career. His husband is a lucky fella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92February 14, 2019 8:02 PM

He needs to get out of Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 93February 14, 2019 10:13 PM

R93, I agree. I think his husband should find a job in another state. Pete can use that as a reason for moving, then run for office.

by Anonymousreply 94February 14, 2019 10:18 PM

Is that his real surname or did he take his husband's? There was a mistake made either way

by Anonymousreply 95February 14, 2019 10:26 PM

Is the husband Ernie from my three sons?

by Anonymousreply 96February 14, 2019 11:43 PM

I like his ambition.

by Anonymousreply 97February 15, 2019 1:38 AM

[quote]Is that his real surname or did he take his husband's?

Must be his own. I think his background is Norwegian, at least that's how he made it sound on Morning Joe today. Said he can still read a paper in Norwegian, and also knows a bit of Farsi and (something else). He was very well spoken and makes a great impression.

by Anonymousreply 98February 15, 2019 2:08 AM

His family background is Maltese; his father is from Malta, and his mother's family is whatever from Indiana. He supposedly learned Norwegian to read a Norwegian novel, and then got all into it.

by Anonymousreply 99February 15, 2019 2:31 AM

Love Mayor Pete. He's part of the future of the Dem Party. Marvelous interview with NY Mag today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 15, 2019 2:39 AM

If he leaves Indiana, he'll probably leave the hubby for a hot boytoy

by Anonymousreply 101February 15, 2019 3:11 AM

That's impressive about learning Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 102February 15, 2019 3:11 AM

Watched him on Morning Joe today and he's wicked smart and articulate. Poised and self-confident without looking like a dick. Held his own against Joe's foolishness and even he came away looking impressed. Remember that practically no one knew who Obama was when he announced that he was running for president. Maybe 2020 isn't his year but he has a future in national politics. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2019 3:13 AM

I hate to tell you this, but soon there will be NO democratic party. Pelosi and Schumer are old, smelly, stupid, have one foot in the grave...they are surrounded by IDIOTS like Harris, Cortes, Booker, robert kennedy III, the Virginia governor, Hillary etc. This Indiana guy looks and sounds good; maybe he can begin a new party. Old school patriot democrats or something. The green movement and socialist movement will die. Sure there are media whores and loud tweeters and facebookers...when the dust settles, these clowns will be a paragraph and a cartoon in an online history book. Smarter people will not let Cortes, Omar and Rasheeda destroy this great nation. And if you don't think it's great, why does everyone want to come here? Other than free stuff of course.

by Anonymousreply 104February 15, 2019 3:13 AM

I agree with R104. Gay people voting for far left candidates are FOOLS. And, you have no place on the far left side. They don’t want you.

by Anonymousreply 105February 15, 2019 3:37 AM

Wonder how he and his husband met.

by Anonymousreply 106February 15, 2019 3:41 AM

He's on Colbert tonight, Thursday, Valentine's Day, 2/14, in maybe a half-hour!

Right after DL Fave Bradley Cooper!

by Anonymousreply 107February 15, 2019 3:52 AM

R83 what exactly got you in such a tizzy on r69? No idea what you’re blathering about. “Pretty words”???? If you’d care to elaborate on Pete’s use of Pretty Words not backed by measurable action, I’m all ears?

Yes r103, me too, I really like him. I did a little Googling on immigration and Pete, I am curious where he stands on that. Can’t remember where I read it, but he talked about intergenerational justice, he made a very compelling case for this, framing the tax burden being put on Millennials (and younger) with the #TaxScam, and of course, the environment. He’s a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 108February 15, 2019 3:54 AM

I feel the same way, R84. There are some quality politicians on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 109February 15, 2019 10:27 AM

I wouldn't be so certain that Pete doesn't post here occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 110February 15, 2019 10:55 AM

R110, if he can hack it and be thick-skinned enough to browse or post here, then I like him all that much more.

Here he is in uniform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 16, 2019 3:09 AM

In Afghanistan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 16, 2019 3:10 AM

Booty Call, Booty Gig

by Anonymousreply 113February 16, 2019 3:52 AM

Booty Jig!

by Anonymousreply 114February 16, 2019 12:26 PM

[quote]Republicans hate gays, whether they are white or not.

So does AOC, and her ilk of “progressive” Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 115February 16, 2019 12:35 PM

R115 is among those GOP supporters who are triggered by strong Democratic women, just like Trump is:

Hillary, Nancy, Ruth, Kamala, Diane, Elizabeth, Kirsten and now Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 16, 2019 12:45 PM

I’ve watched two of his interviews and I find him impressive. He’s also a doll, in the best sense.

by Anonymousreply 117February 16, 2019 1:11 PM

HOW DARE YOU R115!

No, just kidding. Don’t post, let your vote do the talking. Yes, the far-left is absolutely homophobic. Vote them out.

by Anonymousreply 118February 16, 2019 1:16 PM

I saw Pete Buttigieg on Late Nite. He seems at least to have a platform and he downplays the gay thing. That being said he's in the exploratory phase of the campaign to see if he can raise the money necessary to be President.

That being said and as someone has already alluded that last name of his does lend itself to ease of joking. Couldn't we have gay candidate with a last name like Smith, Jones, or even something a little more exotic and less pronounceable.

I mean people butcher my last name - it's Italian and people cannot understand the double c in it. It translates if you change the last letter to furrier and if you were to see me in the buff you'd understand why that's the family name.

by Anonymousreply 119February 16, 2019 1:45 PM

What is “the gay thing”?

by Anonymousreply 120February 16, 2019 1:47 PM

R120, his fondness for The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 121February 16, 2019 1:48 PM

Oh, so he’s “straight-acting”. I see. Well, I won’t for that.

by Anonymousreply 122February 16, 2019 1:50 PM

I won’t vote for that.

by Anonymousreply 123February 16, 2019 1:51 PM

I have blocked only a few rancid trolls, and none recently. R104 is skipped so make of it what yoy will.

Back to Pete. He definitely has a future in national politics. He impressed the ladies of The View and made Jake Tapper look like the old hack he has become, during last week's State Of The Union.

The Baby Boom generation, of which I am at the tail end (born 1964), is holding on for dear life but this 2020 election will finally be the death knell for those born in the 1940's who have dominated everthing for far too long (Hilary, Bill, the Bush brothers, Rush, Trump, Roger Stone, etc.)

Pete definitely has what it takes plus one major advantage: he'll outlive them.

by Anonymousreply 124February 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Did anyone else read his comment about "trans woman of color" and think "I bet he reads DL!"

by Anonymousreply 125February 16, 2019 1:53 PM

Oh and Nora O'Donnel is a charmless, overly ambitious horror. She is the main reason the CBS Morning Show's ratings and momentum FELL after Charlie Rose left, while the Today Show's ratings rebounded after Matt departed.

by Anonymousreply 126February 16, 2019 1:54 PM

He's smart and has a future. He should try to get elected to Congress first. It's be easier to move into the VP spot from there.

by Anonymousreply 127February 16, 2019 1:58 PM

I suspect that he was the "discreet" guy you met off Grndr who turned out to be an actual soldier, hot and cute to the point where you could not believe your luck.

I wonder how long he was with the husband before deciding to come out and how difficult the whole decision was.

by Anonymousreply 128February 16, 2019 2:04 PM

Hm, it's so 'understated' it's not even there. I guess not all gays are witty.

by Anonymousreply 129February 16, 2019 2:21 PM

Worse gay name ever!

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2019 2:24 PM

Right now we have to get him over the 200 donor count in all 50 states.

Click the link and send him something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2019 4:26 PM

No^.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2019 4:28 PM

I've seen a few interviews and think he'll end up being one of the front runners in the primaries if he runs. He has an authenticity, which is so important right now, that the others candidates lack. His messaging is on the right course and the other candidates, if they were smart, would take a few lessons from him.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2019 7:10 PM

Send him a small donation and become one of the 200 in your state.

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2019 7:19 PM

Poppers, drugs and a sling? Where do I sign up?

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2019 1:37 AM

Here's an interview and Q&A he did recently. It a little long but it's worth watching, imo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2019 2:04 AM

"Couldn't we have gay candidate with a last name like Smith, Jones, or even something a little more exotic and less pronounceable."

Didn't people say the same thing about Obama?!

Btw, I just contributed to the campaign. Go Pete!!!!

by Anonymousreply 137February 17, 2019 2:15 AM

I guess the 27 or so Dem. candidates are following the (original) Trump plan of getting some free advertising to polish-up your brand. Maybe get some pundit gigs, a TV show, write a book, free travel.

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2019 2:22 AM

bumping

by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2019 3:30 PM

He has a nice voice. I would have examine how he stands on the issues, though.

by Anonymousreply 140February 17, 2019 3:52 PM

I hope he's circumcised.

by Anonymousreply 141February 17, 2019 3:54 PM

I eat piles and piles AND PILES of feces.

Mmm, mm!

by Anonymousreply 142February 17, 2019 3:59 PM

I want him for my president so much.

by Anonymousreply 143February 17, 2019 4:00 PM

I watched his interview on PBS Newshour. He’s clearly very intelligent. I’m actually impressed with the Democratic field so far. They are all flawed but at least the debates will be of substance and about competing ideas. Can’t believe that this is what it has come to...

Also, for some perspective, 15 years ago the GOP used a lot of anti-gay sentiment to get Gwb re-elected. To see an openly gay mayor from a super conservative state run for president is pretty remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 144February 17, 2019 4:01 PM

I like him more and more with every interview I watch. I still don't know if most of America is ready for a gay President. However, enough people may be sick of the current administration for Buttigieg to squeak out a win if he were the nominee.

Buttigieg/Biden 2020?

by Anonymousreply 145February 17, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote] I would have examine how he stands on the issues, though.

At least you didn't ask what his position was.

by Anonymousreply 146February 17, 2019 4:06 PM

He'd be uncut as his father is from Europe.

by Anonymousreply 147February 17, 2019 4:09 PM

He’s a millennial {r146}. Vers.

by Anonymousreply 148February 17, 2019 4:11 PM

Beto/Buttigieg aka "Betobutt"

by Anonymousreply 149February 17, 2019 4:14 PM

It’s pronounced “Boot-edge-EDGE”

I know, right?

by Anonymousreply 150February 17, 2019 4:15 PM

But whatever you do click the ActBlue link and send his a minor donation so that he can make it to the debates.

And Buddah-jedge is more like it no matter what his website says.

Buddah-jedge is how he pronounces it.

He also accepts Buddah-judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 17, 2019 4:18 PM

He has zero gay voice in the clip at R136

Many DLers will claim he can't really be gay or that he's faking his voice.

by Anonymousreply 152February 17, 2019 4:19 PM

r152, if he is truly a Masc4Masc he won't have gay voice.

Grrrrrrllllll, he don't need it.

He is very smart, he ain't ugly, he's married and he has a GREAT resume.

Support him.

by Anonymousreply 153February 17, 2019 4:22 PM

I do R153

It's just that many of your fellow "Grrrrllll"-ers will make the claims I outlined above.

by Anonymousreply 154February 17, 2019 4:26 PM

I think we would have seen accusations of Pete trying to cover up gay voice by now if people suspected it.

by Anonymousreply 155February 17, 2019 4:29 PM

"I'M IMPRESSED WITH THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES." I am mentally deficient and lacking in common sense. I eat feces. The earth is flat. Look at the pretty lights.

by Anonymousreply 156February 17, 2019 5:42 PM

I eat shit!

by Anonymousreply 157February 20, 2019 8:09 AM

He's catty. I like that in a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 158February 20, 2019 7:29 PM

I have seen nothing 'catty' in him.

He's like a Boy Scout with a solid CV.

by Anonymousreply 159February 21, 2019 12:25 PM

He’s running for VP.

by Anonymousreply 160February 21, 2019 2:05 PM

r159, I agree

by Anonymousreply 161February 21, 2019 3:18 PM

HE is a weird green party supporter who flails his arms like a spaz windmill.

by Anonymousreply 162February 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Donate to Pete. Here's his website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 21, 2019 7:30 PM

I donated!

by Anonymousreply 164February 22, 2019 3:06 AM

He was quite good on Pod Save America this morning.

by Anonymousreply 165March 1, 2019 4:33 PM

Gotta link r165?

by Anonymousreply 166March 1, 2019 4:39 PM

Silly episode title but it's very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 1, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote]Although I’m an upstanding productive member of society now (age 47) every gay many I ever knew did lots of drugs/alcohol/group sex in their youth. It’s the lifestyle.

Most gay men don't live the lifestyle of a chem-whore like you...appear to have experienced, but thanks for letting us know you are a filthy slut.

by Anonymousreply 168March 1, 2019 4:49 PM

He's very sensible, judging by today's podcast.

1st thing he's focused on is democratic reform -- fixing the "skeleton" of the republic -- voting rights, national voting holiday, voting security, etc.

He's open to a new arrangement on the Supreme Court, perhaps adding term limits and rotation from the courts of appeals.

He wants people on the coasts to be more careful about talking with and to their fellow Americans, as it can needlessly alienating.

He's very concerned about climate change.

I've been dismissive of him for a while, but he makes a lot of sense. I see him as VP material right now, maybe presidential material. I was dismissive because I saw his running for DNC chair against Perez and Ellison as a cynical attention grab and dismissed him just because of that. But he sounds like a good man and a very smart man.

I'm not sure he's "progressive" in the way those on the far left want, but he does believe social democracy is the goal, it seems. He's a Bernie fan.

by Anonymousreply 169March 1, 2019 4:56 PM

Look, you can be a gay presidential candidate.

You just can't be a gay presidential candidate named "Buttgag."

by Anonymousreply 170March 1, 2019 6:18 PM

He appears to have a good head on his shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 171March 1, 2019 6:20 PM

Good summary, R169, of why I like him too. But not enough of America is ready for a gay President right now. If he was straight he'd be my pick hands down. I think he'd win the primary and general in cakewalk. I think it'll take about 20 years until America is ready, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 172March 1, 2019 6:26 PM

[quote]If he was straight he'd be my pick hands down.

This is why we hate us.

by Anonymousreply 173March 1, 2019 7:14 PM

He's on CNN. With Jake Tapper. And they're spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 174March 11, 2019 1:24 AM

He isn't ready, but he is bright and thoughtful. As mayor, he'll never become President. If he runs for Congress, and makes it to the Senate, he'd have a better chance. He'd also have a chance if he were elected governor. Those could also get him to VP and that would catapult him to contender for the top spot. He's got 20-25 years ahead of him to make good on that.

by Anonymousreply 175March 11, 2019 1:47 AM

Talented people are used to hearing "you're not ready" and forging ahead anyway. They know they're ready.

by Anonymousreply 176March 11, 2019 1:54 AM

He’s really great in this CNN town hall. He has a bright political future.

by Anonymousreply 177March 11, 2019 1:54 AM

People who have only been Senators or Congresspersons, have zero experience running anything larger than their office, which is actually done by their chief of staff. At least mayors have ran a huge organization, which is what most cities are, lots of employees, budgets and local crises.

That doesn't mean a Senator or Congressperson can not be a good leader or that a mayor will be a great leader, I just don't think you should automatically discount the experience of being a mayor.

by Anonymousreply 178March 11, 2019 2:12 AM

Well, Mayor is a better job than "Con Artist and Host of The Apprentice" anyway

by Anonymousreply 179March 11, 2019 2:20 AM

Mayor would give him experience to run for governor. Mayor is executive over a much smaller operation than governor, unless you are talking about a city like New York or Chicago. As far as I'm concerned, Obama didn't have enough experience either. This is not the position for on-the-job training. Obama is a smart guy but he would have done a better job with more experience.

by Anonymousreply 180March 11, 2019 2:26 AM

This guy gets it. He's way more presidential than the Orange Idiot and is sharp. You cannot deny he is well spoken and thoughtful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 11, 2019 6:33 AM

I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. He’s more likely to get the VP spot though.

by Anonymousreply 182March 12, 2019 1:31 AM

Anyone know anything about his husband? How will they handle public appearances?

by Anonymousreply 183March 12, 2019 1:32 AM

I like Mayor Pete, and he is more genuine and smarter than most of the current field.

by Anonymousreply 184March 12, 2019 1:36 AM

I think he's playing it right on positions. He's not going so far left, for example, he wants to field test medicare-for-all before going national, which i think is smart and will play a lot better with voters. It'll be tough but you never now what will happen.

by Anonymousreply 185March 12, 2019 1:39 AM

I just sent his campaign $100

I can’t not support an openly gay man who is getting traction in his run for President

Too bad that gays don’t support gays like other minorities support their own kind

by Anonymousreply 186March 12, 2019 1:40 AM

R172, I cannot STAND that you said he’d be your candidate if he were straight. The same was said about Obama!!! You suffer from a lack of imagination. DL Experts, I call upon you, aren’t the primaries our opportunity to vote for our favorite candidate without the risk being so great? Or do I have it backwards?

I definitely agree, he is not Progressive per se, but it’s like a new hybrid, it’s quite interesting actually. I would call him....a Conservative Progressive maybe? I like it, a lot. He has yet to say anything that horrified me, he has more raw talent than even Beto, so why can’t we support him? I really want to!

by Anonymousreply 187March 12, 2019 1:52 AM

There are some lame people running for President. Pete B. Is NOT one of them.

by Anonymousreply 188March 12, 2019 2:27 AM

I love how people like r175 think they have it all figured out. As if there isn't a conman with zero prior experience with public office in the White House right now. The rules have changed; come join the rest of us in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 189March 12, 2019 2:37 AM

Why didn't he have backbone enough to change that ridiculous name before he went into politics?

by Anonymousreply 190March 12, 2019 2:41 AM

He's the grown-up in the room!

by Anonymousreply 191March 12, 2019 2:41 AM

r190, doesn't it show more backbone to not care what people think about your name?

by Anonymousreply 192March 12, 2019 2:43 AM

Yes, totally agree r189, I cannot *fathom* why people don’t get that the old rules no longer apply. The spell that brought us this curse of a President will be the same spell that will give us raw talent beyond our wildest dreams. This primary will bring us some REAL talent, not a feeling of settling/compromising like last time.

by Anonymousreply 193March 12, 2019 2:43 AM

He is unqualified and he must have a huge ego, that he will go ahead and run. At least he probably has a brain, education and some kind of good character but he should not run.

by Anonymousreply 194March 12, 2019 2:44 AM

^^^A politician with a huge ego? You don't say!

by Anonymousreply 195March 12, 2019 2:48 AM

I think he is exactly what is needed right now. A calming , logical voice of reason and really can reach across the aisle, especially the generational divide.. He almost gets me more excited than Obama did.

by Anonymousreply 196March 12, 2019 2:48 AM

He can not win, even if he is what we need. Warren can not win. Gillibrand can not win and Booker can not win. They should step down.

Biden has a big head but he can not win, neither can Bernie, they should not be in the race.

by Anonymousreply 197March 12, 2019 2:55 AM

You stupid at r192...MOST AMERICANS HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PRONOUNCE THAT NAME. Come on, at least have a name that people can repeat!

by Anonymousreply 198March 12, 2019 3:06 AM

r198, you're stupid. And you are proving that it takes a backbone to stick with your name instead of changing it because people are too dumb to know how to pronounce it

by Anonymousreply 199March 12, 2019 3:09 AM

campaign slogan Buttigieg -You be the judge.!

by Anonymousreply 200March 12, 2019 3:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!